NHL 2011/2012 Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 525354

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2011/2012 Season
    Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 10:54am
at least there is college hockey
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 11:08am
Do you guys think ovechkin will make good on his word and not return to the nhl if the prospective deal is bad for the players' salaries??
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by timpiper

Do you guys think ovechkin will make good on his word and not return to the nhl if the prospective deal is bad for the players' salaries??

I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Ove is a Russian playing in a Russian league, so I'm pretty sure he'd be satisfied if he stayed there. The only reason that would have me believe he would return, is for a chance to win that CUP!
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 5:16pm
Looks like the islanders are moving to Brooklyn in 2015. Just announced it today.
DerekF View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DerekF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 6:01pm
What do you think about NHL in Seattle?
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 11:40pm
^there's always a chance especially if teams like Phoenix or Florida can get a team-why not? Tho I'm not too sure how big Seattle is into hockey.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by bhswrestler150

Looks like the islanders are moving to Brooklyn in 2015. Just announced it today.

I think that's a smart move.  

No NHL action is killllllin me. I don't even care if there isn't an 82 game season. I'd be satisfied with a smaller season if it still actually happened. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 12:24am
^dont hold your breath. With the way "talks" have been going (or lack there of) we aren't gonna see any hockey this season. Its not a good sign when both sides can't even agree to meet.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by DerekF

What do you think about NHL in Seattle?

That could be real awesome - can you imagine the rivalry between a seattle based team and the Canucks in Vancouver! Doubt it would happen, but you never know. 

Going to have a rant now:

I've just had enough of that clown Bettman, attempting to throw his philosophies of spreading the game to parts of America which will NEVER have the cult following. Phoenix are struggling as are the hurricane, nashville and columbus. These teams are haemorrhaging money which is part of the reason we're in this shtooking lockout.. Cut these weak teams and put a few more Canadian teams in the mix I can guarantee revenue would increase by even more than it has been.

The NHLPA are not doing themselves any good by not even attempting to shape their offer to what the NHL have put on the table.. I was so against the NHL and bettman at the start but at least they're attempting to move their deal towards (albeit slowly and it seems reluctantly) a deal which is closer to what the PA wants only for the PA to table 3 cr@p offers. A new CBA is never going to get agreed to.

It's absolute $hit that the fans are being treated like this and all the people whose income is derived from game days. Neither of the parties gives a dime about the fan's, just about getting the most green in their pockets. 

You gotta hate what sport has become nowadays, it's not so much about the passion anymore as it is about lining their own pockets.

No chance we're getting a full season. Or even one from the Winter classic if things don't change drastically very very soon. 

Start of last week, I was actually contemplating the season starting in November but as things keep going I honestly don't know if we'll even see a puck drop this season..
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 3:26am
Ovy can stay there if he wants, his game has really disappointed in the past 3 or 4 years.  

I also hate how the NHL tries to shoehorn franchises into places that couldn't care less when you have insane hockey markets that are dying for one (Hamilton, Markam, Quebec city).  

Brooklyn seems to be a hotspot right now for sports, it'll be interesting to see if the Isles pick up more fans by moving or if they are going to alienate their current fans.  35 minutes to a game doesn't seem too bad to me, my closest team is the Leafs @ about 5 hours to downtown Toronto (and highest ticket prices in the league).
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 1:11am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gh_Wx7XHiNQ

Giroux chopping in the Eishockey Liga. Check out the highlight reels at the end, so classic!

Read that Steve Fehr and Daly had a decent discussion on the phone. Hoping that leads to a proper meeting with the big dogs. Unless something happens soon, its good bye Winter Classic. If that goes, they've lost a massive massive game of hockey - can you imagine a game being played in Michigan Stadium in front of 110,000 people!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 4:30am
Supposedly Zetterberg and his new pal Damien Brunner from the Red Wings are tearing up the Swiss League.  The Wings must be somewhat happy that this duo is now proven to work, although I'm sure they would rather see them doing that for Detroit right now LOL

The really interesting thing is the third member of that line, Linus Omark, an Oilers prospect is also tearing it up with them.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit try to pick that guy up from the Oilers since the line has been proven.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 9:15pm
Its sad when u consider how little if at all the general public cares about the nhl lockout-they need to get back to playing in order to cater to the small legion who love this great sport
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 10:29pm
^that small legion is decreasing with each passing day. But all that matters is what the league wants even if it means shutting out the fans and destroying the game.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 12:03am
Small Legion? 
Are you talking about purely America, or is Canada included in that? Because referring to hockey fans as a 'small legion' is not even close to true.

