Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on shredding steep slopes-
    Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:07pm
I have been having trouble carving down steep slopes and I know one solution would be to buy a board with magnetraction but what else can I do?  Whenever I try to carve down really steep slopes, if there's snow then I would just slide straight down from the snow falling down underneath me as I carve left and right, but if there's no snow and just ice then I lose any grip and just pretty much slide down and I can't stop.  I usually see boarders don't carve on steep slopes, they just go straight down.  Any tips?
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:13pm
define steep.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:17pm
Mmm like black diamonds.
harobikes333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:21pm
Black diamonds / Double Blacks    usually involve skis... lol.

I joke but when I go down blacks and double blacks   I just keep a conscious effort not to lean to much / start to loose too much grip or heel or toe drag.

Hardpack is pretty harsh sometimes...
Check it, Daily-Pages
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:24pm
Which black diamonds though?  Black diamond at Mt High is different than black diamond at Mammoth.

In all honesty, you should just practice.  Get comfortable carving down the blues and then slowly progress your way to steeper and steeper slopes.  The tech won't help you if the skills aren't there.

Jsnow577 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:24pm
youve just gotta get used to riding steep trails and learn to carve less and gain more speed
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Mmm like black diamonds.

As you said borders usually just try to bomb through the ice and then find some better snow to carve on. You can try sharpening your edges, might help a bit.  Other than that the best thing you can do is to hop from edge to edge.  Instead of smoothly carving from edge to edge torque yourself around with a small 90 degree ollie.  Keeps you from gaining to much speed and being unable to dig your edge in to slow you down.  It's hard on your legs but it's better than just heeling it down the whole run.
lakerlove12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Da BOSS

Id say just cut hard and dont lose your balance. Just gradually work your way up to steeper slopes. If your having a hard time on what your trying out now, just try something a lil easier and once you feel comfortable work your way back up. Remember, Practice makes Better
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

point it down! jus kidding, kind of...really steep, gotta get good at jump turns, and sharpen those edges. then pick the spots to lay in a turn(look for good snow). confidence, and commitment(weight forward).
snowbowlmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
big freakin slot canyon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:31pm
i agree with the jump turns. i see a lot of people that struggle on steep terrain stay in the snowplow formation which is very counter production. dont be afraid. just go for it. make sure youre leaning forward. if you have your weight over your front foot it makes it much easier to control your turns. you can swivel around your front foot with ease and you can also make jump turns much easier
harobikes333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:37pm
I second the ollie move.   It is indeed harsh on the legs but is a great workout and pretty much the only way you can go down a lot of double blacks.
Check it, Daily-Pages
Doc Dizzledaize View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 1:40pm
good advice from previous posts between #1 jump turns #2 keep weight toward front foot (really helps to initiate quick turns) #3 don't over-commit with your body weight on your turns #4 look for the soft stuff hidden among the scraped off/icy patches... oh and #5 don't let me see you riding your heel edge the whole way down scraping all the snow away! as horrible as it is to ride moguls, sometimes they are great to learn on those quick turns, use your forward lean to initiate those quick turns..
Poaching isn't simply a peaceful form of protest, it is truly your patriotic duty! - JB
MadSLOOPYyo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 4:47am
HEY BRO GLAD TO SEE YOU ASKING FOR HELP AND I BELEIVE SIERRA IS THE BEST PLACE TO HAVE THOSE DOUBTS AND UNCERTAINTIES CLEARED UP.

SO THE BEST WAY IS TO GET HEEL AND TOE FUNDAMENTALS DOWN PACK. I KNOW GOING FAST MAYBE BE SCARY AT FIRST BUT WHEN YOU GO DOWN A STEEP SLOPE YOU CAN CONTROL THE SPEED BY MAKING BIG S-TURN CARVES, GO HEELSIDE FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN AND THEN TRANSVERSE INTO TOESIDE AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND REPEAT IT UNTIL YOU GET DOWN. THE LARGER THE TURNS THE EASIER IT IS TO OVERCOME THE STEEP SLOPES. THE MORE YOU GET COMFORTABLE THE SHORTER THE TURNS HAVE TO BE AND YOU WILL BE ZOOMING DOWN IN  NO TIME.

FIRST THING IS FIRST. GET THE FUNDAMENTALS DOWN.

DONT GET INTO THE MENTALITLY THAT A BOARD WILL CHANGE UR PERFORMANCE, IT HELPS A LITTLE BUT IT ALWAYS COME DOWN TO THE RIDER. YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH DO ANYTHING WITH ANY BOARD. NO MATTER WHAT BOARD. YOU JUST HAVE TO GET USED TO THE BOARD. FUNDAMENTALS ARE THE ESSENTIALS FOR EVERYTHING.

HOPE I HELPED EVEN A LITTLE.
MadSLOOPYyo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 4:50am
ALSO ABOUT BOARDERS GOING STRAIGHT, THEY GO DOWN STRAIGHT BECAUSE THEY CAN PROLLY STOP AT WILL OR MOVE THEIR BOARD AS THEY PLEASE. JUST GET USE TO IT... BEST THING IS TO KEEP TRYING AND JUST FEEL FOR IT. DONT OVER THINK IT. ITS MORE ON FEEL THAN THOUGHT AND UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 12:40pm
Thanks for the tips everyone and I can carve down Mammoth blues steeps just fine along with Snow Summit blue and blacks and when it gets steeps I do the forward lean which I taught myself and apparently it's a correct technique to use since a few of you have mentioned it so at least I'm teaching myself correctly.  I'll try the hop and hopefully I don't continue to slide down.  Thanks!
This_is_my_username View Drop Down
Local
Local
timberline on a little jump we made

