Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5051525354>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2011/2012 Season
    Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

I think Suter is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.  They did some stats on him, forget the website, but it rated him as playing the most vs. the best players in the league.  It was an interesting stat, and to top that off, his +/- while playing against those elite players was fantastic.

I think you'll really get to see how good Shea Weber is without his best buddy.  I think looking at his play next year will tell you how good Suter really is.

Of course that's also playing in front of (in my opinion) the best goalie in the league.  Rinne almost single-handedly beat Vancouver last year, and got Detroit this year. Of course time will tell with Suter, but I don't know about next year being as big a year.  Athletes in general tend to do worse the first year on a new team after signing a huge contract.
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Redheaderr

I think Suter is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.  They did some stats on him, forget the website, but it rated him as playing the most vs. the best players in the league.  It was an interesting stat, and to top that off, his +/- while playing against those elite players was fantastic.

I think you'll really get to see how good Shea Weber is without his best buddy.  I think looking at his play next year will tell you how good Suter really is.

Of course that's also playing in front of (in my opinion) the best goalie in the league.  Rinne almost single-handedly beat Vancouver last year, and got Detroit this year. Of course time will tell with Suter, but I don't know about next year being as big a year.  Athletes in general tend to do worse the first year on a new team after signing a huge contract.

Yeah good point on Rinne, I had him in my pool this year, he's spectacular and very solid year after year.  I'm going to be interested to see what Suter does, I think he will at the very least be a great example to the other Dmen in Min.  Backstrom is no slouch either, but he isn't Rinne.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 6:32am
^It's hard to say how Rinne will be affected by Suter leaving, though.  He ate up a ton of minutes back there.  Maybe Suter made Rinne better, and maybe he'll make Backstrom better.  We'll see.  Bottom line is I don't think Minnesota made a mistake or overpaid.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 6:46am

I think you'll really get to see how good Shea Weber is without his best buddy. I think looking at his play next year will tell you how good Suter really is.
Yeah i'm more interested to see how Weber does next year and also vice versa for Suter. It'll be a huge change for both players not being together anymore.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Von44

I think you'll really get to see how good Shea Weber is without his best buddy. I think looking at his play next year will tell you how good Suter really is.
Yeah i'm more interested to see how Weber does next year and also vice versa for Suter. It'll be a huge change for both players not being together anymore.

both are good, but when you put two all-world d-men on the same pairing, skate in front of a Vezina candidate, play 30 minutes a night, it makes the whole thing better.  

I'd bet Weber doesn't sign and extension and Rinne won't be nearly the goalie stat wise he has been.  those three cogs all needed each other.

In other news, love the Sharks getting Larry Robinson as an associate coach.  i think he'll really help the PK and make Todd actually coach this year
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 4:36am
Originally posted by zakk

In other news, love the Sharks getting Larry Robinson as an associate coach.  i think he'll really help the PK and make Todd actually coach this year
The Sharks will have to train Larry Robinson pretty extensively before the season gets going.  The issue is that he's a born winner, so the Sharks organization is going to have to teach him how to choke when the pressure is on.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 4:55am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

The Sharks will have to train Larry Robinson pretty extensively before the season gets going.  The issue is that he's a born winner, so the Sharks organization is going to have to teach him how to choke when the pressure is on.
Shouldn't be too hard when they have a captain like no-show-joe leading by example.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 3:23pm

Shouldn't be too hard when they have a captain like no-show-joe leading by example.

someone didn't watch much of the 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 3:15am
Now that Parise and Suter signed, the remaining UFA's are pretty underwhelming.  Seems like most of the big names are in their mid-30's.  Dwayne Roloson is available, though, if you're in the market for a 42-year-old goalie.  That being said, he's still good.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 3:26am
Rolston at 39, Blake at 38, Arnott at 37, Knuble at 40, Selanne at 42, Holmstrom at 39... a lot of old dudes looking for a job.  Of that bunch I would still take Selanne, he has a knack for scoring (66 points last season, 80 points the season before).
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 6:32am

Now that Parise and Suter signed, the remaining UFA's are pretty underwhelming.  Seems like most of the big names are in their mid-30's.  Dwayne Roloson is available, though, if you're in the market for a 42-year-old goalie.  That being said, he's still good.

