NHL 2011/2012 Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 54>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2011/2012 Season
    Posted: Mar/07/2011 at 8:32am
Pronger is a total idiot, but very effective on the D.

It was very surprising to me (and everyone else I think) to see Philly tanking the way they are.  

Also surprising to me is the Pens ability to stay up there with some major injuries.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 8:40am
^^ it will be interesting to see how the pens are when their stars return...if they do...

my caps looked good last night coming back to beat the lightning and begin to secure that top seed in the SE division...semin is finally looking like he is playing with some heart and ovie is getting back to the top of his game again

only 2 points behind the flyers, i hope they continue to stumble and the caps can regain that #1 seed of the east
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 8:46am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

Pronger is a total idiot, but very effective on the D.

It was very surprising to me (and everyone else I think) to see Philly tanking the way they are.  

Also surprising to me is the Pens ability to stay up there with some major injuries.

how can it be surprising that sub-par goal tending will be the Flyers undoing?  It's been happening to them since Parent retired. 
-zakk

Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 6:42pm
Pens are two points behind the Flyers.  Crazy close race.  Congrats to Neil and Michalek for their first goals in a Pens jersey.  Amazing game tonight boys.  2 games over 50% without Crosby.
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote pyrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:14am
Chara smash you!!!!

hit was pretty brutal...
lienair View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lienair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:17am
Can't believe he got no suspension. The video from the side looking over the benches looks very convincing that he knew exactly what he was doing. I really thought I saw someone die last night playing hockey. Somehow they have to prevent that from happening again.
jerry000 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jerry000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 1:26pm
first off...did you all see that chara hit? i dont think it was a cheap hit, he is a good player and is not known for that kinda stuff, unlike everyones favorite, sean avery.....(extreme sarcasm)

i am a huge devils fan, all day every day...it was a rough firt half of the season, but my question...is there a better team in the nhl right now?

i know their overall record doesnt show it, but the devils have been tearing it up recently

GO DEVILS!
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 7:10pm
the chara hit, i dont think it was a cheap shot, a well deserved penalty just i wouldnt go as far as a match penalty...chara is a big guy so you have to know what to expect when going against a guy that big

for those who didnt see

as for my caps! 6 straights, another solid win against the crappy oilers...should be a good test against carolina and chicago this weekend
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2011 at 5:44am
I didn't see anything wrong with the Chara hit, although I am a Bruins fan.

Obviously the NHL didn't see anything wrong with it either.  The Habs fans are really pissed off though.  

How can you blame Chara for the bad design of the turnbuckle?  1/2 second before or after, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all, it was bad luck.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2011 at 7:01am
what the hell was Gomez going to do to Chara.  LoL 

It was a dangerous hit, but it was shoulder to shoulder.  most guys will let up in that area because of those partitions, but Chara wants to beat someone up.
-zakk

zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2011 at 3:49am
wow cant believe the Habs have now gotten the Montreal Police involved with the Chara hit against Pacioretty, dont think that is going to do anything

big game tonight for the caps, if they can extend their streak they will get that much closer to the 1 seed from the flyers, and the hurricanes are fighting to make the playoffs with only about 15 games left
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 4:53am
caps extend their win streak to 9! its gonna be a tough one to beat the Red Wings on the road but that would be a major accomplishment to hit 10 wins, not to mention to keep the momentum going...still only 1 pt behind the flyers!
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 9:01am
Chara did nothing wrong.  Sometimes people get hurt, especially when the rink is designed to transition from bench to glass with a 90 degree angle.  They should mellow that transition out.  Don't blame the player for making a clean hit.  Fix your rinks if they're unsafe.
pianomanjvb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pianomanjvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 9:02am
that hit was so late. he barely bumped him but after a couple times watching the replay, you could tell he knew wat he was doing
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 10:03am
Just picked up two tickets for Pens and Flyers at the Consol.  Looking forward to the two Pennsylvania teams to go at it!  Woo, playoff race is hot.  Philly is in and the Pens look to be close behind!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 10:20am
NHL playoffs are coming!!! I'm hoping the Sharks finally do well in the postseason now that they have a proven goalie.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 11:00am
man the rangers are really heating up right near the playoffs, they will be a tough team to beat...

