Appeals to Spam-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <123

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pipecode View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pipecode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Appeals to Spam-
    Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by athousandmonkeys

I still vote down every bad review I see. Perhaps a better system would be for reviewers to receive points ONLY if their reviews are at least one point in the positive? It could be one point per positive, up to a maximum of 5?

This could be a good way to go in an ideal situation.  Hopefully less people will write crap reviews since there is no immediate points, leading to it being easier to weed out the remaining crap reviews.  On the flip side though, there could still be a bunch of "Holy hell, wtf were they thinking writing this" type  reviews left out there, but hopefully not as many.  It almost seems, and I hate to say it, that they need a full time person to review the reviews before they go live. I don't know, there has to be a happy medium there somewhere.
I'm here for the points and if you're reading this, it means I just got one more!
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by pipecode

Originally posted by athousandmonkeys

I still vote down every bad review I see. Perhaps a better system would be for reviewers to receive points ONLY if their reviews are at least one point in the positive? It could be one point per positive, up to a maximum of 5?

This could be a good way to go in an ideal situation.  Hopefully less people will write crap reviews since there is no immediate points, leading to it being easier to weed out the remaining crap reviews.  On the flip side though, there could still be a bunch of "Holy hell, wtf were they thinking writing this" type  reviews left out there, but hopefully not as many.  It almost seems, and I hate to say it, that they need a full time person to review the reviews before they go live. I don't know, there has to be a happy medium there somewhere.

I agree.  Right now the points are too easily given before it's earned.  With the sheer volume of reviews going through it's difficult to weed out all these junk reviews.  Also it's hard to flag them to get removed so all these crap reviews stay.  Before I would actually take the time to flag them, but since I have no mod powers I'll have to rely on 4 other members to flag it for the review to be removed.  Makes it more difficult. 

It became easier to just see if the person had tons of crap reviews, then you can post it on the review spam thread and hope one of the staff/experts would flag it or even the members. 

The review system does need to be overhauled.  Why is the helpful option different than the flagging option?  If the review isn't helpful doesn't it mean it's spam?  I like the idea of rewarding the points according to how many ppl find your review helpful.  Also if they can link it so that if a certain amount of ppl find it unhelpful the review gets removed.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 9:07pm
Flagging things of this nature implies that folks ARE a little drunk on a power trip and very FASCSIST against folks trying to actively participate in what (I believe) is intended to be an open, diverse community. Whether they are just going for points or not (or any other personal motivations, for that matter) really seems like it should be of no concern to you. That is why the daily cap was put there in the first place...not so you could nit-pick at the minor comments made by folks that go through the trouble to go to the site everyday, view advertisements, and perhaps participate in other threads in what a handful of elitists may dub a more relavant manner.

If, for some strange reason, a ton of folks complained about someone making too many comments about snow at a particular resort on a thread topic about bindings, I seriously doubt reviewers are suddenly going to start flagging those.

Its nice to pretend that "active participation" shouldnt be an issue nor a consideration made by expert members or staff. But the actual reality is that this is simply not true. Active participation is ENTIRELY what the points system is about. You are rewarded with a point every time you actively contribute to the forums. These WILL be judgement calls. But because the threshold is so incredibly high (30 flags), the judgement factor will not only be balanced out around the 5 flag mark, but by around the 20 flag mark it will shift heavily towards the conclusion that you are OBJECTIVELY and CONTINUALLY failing to contribute to the community actively.

Ask yourself this: If active participation wasn't a problem why would they (not us by the way, but the people running this ship), provide us the ability to spam flag posts whilst simultaneously giving you a 30 point limit.

It is because active participation is pretty much the nub of the points for posts system. There is no way around this.

If they believed the daily cap was enough in itself we would not be given the power to flag posts. NOR would you receive a thirty point buffer. I'm not saying this to be a dick, but to explain that we do have the power to flag posts and its not to give us some arbitrary moderation ability so we can get in touch with out inner fascist. :) Go back to the threads when nighthawk gave us guys the spam flag power and it will answer your question on active participation almost entirely.

