Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling on The Sierra International Community
    Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 3:25am
Make your voice heard.

We aren't a priority, and likely we account for very little in the scheme of things, but we are growing, and growing quickly. Obviously we have different priorities compared to our US counterparts, and the aim of this thread is for us to let the staff know what those priorities are.

Clearly right now thehouse and sierra are working hard trying to keep as many of the things we all love about the site, whilst also of course sticking to vendor agreements.

This means that 70% clear-outs are likely gone. It also means that brand restrictions will be in place AND enforced. This is a fact of the new situation and there's no real point lamenting it. If you scored a burton deck last year in Australia at 60% off, congrats, you got lucky :)

At present the staff are negotiating some of the changes the sierra community want to see to thehouse's current policies. So lets not get left behind. We have a different idea of what makes sierra great (be it the free shipping or the non-brand restricted in house product), so let the guys and girls know so they can make the case for trusnow retaining or expanding those policies when it all goes live.

And don't feel you need to stop there. Many of these changes happened because we suggested them. If you want to see something new that would get more people from all over the world in here, then make the case for it.

Lastly, i really hope you'll keep it positive. No matter what, snowboarding has gotten more expensive for all of us, we realise this, but that doesn't mean it has to go back to how it was a few years ago. We can find a middle ground.   

Hijacking my own post:

Price of a $500 MSRP Agent Rocker right now (all prices in US$ and confirmed by me):

Australia = $850 ($880Aus) - www.rhythm.net.au/categories/Snowboards/Rome-2011
Korea = $745 (850,000won) - http://www.ronin.co.kr/snow/item/17081/?via=28
Japan = $958 (79,800yen) - http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/sports-ex/11ro0101-155.html (though in truth this is weird because a LOT of places seem to be carrying at 10-30% 'discount' already making me thing the MSRP is not quite the MSRP - 30% off = $670)
UK = $665 (420quid) - http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Rome_AGENT_ROCKER_Reverse_Camber_Snowboard_155cm_2011-(24596).aspx
m00m
dr86 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 4:08am
I would love to see the free shipping to international customers who spend over $500 stay. If not, I'd still love to see the previous discounted fedex shipping prices where boards were shipped for about $47 to australia.

I'd also like to see other brands that werent previously seen on sierra to be stocked by trusnow. ie: bataleon, never summer etc.
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 4:23am
I've already said my share in the other thread so I'll leave it at that.

On another note, I wonder what % of sales come from international  members. While we only number 20000 or so compared to the 170000 americans, I'm sure the amount spent per order is a lot more for us. Most buy enough extra stuff to make it to $500 or even without that, spend enough to make the shipping worth it. 10% of the total, 20%...more?
jeremy86 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 4:43am
I highly doubt the non-brand restriction would be lifted, because I am sure they had some sorta agreements (like the ones that between sierra and burton). But I definitely like to have the great shipping fee continue, because frankly the shipping process at the-house sucks and they are ridiculously expensive.
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 5:07am
Originally posted by jeremy86

I highly doubt the non-brand restriction would be lifted, because I am sure they had some sorta agreements (like the ones that between sierra and burton).

What non-brand restriction are you talking about? Are you talking about the non-brand (as in Sierra-brand) products like the coming board bags and gloves? If so, there are no restrictions on those products as far as anyone knows.

Or are you talking about the Sierra collabs with rome/capita/sessions (bindings, board, outerwear respectively)? All 3 companies allow their products to be shipped overseas so again, not an issue.

Or are you just talking about brand restrictions? (Not sure where the "non" comes in) In that case, ipp says it flat out in the first post.

It also means that brand restrictions will be in place AND enforced. This is a fact of the new situation and there's no real point lamenting it.

No one is asking for the restrictions to be dropped. It's part of the contract, deal with it. This is a not an issue worth discussing.

The main issue seem to be the shipping rates and whether the sierra collabs will be shipped overseas...of which I"m 99% sure they will.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 5:18am
I've already said my share in the other thread so I'll leave it at that.

yeah, i understand, i just wanted this thread to be much more focussed on the issues we face as international customers rather than as sierra community members.

