NHL 2011/2012 Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 56789 54>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2011/2012 Season
    Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 6:50am
I'm very excited for Bruins/Habs, Hawks/Van city, and Sharks/Kings

Bruins/Habs especially will be a wild affair, mark my words.  They haven't forgotten about the Pach/Chara hit, but they should.  It's hard to make a 7 footer pay.  

Battle of Cali should be interesting, I would love to catch some of those games too, but I doubt they'll be playing over here in Ontario.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 7:12am
Oh, and one other thing.  If the Sharks get beaten by the Anze-less Kings, management is going to get BLOWN UP in San Jose.  Enough is enough.  Constantly over 100 pts in the regular season and yet no finals, do something Sharks!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 7:15am
At least the Wings finished the season on a strong note, beating the Blackhawks in Chicago.

Now, on to the first round vs. Phoenix.  Didn't we do this last year?  It's deja vu all over again.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 7:28am

Dallas couldn't beat the Wild and missed the playoffs...that's the end of my season...

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 8:02am
I'm taking Wash, Buf, Tampa, and Boston for the East. And West I'll go Van, SJ, Det, Nsh.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 8:08am
I give hockey 3 seasons of life left, MAX.  Maybe they could combine with baseball and make both sports far more appealing.
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by carebear

I give hockey 3 seasons of life left, MAX.  Maybe they could combine with baseball and make both sports far more appealing.
The lockout is what really screwed over the NHL
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 8:26am
Originally posted by odoyale rules

The lockout is what really screwed over the NHL

The interest level dropped dramatically in Colorado after that happened.  You used to see Aves jerseys everywhere, now they are few and far between.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 9:21am
Originally posted by zakk

Originally posted by timpiper

i'm so amped for the playoffs. is there anything better than playoff hockey??

no.  nothing.  except two chicks at the same time WITH playoff hockey on the TV.  that's the only thing better. 

hahah i was just about to say how there really is nothing more exciting, but you beat me to it hahaha

Zakk's predictions:
Blackhawks in 6
Sharks in 5
Phoenix in 7
Preds in 6

Washington in 6
Buffalo in 7
Boston in 5
Tampa in 7
Like the picks, mine are very similar, the only major difference is i think the wings will beat Phoenix, even though i hope they dont
Blackhawks in 7
Sharks in 7
Wings in 6
Preds in 5

Washington in 5
Buffalo in 6
Boston in 5
Tampa in 7
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 9:34am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

Oh, and one other thing.  If the Sharks get beaten by the Anze-less Kings, management is going to get BLOWN UP in San Jose.  Enough is enough.  Constantly over 100 pts in the regular season and yet no finals, do something Sharks!

Sharks fans are already expecting a bad loss.  I know how you feel though, they seem to have top talent every year just to lose to an inferior team in the playoffs.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 9:37am
Canucks in 6
Sharks in 5
Wings in 7
Preds in 7

Caps in 5
Flyers in 6
Bruins in 6
Pens in 7
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 9:39am
Just to throw mine in:

Canucks in 5
Sharks in 6
Wings in 6
Ducks in 7

Bruins in 6
Sabres in 7
Caps in 5
TB in 7

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 9:44am

i'm surprised to see so many prediting blackhawks over canucks...

bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 9:49am

The popularity of hockey is suspect in some areas... but the fanbase is diehard in just as many areas. I don't think I need to mention Canada. Heck, Vancouver (where I'm from) has sold out every game for the last ... I don't know how many... seasons. Even in America though, Detroit, Chicago, and Philadelphia to name some big ones have huge hockey fanbases. Hockey will never die in these areas.

I don't see the death of hockey ... not in my lifetime... but I DO see contractions happening. The NHL has way too many teams. Columbus? Really? The NHL could lose 4 teams easy.

Enough of that, I'm pumped for the playoffs. Obviously rooting for the Canucks in the west but if not the canucks, I see the Ducks making it out. East...Boston! If Crosby returns, then the Pens. Hell, even without Crosby, I'm guessing it's the Pens or Bruins.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 10:21am
Originally posted by bugsbunnymydad

The popularity of hockey is suspect in some areas... but the fanbase is diehard in just as many areas. I don't think I need to mention Canada. Heck, Vancouver (where I'm from) has sold out every game for the last ... I don't know how many... seasons. Even in America though, Detroit, Chicago, and Philadelphia to name some big ones have huge hockey fanbases. Hockey will never die in these areas.

