Ippy's Snowboard Buying Guide

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ippy's Snowboard Buying Guide
    Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:40pm
this guide is too old
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:40pm
So its time to make way
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:40pm
For someone else
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

To explain all this
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:41pm
So long
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:41pm
and thanks
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

for all
m00m
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:41pm
c--c-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

the combo brea...
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

...i mean er...
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:42pm
the fish :)
m00m
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:46pm
I just realized I can't delete that post. I thought I could go back afterwards... Sorry Ippy. :(
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:48pm
haha. its no problem.I might just build the guide around it for a larf, or hell, you can write up a half time analysis :)
m00m
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 4:53pm
HAHAHAHAHAHA. There totally needs to be a halftime show in that post. This could be fun!!
Aoiree View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aoiree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 5:45pm
<<< Holder slot for Post Post-Breakdown!

eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 10:25am
found it...bump
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 1:12pm
ippy, you really have to change the title so people can find it, otherwise whats the point, it's not perfect, but it is pretty damn good, and just what some people tuning in need, so title it so they can find it.
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Quote greenmnmsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 1:25pm
sweet write-up man!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 5:24pm
hehe, i dont want people to find it until ive finished its second pass :)
m00m
MickRich View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote MickRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 6:24pm
Too late - I found it but what an excellent find - I wish I'd had something like this to read when I started out. After a low-end, Burton board, I fell into one of the traps you mentioned and bought a Sapient PNB1, which I reckon is one of your category (4), all-mountain freestyle sticks. It's a great board but is super stiff and responsive and therefore better-suited to the advanced rider, which I wasn't! Like your Artec, it's been fun getting to grips with the Sapient and it's progressed my riding but it's limits were and still are well beyond mine! At the end of last season I therefore picked up a Ride Machete and am really looking forward to riding it this winter. Nice one!
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 11:02pm
Dude, this is such a great guide... I've been snowboarding for a few years, doing only intensive research this past year, and this is still crucially useful. All relevant information in one giant guide. Props bro, seriously.

Do you think you can add another subsection on boots/bindings? Those are something I had issues finding out about in the past :) Just a suggestion.
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2010 at 5:12am
too bad, the number of stupid questions this eliminates...bump
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2010 at 9:11pm
its all good, ill just wait till the other thread kinda dies, and then i'll switch it out to this one.
m00m
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 11:16pm
bump, needs to be at the top of the forum page at all times...
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

bump, needs to be at the top of the forum page at all times...

agreed + stickied.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 12:10am
haha, kk, but when i edit that first post (as i will, its going to be the TLDR summary of everything), the sticky will fall off.    

Still, if its up there, i guess i should really be getting on with it :) Cheers guys.
m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 12:44am
Originally posted by fostpaint

Buzzkill. 

I just realized I can't delete that post. I thought I could go back afterwards... Sorry Ippy. :(
If its your own post im pretty sure you can delete it. I have done this many times... 
Options> delete post.
But you will lose 1point!! :0 haha

Thanks heaps Ipp! I had the basic ideas of stuff except the Shapes. 
A binders guide would be great Wink I have no idea on whats the difference in those...
If only Queensland had snow...
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 4:51am
Originally posted by koji3

Buzzkill. 

If its your own post im pretty sure you can delete it. I have done this many times... 
Options> delete post.
But you will lose 1point!! :0 haha

Thanks heaps Ipp! I had the basic ideas of stuff except the Shapes. 
A binders guide would be great Wink I have no idea on whats the difference in those...

Nope, I looked there first. It's all good though. I felt bad for Ippy when I first did it, but now I enjoy the humor in it.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 4:54am
You could always edit it, and make it something more useful. Or ask Ippy what would be best? haha
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 5:02am
haha, he can play with it how he wants. If it was a bother, i would have just redone the thread :) And because i planned around it, it means that the last two GIGANTIC sections have just enough of a mental break because of it, that you'll have a chance to zone back in before ploughing through them. :) It works out great for me :)
m00m
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 5:05am
Lol. Aite then. Sounds peachy. :P
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 1:40am
preachy? it's ippy...at least its accurate and informative but needs to be finished and stickied...bump
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 2:08am
haha! hear what you wanna hear eh eldo :p He said "peachy".
m00m
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Attrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 2:09am
Oh My God!!!!
I know his post can be long and informative. But this trumps it all LOL!!! Nice one, very informative and definitely a good guide to point everyone wanting to buy their first board to.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 2:18am
thanks man, incidentally are those intro and conclusions allowing you to skip the waffle? That's their intention. I almost finished them last night but pulled out my net cable just as i submitted the post for camber. Couldnt be assed to write it out again. Might finish it today.