Also the threads are getting bogged down in a bit of cat fighting and bickering so wanted to set this one on a much more constructive footing. I'm really looking for a constructive thread that helps explain some of the things that are specifically a big deal to us and why.

I mean for example, i really think the sierra own brand stuff is a HUGE deal to international customers. It comes export and price restriction free. The second part is a big deal to everyone, but that first part is something that only affects us. Its EVEN MORE important to us now that we are back to the previous situation with a lot fewer alternatives out there for us (due to brand export restrictions). Throw in the international free shipping and you have something thats quite significant to sierra's international customers:

Naturally, a $299 deck is a big deal to everyone (the price i paid for my scope). But the alternative in the US is maybe a deck thats $50 to $200 more expensive. For us, its $200-$450 difference in our domestic markets.

Thats a BIG deal. Thats something that keeps us here and its definitely something they can build on.

Of course, even outside the sierra own brand stuff, i'll try and make a case for the free shipping :)

A $500 deck in the US costs 850,000won in korea ($760).

A $260 difference is awesome! I'm definitely buying here! But wait! We have 20% tax on import. So without shipping thats an extra $100 right off the bat, so really you're looking at 600 versus 760. A $160 difference is pretty decent, and still makes me more likely to buy here.

But consider, that 760 though comes with supporting my local community AND i have a very easy process of warrantying my deck if it breaks, so it's not quite so clear cut.

remember none of this is including any shipping. So start chucking in $100 shipping and you can see im actually (because of tax) paying an extra $120, turning a $260 difference into a $40 difference.

If you can't get that shipping down and well there's no real incentive for me to buy from the-house.

The point is just to show some of the economic considerations and why the free shipping and of course the own brand (non-price regulated) items are reasons we make orders in the first place. The closer you get to keeping prices at US retail, obviously the more you undercut our domestic markets and the more likely we take the chance to buy internationally :)   
m00m
Gf_intelligence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 5:19am
I agree with bugsbunnymydad in that I think that a comparative of purchases made between international and local customers would probably reveal that int. customers spend on average a hell of a lot more on each individual purchase so that even though total purchases would be less, they still hit hard in the sales figures. American customers usually can get free shipping on orders over $50-$70 dollars so it doesn't make much difference whether you purchase one item at a time (given how expensive gear is) or 10. To send something accross the globe however you need to at a least add a few items to the order to balance out the overall shipping cost. Given that locals can get free shipping per x ammount and adding up just how much those individual items cost retailers to ship in total, I hope that at least some kind of heavy discount or free shipping for large international purchases system is put in place, or even better that the free over $500 is retained
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Gf_intelligence

I agree with bugsbunnymydad in that I think that a comparative of purchases made between international and local customers would probably reveal that int. customers spend on average a hell of a lot more on each individual purchase 

I spend a TON at sierra. I've got a Union Bindings thread at a Japanese forum where people make requests and I (the cool English speaker guy) pool all the orders together and make a bulk order from Sierra to take advantage of the free shipping. They bank transfer the cost of the bindings + extra for shipping to them, customs, and a little something for my time.Smile Big win-win for everyone. They save at least $50 over buying here in Japan. I get to use my credit card to make big purchases and get points and miles. And I get to tack on little things I want from Sierra with free shipping.

Have made 4 orders(at around $1000 each) like this already. Putting in a 5th one this week before the sale goes through...no idea what's happening after sierra = trusnow.
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:34am
To me this thread doesn't make much sense. What it looks like to me is a thread for international customers to complain about how they want cheap prices and free shipping still. In my opinion it is a stupid thread for anyone to make but even worse to see an "expert" member make it. You are all pretty much asking them to keep in place some of the things that got Sierra in trouble in the first place. Way to represent the site as an "expert". 
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:55am
Removed my post to clear out the clutter in this thread. My original reply can still be seen in NickinChicago's quoted reply.
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 7:01am
Originally posted by bugsbunnymydad

Originally posted by NickinChicago

To me this thread doesn't make much sense. What it looks like to me is a thread for international customers to complain about how they want cheap prices and free shipping still. In my opinion it is a stupid thread for anyone to make but even worse to see an "expert" member make it. You are all pretty much asking them to keep in place some of the things that got Sierra in trouble in the first place. Way to represent the site as an "expert". 