It's the most annoying fact about Hockey, that Canadians will come back to it, regardless of when the lock out ends. It's just too good of a sport. At least from my point of view anyway.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by woodyy05

Small Legion? 
Are you talking about purely America, or is Canada included in that? Because referring to hockey fans as a 'small legion' is not even close to true.

It's the most annoying fact about Hockey, that Canadians will come back to it, regardless of when the lock out ends. It's just too good of a sport. At least from my point of view anyway.

I will watch it, but I'm not buying any gear or going to games or anything for a year or two at least.  And that's a shame as it's one of the best sports to watch in person, the games are very exciting when you're in the arena.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 8:51am
AHHH! Not looking good yet again after these meetings. WTF!
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8610430/nhl-labor-talks-end-tense-exchanges-sources-say

This season just isn't going to happen from the looks of it. What a shame. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 2:58am
According to Forbes, the Leafs are the first NHL team valued at $1 billion US. That's $250 million more than the next highest Rangers. That's hilarious! Worth a billion dollars and can't make the playoffs. But I guess they won something!
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 4:18pm
its not looking too good for this season...... At least I have the Islanders farm team 10 mins from me and the Rangers farm team 50 mins from me....... better than nothing and the tickets are a lot cheaper
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 8:27pm
Ive given up on this season long ago-theyre not playing hockey this year
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 6:00am
As soon as the players hired Fehr this season was toast. 2 hardos going against each other does not lead to good negotiation. Both sides are in the wrong, but the players are being stupid in this matter.

It's amazing how much Fehr has them brainwashed.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 6:15am
Originally posted by timpiper

Ive given up on this season long ago-theyre not playing hockey this year

^^^ this.  I have ready that the players are losing $150mm a month on salary and the league is losing $250mm a month in revenue.  

And yet they can't get over only $185mm over 5 years.  they are detroying the season over what amounts to a few million a month.  I'd lose 3 million a month over 5 years if that means I would get the other $147 million. 

fuck these guys.  I'm watching cricket. 
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:37am
The funny thing is they can't even get the contract figured out using a full 82 game season as the example....the owners are supposedly going to take away the "make whole" provision soon as it doesn't even make sense anymore considering they might have a 60 game season at most.  So how can they guarantee the money?

The fans lose the most, as always.  This season is a wash I'm afraid.  Even if they come back, I hope the fans don't.  These guys don't deserve it.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 11:46am
Finally a deal! Who's going back and who's turned off hockey for good after this pathetic lockout? Unfortunately i'll be back, forgive but won't forget.. I just love my Canucks too much to give up on the NHL.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 5:37pm
I'm definitely gonna start watching again as soon as they start. Another depressing football season here in Buffalo so we're all looking to the Sabres for some real entertainment as a competitive team.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:52am
not into it.  crappy that they did this to us in the first place and I'm not going to support these idiots.  
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 9:21am
Cowboys' season's over...Mavs' season looks like it's doing down the crapper...so, I'll be watching the Stars Confused
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 10:16am
After this lockout, it'll be hard for me to go back and support this game. But as much as I hate to admit it, at some point I'll eventually follow my leafs again. Prolly boycott this season unless they make the playoffs.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 11:22am
Originally posted by lightning80

Cowboys' season's over...Mavs' season looks like it's doing down the crapper...so, I'll be watching the Stars Confused

Better than dancing with them, I suppose?! ;) lol. Sorry. couldn't resist.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Von44

After this lockout, it'll be hard for me to go back and support this game. But as much as I hate to admit it, at some point I'll eventually follow my leafs again. Prolly boycott this season unless they make the playoffs.

oh, and you're a leafs fan?  you might as well have Brian Burke blow your brains out personally.  they are going to trade for Luongo and the whole thing will set them back another 5 years*

*if setting back the leafs any more is even possible 
-zakk

Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 2:11pm
Oh NHL how much I have missed you! I'm fcking stoked about the season still happening. Can't wait till the 19th to watch the first game. And knowing it's a shortened season, my Hawks are actually looking in good shape to make a run for the Cup.  Not only do we have young guys that can have the energy to play in this shortened schedule, we also have pretty decent depth defensively. On top of that, Hossa and Cardiel are going to be back. I'm so ready! 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 4:17pm
My boss said the funniest thing today "It's the first time in ages that the Leafs have been in with a shot at the playoff's in January" haha!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 4:48pm
Leafs are tied for first in January haha.