yeah, he totally didn't get outplayed by Matty Garon and have his stats fall off a cliff last year:

http://yhoo.it/MhYnEV

Does anyone actually watch hockey in here?
-zakk

rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 7:57am

yeah, he totally didn't get outplayed by Matty Garon and have his stats fall off a cliff last year:

Yep.... I just don't post.  Makes my head hurt to much.  
started by flossers making floss for flossers
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 1:11pm
@zakk - who cares about what Thornton did over the regular season. what matters is that he doesn't show up in the playoffs.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by ctoma

Rolston at 39, Blake at 38, Arnott at 37, Knuble at 40, Selanne at 42, Holmstrom at 39... a lot of old dudes looking for a job.  Of that bunch I would still take Selanne, he has a knack for scoring (66 points last season, 80 points the season before).

Jagr just signed with the Stars...he's old too...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 3:05am

Trust me, I'm not trying to sell anybody on Dwayne Roloson.  However, I don't think it's a stretch to refer to a goalie who is still an NHL regular at 42 as "good."  Especially considering his stats had been solid up until last year.  And also considering  he's the oldest goalie other than Dominik Hasek to play in the NHL since 1974.  Does anyone actually know the definition of the word "good' in here?
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 5:43am

Trust me, I'm not trying to sell anybody on Dwayne Roloson.  However, I don't think it's a stretch to refer to a goalie who is still an NHL regular at 42 as "good."  Especially considering his stats had been solid up until last year.  And also considering  he's the oldest goalie other than Dominik Hasek to play in the NHL since 1974.  Does anyone actually know the definition of the word "good' in here?

good would be around league average, which was a  .914 save % and a 2.54 GAA this past season.  

Rollie the Goalie ranked 44th (out of 44) in both GAA and Save % after such goal tending legends such as Al Montoya, James Reimer and his teammate Mattieu Garon.  

42 year old goalies who looked easily 2 step slower than the rest of the league does not rediscover that in an off-season headed to his 43rd birfday.  

especially not one that has relied more on acrobatics and tenacity than size and positioning.  

-zakk

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 5:48am

@zakk - who cares about what Thornton did over the regular season. what matters is that he doesn't show up in the playoffs.

He has been there the past two years, but yes, his Boston years were the days of being a ghost.

the Sharks as a whole do not have the "It" factor that teams that win it.  it's a culture thing and one that this current incarnation of the team will go to retirement with.  Much like the 2007 Senators, 2013 Vancouver Canucks, and, if you talk to a Toronto native, every Leaf's squad since 1968.  

-zakk

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 12:41pm
Teemu going back to the Ducks...42yrs old..and still playing..wow
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 4:16am

He has been there the past two years, but yes, his Boston years were the days of being a ghost.

the Sharks as a whole do not have the "It" factor that teams that win it.  it's a culture thing and one that this current incarnation of the team will go to retirement with.  Much like the 2007 Senators, 2013 Vancouver Canucks, and, if you talk to a Toronto native, every Leaf's squad since 1968.  

No love for the 1993 Maple Leafs?  I thought that team was great.  Obviously they didn't get it done, because they were the Maple Leafs, but that was a good team with plenty of grit.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 4:30am

good would be around league average, which was a  .914 save % and a 2.54 GAA this past season.  

Rollie the Goalie ranked 44th (out of 44) in both GAA and Save % after such goal tending legends such as Al Montoya, James Reimer and his teammate Mattieu Garon.  

42 year old goalies who looked easily 2 step slower than the rest of the league does not rediscover that in an off-season headed to his 43rd birfday.  

especially not one that has relied more on acrobatics and tenacity than size and positioning.  
You can study stats all day, but actually Rollie's numbers last year are better than some of Grant Fuhr's Stanley Cup years, and on par with Fuhr's career averages.  I thought Grant Fuhr was a great goalie, but if you hang your hat on numbers, he was quite poor.  Granted, the Oilers didn't play any defense, and didn't need to, but Tampa didn't play any defense last year either.  They just couldn't score enough to make up for it. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 5:40pm
A few things:

-Tim Thomas' move is selfish and I told him so on his Facebook profile LOL

-Rollie should retire after that year he just had, but then again he looked pretty damned good the year before in the playoffs right?