I don't see the death of hockey ... not in my lifetime... but I DO see contractions happening. The NHL has way too many teams. Columbus? Really? The NHL could lose 4 teams easy.

Enough of that, I'm pumped for the playoffs. Obviously rooting for the Canucks in the west but if not the canucks, I see the Ducks making it out. East...Boston! If Crosby returns, then the Pens. Hell, even without Crosby, I'm guessing it's the Pens or Bruins.

Bugs is right, there are certain teams that sell out no matter what the product on the ice is (Toronto) and other teams that can't fill the arena with good teams (Phoenix).  A contraction is not necessarily the only result, they just need to concentrate hockey where people actually want it.

Gary Bettman is the only one that wanted to drive the NHL to weird locations like Columbus, etc.  Everyone up here would like to see Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec City get franchises.  Hamilton would sell out every game, no matter what.  Why?  Because the normal fans can't afford $400 tickets to the Leafs games and Buffalo is too far.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by lightning80

have you seen the Canucks play in the playoffs? They don't have a team built for it.  Not my fault, blame Gillis

Bugs is right, there are certain teams that sell out no matter what the product on the ice is (Toronto) and other teams that can't fill the arena with good teams (Phoenix).  A contraction is not necessarily the only result, they just need to concentrate hockey where people actually want it.

Gary Bettman is the only one that wanted to drive the NHL to weird locations like Columbus, etc.  Everyone up here would like to see Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec City get franchises.  Hamilton would sell out every game, no matter what.  Why?  Because the normal fans can't afford $400 tickets to the Leafs games and Buffalo is too far.

I'd go with Hamilton, but Quebec and Winnipeg had teams and couldn't (didn't?) support them.  I can easily see Columbus, Phoenix, Florida (i think TB could make it if it was the only game in town), and Nashville could easily be taken out of the mix with little affect felt through the NHL.

But the counter argument is that the NHL has 3 teams in California that appear to be very healthy and part of a vibrant and budding hockey culture.  I played for what became the Jr. Sharks back in high school and there are still huge adult and kids leagues and the Tank is sold out 99 games out of 100.  Back when the Sharks came here, there wasn't much faith that they'd be here 20 years later, so there are a lot of intangibles, but I don't think CLB, PHX, FLA, NSH, WINN, or those damn Quebeckers have it. 
-zakk

kirkalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 11:32am
Still wish the stars had done better
RedLego View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote RedLego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 11:35am

They got a nice little rivalry going now, but I think the Canucks can pull it off this year. The blackhawks are not as good as they were last year.

rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 11:45am

have you seen the Canucks play in the playoffs? They don't have a team built for it.  Not my fault, blame Gillis

I'd go with Hamilton, but Quebec and Winnipeg had teams and couldn't (didn't?) support them.  I can easily see Columbus, Phoenix, Florida (i think TB could make it if it was the only game in town), and Nashville could easily be taken out of the mix with little affect felt through the NHL.

But the counter argument is that the NHL has 3 teams in California that appear to be very healthy and part of a vibrant and budding hockey culture.  I played for what became the Jr. Sharks back in high school and there are still huge adult and kids leagues and the Tank is sold out 99 games out of 100.  Back when the Sharks came here, there wasn't much faith that they'd be here 20 years later, so there are a lot of intangibles, but I don't think CLB, PHX, FLA, NSH, WINN, or those damn Quebeckers have it. 

There was tons of shit going on there, the buildings were close to full every night and the teams still left (only Bettman knows how it really went down).  The biggest issue was the canadian dollar was super low (cost around $1.50 to get $1 US).  