The heck are you talking about? The free international shipping and discount shipping had NOTHING to do with Sierra's troubles. That was the brand restrictions which no one is asking to change.

Doug has already stated they are negotiating with fedex for continued discount shipping rates for its international members which break NO agreements. I guess Doug & the staff at the House are total whiners.

Seriously, all this thread does is show appreciation and support for that effort. Is this thread "necessary"? Maybe not, I would've just said thanks to Doug & co in the "Sierra & the House" thread (which I did).

Seems to me you came to bitch at something just because you needed to bitch. *yawn*

Edited to tone it down

And your posts just sound like you are pissed that you can't make money of Sierra anymore. Oh no your little side business based on Sierra pricing is gone. What will you ever do?
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 7:03am

And your posts just sound like you are pissed that you can't make money of Sierra anymore. Oh no your little side business based on Sierra pricing is gone. What will you ever do?

Way to attack me personally... *shrug* Maybe my post had a harsh tone but the only thing I was pissed at was a long time member like you attacking another member who is showing support to the staff for helping out its international members. Nothing really to say. So... about the "You are all pretty much asking them to keep in place some of the things that got Sierra in trouble in the first place."... what is it that we are asking for that's wrong?

Oh I don't know why I'm elaborating on my "business" but it's hardly that. I get paid an extra ~$200 or so per $1000 order and over half that is to pay the customs and the shipping to everyone. I make under a 100 dollars per order which seems fair as far as the time involved to do bank transfers and wrap and ship. *shrug* Mainly it's an ethical thing... I'm strongly against how they do markups in this country and I'm glad to help out any fellow Japanese boarder. I've talked to shop owners here and it's total BS how it's handled.

I've encouraged Sierra to start a Japanese site and offered Mike help in customer service with Japanese members when he offered to make me an expert member. Hardly stuff I would do if I was only in it for the money. And an extra 100-200 dollars a month...I can do way easier things than this for that.

Edit - Sorry to ippolite for turning your well-intentioned thread into an argument. My apologies. I'll stop replying here.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 7:18am
instead of getting all mid level--> high price range goods. perhaps you should look at some low priced range goods, maybe like K2 or 5150 for those that cant dish out as much $ as some people can.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 2:36pm

What on earth are you talking about?

I'll tell you what, you tell me even ONE way anything said by me would be a call for sierra to "keep in place all the things that got [them] in trouble in the first place" and i will concede the point. Otherwise honestly, get a grip. If you arent an international customer, then what the hell difference does it make to you that we retain things like free shipping (something you get at 1/10th of the purchase price by the way), or that we pay $250 more than you for the exact same deck? We face a different set of issues when we buy a snowboard, the purpose of this thread is to highlight those so that the people in charge can decide on where we sit as a priority.

Way to take an idea and give it the most negative spin you could think of.
m00m
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 3:31pm
I'm in Australia and for me I'm only worried about the shipping price. I can live with brand restrictions on Burton and others. I just purchase other products that don't have restrictions. Before the Burton fiasco I picked up a bonfire jacket and bonfire pants and they are honestly the best outwear I have owned. In the end if I purchase a full price product from Sierra and with the discounted shipping, it's still 40% cheaper than rrp in Australia.

So brand restrictions mean I just search for a comparable product that does the job, better for the smaller brands. I just hope they can strike another deal with discounted international shipping.
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 3:35pm
I also hope a deal for international shipping is done because the news in Australia is saying 1.0 dollar Australian will hit 1.20 us dollars sometime this year. Sierra can then expect a few big orders from me
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 3:42pm

From reading the OP, i didn't feel as if ippy made the comment that we should do anything to get Trusnow into any trouble, but i believe it was more of a plea to keep the free shipping part. 

You feel that it makes him look bad by being an expert, but i believe ippy's member status was based off of more where is from, region wise. As that was part of their search for global expert members. I won't make any comments on his professionalism, but i don't see an issue of stating how you feel, if you feel strongly for it. Nothing says that we can't have our own opinions and it really bothers me when people bash others for how they see/think or feel. Stop trying to impose your will onto others who don't give a rats arse. 

