NHL 2011/2012 Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 51525354>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2011/2012 Season
    Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Redheaderr

I'm just trying to say, if they don't limit contract length too, then that will be the next loophole the GMs will use.  For instance instead of a steady $4mil a year for 4 years, they sign the player at $2 mil per year for 8 years.  I just used Hossa as an example because I thought of his first as a contract that's already longer than necessary, especially for a forward.
Again, what are you talking about?  Obviously if a team could convince a guy to play for twice as long for the same money, they would take that deal.  The player wouldn't unless they were an idiot.  
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by zakk

Welp, Shea Weber is staying in Nashville.  still some very good players they can sign to RFA offer sheets
Would have liked to see him come to Philly, he's basically Pronger but 12 years younger.  Flyers are still going to have a major hole on defense this season.  They are committed to Bryz, and he is so shaky, they need a top notch defense in front of him.
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 10:09am
As a Bruins fan I'm not happy about NYR getting a hold of Nash, but very happy Nashville ended up locking up Weber.  Keep these dudes outta my conference haha.  I really didn't think the Preds had the cash to match the deal, I'm pretty surprised.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 5:37am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

As a Bruins fan I'm not happy about NYR getting a hold of Nash, but very happy Nashville ended up locking up Weber.  Keep these dudes outta my conference haha.  I really didn't think the Preds had the cash to match the deal, I'm pretty surprised.
I think Philly put them in a tough spot.  Suter already took off, so if they let Weber go during the same offseason when they had a chance to match the offer, it wouldn't show much of a commitment to winning.  And I think Nashville has solid attendance, and their fan base is growing, but they are in a fragile market.  They did what they had to do.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 5:47am
Philly already has a lot of young talent coming up but mostly on the offensive end. Weber would have been a great addition and could have given them the solid defense that they need and used to have with Pronger.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:33am
^I'm just glad that Nashville matched, because I hate Philly, and Weber would have been a great addition for them.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 8:22am
philly would have been trouble if they had gotten weber.  they always seem one piece away from a championship team.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 3:07am
Originally posted by getkong

philly would have been trouble if they had gotten weber.  they always seem one piece away from a championship team.
Maybe it's because they trade those pieces away: Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Peter Forsberg are all good examples.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 7:26am
Shane Doan thinks he's worth $7.5M/yr. That's awesome! 50 pt player. 35 years old. I always thought he was a stand up guy but I guess he's a stand up guy only when the price is right.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Von44

Shane Doan thinks he's worth $7.5M/yr. That's awesome! 50 pt player. 35 years old. I always thought he was a stand up guy but I guess he's a stand up guy only when the price is right.
Nothing wrong with a guy trying to get one last big payday.  I don't think he's worth that, but I don't fault him for asking.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 3:44am
I don't fault him either.  An athlete's playing career is short, relatively speaking.  While I do not think any athlete deserves to be paid multi-millions/year to play a game if I were in their shoes I would try to squeeze every last penny out of the owners.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 3:25am
^Absolutely.  He just wants Scott Gomez money for Scott Gomez stats.
BLipson View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote BLipson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 4:40am
It's a business, just like a regular job, you try to negotiate to get paid the most you can.
lienair View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lienair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 7:30am
Starting to look like there won't be any need for an NHL 2012/ 2013 thread.
NHL = No Hockey League....... againAngry

Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 7:34am
I'm gonna be so pissed if there's a lockout. Its ridiculous, These guys are paid way less than baseball, basketball and football players and the owners can't compromise with them.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 6:10am
Originally posted by steezemisterr

I'm gonna be so pissed if there's a lockout. Its ridiculous, These guys are paid way less than baseball, basketball and football players and the owners can't compromise with them.
You can't compare hockey with those other sports, because it doesn't generate the same sort of revenue.  The annoying thing is that the players are willing to make concessions, but the owners beat them up so badly during the last labor dispute that they have no reason to compromise.  I just hope something gets worked out, because another lockout will just make the situation worse.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 6:34am
^ Yeah you're right about that, it is definitely totally different than those sports but I just want this issue to get resolved.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 10:08am
If there is a lockout, which most likely will happen, its gonna be very hard to come back as a fan and enjoy games again.
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 10:14am
I'm so pumped for this season if thee is a lockout I'm gonna be livid!

Especially in the east this year there should be some great hockey between teams like the Bruins, devils, penguins, rangers, flyers, maybe even the islanders lol
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 3:08am
Originally posted by bhswrestler150

I'm so pumped for this season if thee is a lockout I'm gonna be livid!