-Will be interesting to see JVR go back to centre for the Leafs, God knows they need someone in the middle that can make plays.  What a horrible team.  Riemer might try to take his job back after that injury-riddled season

-Kings will be scary this year, they hardly lost anyone.

-Boston's young guns will be fun to watch this year.  Seguin, Caron, Hamilton should all be players to watch.  Horton will hopefully make a return and be symptom free, he really was missed in the playoffs.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 3:26am

-Will be interesting to see JVR go back to centre for the Leafs, God knows they need someone in the middle that can make plays.  What a horrible team.  Riemer might try to take his job back after that injury-riddled season
JVR's quote on being traded to Toronto:

"going to play in Toronto is really exciting for me. The tradition they have there, the city, the fans, it's all unbelievable. Growing up a big time Yankees fan, it's kind of like playing for the New York Yankees of the NHL."

That was probably a fair comparison in 1965, but they've taken slightly different paths from there on out.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 6:36am

JVR's quote on being traded to Toronto:

"going to play in Toronto is really exciting for me. The tradition they have there, the city, the fans, it's all unbelievable. Growing up a big time Yankees fan, it's kind of like playing for the New York Yankees of the NHL."

That was probably a fair comparison in 1965, but they've taken slightly different paths from there on out.

Yeah the market might dictate that they are like the Yankees (you should see the ticket prices in Toronto, which is the closest NHL market to me).  What's funny is when you're at the games it's all business type guys that show up in the middle period with their Blackberries and don't even pay attention to the games, in their corporate seats.  There is no fire in that building like in Montreal for example.

And they can't win anything, which is humorous to me.  I am surrounded by Leafs fans in my city and it's great to see them fail year after year.  The Bruins win just made it that much sweeter, grapes.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 10:00am
^I still haven't been to a Leafs game at ACC yet cuz tix are so friggin pricey! But I used to go to games on a weekly basis back when Maple Leaf Gardens was running the show. It was a much different time then; felt like the roof was gonna collapse from how loud the place got. And now watching a bunch of suits sitting by rinkside just makes me sick to know the Leafs ended up being sellouts and kicked the true Leaf fans to the curb. I'm so far from it now that I could care less if they ever won the cup.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 3:18am

Yeah the market might dictate that they are like the Yankees (you should see the ticket prices in Toronto, which is the closest NHL market to me).  What's funny is when you're at the games it's all business type guys that show up in the middle period with their Blackberries and don't even pay attention to the games, in their corporate seats.  There is no fire in that building like in Montreal for example.

And they can't win anything, which is humorous to me.  I am surrounded by Leafs fans in my city and it's great to see them fail year after year.  The Bruins win just made it that much sweeter, grapes.
So they are in a Yankees-like market, but they have Dodgers fans?  
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 7:15am
I never understood the fans that go to the games to not actually watch.  I went to a Wings game a few years back where the girls in front of us were just dicking around on their phones till late in the second period when they just left.  They wouldn't even cheer for any of the goals. I wanted to 300 kick them down the cement stairs.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 7:41am
^ Because in Detroit it's more important to be seen at the game than actually paying attention to the game.  Those girls were probably updating their Facebook status... "At the Red Wings game!!!" and taking pictures of each other making duck faces to upload to Facebook.  Back when the Wings sucked the real fans went to the games.  Now it's all about appearances and getting the hot ticket in town.

I took the baseball team I coach to the Tigers game last night (ten 8-year-olds and some of their parents) and most of the people I could see around us were watching the game, cheering and having a good time.  It was farking hot as hell but still had a good time.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 6:15am

^ Because in Detroit it's more important to be seen at the game than actually paying attention to the game.  Those girls were probably updating their Facebook status... "At the Red Wings game!!!" and taking pictures of each other making duck faces to upload to Facebook.  Back when the Wings sucked the real fans went to the games.  Now it's all about appearances and getting the hot ticket in town.
Exactly.  And those girls certainly didn't pay for those tickets with their hard-earned money.  Their daddy bought them, so they think nothing of being at the game and completely ignoring what goes on.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 3:34pm

Read this, it would cost you at least $500 to bring a family of 4 to a Leafs game these days, it's sickening.  And those tickets are nothing special at all, not even close to lower bowl.