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 8:55pm
just go straight down :).
that reminds me when i went on ice and slid like all the way down, turn around to see the same thing happening to a buddy of mine
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 4:38pm
Yeah, but it would suck to fall though!  Ouch~
Backflipmasterdana View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 10:11am
Hi Angry Midget Yo,

Here's some advise for getting better control over your turns on steeps, I'll break it down into different sections so its easier to follow, feel free to ask for clarification on anything, I've been coaching this stuff for 11 years now, hopefully I can help:

step 1: Body position: When riding on steep terrain, your body position is mega important. you need to keep everything aligned, meaning, you need to try and keep your shoulders square with your hips and knees, and keep your hands over your the nose and tail of your board. Getting out of alignment will affect your turn initiation and make turns really hard on steeps. One common thing people do is always keep their shoulders facing down the hill (counter-rotation), this is a natural thing your body wants to do, however it makes toe-side turns really tough on steeps because you are rotating your shoulders in the opposite direction as your hips/knees/feet/board. Keep everything rotating in the same direction, this will make your turns faster and smoother. The third thing you need to think about is keeping your knees bent and relaxed at ALL TIMES. Bent knees are good for 3 things, a) you can absorb the bumps better b) your centre of gravity is lower, therefore you are more stable c) you can control the angle at which the board is laying on the snow much better. Without having your knees bent and keeping your body over your board, your centre of gravity will be off and it will be very hard to stay on your feet.

step 2: rotation: As other people have mentioned, having your weight slightly on the front foot will help initiate your turns quickly. This is good on steeps. If you are feeling more adventurous, you can try to move your feet independantly from eachother. This will help your feet and board change direction and edges even faster and will allow you to get to the speed-check phase of the turn faster. For example, on a heel-side turn, as you are rotating your knees/hips to turn, keep your shoulders in-line and look where you are going. Now at the foot/board level, once you reach the last 2/3s of your turn you can start pulling your front foot up the hill and pushing your back foot down the hill. Doing this will put you in a position to initiate your next turn faster. The theory behind this technique is you are unweighting your front foot while still keeping the pressure on the back foot. During the edge change, you are now going to apply the pressure to the front foot (to do the turn) and unweight the back foot (to allow the back of the board to follow quicker). This stuff is way easier to show than explain! haha, anyways, visualizing kind of helps

step 3: edging: Edging is super important on steep terrain. The main thing where people go wrong is on their edging. There are 2 ways to apply your edge to the snow. One way is inclining your body (leaning your whole body) towards the slope. The other way is angulating (using the angles of your foot and ankle) the board in proportion to the slope. Both ways aren't bad, you need a mix of both in order to get effective edge hold on steep and icey terrain. You need about 20% inclination and 80% angulation. You need more angulation because angulating keeps your body over the board, allowing your centre of gravity to stay in a good spot. Inclining is easier, but it throws your centre of gravity off, resulting in you slamming on your butt (your feet slide out from under you - aka SUPER COMMON) The major key factor in angulation is keeping your knees super bent and relaxed. if you straighten your legs, the angle of your board will be so high your board will just slide out from underneath you. The reason is because your boots are already at a forward lean angle, if you straighten your legs, you will be standing on your heels and your toes and board will be at an angle upwards. Couple this and a steep slope, you won't be able to keep any effective edge grip. So bend those knees, use your ankles to create the angle your board needs to slow down, and keep your body over your board.

step 4: Pressure: On steeps, you need to slow down after each turn. This is done by pushing down on your feet (which are angulating) and putting pressure on the edge. When your are initiating your turn, you need to ease up on the pressure to allow your board to pivot. You can do this 2 ways. The easiest way is just to stand taller (but STILL KEEPING YOUR KNEES BENT - JUST LESS BENT) do your rotation, then push down and bend your knees more to slow down. The second way is like I was explaining in step 2, you can use your legs independantly keeping pressure on one leg while releasing the pressure on the other to speed up your turns. Both of these techniques require your legs to always be bent, it will burn your quads and calves, but we are boarders and we're tough as nails, so suck it up.

step 5: timing: Put steps 1 through 4 together and get a rhythm going. this will keep the turns consitent, strong and awsome looking! Use your first 2-3 turns to get a rhythm, then turn on the auto-pilot and curse your legs for burning! Play around with turn size and see how they affect the speed and control you have. Short quick turns should keep your speed fairly consistent, long wide turns will make you go faster as your board is pointing down the hill, and you'll need to put on the brakes a lot as you finish your turns.

Anyways, hope this helps, again, let me know if theres anything in there you want explained better or more in-depth. Good luck dude,

Backflipmasterdana
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 10:22am
I wouldn't try the hop technique on ice...when you head up, let me know and I'll ride with you.  Unfortunately for me, I learned by doing, but I think once you're on the mtn, riding with and following somebody faster, I think, helps.

My experience...I was up at Mammoth either going down Cornice or Climax and it was in the morning.  My friends bombed down the mtn, but I was trying to carve down it at a controlled speed and i ended up sliding down it half way on my butt because it was icy.   In the afternoon, headed back up after the sun broke it down a bit and skiers created their moguls, carving down it was a lot easier and enjoyable.
Did you google it?
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 10:30am
dana give some very nice advice, but I have one more.  Instead of going down the ice look to the trees on the side of the run.  Ice + snowboard = shitty time.  So really just look for alternate ways down.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 12:00pm
Thanks Dana for the extensive explanation, it's really good!  Thanks Ride and Bud too, it makes sense.  Now to wait for the snow to apply it!  Tongue
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 12:29pm
I have trouble with steep slopes too..well maybe, I'm just a nervous wreck..but for steeps I try to carve..but I struggle after few turns..so I would just go heel all the way down lol..but! I printed out what dana suggested that way I can absorb it correctly..while reading it though, I was really picturing myself doing it..lol..quite entertaining!
 Post Reply Post Reply