'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 4:12pm
free shipping never really affects me. Due to import duty kicking in at a really low level here ($100), the $500 limit to qualify for it makes it a bit bleh... i mean i understand that when all is said and done it saves me about $30 (the shipping cost for a snowboard is about $70, but the extra duty ends up about $30-40), so it feels like youre throwing good money after bad in truth. Spending $150 to save $30 seems a bit daft to me, but then, im scottish, and thrift is how we roll :)

Really, the shipping rates at sierra are great, but for me personally the big thing is drumming in how important the own brand stuff is to us. As keljai said, maybe we have to look at mid level stuff... well that's precisely what the own brand stuff is: a mid level solution that helps sierra/trusnow give us a really strong reason to tell our friends and get them to buy here.

The sheer number of people i now have riding a reverse crew is... well 4, but you get the picture :) But i also have a sierrascope so thats 5 internationals riding sierra own brand stuff on account of word of mouth recommendations. For the most part these people would be on whatever they'd find in hardoff (yes, that shop name exists, its a second hand hardware store in japan). Instead theyre riding brand new burton/capita made gear at a mid level price (well, compared to their domestic market, $450 (what i actually paid after shipping and tax) for an indoor FK is actually quite a high level price - but its still far cheaper than the 750,000won ($650) it would have cost me to buy one in korea).

Sure, it has lame resell value and doesnt have all the bells and whistles (as well as the core-ness) of riding a burton/capita, but they're fantastic decks and they're all going to be stoked this year because of it. And what's more, none of them are breaking international vendor agreements to get them. I think thats pretty swish, and the central motivation for me writing this thread is because i wanted to explicate quite how important the ownbrand stuff can be for trusnow in developing and expanding its international community.
m00m
tp1_kenobi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Top of the Volcano, New Zealand

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:05pm

I'm sorry dude, but If you don't live outside of the US, you don't have an idea.  I'm from the US and I've moved to NZ and purchased goods in NZ.  Try spending ~1000USD on a Lib Trice deck and ~400USD for a pair of Forces (price is adjusted to the price I had to pay for my salary and hours worked converted from NZD) then come here and make that same statement you just did.  Understandably, Lib has shipping restrictions, but when I bought my deck, SS didn't have any international shipping available.

In terms of my suggestions, I would recommend to keep the pricing of hardgoods as close to the current pricing scheme as possible.  What makes international buying valuable to the customer is that it is cheaper than the local shops and there is access to brands that are not available overseas.  Remember, we overseas have to cover exchange rates and shipping at those exchange rates (also "hidden" VAT/customs duties).  I believe the ability for SS (trusnow) to make profit is by selling on the number of goods per order by promoting free shipping over a certain amount.  As long as there's savings for the customer, SS will make a sale (and profit). 

Also, keeping the collabs alive is also an added incentive to ensure products are interesting and ensuring that in markets like NZ, you've got something different than everyone else.  Also, the collabs allow Sierra to ship those items to anywhere without restrictions.  Always cool to see Sierra branded goods down here.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:11pm
Addendum:

Actually one thing that might be interesting to find out is how much a $500 deck - the rome Agent rocker - costs in your own country and how buying it at sierra compares.

Assume of course no member discount because we honestly have no idea if those will be retained. So straight comparison at the start of the season, how does it all pan out for you?

In korea The Rome Agent Rocker is 850,000won. This is $745 (based on todays coinmill.com rates)

The house has a flat rate of 99.95 (basically $100) on shipping a snowboard to korea...

The current house shipping rates

The total including shipping:

500 + $100 (shipping), THEN 20% tax on the subtotal ($600x0.2=120)

600 + 120 = 720. This gives me about a $25 saving. Not exactly worth it in truth.

on the other hand:

with free shipping at 500:

500 + 100 (tax at 20%) = 600. Which is a saving of $145 for me.

=========================================================

So how about you? Whats your price? Just pick one of your big online etailers and compare like for like (no discount gear) straight up 100% retail for 100% retail. Let's see if it is as bad for us as some of us actually say it is :)
m00m
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:19pm
The rome agent rocker retails for $880 rrp at a snowboard shop in Sydney i have seen it at. AT todays rate that is $850 US.