cant wait for the playoffs and to grow out the playoff beard

big game on Tuesday for the Caps playing the flyers, should be a good one
ColaLover View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ColaLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 12:10pm
Ovenchkin lets go capitals!!
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 5:55am
Originally posted by ColaLover

Ovenchkin lets go capitals!!

hope you got your 5 posts for the day...next time spell Ovechkin right and say something more insightful

...back to hockey...looks like Ovie will be benched for the next week or two, to rest him for the playoffs, i like the move, i just hope we dont lose any momentum because of it, the moment things look to be going down south we need him back on the front line

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 6:34am
I don't like resting Ovie.  he plays with an edge and I don't think you want that edge to get rusty.  Still surprised the Caps are going with the kids in goal, but looking at what Niemi did last year, it's all the rage.

MTL cops getting involved is a damn joke.  Especially after what Matt Cooke did last night, *that* is what they should be investigating. 
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 10:53am
Matt Cooke should get the rest of the season to think about that one.  Being a Bruins fan doesn't help him in my book, that hit on Savard last year was pretty much a career ender.  Dude has never been the same
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 11:01am
I feel like the Aves are never going to be good again.  Seriously 1-8-1 in their last ten games and 3rd from the bottom of the league...GOOD GRIEF!
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

I feel like the Aves are never going to be good again.  Seriously 1-8-1 in their last ten games and 3rd from the bottom of the league...GOOD GRIEF!

I love how the Avs pinned it all on Craig Anderson and shipped him for Elliott (!!!!) and all the Craiger has done is stabilized the entire Senators team and they immediately sign him to an extension. 

Avs have not been the same in goal since Roy left and went on a drunken fighting rampage with his son LOL 
-zakk

zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 3:06pm

Matt Cooke should get the rest of the season to think about that one.  Being a Bruins fan doesn't help him in my book, that hit on Savard last year was pretty much a career ender.  Dude has never been the same

Cooke is a very dirty player and finally the NHL punishes him, he is suspended for the rest of the season (looks like you got your wish) and first round of the playoffs (which will hopefully be the the end of the season for him and the pens)
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote stevo05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 6:52pm
That punishment is not fair enough as a repeat offender. He should be getting similar sentence to what the NHL gave to Bertuzzi many years ago. That should teach a lesson to those that are on the ice just for cheap shots.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 6:15am
Cooke should have been gone for the rest of the 10/11 season.  I don't think he should have received the Bertuzzi punishment, but he would have gotten 30 games from me and a post season ban.

Campbell is such a tool.  I wish they'd let Cooke take a run at him. 
-zakk

lienair View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lienair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 6:55am
Cooke is gone. (he deserved it)
What is everyone going to talk about now??????

in 2008 Crosby took one game off at the end of the season, against tampa Bay, to recover prior to the playoffs. You would have thought he raped a small child listening to the outrage of non pens fans. Ovenchicken decides to sit 2 weeks (maybe it'll be more) and nobody raises an eyebrow???? Where is the outrage? What about the people who bought tickets to these games to see him play? Do they get a refund? No. Just another example of how there really is no one who comes close to Sid. If you don't like him your just envious. 

Well he's skating hard now, just in time for the playoffs. Just in time to ruin your team's seasonLOL
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 6:56am
Yea i think as well he should have got the 30 game suspension that was a cheap shot and players are informed on what they can and cannot do when checking another player 

zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 7:38am
Originally posted by lienair

Ovenchicken decides to sit 2 weeks (maybe it'll be more) and nobody raises an eyebrow???? Where is the outrage? What about the people who bought tickets to these games to see him play? Do they get a refund? No. Just another example of how there really is no one who comes close to Sid. If you don't like him your just envious. 

there is no outrage bc our team doesnt rely on Ovie, he is a phenomenal player but we still have the likes of Backstrom, Semin (just bc he finally decided to play this season), Knuble, and our new up and comer Johansson...Green can prove himself come playoffs if he really thinks he deserves to be on that list

and really ovenchicken? that is a terrible nickname...and i dont like sid bc he is a baby, i respect his incredible talent/poise in tight situations, but he needs to learn to just shut up and play sometimes

all in all, we will see come playoff time

EDIT: well said Scorer099  \/ \/ \/
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 7:49am
Originally posted by lienair

Just another example of how there really is no one who comes close to Sid. If you don't like him your just envious. 

