Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 891011>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log, 2011 (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Mar/23/2011 at 11:53am
seriously...
DC was in the 70s last week.. this weekend we are supposed to get some flurries and the highs are gonna be about 38.... dang it.. we could have keep the resort open a week longer if this weekend's cold was timed better
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2011 at 6:44am
we got 3 more feet last night.  2 more feet predicted in the next 2 days.  Ugh...talk about extremes - we're already past 500" for the season and we always get a dump or two in april as well Shocked
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2011 at 8:05am
"uhg"??????
did you freakin say uhg?

lol no need to rub it in any more...
I realized that if my "friends" didnt flake on our Tahoe trip, I would have been there this week..... sad
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2011 at 12:36pm
all my hills are closed alreadyCry
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2011 at 7:09pm
haden borrowed my gopro, this is from march 21.  captainryanfarrell is in here a bit too.

i can't figure out how to save in 960 HD, it keeps the video's aspect ratio at 3:4 when i save in 720 but it's 16:9 full frame so i have black on each side.  bummed cause the quality is so much better.  the definition and colors... poop.  there's just no option in my editor that i can find.

not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2011 at 8:04pm
Landed my first Back 540 today.  So stoked.  I've been wanting to bag that trick for years. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:33am
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Landed my first Back 540 today.  So stoked.  I've been wanting to bag that trick for years. 

Awesome man...congratulations!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 7:10am
day 9 (march 26).  Forecast to be partly sunny with possible snow showers...WRONG!!!  Met with heavy snowing conditions at less than 3000 feet...and it kept snowing super heavy and cold all day.

It had also snowed all night before that, so there was already a foot and a half of fresh when I got to the resort.  By last chair, there was another foot+ on top of that.  Untracked tree runs, cliff drops...you know...same old shit.

Had a lens failure on my smith i/o.  Fogged up with "spots" in between the lenses.  Could be a defective lens...but I got a feeling porex is just too small to work in cold storm conditions.  Sending them in for warranty...we'll see (had to wear my old dorky looking, low-end, scratched smith cascades from 2005.  Felt like a kook...but zero fog)

forgot to get batteries for my camera, so I just borrowed a couple pics from the resort website:

kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 7:23am
like the vid!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 7:57am
whoa...

i went to the freakin cherry blossoms in DC over the weekend.. packed...
but we did get an inch of snow on Sunday morning... lol gone before 10am
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Piranha

Holy crap. Winter wonderland.
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Piranha

This is what I call PowDay)))
Push hard and you'll reach the top
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 7:46am
day 10 (sunday, april 27).  Bluebird with 3 feet deep of fresh powder - very good conditions. 

As you can guess, the resort got very crowded (most I've seen this season), so no warm ups...I headed right for the depths that I was sure would be ripped in a short time.  Tons of perfect fresh lines were had.  Even with that much snow, morning was shockingly fast - found myself having to speed check much more than usual. 

As forecast, temps after lunch got just over 40 deg  - pow got a bit heavy and groomers got sticky (and didn't cool back down before the lifts closed)

Other than perfect pow runs, highlights of the day were:
   *  biggest, successful cliff drops of the season
   *  perfect BS3 right under the lift audience
   * what felt like the highest backside air/re-entry I've ever pulled on a side-hit/transition
   * perfect frontside alley-oop 360 on a similar trannie/qp
   * tons of big FS1's (my "new" trick)
...all on a 163 cm powder specific shape

After the cliff drops, had to keep reminding myself that I'm really not advanced at all...it's just everything is so filled in, the consequences were relatively minimal

no batteries/no pics...and the resort didn't even take any...on one of the better days of the year

IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 7:34am
It appears everyone stopped riding? Video of me and my friend goofing around.

http://vimeo.com/22188397
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 7:55pm
mark, sick sequence, wish i had a bigger file.  cornice to pow slash to back 3.

bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 8:13pm
uhnnnnnnnnnnn!

That is a sick line! Pretty much sums up my love for snowboarding 
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 4:15am
Originally posted by IceCoast

Nice vid, try using the Deshaker tool for VirtualDub to get rid of some of that nasty digital camera shake, it works quite well.  It's a bit complicated, but you can watch a tutorial on Youtube and just follow all of the steps.
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 4:45am
Bert was pretty good last weekend.  After having tons of fail with my helmet cam I am starting to figure it out. 

rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 4:51am
nice vid killclimbz. poor dog didn't even know if he should run down after you guys or not.
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 4:56am
Thanks!  The one barking is my dog Cody.  The other guy you see is my friend's dog Bhodi.  He's still young and a bit of a spaz.  He hasn't quite figured it all out yet, but we're working on him.  He's also very, very fast.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 5:34am
GoPro Edit from last weekend.

winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 5:46am
what are you guys booing at ewrx? nice thick layer of snow there. how come you didnt bust out the snowboard you won. haha
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 8:17am
mmmmmmm nice vid!

Winn: I think that was just the beginning of the song 
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 8:49am
LOL, Yeah that is just the song.  
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 10:16am
god damn, mark is killing it, i'm so stoked right now!  he just put up a mid season edit that has the video of that sequence in it, soooo smooth!  more new footage, some you guys already saw from the contour contest edit, but damn he is killing it in this new video.  he continues to blow me away.

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:19am
Damn spenser.  That is a fine shtooking video.  Your friend is most definitely killing.  The chute at the end, is that in Washington or more like Alaska?  Where ever it is, that is just sick.