Especially in the east this year there should be some great hockey between teams like the Bruins, devils, penguins, rangers, flyers, maybe even the islanders lol
The Islanders play really well once they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.  I think that's the key.  Someone has to convince them that they aren't playoff eligible so they will be free to win with no pressure on them.  Then we could watch them crash and burn in the first round.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 9:01am
I think the league has never been better, but you wouldn't know it by the damned negotiations (or lack of) going on.  There should be league sharing and we should also get out of stupid markets.

Only good thing about a lockout is I don't have to hear the bullsht TSN ads touting "Tradecentre 2013" for a god damned month just to have nothing happen on trade deadline.  
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 9:25pm
I was sitting at a table next to teemu selanne tonight at dinner... Pretty cool as im a big ducks fan
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 3:40am
Originally posted by timpiper

I was sitting at a table next to teemu selanne tonight at dinner... Pretty cool as im a big ducks fan
Name dropper.  That's pretty cool though.  Did you say hi to him or anything, or did you just awkwardly stare at him?  Dinner is kind of a tough place to approach someone just because it's not really cool to interrupt someone while they're trying to eat.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2012 at 9:19am
We need to start a new 2012/13 thread for this (assuming the new season does happen.)  My prediction is that the San Jose Sharks will have an identical season as last year, eternally coming up short but putting up a good fight.
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by screwyvarmint

We need to start a new 2012/13 thread for this (assuming the new season does happen.) 

Man I really do hope it happens. Considering that I've only been into hockey since '07, it's still pretty new to me as a sport that I follow and it quickly grew into one of my favorites. So for there to not be a season would kill me.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2012 at 5:36pm
It would really be a killer for all sports fans. I love watching hockey and the only other sport to watch in winter is basketball which I never got into so I'm really hoping that there isn't a lockout this year cause it would just kill me.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 7:37am
I remember the lockout back in 04/05 and it was pretty much the toughest winter without hockey on tv. Id hate to have to go through that again. Let's all hope something can get done soon.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 5:45pm
The one lockout was pretty beneficial for the league but another one now would just kill all the progress that the sport has made since then. It would be just a terrible blow to the league and their fan base.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 3:27am
The league and the union are finally meeting again tomorrow.  It really annoys me that they take these long breaks with no discussion.  It just seems like they don't care if a deal gets done.  Obviously you can't meet every day, but it seems like something should always be scheduled.  Being a fan sucks.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 7:19pm
The nhl completely obliterated their fringe fans as a result of the last lockout-they cannot afford to do this again
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 5:57am
Originally posted by timpiper

The nhl completely obliterated their fringe fans as a result of the last lockout-they cannot afford to do this again

agreed NHL has really made some serious strides in the ratings...I hope they do not blow it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 4:24am
I think the NHL has never been better, I've been watching for about 20 years.  The only problem is see is no profit sharing between good teams and bad.  But then again, who are the players to tell the owners how to do business?

Both sides are very far apart on philosophies, this one will be a while I think.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 11:06am
This lockout is definitely going to hurt the fan support. On the other side though just think about all of the players who were going to make their debut this year. Now they have to wait most likely an entire year to get a chance.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 1:18pm
*zakk shuffles some papers, straightens his clip-on tie*

Good afternoon to the learned gentlemen of the discussion.  

This post is about the NHL lockout.  I'm sad to report that this season is all but lost.  If we play any hockey at all between now and June, I'll be VERY surprised.  The question then remains is how we then get back at it in 2013-14.  I don't see how we can when the core economic issues (25% roll back, RFA until 31 vs. No rollback, current RFA and Revenue Sharing) are about as close as the Earth is to the star constellation Ursa Major...here's a hit: not even close.

The sad part is this will hurt the already floundering markets like Phoenix, Nashville, Florida and Tampa Bay which are not the big markets.  toronto, montreal, philly, Ranger, etc. will have no problem with deep pockets and lucrative arena deals behind them they just don't just such a fat Festivus Bonus.  San Jose, Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, Colorado, the mid-market teams that have good backing but certainly are not printing money will feel a pinch, but should survive.  But the NHLPA is about creating and maintaining NHL jobs, so contraction that a prolonged, multi-year lockout would weaken them.  So that can't happen...but a deal can't happen...alas we are gridlocked on the NHLPA side: they are screwed either way.  

Bettman has consolidated power and any labor agreement he personally doesn't like takes a 75% to ratify.  Seeing as there are 8 teams that stand to lose hundreds of millions in any revenue sharing agreement, the deck is stacked against any semblance of power sharing amongst the owners.  this then begs the question if the owners aren't willing to help each other, why would the talent (which is both the labor and the product oddly enough) then move in to save the owners when their brethren would just as soon as feed them to the proverbial zombie and save only themselves?  

the question really is how many years (plural) the players can hold out.  the owners, as an aggregate, are saving money that they would be (allegedly) losing by not paying the players.  Because the contracts that the owners Hockey Operations Henchman, thier General Managers, were tossing around $130 million USD contracts like street tacos being hawked at a Dia de Muerta fiesta.  So the owners need to be saved from...their own hand picked employees?  