No import tax on imports to Aus under $1000
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:26pm
From you guys are saying you are basically saving at least $100 even with the shipping prices of the house. Looks like you are still saving a good amount of money so what is the problem?
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 6:34pm
so... why is msrp so high overseas? are the retailers there paying the same price as retailers here?

tp1_kenobi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Top of the Volcano, New Zealand

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by gsrrr

so... why is msrp so high overseas? are the retailers there paying the same price as retailers here?

Not particularly sure if they are paying the same in regards to wholesale but the shops have to deal with currency rates.  Even when the currency fluctuates, the shops never adjusts the prices to reflect the changes in currency.  My assumption is that regardless of how well the country's currency does, there is a direct impact to their bottom line when the USD is doing poorly or if that country's currency is doing better.

Taking this into consideration, when the USD is doing poorly, we can buy more stuff from the US websites.  If we take our business to the shop, there are no benefits and they improve their bottom line.

Therefore, for the shops to make maximum profit, they need to take into account what is the maximum profit margin they can make if their currency is at its worst.

From you guys are saying you are basically saving at least $100 even with the shipping prices of the house. Looks like you are still saving a good amount of money so what is the problem?

Nick, take in account that what you're talking about is ONLY the board.  Tack on bindings, boots, or accessories and that $100 can easily become $300 (which can start covering your season pass).
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 8:37pm
I'm not saving much at all. More to the point, Im spending $220-$250 more than you are for the same deck, thats a pretty big problem if you ask me. :)

Still, lets not dwell on that, i honestly dont want you think im a jackass for starting a thread crying about my domestic retail price. Thats not the point at all. Instead, the most important thing to realise is that if we can get things cheaper buying US (significantly or otherwise), that will be an incentive for us to buy US. Its therefore a POSITIVE thread about what a US based E-tailer can do to keep me buying stuff here instead of in korea. The korean price is a fact of life. Theres no more point me crying about it than there is complaining about brand restrictions. If i want a snowboard in korea, i pay the domestic price.

The thing is, thats not my only alternative though.

Understand, Its not an attempt to try and pressure people to do anything illegally or break vendor agreements or cry about free stuff. Indeed, the first post said rather specifically to accept the reality of those vendor agreements (including of course brand restrictions and pricing models) so people should take their crying elsewhere.

Its an attempt really to just get retailers to use their own powers, structures and processes (and yes, to maybe take a bit of a hit in the process) for the prospect of an increase in their international market and reach (and thus of course eventual profit; a profit that should by all rights trickle down to people like fedex and the like).

If of ocurse none of this is borne out by the facts, then they wont bother. if on the other hand sierra has seen a big number of sales overseas recently with the whole burton fiasco as well as due to the new shipping arrangements then its something worth not only considering, but maybe even finding ways to improve upon.

Factor in as well the price point on a sierra own brand deck. Sure, the declared retail value is a bit ???? really??? ($500 on the sierrascope for example vis a vis the $399 on the indoor), but these boards often drop in price a lot quicker (simply due to a lack of restrictions) and give us all a fantastic option in mid season.

They are especially loved, as i say, outside the US because they are a low-midprice option comparable to our domestic markets, but give us really great tech that we'd otherwise be paying a small and not insignificant relative fortune for.

Please don't take that for whining. Sure, theres a certain resentment all international users feel when we look at US prices, and thats only natural. We also realise the reality of the current situation (including as well the reality of our own domestic market).

The aim then is to NOT argue for sierra style 70% off and free shipping prices. But to try and find a way to convince US e-tailers that it may be in their business interests to have a crack at the international market and particularly in regard tru-snow, for them to build upon the gains sierra initiated in bringing international customers here in the first place.

Since we pay inflated prices off the bat, its simply a case of finding a suitable price model in there that brings great returns but also has people from oceania, europe, asia, south america, and even africa plugging in their card details on their 2012 seti-scope (or whatever its called).
m00m
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by tp1_kenobi

Originally posted by gsrrr

Not particularly sure if they are paying the same in regards to wholesale but the shops have to deal with currency rates.  Even when the currency fluctuates, the shops never adjusts the prices to reflect the changes in currency.  My assumption is that regardless of how well the country's currency does, there is a direct impact to their bottom line when the USD is doing poorly or if that country's currency is doing better.