I think I'll watch it again but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.  They need to be taught a lesson where it hurts, in the wallet.  The unfortunate thing is that it hurts all of the little guys more like sports stores, vendors, arena workers, etc.  The millionaires and billionaires just keep on rolling.  Except the players now have a pension LOL
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:56pm
@zakk - thx for telling me something I already knew. And yes, anything is possible when you're talking about the Leafs and BB.
Also there's nothing like any Leafs bashing that I've never heard before. lol
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

Leafs are tied for first in January haha.

I think I'll watch it again but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.  They need to be taught a lesson where it hurts, in the wallet.  The unfortunate thing is that it hurts all of the little guys more like sports stores, vendors, arena workers, etc.  The millionaires and billionaires just keep on rolling.  Except the players now have a pension LOL
Well, these players do live a tough life making millions to play a sport. It's just hard saving up when you live in million dollar homes and drive expensive cars.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Von44

@zakk - thx for telling me something I already knew. And yes, anything is possible when you're talking about the Leafs and BB.
Also there's nothing like any Leafs bashing that I've never heard before. lol

I bet.  Being a leafs fan is like admitting that you're a Browns fan.  Other fans just respect the amount of suffering you endure.  Sure they get their shot in here and there, but deep down, there is a respect for going down with the ship as the GM yells "Damn the cannons!  Full sail into the wind and head for the reef!"

-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 3:28am
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 5:21am
The Wild at 18/1 is a joke.  Detroit is WAAAAY overvalued, half of their blueline minutes are retired with Nik Lindstrom.  Flyer have a nut job in nets so 12/1 is optimistic at best.  And I'm sorry but the Kings are favored after the Canucks and the Pens with Marc "26 goals in the first round allowed" Andre Fluery?  Please.  

Sharks have no chance, so infinty/1 should be their odds Broken Heart
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 5:28am
Do you want to be the one that bets against Detroit?  I've learned that lesson too many times haha.  Don't do it!  

Toronto should be down near the Columbus level LOL

Philly is a great team if they can just get the goaltending they need.  The wild are unproven but will be entertaining.  I don't get to see many western conf teams so I'm a bit out of the loop with them.

Also, Fleury won a cup, where's the respect!?  Confused
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 6:26am

Also, Fleury won a cup, where's the respect!?  Confused

right with last years 4.63 GAA in the post season next to the sub 85% save percentage. 
-zakk

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 8:31am
^ Chris Osgood won 2 Cups as a starter, 1 as a backup and is 12th on the list for career wins but never got any respect. 

Marie Andrea Fleury blows donkey nuts.

I'm not getting my hopes too high for the Wings this year... the D took a big hit with losing Lidstrom to retirement and Stuart returning to the Sharks.  

In the West I think the Kings, Canucks and Blackhawks will be strong with the Blues being my sleeper pick.

In the East I'll go with the Rangers, Bruins and Caps.  I hate that team from Pittsburgh enough to avoid mentioning them.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 12:56pm

Toronto should be down near the Columbus level LOL
Couldn't agree more. Leafs at 30/1 is a joke!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 1:05pm
wow..when did the Avs get so bad?
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 7:26pm
Odd the Leafs are at the same odds as the defending East champs.

Parise was a hard worker, but make no mistake about it, he did absolutely NOTHING in the playoffs. Henrique was 10x more clutch than Zach has ever been in the playoffs. Aside from some EN goals, Parise was a ghost.
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by zakk

right with last years 4.63 GAA in the post season next to the sub 85% save percentage. 

One bad playoff series doesn't make a goalie suck.  Neither team played any defense whatsoever so its really not Fleury's fault. Every 30 seconds there was a breakaway or a 2 on one, not to mention all the crazy bounces that ended up in the net.  I hate Fleury too, but he's not a bad goalie.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 12:38am
Just heard that Burke got fired. Only the Leafs would wait til the lockout ended before doing something so random.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 5:18pm
Burke's firing is a terrible blow to the Bruins organization!  Haha

And cups trump everything zakk, sorry man.  I have a lot of respect for your comments as you know your stuff.  The fact is, winning erases everything.  I was thinking back today to how back Thomas Kaberle was with the Bruins, they won despite his sht play.  Do I really care?  Not really, my team won!  Fleury has a tremendous team in front of him most of the time, but he DID get it done that one year and that's all that counts.

The Sharks, and Thornton in particular, just don't deliver.  You obviously know this already, I'm just going for the low blow LOL
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 1:05pm
12-0-3! HAWKS are killin it! They are playing fcking awesome. The one thing that's not great but good, is our power play. So if we improve on that, we're gonna be even more of a force to be reckoned with! 

ChiTown = CHICAGO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354