After that i need:

1. Sidecuts.
2. The nice big intro summary of all the summaries :)
3. Some links.
4. A glossary.

Jesus, i thought i was nearly finished the second pass until i just wrote that.    Ah well... guess i still got a bit to do then

(oh, and then its the third pass where i trim out some of the fat and rewrite some of the parts. Oh, and if anyone fancies throwing up some more recommendations for some boards i've blatantly missed, please do.)
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 6:14am
ah fostpaint, you know what you could do if you want to be an absolute dear?

One of the things thats bugging me about this whole guide is its not woman boarder friendly. theres one token mention of a woman related effect in torsional flex, and outside that theres NADA. If you could maybe throw in a section on some of the stuff i may have overlooked or completely ignored thats utterly different for women i would LOVE THAT!!!

Even if its just some recommendations on decks for each of the sections, that would be peachy :)

And if anyone wants to help him and me out with advice on that, (hi zoe and hana! /wavewave), (especially on the tech parts of things) that would be just grand! :)
m00m
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 12:19pm
It looks good, you need to change the title now. 
started by flossers making floss for flossers
MadSLOOPYyo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MadSLOOPYyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2010 at 5:55am
Big smilesweet post, Glad your talking about BATALEON...YEAH FOR IT!
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Quote sarpedonice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2010 at 12:54pm
Everytime I read this post I find myself too drunk to ride a proper comment. So I've been giving up again and again. :) Lemme try once more...

This is a great reference for anybody especially a beginner who wishes to learn more about snowboard mechanics. Learning all of this will not make you a great rider but it'll put you one step closer to become a complete snowboarder.

You can ride all of your lifetime without knowing any of this. And probably it won't hurt. But if you learn all of this and combine with your natural talent of riding, then it might give you a much better insight of snowboarding. Who knows?

So thanks for your effort ippolite. I might know all of this but it's mostly disorganized, and full of occasional holes here and there, probably like most of the other members who frequent here.

So please keep on writing, and you can be be sure it's being read more than you might know.
Well I'm drunk again and I'm not sure if it was what I wanted to write here, but it's better than not writing at all. Cheers mate!.. Thumbs Up

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2010 at 7:38pm
no worries man. Im glad you liked it. And yeah dude, bataleon number 1 (until i ride it and decide i cant stand it - still want a twin or a riot though, so if youre in korea and sitting on a 2009-2011 riot and want to sell me, hit me up :)).

Oh and added sidecuts. After four hours of reading, writing and tinkering i kinda got sick of it so am holding off finishing it, but can someone who ACTUALLY knows what theyre talking about (ie, not ME), check it and make sure im not cocking it up.

The problem is maybe two-fold i reckons. 1. The emphasis on progressive over radial. Since most people likely ride radial i wanted to make the case for progressive but the more i think about it the more niche it feels. And 2. Vario. Vario bugs the crap out of me because having never ridden it, i cant seem to put my finger exactly how it creates those contacts. I can understand that its kinda the kinks in the smoothness of the arc that play a part, but it doesnt feel like thats explaining anything. Can someone who rides never summer and gets vario just give me something to add in there that i have a feeling ive missed.

Oh and then theres the longitudinally symmetrical sidecuts that start off deep radisu at the tip and tail but balance into a shallower radius near the center. What decks use this? And do i have ANY RIGHT at all calling them progressive.

And then theres mtx. I want to describe it as lots of shallow radii overlapping creating a form of contact so it seems like it follows on from the starting points, but then again, wavy bumps in the effective edge is just way easier to understand and less prone to error.

I knew there was a reason i avoided sidecuts :) Can of fekkin worms if you ask me. :)   
m00m
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 12:14am
bump, really, sidecuts? thought this was for beginners, but we need to get the name changed now....then, is there some way we can keep ppl from leaving post?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 12:25am
Thats why i left it out initially. But the more i was writing the more sidecut kept popping up so i realised i probably needed something a little more detailed about it. And well, possibly people are curious about stuff like vario, mtx, and i also wanted to hype up the nidecker/yes ultimate grip a bit which maybe people dont know so much about. Really i wanted to talk about those techs (but theyre bloody hard because even the manufacturers say almost nothing about them) because like camber its some of the bigger changes going on with snowboards. But to do all that effectively i needed to start at the basics with sidecut radius.