The manufacturers do change the price year by year depending on the exchange rate & other factors though. For example, MRSP prices on all burton boards in Japan went down ~10% this year compared to last year's. I'm positive this was in response to the Japanese yen gaining almost 20% value vs the USD in the last year. (But the custom flying V is still $350+ USD more than it is in the states so...Confused)

And from what I heard, yes retailers overseas pay a different price. Add import taxes & shipping and the shops have to charge a lot higher. But the dude I talked to was just a part timer at a shop so I'm not sure if he was just making the shop look good and blaming it on the big bad manufacturers.

Sorry, wasn't going to post anymore but I thought kenobi brought up a really interesting point about exchange rates.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:02pm
eh, why wouldnt you post any more? Youre one of the most vocal international members out there. This thread is literally all about you! :) Go find out how much youre paying for your agent rocker, and how much youre saving (if anything) with and without shipping.

I reckon yahoo auctions must have some nifty deals on it eh, but my kanji-fu is not so powerful.
m00m
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:22pm
I'm hardly THAT vocal... I'm not even that avid of a snowboarder. Smile I just like Sierra for its international vibe.

Originally posted by ippollite

I reckon yahoo auctions must have some nifty deals on it eh, but my kanji-fu is not so powerful.

Rakuten is going all English nowadays so you don't even need Japanese anymore heh... Wasn't posting as I'm pretty laid back and don't like getting heated over small things. But anyway, since you asked.

Rome Agent Rocker
MRSP : 79,800 yen = $950 USD in today's rates
30% off seems to be the cheapest at online store = ~$680 USD including shipping. Other stores selling at ~15-20% off.

There's a guy selling on yahoo auction though...seems to be a private importer. He's got dozens of rome boards @ 35% off = ~$620 USD
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:24pm
this winter (australia) i bought my whole setup from overseas.

I got Sierra Reverse Crew, Burton Cartels, K2 - T1s

I got it from Sierra and ridemteverest.

I went to my local snowshops in qld before doing this, obviously they didnt have the sierra reverse crew, but given that it was based off the burton custom v rocker or whatever i saved stacks.

Sierra RC: $270
Burton Cartels: $119
K2-T1's: $120

Total = $509USD + $100ish on shipping (didnt get over the $500 mark so no free shipping)

If i had of bought this stuff from my local joint in australia:

Burton Custom: $899
Burton Cartels: $450
K2 T1's: $500

Total: $1850 ... S:

brand restrictions on being able to ship outside us suck..

edit: i know i got this stuff at the end of the US season so it was on sale, but still.. its ridiculous!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:34pm
I wanted specifically msrp versus msrp though, because with member discount i can get the damn thing here for $565 ($400 plus $70 shipping plus $95 tax) if i bought it today (otherwise its $725 if i buy it in a fortnight; which now i think about it makes it seem like a STEAL right now! i should probably buy it :)).

Was looking myself at the msrp and couldn't believe it was 80,000. I did laugh. :)

Remember kids in the US, this is the retail price of the 10/11 agent rocker which you can buy for $500 at full retail (but cheaper not at full retail).

coimill value of 80,000 yen right now

That would be $958

Since 4 in japan and korea is associated with death, its a lol spam with added meaning :)
m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:37pm
personally id like to know exactly how much an australian/etc retailer pays for a board when all is said and done.

and thats the first time ive ever heard someone use "fort night" seriously.  awesome.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:41pm
hold up spenser, ill give you a couple of the bigger korean places to give you an idea of what we're paying.