If you didn't read all of that, here are the cliff notes: labor strife sucks, zakk likes tacos.  
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 4:20am
^I say scrap it.  Let the NHL go and bring back the WHA.  Can't imagine that could happen considering what it takes to establish new franchises all over the country, but it would be nice to get away from the stupidity that goes on every time the NHL and NHLPA try to come to a labor agreement.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 4:40am
Originally posted by zakk

*zakk shuffles some papers, straightens his clip-on tie*

If you didn't read all of that, here are the cliff notes: labor strife sucks, zakk likes tacos.  

Nice work, zakk.  Would you consider taking the job once I hire some ninja assassins to eliminate Bettman?

Oh, and I like tacos, too, but let's not get this started again when we got Spammed:

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 9:56pm
Hockey is awesome-the nhl, however, is a horribly run league with shameful promotion efforts and now repeated work stoppages and labor disputes. The future looks bleak. Why they're at it they should update nhl to ihl since its actually an international sports league
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 8:45am
Pretty ironic as a Kings fan...first championship in team history...a stacked team that is only getting better...ready to make multiple championship runs and then lock out...I guess I should just be happy they snuck it in before this mess.
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 6:25pm
Here is the link

looks like there is an offer on the table and up to the players to decide

looks like there could be a full season starting in early November!

Some promising news !!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by bhswrestler150

Here is the link

looks like there is an offer on the table and up to the players to decide

looks like there could be a full season starting in early November!

Some promising news !!!!

The pressure is now squarely on the players, although I think the 50/50 thing is less important to the players than some of the other items up for discussion.  

It's impressive to me that they could still fit the entire 82 game schedule in, along with the winter classic while starting so late.  I hold out hope for the start, although I'm not sure they'll get it done by the deadline for a Nov 2 start.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 4:08am
Nobody should get their hopes up!

No hockey is absolutely wrecking me but I'm just not sure the players will cave in again like last time, especially so soon. They don't want the owners to call the shots so I can see why their holding up and playing hard ball.

I find it ridiculous they didn't just agree on a 50/50 split straight up. Its completely fair and both sides aren't getting a better deal than the other but the whole thing with the contracts is a joke. The owners are the ones signing them to these huge contracts then saying they want to get rid of them is just pathetic!

Please please tell me this is a good deal and we get some hockey back in a couple of weeks!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 6:52am
Good article from Bob Mckenzie on TSN about how the contract was not well-received by the players for a multitude of reasons.  Here are some:

-enormous player $ reduction
-arbitration language not great
-"make whole" provision is paid by players, not owners

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 7:11am
^On that note, we ain't seein any hockey this winter.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 8:33am
The NHL has just released their full proposal, the PA is probably going to go ballistic as they have both committed to not negotiating "through the media".

Anyway, it's pretty technical, but here is the shortened version with full version available via link

Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 1:41pm
Well this isn't good. Seems like they're going backwards now after the NHLPA had a counter offer that the NHL didn't like. This really sucks for us fans. These greedy sexual act all want more money and it's killing me over here. I want some hockey action!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 5:47pm
this really blows...nhl was really starting to gain momentum in ratings...
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 1:20am
I can't deal with this anymore. I get annoyed and angry and then the NHL comes back with what seems to be a reasonable offer, the media brings it up that its a huge step in the right direction then Fehr just comes and knocks it back. It's not fair! I want my hockey back!!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 3:00am
Clearly the NHL wants to work off their offer.  Why wouldn't the NHLPA just go through and mark up the NHL's proposal instead of submitting 3 new counter-proposals?  Then at least you have talking points but you are working from one document.

I guess it could be seen as weak to concede that the other side's proposal will be the framework of a new deal, but I don't think the PA has much leverage, so why not?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 10:08am
I think this one is going to be in for the long haul guys, better get ready.  Once the winter classic and allstar games are cancelled (supposedly within a month), the season might go with it.

The players don't want to give up a penny of the money in current contracts, and frankly, can you blame them?  The owners were constantly bitching about money and then a day later coming out with outrageous contracts that just make you shake your head.  THEY were the ones who inflated everything and now they want to take signed contract money away, it's incredible.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 10:48am
Well, it looks like we're gonna have to start following some AHL and KHL teams and a bunch of other leagues. This really sucks. I can't put in words how shitty this makes me feel knowing a whole season of hockey might be gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 51525354>