I did actually contemplate also linking in edge stuff like slimewalls as well, and the whole should i, shouldnt i detuning question. But figured what with of course the fact i have never detuned one of my decks, that maybe it was getting a bit fekkin much :)

I guess the big question is, does it sound both understandable and also (and probably more important), legit?

oh, and i cant change the name yet, because editing that first post takes away the sticky. Naturally being an egomaniac i want it staying stuck. But more important i dont want to have to bother someone to get it restuck up.
m00m
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 12:50am
i think i gave this guide a read about 3 weeks into joining this forum. i've gone snowboarding for a day pass and a half day pass.  i obviously learned what camber and rocker meant (although intially i thought it was always called vrocker) through just kind of getting the feel of the lingo people were using. i also decided on purchasing a board before this guide was up (signal og).  however. damn. this guide opened my eyes a lot. i never would have thought getting a capita board would be able to teach me to carve as a beginner. i thought , "oh i'll get a horrorscope or stairmaster when i want a jibstick" but i guess the forgiveness of flex never really hit me. 
i've never heard of TBT. and i kind of wish i heard about bataleon before i made my purchase. they seem to have some sick ass boards. i want to try the evil twin personally one day. 
if you can rant for 4 posts on how to pick a snowboard, it sounds legit. trust me. lol
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 4:29am
sidecuts all done and finished. If there is anything wrong please please tell me. Obviously i havent ridden pretty much everything im talking about here, and frankly the product descriptions are vague and pretty useless in themselves (for instance the nitro degressive info was pretty much the same two line product description in every page and i couldnt even find a single description of the burton frostbite tech outside of the angry article on sidecuts (which i tried to gather as much info as possible from because it was one of the only places even mentioning these techs)). So i often had to rely on common sense and applying it to how i think it should act. But then i honestly couldnt be sure. Basically donny depth out of etc. :)   

oh and thanks myungsup, though im sure the OG is a pretty decent board mind! Hope its treating you well :)

ETA: tidied up the sidecut section. Felt it was a bit disorganised last night when i tried reading it after a bit of a break. Hopefully its a little more directed at its target :)
m00m
Gf_intelligence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gf_intelligence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2010 at 12:50am
Hey ippolite, thanks for the time and effort to put up such a dope post. I got quite a bit out of it and especially enjoyed ur views on board length. maybe this thread can be locked to try and keep it the way it is without people like me posting at the end of it?
Anyway great job and I appreciate what you've put up!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2010 at 12:59am
i <3 people posting in it. It makes me feel like its worth finishing.

Saying that though, it is almost finished (at least for the second pass). Just completed the Jargon watch section :) Also, because it was a continually under-appreciated vanity project, I added in links to EVERY SINGLE SNOWBOARD REVIEW found on this site dating back to January 2009.

Just got to add in some helpful sites like shay, angry, et al (which i honestly cant be assed hunting through right now) and I might also change the glossary to be alphabetic now that i have all the terms collated and it doesn't seem so BLAAARGGHHHH!!!!

But after that's done, its time to create that introduction. Not sure how im going to play it. i feel like ive made SO MANY summaries that if i do just one more it might feel like im over over repeating myself. So not 100% sure how to hit it.

Either way once that's done, its just a case of a third and hopefully final pass: going over it and fleshing out some of the details or cutting back on some of the yapping and it's likely done.

ETA: Alphebatised the secondary terms and combined all the key terms into one big section. Also added a few useful links. Obviously looking for more, but don't want to throw just any old link that mentions what a directional shaped deck does.
Either way, extra links notwithstanding, i guess thats the glossary section done. :)
m00m
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 12:53pm
Ippolite is killing it.  I wish this would have been around when I was first looking for a board.
MadSLOOPYyo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MadSLOOPYyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2010 at 3:29am
CryBEAUTIFUL POST...i really like the FLEX part...i was having such  ahard time looking for a board i can press...i recently was riding the BATALEON FUN.KINK and that is their softest board from their COMPANY...i guess if i wanted it to be SOFTER i should have gotten the next size down...i still love my board. its great when i hit bigger features....but i just recently bought the ARTIFACT ROCKER in a 150 from SIERRA OF COURSE....CANT WAIT TO RIDE IT....i pressed it on my carpet and it was great i was pleased...i was able to tail block it with no problem...so as far as flex wise i m please....JUST HOPE IT SATISFIES my other needs when i ride the whole mountain as my OWN PARK.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2010 at 4:03pm
thanks dude, im also appreciating your own particulr style in posting :) And thanks marumm, i hope it helps folks not make my daft mistakes as well :)
m00m
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2010 at 6:09am
bump, ah what happen to the sticky...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>