Ronin snow deck prices

and heres a list of a stack of korean snowboard shops out there:

korean online snowboarding retailers list

oh! and finally found one carrying this years burton :)

burton in korea
m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:45pm
but thats from the shop to the customer, right?  what i want to know is what the shop paid for a board.  ie wholesale, but since its international its more complicated than that.

in the US, wholesale is 40% off hardgoods MSRP, ie a $500 board is $300 wholesale.  of course you factor in a little shipping and whatnot, but its not much more complicated than that.  so if an agent is selling for $800+ in australia, how much did that shop actually pay to get the board, all things considered?  to be the same markup it would have to be $480 that they paid.. 180 over US wholesale, which might not be totally crazy, but i really wouldnt know.
GC4220 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
zzzzzzing

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:47pm

CHEAPER POSTAGE TO AUSTRALIA

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 9:54pm
ah, i see what youre after. Guess i cant really help you. Would love to know myself if burton et al are just throwing in an extra $100 base on the price just because they can. Sounds crap in japan and australia though. Something definitely throwing that price way out of whack! i mean, that's almost double...
m00m
Gf_intelligence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 10:22pm
Rome Garage Rocker in States $300us ($310aud)
Same board in Australia $650aud

At over double the price for the exact same product i hope that people asking as to why this thread was started can start to get an idea why... we all just wanna shred and want gear to be accessable so that we can get up on the hill and be able to ride as much as anyone else. It's about being able to do what you love, not complaining that life is unfair and that x has it easier than y.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 10:31pm
Updating the OP because its pretty interesting. Have now four countries MSRP on the rome agent rocker ($500 US retail), and i'll naturally add them in as they come through. All links so far have been checked by me and are valid :) As are the prices (i used coinmill to confirm). Obviously its not the bit i wanted to dwell on, i wanted to dwell on the incentive part for the US etailer, but hell, its still fun reading and might make a fascinating study.

Hopefully as well we can get some info to answer gsrrr's and spenser's questions :)

I r have come up with a new plan. Ill just go to the rome site, see the shops they recommend in various countries and get back a price if i can find the deck on their site.

Australia = $850 ($880Aus)
www.rhythm.net.au/categories/Snowboards/Rome-2011
Canada = $630 ($645Can)
http://www.sourceboards.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_256&products_id=79996&zenid=9fcebd0520d046f1df37ed2e2bec777b
EU = $712 (Euro520)
http://www.greenroom.at/de/100444/100454/100579/rome_snowboard_shop.html
Korea = $745 (850,000won)
http://www.ronin.co.kr/snow/item/17081/?via=28
Japan = $958 (79,800yen)
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/sports-ex/11ro0101-155.html (though in truth this is weird because a LOT of places seem to be carrying at 10-30% 'discount' already making me thing the MSRP is not quite the MSRP - 30% off = $670)
UK = $665 (420quid)
http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Rome_AGENT_ROCKER_Reverse_Camber_Snowboard_155cm_2011-(24596).aspx
m00m
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 10:32pm
Yeah sorry i can only help with the rrp price from the snowboard shops in sydney. I dont know what they pay for wholesale.

In the same shop they are selling a 2009 Burton Custom x for $900 US (Coverted using xe currency converter).

This shop is also considered a place to get quite a good deal as well, on the cheaper side of prices.
catau View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 11:12pm
How about finding bataleon never summer and lib at sierra ?Not 70% but at least  50% discount  ?
Smile

winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 11:19pm
All in for a middle ground concept.

Don't need 70% sales, don't even need 50%, 30-40% normal end of season clearouts are perfect, but shipping needs to be a reasonable price for international customers.

The fact is Sierra made having your own snowboarding gear affordable and a possibility for many people in AUS/NZ and internationally as well. Sad if it just becomes like Dogfunk and The House which no self respecting international customer would buy from.
itzmatty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by winze

All in for a middle ground concept.

Don't need 70% sales, don't even need 50%, 30-40% normal end of season clearouts are perfect, but shipping needs to be a reasonable price for international customers.

The fact is Sierra made having your own snowboarding gear affordable and a possibility for many people in AUS/NZ and internationally as well. Sad if it just becomes like Dogfunk and The House which no self respecting international customer would buy from.

hahaha sounds to me like ur complaining about the great sierra discounts? Confused 
the larger the discount the better for everyone i say.
phildobya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:29am
I only discovered this site when I was searching for my beginner snowboarder gear - and without the great prices I probably wouldn't have been able to afford gear to get started in the first place.

Australian prices, for whatever reason, are hugely inflated. This site makes gear accessible to people like me.