None of us want to be fascist, we just want you to remember that the system exists to reward you for ACTIVE participation, not just for participation. It is a consideration, and is in fact the sole consideration when someone flags yoru posts. We have nothing against you, nor are we trying to flex our epeen or show you how awesome and bossy we are, we just have to look after the system so that everyone benefits form it at the end of the day and it doesnt in fact get pulled.      
m00m
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Quote NickinChicago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 9:24pm
Don't take this the wrong way ippo but sometimes I wish your posts would get flagged so I didn't have to scroll for an hour to read the rest of the thread.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 9:25pm
Holy...wall of text, but don't worry I skimmed/read most of it.  Ipp how long does it take you to write all of this out?

Anyway I don't understand why people are so upset about the whole spam flagging of posts.  Unless if you're a consistent dick your post will not be flagged.  I would think it's very hard to reach the 30 post threshold since

1.  how many posts do you think there are that are posted on this site during the day?
2.  do you honestly think the expert members are sitting there watching every single thread? 

Think about it, there are only a handful of experts and the majority of them don't even post on the forums anymore or even check it out because they are fed up with all of the junk that's being generated.  Staff I don't know about, but I don't see many staff around.  So they are understaffed (staff and experts included) trying to keep the forums clutter free. 

Contribute something worthwhile and you should have no issue, there are not out to get you as some of you seem to believe.  They are people too...the experts don't even get paid and they're just at the site because they like hanging out here.  They have real jobs they have to attend to.

So wow...look what you made me do ipp I'm writing a wall of text

EVERYONE JUST CALM THE F DOWN ABOUT THE POST FLAGGING Big smile (smiley put so ppl don't think I'm actually yelling at you) 

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 9:35pm
Don't take this the wrong way ippo but sometimes I wish your posts would get flagged so I didn't have to scroll for an hour to read the rest of the thread.

I like ambivalence :) Still, say the word, and ill use my mod edit powers. :)
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 9:41pm
Holy...wall of text, but don't worry I skimmed/read most of it. Ipp how long does it take you to write all of this out?

Anyway I don't understand why people are so upset about the whole spam flagging of posts. Unless if you're a consistent dick your post will not be flagged. I would think it's very hard to reach the 30 post threshold since

1. how many posts do you think there are that are posted on this site during the day?
2. do you honestly think the expert members are sitting there watching every single thread?

Think about it, there are only a handful of experts and the majority of them don't even post on the forums anymore or even check it out because they are fed up with all of the junk that's being generated. Staff I don't know about, but I don't see many staff around. So they are understaffed (staff and experts included) trying to keep the forums clutter free.

Contribute something worthwhile and you should have no issue, there are not out to get you as some of you seem to believe. They are people too...the experts don't even get paid and they're just at the site because they like hanging out here. They have real jobs they have to attend to.

EVERYONE JUST CALM THE F DOWN ABOUT THE POST FLAGGING (smiley put so ppl don't think I'm actually yelling at you)

Haha, you youngins dont even know what a wall of text really is... Well, actually since i post on the site you probably do :) I know people get narked by the length of my posts, but truth is theyre often full to the brim of brilliant insight, and to cut them down would be like taking half the colors out of the rainbow!

Only kidding, i have no social awareness with messageboards, but dont worry, ive been posting epics this long for about 8 or 9 years and havent learned yet so its unlikely i could change it even if i felt i should. i dont alas :)
m00m
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by ippollite

Holy...wall of text, but don't worry I skimmed/read most of it. Ipp how long does it take you to write all of this out?

Anyway I don't understand why people are so upset about the whole spam flagging of posts. Unless if you're a consistent dick your post will not be flagged. I would think it's very hard to reach the 30 post threshold since

1. how many posts do you think there are that are posted on this site during the day?
2. do you honestly think the expert members are sitting there watching every single thread?

Think about it, there are only a handful of experts and the majority of them don't even post on the forums anymore or even check it out because they are fed up with all of the junk that's being generated. Staff I don't know about, but I don't see many staff around. So they are understaffed (staff and experts included) trying to keep the forums clutter free.