Canada could support 10 teams.  (the 6 they have now and then, a 2nd team in T.O., one in hamilton (both of these will be squashed by the leafs), quebec and Winnipeg). 
started by flossers making floss for flossers
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 12:41pm
Looking forward to watching all of the games that start this week.  i wanted to get tickets to the Pens Lightening games but they are selling really fast and don't really have tickets together, just random seats in the middle of sections.
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 1:09pm
Gotta give some credit to the Rangers, dont seem to be ANY rangers fans here. Hope they play spoiler to the cocky Caps.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 1:12pm
Zakk I have to disagree with you on the Ducks/Preds series. I think the Ducks are taking that one just based on pure momentum and Corey Perry
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 1:23pm

Zakk I have to disagree with you on the Ducks/Preds series. I think the Ducks are taking that one just based on pure momentum and Corey Perry

and when you have one goalie with vertigo and the other with a hip that will pop at any moment, do you really want Dan Ellis as the answer?

Rinne is better than most think and Boris Badenov is a hell of a coach. 

-zakk

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 5:33pm
I know it may not seem like it based on the attendance at games in some of these cities, but Columbus and Nashville are really big on hockey from youth on up so it makes sense as to why they were put there.

I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 5:35pm
ovechkin is finally back from his "break" go Caps!
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 7:13pm

Can't blame them... hawks have had the nucks' number the last 2 seasons in the playoffs. I know many fans were rooting for Dallas that last game...

But obviously HUGE difference this year. Vancouver has had a miracle season. 1st in goals per game, goals against, powerplay % and 3rd in penalty kill. And Chicago has lost a lot of their key guys from last season. They're a shell of their former selves. But chicago definitely has the mental edge... it'll be a close series. I say Vancouver in 6.

barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 7:25pm
I really wish the blackhawks hadn't made the playoffs.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 8:09pm
^ I agree with you.  They are a good team.    All and all, I am super stoked for this years playoff run. 

Good luck to all of your teams, may the best beard win. 
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 4:27am
Originally posted by barnyard

I really wish the blackhawks hadn't made the playoffs.

In about 2 weeks, most of British Colombia will feel that way too!

-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 8:11am
With Byfuglien off the team, I think the Canucks (and especially Luongo) can breathe a sigh of relief.  He was a beast and was a big part of that team last year.  Look at crazy numbers he put up on the D this year in Atlanta.  He was off to a ridiculous start to the season, like 1 pt per game.  I think he finished with over 20 goals too, which is remarkable for a defenseman.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 9:35am
Zakk, that's true. I wish Hiller was healthy and am really iffy on his recent comments he made where he seems to be afraid to play and has no confidence whatsoever. ray emery was doing so freakin' good when he got hurt. obviously ducks fans would rather have emery or hiller but ellis has been playing well and the ducks have alot of fire power offensively. i guess we'll just have to wait and see. good luck to your sharks-i hate the kings and have been waiting for the sharks to do something in the playoffs.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 11:13am

Zakk, that's true. I wish Hiller was healthy and am really iffy on his recent comments he made where he seems to be afraid to play and has no confidence whatsoever. ray emery was doing so freakin' good when he got hurt. obviously ducks fans would rather have emery or hiller but ellis has been playing well and the ducks have alot of fire power offensively. i guess we'll just have to wait and see. good luck to your sharks-i hate the kings and have been waiting for the sharks to do something in the playoffs.

bad news:
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/277699-emerys-playoff-availability-in-question?eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI

-zakk

Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 1:47pm
Anyone near the Pittsburgh area going to watch the games outside the stadium on the big screen???  I debated going, but it depends on the weather.  Its been rainy the past few days, so I think its going to be a little moist.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 4:11pm
not in the pittsburgh area but i'm pulling for the pens to do well without syd or malkin-such a bummer but they're still managing to play well.
wechter View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wechter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 6:31am
I love how pittsburgh does the outdoor viewing on a big screen.  I think that would be awesome to go watch outside if the weather was nice.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 7:18am

Faithful Followers of the Fin!  Rev. Zakk, who stands in good with The Lord Stanley our God, has dedicated this humble prayer to solicit the Grace and Divine Goodwill of our Lord Stanley.

amen. 
-zakk

zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 9:48am
first round starts tonight! can't wait!
going downtown tonight to watch the game and to rock the red

C-A-P-S! CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!

predictions for game 1:
Tampa
Phoenix
DC
Chi-town
Anaheim
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 9:52am
Predictions for tonight's games:

Detroit
Pittsburgh (kills me to pick them)
Washington
Vancouver
Anaheim
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 10:02am
Carebear...death of hockey, no way. I agree with the person who said contraction is inevitable (the same with the NBA too). It is definitely a fringe game whereas MLB and NFL have such a massive, deeply ingrained fanbase. Hockey is one of those sports that just can't get people to watch on tv but if you go to the games they're vibrant, packed and alive. The NHL f---in put teams in the most ridiculous places like Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Columbus-either hot cities that notoriously follow other sports or cities that are too small to support a pro sports team. It's sad, I miss Quebec, Hartford and Winnepeg.
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 2:21pm
Pens Bolts are just off the hook.  Smash plays and lots of shots!  Who doesn't love playoff hockey?!?  These guys are all ready to play and win!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 3:29am
Originally posted by ctoma

Predictions for tonight's games:

Detroit
Pittsburgh (kills me to pick them)
Washington
Vancouver
Anaheim

I got 4 out of 5 correct (wrong on the Nashville-Anaheim game).  

People do not believe it but Vancouver is for real this year, fo' sho'.

Tonight's picks:

Boston
Philadelphia
San Jose
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 4:14am
hahah i was 1/5 last night but it doesnt matter the game that matters is the one i got right! Caps were a bit jittery but semin got the game winner in the end, he could be a huge x-factor in the playoffs if he can keep scoring...next time i just hope they dont take it to OT that wore both teams out a lot

Tonight's picks:
Bruins
Sabres
Sharks
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 9:11am
It seems like the Bruins and Habs play every year.  Hopefully the B's take care of business.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 10:28am

Carebear...death of hockey, no way. I agree with the person who said contraction is inevitable (the same with the NBA too). It is definitely a fringe game whereas MLB and NFL have such a massive, deeply ingrained fanbase. Hockey is one of those sports that just can't get people to watch on tv but if you go to the games they're vibrant, packed and alive. The NHL f---in put teams in the most ridiculous places like Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Columbus-either hot cities that notoriously follow other sports or cities that are too small to support a pro sports team. It's sad, I miss Quebec, Hartford and Winnepeg.

I totally agree with you about the live aspect of the game, it's great, fast-paced action.  When I compare it to the baseball games I've been to it's no contest.  If any non-hockey fan were to go to one of the Boston/Montreal series they would be blown away by the intensity and pace of the game.  Can't wait to watch that game tonight by the way.

You know what I like about hockey the most?  The unpredictability of the playoffs, it's not like the NBA where it's almost written in stone for the first few rounds.  There are upsets every year in the first round of the NHL, look at the caps last year.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 10:34am
Ya, I love the unpredictability too. Baseball used to be really bad about knowing year in and year out who was going to take it but I have to admit it has been unpredictable too lately with teams like Tampa Bay, Texas, and a light hitting San Francisco doing well in the postseason. But ya, hockey is truely the best when it gets to the playoffs. Look at the Chicago-Vancouver series. I mean, most likely the Canucks will take it but there is a legitimate chance that Chicago could beat them. That would never happen in the NBA (with the exception of the year Golden St. beat Dallas in the first round). I'm looking forward to the Boston-Montreal series too and I'm really looking forward to the Sharks-Kings series (I'm from California so it's a big one out here).
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by grapeape2669

It seems like the Bruins and Habs play every year.  Hopefully the B's take care of business.

I am liking the Bruins in this series, a classic rivalry.
NewCastle4 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote NewCastle4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 12:20pm
Pittsburgh Penguins all the way!!!
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:07pm
The Flyers just got upset at HOME!  Shut out by Mr. Miller.  Just another amazing playoff game!
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2011 at 4:12am
Sharks win after yet another awesome goal by Mr. April Clutch, Joe Pavs.  
-zakk

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2011 at 4:35am
Originally posted by ctoma

Tonight's picks:

Boston
Philadelphia
San Jose

Crap, I was only 1 for 3 last night.

Ah well, on to tonight's predictions (my picks in bold):

Pittsburgh vs. Tampa Bay
Washington vs. NYR
Vancouver vs. Chicago
Anaheim vs. Nashville
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 54>