Having bought off the site, I've found it's a very well run and easy to use website, and keep coming back just to see what's going on. I hope the new owners don't change all this...
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:30am
I buy golf gear and other stuff on the net and Sierras freight deal with Fedex is the best I've seen. I hope they can keep it because the House shipping rates are really expensive. You'd think if they added the volume of sales together they should be able to keep the rates. I wouldn't think the House's international sales would be that high.
dr86 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 4:04am
As long as they keep the fedex discounted rate, i'll be buying all my gear here, even more so if they have the $500 free shipping.

the member discount also 10%+ off also keeps me coming back.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 5:33am
I'll add my 2 cents on here from Canada.

I have spent about $4200 at Sierra over 12 separate orders since the end of March (approx 6 months).  Also note: this is not my "side business".  I order stuff on here for friends and friends of friends in order to make up $500 to get my own things.  I charge people what I pay without making a dime.  Sometimes I even lose a few bucks due to fluctuations in exchange rate.

Without free shipping, I will not be buying much from Sierra anymore.  Even with reduced shipping rates, I live close enough to the border that I can just make the trip down there and it would only cost me $30 in gas.  I'll just buy from a local shop there.  

In fact, I was thinking that Canadians should get free shipping at a lower threshold.  Probably something like $250 or $300 for free shipping.  From the posts above, it cost $47 to ship a board to Aus compared to $25 to ship to Canada.  However, we have the same $500 threshold.  
romangarcia View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 6:30am
One thing that i really want, is that you could buy with a foreinge credit card and be able to send it to someone in the states.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 6:36am
Edit: I see, you want then to KEEP that policy i assume :) Silly me :)
m00m
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 7:41am
Great thread to get some conversion started on the international topics.

First thing, we are doing everything in our power to keep our international community intact. No one is more or less important as we go through the transition this fall.

As stated in the Sierra Snowboard & The House Thread, the new owners are working to upgrade their internationally operations. 

Yes, some brand do restrict our ability to sell internationally and that has not changed. Their are always loop holes, such as freight forwarding, to get around these restrictions.

On the foreign dealers whole sale rate, all large vendors have specific MSRP and Wholesale rates for each country. The brands such as Burton and Rome have said that this is directly related to their cost of doing business in that specific country. 

The challenge that most Brands have in selling their products globally is that very few of them beyond Burton and K2 are global companies, and Burton barely fits in the category of being a global company. What these brands are is a singular nation based company that do business internationally.

What is happening is a company not based in the country they are doing business, they start with a base price at their country of origin and then build the MSRP values from there on projected demand and the cost of having a marketing presence in that county.

Whether you as an individual think that it is right or wrong does not address the fact that most Brands are still struggling to make a profit on their hard goods in these countries even with adjusted MSRP. 

We look forward to hearing more of the challenges you have as international customers and doing everything we can to help more people afford the sport of snowboarding. 

For me it is all about creating the opportunities for more people to become and remain snowboarders, no matter where in the world they may call home.

PindaBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 11:25am
Nice thread Clap

I guess from my perspective in the UK, Snowboarding is EXPENSIVE. The gear costs a whole lot and then we have to pay for a holiday to use it. I know this thread isn't about fixing the prices to international communities but I guess remembering that it isn't always so clear cut helps?

If it were only for buying the gear it may not be that bad to pay a bit more.. but for me I need to save as much as I can to go to a ski resort in order to board. I know, move somewhere else, I wish I could. Anyone want to give me a job near a mountain?

Seriously though, it's like most things, every little bit helps.

Live your dream, don't sleep through it
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 11:43am
Thanks for the explanation post doug, I guess end of the day a lot of these companies aren't willing to take an initial hit to establish a brand name or foothold in the market in those countries. I mean logic says if people can't afford your gear then how is your stuff ever going to get out on the mountains in those countries so people are exposed to the brands?

Plus in terms of "global brands" you would be very surprised with how much further along the international boarding communities (especially AUS and NZ) are in terms of brand knowledge and such. People know a lot more than just Burton and K2. Hell K2 wouldn't even be considered in the top 5 known brand names in AUS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>