Contribute something worthwhile and you should have no issue, there are not out to get you as some of you seem to believe. They are people too...the experts don't even get paid and they're just at the site because they like hanging out here. They have real jobs they have to attend to.

EVERYONE JUST CALM THE F DOWN ABOUT THE POST FLAGGING (smiley put so ppl don't think I'm actually yelling at you)

Haha, you youngins dont even know what a wall of text really is... Well, actually since i post on the site you probably do :) I know people get narked by the length of my posts, but truth is theyre often full to the brim of brilliant insight, and to cut them down would be like taking half the colors out of the rainbow!

Only kidding, i have no social awareness with messageboards, but dont worry, ive been posting epics this long for about 8 or 9 years and havent learned yet so its unlikely i could change it even if i felt i should. i dont alas :)

Here ipp I've wrote a cliffnotes version of what you typed:

I always write a lot, but I believe what I write is relevant.  I don't think I can change.

Done Big smile
snowbowlmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
big freakin slot canyon

Quote snowbowlmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2010 at 4:56pm
you should get hired to be ipp's editor hana. great work... really, just astounding
nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 6:37pm
Ostensibly I have been spamming reviews and there's no expert members online to deal with this?

Do I need to post pictures that I actually own these items? Sure there's probably grammar errors and such, but do I really need to write a dissertation for reviews?

I'm currently 7/10 for spamming reviews.

Expert Members Please PM me.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 6:56pm
my personal favorite was "This is not a review, just an headsup"
nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Sintexo

Seriously, and where would I post this?

I don't know about you, but a lot of people were excited that the Custom V Rocker was coming in Twin. There was a rumor that it was only it was only 2013 Release. I just giving a heads up that it is continuing next year. I'm just being helpful and saving people $530 bro.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 7:21pm
oooh, this is a long forgotten gem. Fair necro though so i wont flag you ;) 

Rightyo, first up, you need to go read the writing quality reviews thread. 

And now comes the massive pain in the ass. This is going to take some time. Im hoping i can find varius posts where ive explained reviews so i dont have to write it all out again, but as we all know search here sucks. Heres thsummary in case i get fed up trying to find them.

1. Talk about the product. Sounds easy. Youd be surprised.
2. If you havent used it, dont write a review on it.
3. Follow up: If you havent used it in the terrain its supposed to be used then please, just dont. Its annoying. Head to my account! You see those spam flags i have on reviews? I flagged them? You know why? Reason 3. If im flagging my own reviews for breaking this rule, im flagging yours too.
4. Never ever post a thread on an item that you clearly havent used. If youre listing yourself as a guy, about 180lbs, and your review history consists of boards in the 161 range, i dont really want to know your opinion on a 147 space metal fantasy. I dont want to know "your girlfriend"s opinion either through the prism of your account. If she rides it, she can tell me all about it herself by starting an account. This keeps things nice and simple since i dont have to then look for bullshit giveaways that show youre just talking out your ass.
5. Tell me something... ANYTHING... that shows youve actually used the item. Repeating key phrases from the public blurb does nothing, saying "i rode this" does nothing. These are not what a review is about. You using something is a prerequisite for you to even starting your review. See number 2 for confirmation on this point.
6. If you cant figure out what to say about a product, dont review it. Youll just lose a flag and it rings you one step closer to locking you out for good.
7. Unless you are an absolute MASTER of the written word, a one sentence review on a snowboard isnt going to cut it. Sure, some people can condense a thousand thoughts into a single sentence, but that sentence better be the stuff of pure Beckett (which means massive run ons as well as a liberal use of the semi colon over the full stop). Chances are though, you aint one of them. I am. But I am somewhat annoying. So short and sweet for the purposes of illustration. Thus, leading by example. Stop!   
8. Get some days on your product before you review it. Most people dont elly review product for a living so dont really know what they want to say about it. The incentive of FIVE WHOLE POINTS will drive them to review it nonetheless. Theyll screw it up, fill it full of random details that no one looking to purchase the product cares about, and bish bosh! Review done! Theyre often amazed at the flag. Use the product a few times though and i PROMISE YOU, you wont struggle for things to talk about. 
9. You dont need to write an ode to your snowboard boots. Short is fine, but you better err on the side of caution with short reviews and make damn well sure it says 3 or 4 things about the product that i dont know just from looking at the picture/product blurb.