Crosby is a talented player no doubt, but he is one of the biggest, whiniest, childish, pussies in the game hands down. And to say no one comes close to him is an utterly absurd statement. It just goes to show you drink the kool-aid an the hype that the NHL shoves down everyone's throat.

Would i like him on my team, sure. Would i still think the same of him, absolutely.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by zakk

I love how the Avs pinned it all on Craig Anderson and shipped him for Elliott (!!!!) and all the Craiger has done is stabilized the entire Senators team and they immediately sign him to an extension. 

Avs have not been the same in goal since Roy left and went on a drunken fighting rampage with his son LOL 

I saw Roy in the movie theater once back around 97 or so.  Dude was tiny and totally grungy.  He looked like a dirt Curt Cobain lol.  Man was a hell of a Goalie though, that's for sure.  Plus he gets bonus points because he had no problem skating to center ice to fight the other goalie LOL
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 8:05am

I saw Roy in the movie theater once back around 97 or so.  Dude was tiny and totally grungy.  He looked like a dirt Curt Cobain lol.  Man was a hell of a Goalie though, that's for sure.  Plus he gets bonus points because he had no problem skating to center ice to fight the other goalie and immediately start bleeding. LOL

You forgot the correct ending for your sentence, I fixed it for you.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Scorer099

Crosby is a talented player no doubt, but he is one of the biggest, whiniest, childish, pussies in the game hands down. And to say no one comes close to him is an utterly absurd statement. It just goes to show you drink the kool-aid an the hype that the NHL shoves down everyone's throat.

Would i like him on my team, sure. Would i still think the same of him, absolutely.

Agree 100%.  Talented but a whiny wuss.  

Waiting to see how he plays once he returns from his yeast infection.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 9:40am
Actually, Crosby has been rehabbing his image for the past couple years or so, but he was really yappy when he came into the league (like PK Subban is right now).  He is all business now, and a lot of the players have commented on that recently.

As to why Crosby is better than the rest?  Very simple, he has a ring.  He has a world junior championship medal.  He has an Olympic gold medal (and GWG in that game).  He is a guy that just wins.

Personally I don't like his corporate man image much (Tim Hortons, Reebok, Sportschek, etc), but he is undeniable as a go-to winner in this league.  It's incredible that the Pens have been as competitive as they have been without him and Malkin, a testament to their depth.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 9:50am

Actually, Crosby has been rehabbing his image for the past couple years or so, but he was really yappy when he came into the league (like PK Subban is right now).  He is all business now, and a lot of the players have commented on that recently.

As to why Crosby is better than the rest?  Very simple, he has a ring.  He has a world junior championship medal.  He has an Olympic gold medal (and GWG in that game).  He is a guy that just wins.

Personally I don't like his corporate man image much (Tim Hortons, Reebok, Sportschek, etc), but he is undeniable as a go-to winner in this league.  It's incredible that the Pens have been as competitive as they have been without him and Malkin, a testament to their depth.

There are plenty of guys that have those accolades.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 9:55am
^^^ Really name ONE..... 

The list of players who have those 3 is short enough factor in the olympic gold GWG in OT and you are down to ZERO....
started by flossers making floss for flossers
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 9:57am
After removing the gold-winning GWG, please name them for me and you will find that they are some of the best players in history.  Crosby has all of these at the age of 23.  He is going to have a lot more hardware by the time he's finished if I had to guess.  It's almost certain that he'll get a world championship some day (if he doesn't decline) and the list goes down ever further (Sakic and Neidermeyer?) 

Ovy?  I'm not sure what he'll have, I'm not sure he can keep up his style of play forever.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:05am
List of players off the top of my head who have all 3..... WJHC- Gold, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup.

Alex Mogilny 
Fetisov
Larionov
Blake
Sakic
Shanahan
Pronger
S. Niedermayer (only player to ever win the big 4 and the memorial cup)
Toews

there may be a few more Russians and a couple more Canadians..... but not that I can think or right now and I am too lazy to look it up.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by rook

^^^ Really name ONE..... 

The list of players who have those 3 is short enough factor in the olympic gold GWG in OT and you are down to ZERO....