I am almost embarrassed following that with my VP vid, but it was a fun day with great conditions.  So you'll get it anyway.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:24am
i think the chute on the face (if that's what you're talking about) with the vertical exposure lines is montana, but most of that video is brighton and the surrounding area, with a couple shots up here like the tree ride backflip
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:41am
Yeah, it was that chute.  Really, really good stuff man.  Keep bringing it. 
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 12:48pm
  Spenser, That is a GREAT video.. dang... really good..
incredible riding conditions and terrain and incredible rider..
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 1:19pm
2:55 is at Brighton isn't it?  I've been eying that thing.  It's a big bitch.   I'd love to do a switch back one off it some day.  I think JP half cab'ed it like 12 years ago or something.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 2:00pm
probably, most of that video is brighton

glad you guys like it.  i'm way stoked that mark is getting so much footage and photos this year.  i worked with some of my reps last fall and helped him get out there on the path to... whatever he wants, i guess.  he's in with rome, union, 32, and vonzipper now.  the first three are brands he's been repping for years anyway so that's rad.
k-brew View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 2:18pm
That is an awsome cam shot! the powdur looks so fresh too. I went to telluride for a week and didnt see nearly as much powder as where you guys are. looks like i'm due for a sick roadtrip next year!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2011 at 9:05am
me too brother.. me too..

I need to go on a sick roadtrip next season... MUST
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2011 at 6:25pm
Hey spenser is that Mark Raineri?
not-ewrx that was some nice pow in that last video you posted. This last week was amazing at snowbird.
EDIT
nevermind I could have just read the video title.
Mark Rainery is pretty much a legend at brighton. It's pretty cool that you know him.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2011 at 9:02pm
uhhh what? he's a legend there?

yeah, he's from juneau, i've known him for years.  he moved to SLC last year or something.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 8:08am
Nice vid Spenser! 

Rode slush all this weekend.  My board caught a couple of times while going off jumps in the slush.  One time my nose caught when I landed and I went flipping forward.  Another time I was bringing my board around for a 1 and it caught and I went super man forward onto the landing.

Fun times...sad that the season is going to end soon.  My resort is open for one more week and then a mammoth trip the following weekend.

My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 8:37am
damn Spenser, can't believe I JUST saw this video.  That guy is absolutely throwing DOWN.  
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 8:38am
Originally posted by spenser

uhhh what? he's a legend there?

yeah, he's from juneau, i've known him for years. he moved to SLC last year or something.

Ok legend wasn't the right word. He is definitely respected at brighton tho. Brightons website has a bunch of pictures of him and some videos on their website. One thing that you wouldn't be able to tell from the videos you have posted of him is that he is a pretty sick park rider also.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2011 at 11:17am
for sure.  those videos don't have park in them but some of his older ones do and he kills it.  he's real good on rails too.. pretty much a great all around rider.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 7:14am

Still shot from last day at our whiskey box @ my local mtn.... teacup costume is the result of starting to drink at 9 am and riding in a party bus up to the mtn.... upside was that it acted as a giant pillow when the booze made me fall over....  Props to krazy on my ladies killer one piece... Good times had by all
MOAR powderz plz!
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 7:24am
Originally posted by MTpow

Still shot from last day at our whiskey box @ my local mtn.... teacup costume is the result of starting to drink at 9 am and riding in a party bus up to the mtn.... upside was that it acted as a giant pillow when the booze made me fall over....  Props to krazy on my ladies killer one piece... Good times had by all

That's straight secksy MTPOW...especially the escapades matching the wifey's one-pc.

"...tip me over and pour me out!" 
Did you google it?
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 7:33am
i definitely tipped over multiple times but i dont remember ever spilling my beer which was pretty killer.. that's just talent right there HA!
MOAR powderz plz!
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 7:40am

i definitely tipped over multiple times but i dont remember ever spilling my beer which was pretty killer.. that's just talent right there HA!

Who's the chick?
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 8:28am
Mother nature is making fun of me. It snowed yesterday and the snow was too sticky to back yard board, no speed
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:29am
MTpow, is there a story behind the teapot costume?  I'm trying to figure out what happened on the party bus...I figured you lost a bet?
Did you google it?
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:35am
Originally posted by rzero

Who's the chick?

His lady. 
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:56am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

Originally posted by IceCoast

Nice vid, try using the Deshaker tool for VirtualDub to get rid of some of that nasty digital camera shake, it works quite well.  It's a bit complicated, but you can watch a tutorial on Youtube and just follow all of the steps.
Just saw this, thanks for the tip
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by RideTimeless

MTpow, is there a story behind the teapot costume?  I'm trying to figure out what happened on the party bus...I figured you lost a bet?

naw no bet...tried on a couple onesie suits and they didn't fit and the party bus was getting ready to roll from my house... i didn't want to be lame and not dress up so the teapot was my only option...  bus left my house at 11... i started drinking at 9... so i had a solid 3 hours of drinking in by the time we got to the mtn at noon...rode and continued to booze til 4 when i realized i probably shouldn't be riding anymore... so i headed down to the bar and partied until it was time for the bus to depart... i captain'd the shit outta closing day in my teapot suit...beat that. Clap
MOAR powderz plz!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 12:40pm

MT, is that a teapot spout or are you just happy to be on the slopes?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 1:02pm
I can only imagine the conversation as you are walking into the men's room...

Gaper:  hey man, what the hell are you s'posed to be?

MT:  I'm a little teapot,
short and stout,
this is my handle
and here is my spout...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>