And number 10. Arbitrary stopping point, but this is the absolute main point.

10. The review is not about YOU. Its not FOR YOU. Its for TruSnow to help potential customers by providing a direct, hands on description of the product. The product blurb can only tell you so much about a product. People need more information than "this is the greatest board ever!!!" from the manufacturer. Thats where you come in. Your "job" is to take that product blurb, take all those preconceptions you had about the board or whatever, spend some time using it, then RE-EVALUATE those perceptions and in some way tone it down or hell, even build it up more. The point is for you to help someone who hasnt used the board get an idea of your experience of the board in order to give them a vague idea of how theyll find the board based on their preconceptions and needs. 

Making a great review is really damn easy so long as you stick to the product, dont talk about ancillary crap that has nothing to do with it, USE it for a decent amount of time exactly where its supposed to be used (on the mountain - telling me about the fit of your gloves at home tells me something, but honestly, if im buying gloves i need to know how they perform in slushy, wet, cold snowy conditions, not just how they fit your massive hands). Finally, a good review is about HELPING someone who has no experience of the product fill in some of the details and get some kind of idea on where it lives up to the hype as well as where it doesnt. Aim your review at mystery shopper X and youll find the review writes itself. 

ETA: A couple more just to round it out a bit: 

m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by nuggetuconn

I don't know about you, but a lot of people were excited that the Custom V Rocker was coming in Twin. There was a rumor that it was only it was only 2013 Release. I just giving a heads up that it is continuing next year. I'm just being helpful and saving people $530 bro.

If it's not a review, don't post it in the review section.  OR you could have commented on an existing review.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by fj5

Originally posted by nuggetuconn

If it's not a review, don't post it in the review section.  OR you could have commented on an existing review.
You don't get points for that thou LOL
And ippy. I bet he's not gonna go and read through your post for future reviews he just wants his current ones fixed. 
If only Queensland had snow...
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:04pm
cant do anything about that im afraid. I can only help him not get more flags. 

However on that point, you could grab a member of STAFF on chat and ask them. Theyre the only ones that can change spam flags. 

I should also note that ive flagged no ones posts here or in the other thread. :) I dont really flag much in the forums. Im more an (over)explainer. 

m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:12pm
Haha over explainer. 
Won't complain on them thou, keep them Japan mountain reviews coming btw. Wink Love them.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:15pm
Thanks dude, the madarao one was a bit um... over long, maybe? I usually have a few people telling me thanks over at snowjapan, but i only posted it last night, and the persistent ones are probably still reading it. :( 
m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:28pm
Yet to check that one out. 
Looking to go to nagano/hakuba next year. Only hit up goryu/47 last time i went (2years ago now Cry) but i want to check out more. Not sure if i should spend the extra to go Niseko yet. (Speak japanese so i don't have to stay near western places, thank ma parents!)

Off topic of this thread but haha, Thanks heaps for the reviews so far. Really like them and appreciate it.  
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 11:41pm
Broaden out a bit. Youve seen hakuba :) Its time you ventured further afield. Maybe nozawa, shiga kogen and myoko next if youre in the nagano area. Ive been sat at nozawa pretty much all season (season pass) and its still pretty awesome to ride there (thouhg i am getting a wee bit fatigued being there every weekend pretty much - thatll disappear though when we go over the peak and the panic sets in that the seasons about to end!)
m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:21am
Yer sounds good. I'll look into it more. I'd be happy anywhere to be snow honest but I'm heading with a friend 3weeks, 2 for a cultural trip Tokyo down and then snowboarding for a solid week. Somewhere not hakuba might be good for new sights as well. Get to actually venture nagano. I'll hit you up for advise closer to plans!!! Big smile
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:22am
koji- thank you for thanking Ipps Clap

Ipps- lets keep this thread on track Wink
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:23am
Screw you copper! 
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123