The average cost of a non-premium Leafs ticket for the 2011-2012 season is $123.77 — the same amount as last season, but enough to lead the league for a second year in row. For the entire NHL, the average price of a non-premium ticket this season is $57.10, up 4.8 percent over last season.

The Winnipeg Jets, formerly the Atlanta Thrashers, have the league's second-highest average ticket price at $98.27. Rounding out the top five are the Montreal Canadiens($88.67); the Edmonton Oilers ($70.13); and the Vancouver Canucks ($68.38). All prices are listed in U.S. dollars.

The team with the lowest average ticket price was the Dallas Stars ($29.95).

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 3:32am
Shea Weber signs a 14 year offer sheet from the Flyers, Nashville claims they will match any offer for Weber.  Let's see if they do.

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 3:50am

Shea Weber signs a 14 year offer sheet from the Flyers, Nashville claims they will match any offer for Weber.  Let's see if they do.

fucking Sharks not doing a damn thing this off-season.  It was obvious they didn't have the defense to go deep in the playoffs and sit by as two generational talents get snatched up. 

Marleau is paid $6.9mm, how can they not pay Shea Freakin' Weber $7.2mm?
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 5:35am

Read this, it would cost you at least $500 to bring a family of 4 to a Leafs game these days, it's sickening.  And those tickets are nothing special at all, not even close to lower bowl.

The average cost of a non-premium Leafs ticket for the 2011-2012 season is $123.77 — the same amount as last season, but enough to lead the league for a second year in row. For the entire NHL, the average price of a non-premium ticket this season is $57.10, up 4.8 percent over last season.

The Winnipeg Jets, formerly the Atlanta Thrashers, have the league's second-highest average ticket price at $98.27. Rounding out the top five are the Montreal Canadiens($88.67); the Edmonton Oilers ($70.13); and the Vancouver Canucks ($68.38). All prices are listed in U.S. dollars.

The team with the lowest average ticket price was the Dallas Stars ($29.95).

I'm definitely not defending the high price of tickets, especially Maple Leafs tickets, but clearly the average price is affected by the exchange rate considering the top 5 are all Canadian teams.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 5:37am

fucking Sharks not doing a damn thing this off-season.  It was obvious they didn't have the defense to go deep in the playoffs and sit by as two generational talents get snatched up. 

Marleau is paid $6.9mm, how can they not pay Shea Freakin' Weber $7.2mm?
The Flyers like to sign guys to incredibly long contracts and then trade them away, so don't worry about it.  Weber could still be a Shark in 2 years.  Just ask the Kings.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 6:47am
^haha good point grapeape! I don't think I've ever seen a player ever live out a long term contract when signed by philly.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 6:51am
I can't see how Nashville could match that offer, it's a big one.  
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 7:01am
^All I know is these contracts have gotten ridiculous! I remember when a 5 year deal was massive. Things have really gotten out of hand.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 10:30am

^All I know is these contracts have gotten ridiculous! I remember when a 5 year deal was massive. Things have really gotten out of hand.

It looks like the NHL is going to try to get rid of some of these front-loaded contracts.  Might be a strike this year, who knows.

"According to reports, the NHL is seeking to cut into the players’ share of the hockey-related  revenue down to 46% from 57%; remove salary arbitration; extend the period it takes players to become free agents to 10 years; limit player contracts to a maximum of five years; and lengthen entry-level contracts to five years from three."

So you might get your wish.  I think 51-52% will probably be the final number.  I really like the entry level stuff, hopefully smaller teams can keep their young players for a while longer before losing them to the big market teams.  Ditto for the 10 year free agent clause
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 5:12am

The long deals are just a way to play games with the salary cap.  Marian Hossa's 12-year contract has a few years on the end that pay him like $750,000/year to get his cap number down.  And I think Suter and Parise's contracts are similar, where they are scheduled to take huge pay cuts at the end of the contract, so they are paid a lot more than their cap hit for most of the contract.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 6:45am
Yeah thats what a lot of teams are doing now with their stars. They pay them a ton of money for the first few years then very little towards the end of the contract.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 1:24pm

It looks like the NHL is going to try to get rid of some of these front-loaded contracts.  Might be a strike this year, who knows.