Scott Niedermayer- 4 Stanleys, 1 Olympic Gold, 1 WC Gold, 1WJC Gold, 1 Canada/World Gold, 1 Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic
Igor Larionov
Viachesov Fetisov

And they all won multiple championships of each (Except Niedermayer who only won 1 WJC, but he did win a Memorial Cup as well.

Then you can take it World Championships (not WJC) and the list gets even more impressive.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:10am
None of them have GWGs in the olympics..... (which is a bit weird to through into the stat pack, but regardless it is in there)...

My thought are really to each his own...... I learned my lesson about hating great players, one day you will have to suck it up and admit you are wrong...... I grew up hating Gretzky and thinking he was female genitals winer.....
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:11am

List of players off the top of my head who have all 3..... WJHC- Gold, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup.

Alex Mogilny 
Fetisov
Larionov
Blake
Sakic
Shanahan
Pronger
S. Niedermayer (only player to ever win the big 4 and the memorial cup)
Toews

there may be a few more Russians and a couple more Canadians..... but not that I can think or right now and I am too lazy to look it up.

Those crossed off won World Championship Golds, not WJC golds, just for nitpicking sake

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:12am

^^^ Really name ONE..... 

Scott Niedermayer- 4 Stanleys, 1 Olympic Gold, 1 WC Gold, 1WJC Gold, 1 Canada/World Gold, 1 Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic
Igor Larionov
Viachesov Fetisov

And they all won multiple championships of each (Except Niedermayer who only won 1 WJC, but he did win a Memorial Cup as well.

Then you can take it World Championships (not WJC) and the list gets even more impressive.

So you've named a bunch of current and future Hall of Famers.  Crosby is 23 and he has all of those, that makes him better than anyone else in the league right now, bar none.  Keep in mind I don't even like the guy that much, but you gotta respect winning.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:12am

None of them have GWGs in the olympics..... (which is a bit weird to through into the stat pack, but regardless it is in there)...

My thought are really to each his own...... I learned my lesson about hating great players, one day you will have to suck it up and admit you are wrong...... I grew up hating Gretzky and thinking he was female genitals winer.....

You are really hanging your hat on a GWG eh?

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:14am

So you've named a bunch of current and future Hall of Famers.  Crosby is 23 and he has all of those, that makes him better than anyone else in the league right now, bar none.  Keep in mind I don't even like the guy that much, but you gotta respect winning.

Completely disagree. There are much more well rounded payers in the league than Crosby, which in my eyes make those others better.

Also, i never said Crosby was a great and talented player...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:15am
Mogilny won the WJC in 1989
Sakic in 1988
Pronger in 1993

I was wrong about Shanny (DQ'd in the punch-up in russia) and Blake..... but thats what I get for trying to do it off the top of your head.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:17am

I am not doing it (I think it is a stupid thing to include, in great player comparison)...... but it was just brought up and you said tons of guys had those 4 things....... which none do......
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:18am

you gotta respect winning.

True, but you know how many great players have been in the league that got stuck on a dead end team? Countless numbers. Hockey is a team game and Crosby has a supporting cast to help him win.
Think about it, the Olympics are essentially national all-star teams, same with the WJC, so of course teams like Canada are expected to win. Then take the Pens, you have Crosby, Malkin, and some good support players and then filling out with a few role players.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:20am

I am not doing it (I think it is a stupid thing to include, in great player comparison)...... but it was just brought up and you said tons of guys had those 4 things....... which none do......

I don't consider a GWG, in any game, an achievement. So it's 3 things.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:21am
Crosby defence is extremely underrated........ I can't really think of any forwards who are better (when all aspects are taken into account) players than Crosby (***when healthy) right now in the league.   

Having said that I wish he would wine a bit less too.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 10:23am

Mogilny won the WJC in 1989
Sakic in 1988
Pronger in 1993

I was wrong about Shanny (DQ'd in the punch-up in russia) and Blake..... but thats what I get for trying to do it off the top of your head.

Accorrding to the website i am looking at they did win WJC, they won WC... there is a difference.
Also, Mogilny didn't even dress during his Olympic gold.

Oh and i didn't mean to cross Sakic off. My appologies.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 54>