"According to reports, the NHL is seeking to cut into the players’ share of the hockey-related  revenue down to 46% from 57%; remove salary arbitration; extend the period it takes players to become free agents to 10 years; limit player contracts to a maximum of five years; and lengthen entry-level contracts to five years from three."

So you might get your wish.  I think 51-52% will probably be the final number.  I really like the entry level stuff, hopefully smaller teams can keep their young players for a while longer before losing them to the big market teams.  Ditto for the 10 year free agent clause

i don't see how the players can buy into capping the term of contracts.  It's the owners agents (the GM's) who are cooking up these deals.  the owners cry foul and then want the payers to save the owners from the management they the owner hire?

how the hell does that make sense?
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 3:09pm
The analysts basically said that the NHL proposal was tantamount to a declaration of war to the players.  They will obviously come back with a ridiculous counter proposal of their own and hopefully they work it out from here.  Post-strike hockey has been fantastic in my view and I hope they don't get all greedy.  Share the profits, enjoy the game and get rid of these stupid front-loaded long contracts
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 5:08pm
Sounds like they aren't even close to a deal. This game will suffer because greed has taken over the game.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 6:06am
in the end, they need football style revenue sharing so that the Nashville's of the world have a war-chest that can somewhat compete with the likes of Philly (Comcast money) can.

I think a deal will get done, but I honestly feel bad for the players. all they are doing is signing contacts that the owners are writing themselves and then they get punished for it?  

Players have lived up to their side of the CBA and the owners are getting ready to kill the game in the name of profits.  
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 3:24am
I'm not surprised that the owners are pulling this again considering how the last strike worked out for the NHLPA.  It's too bad though, because the players really aren't being greedy at this point.

And the front-loaded contracts obviously work out for the players that sign them, but it benefits the teams just as much in that they can spread the cap hit over the entire length of the contract.  But if they want to get rid of that type of contract, why not just have the cap hit be the actual salary that each player is paid for the current year?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 7:05pm

I'm not surprised that the owners are pulling this again considering how the last strike worked out for the NHLPA.  It's too bad though, because the players really aren't being greedy at this point.

And the front-loaded contracts obviously work out for the players that sign them, but it benefits the teams just as much in that they can spread the cap hit over the entire length of the contract.  But if they want to get rid of that type of contract, why not just have the cap hit be the actual salary that each player is paid for the current year?

Then there's still the problem of contracts like the one the Blackhawks gave Hossa. 12 years 62.8 million at age 30? There's no way hes going to be playing at 42, so instead of doing so much of the frontloaded contract, teams will just extend the length of the contracts, and end up buying out the last x amount of years after the player regresses too much from age.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Redheaderr

Then there's still the problem of contracts like the one the Blackhawks gave Hossa. 12 years 62.8 million at age 30? There's no way hes going to be playing at 42, so instead of doing so much of the frontloaded contract, teams will just extend the length of the contracts, and end up buying out the last x amount of years after the player regresses too much from age.
I think you're missing the point.  The reason Hossa's deal is that long is to reduce the cap hit, because the cap hit is the average salary over the life of the deal.  If the cap hit was instead the actual amount due to the player in any given year, the Blackhaws would have never offered Hossa a front-loaded deal, because there would be no benefit.  It's all about being under the cap while still loading up your roster.  They pay Hossa $14M this year, but his cap hit is only $7M (not real numbers, just an example).  So their actual payroll exceeds the salary cap.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 6:21am
I'm just trying to say, if they don't limit contract length too, then that will be the next loophole the GMs will use.  For instance instead of a steady $4mil a year for 4 years, they sign the player at $2 mil per year for 8 years.  I just used Hossa as an example because I thought of his first as a contract that's already longer than necessary, especially for a forward.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 12:45pm
Rangers got themselves a good offensive player to go with the brilliance of henrick l.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 12:55pm
Welp, Shea Weber is staying in Nashville.  still some very good players they can sign to RFA offer sheets
-zakk

bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 1:51pm
Really happy Rangers got Nash but I am sad to see Dubi and Anisimov go....... Still got a pretty stacked team with 2 pair of great D and and ton of speed and young tallent up front
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354>