Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
balibesnier View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Proud Chilean

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Might as well close the international forum
    Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 12:46pm
now that sierrasnowboard is GONE and the house owns trusnow. Free international shipping on orders over 500usd is gone so pretty much 99% of the international customers will be gone too. Rest In Peace sierrasnowboard, best luck for the remaining staff.
zhenjie View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 2:09pm
Sierra had a large international community even before the free shipping and when brand restrictions were in place. You just needed to know how to purchase.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 6:40pm
haha, such a thread!

As zhenjie said, might as well keep doing what we were doing before the international benefits (which was HYPING the international side of the business and encouraging the company to recognise that helping us out means helping their business out). Those benefits we got only came in the last year remember and they were done through community members like yourself pointing out the potential benefits to the business of a strong happy and above all GROWING international community.

m00m
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 6:56pm
thats a stupid comment. its relative is it not? Do you see any of the other snowbaord site do free shipping to international ppl? no. If anything that only gave SS an advantage, now they just revert to par
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 7:36pm
lets not all get personal though :) The international community is definitely one of the unique things sierra had over its other big huge warehouse e-tailers. But it was questionable whether we really brough them a significant return for things like free shipping as a GROUP (individually of course i know we do whenever we buy 500 worth of stuff instead of 300 to get that free shipping). But we're still just a small drop in the ocean compared to their continental north american customer base.

Another problem is that the southern hemisphere are pretty much done now, so many of those customers just arent around and wont be again until around may or so next year so right now its not a huge priority. Come the end of the northern hemisphere's season though, you'll probably see more of the discussion coming towards us again. If youre an international N. Hemisphere customer and your season just ended that kinda sucks, but well, we are the minority.

The point is i guess at the moment, we are a pretty low priority. The top priority is obviously to rebuild the brand in the eyes of its main market, and of course to mark themselves out from other etailers when they cant just slash prices by 70% :) Its a bit of a mission and it will take a while before the dust settles and we all see if trusnow have a genuine future as an entity in itself or if it just ends up swallowed by the-house.

Sierra's death was a bit of a blow for us and its set back some of the progression for us, but well, i honestly think that so long as the community doesnt just think "screw this!" and has a bit of patience, when they start feeling they have a future in their main market, we'll start to see way more of the pie than we get at ANY other retailer out there. We are a genuine priority in the overall scheme and direction of things, but right now, at this moment the most important thing is trusnow staying afloat and showing active thingy that things can be done different from the house and still be successful.

However as far as brand restrictions go, suck it up, learn to proxy forward from ebay/craigs list or buy in your domestic market. Or better yet, show your support for companies that dont have them by purchasing their gear and riding it :) You have options. We dont all have to be on burton, lib, ride or K2. Theres hundreds of companies out there looking for your cash. Go support them :)
m00m
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 7:41pm
what is the purpose of this thread?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2010 at 7:44pm
for me to post really long posts in obviously :)

Possibly the same purpose as the "this gear sucks" or "shady practices". People want to vent about changes, so it makes a nice place for us to help explain those changes to them. At least thats how i hope its taken :)
m00m
catau View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2010 at 3:24am
Sierra is dead , sierra tried to make snowboarding a little more affordable for everyone. Put the free  international shipping aside if someone thinks a 2 year old 500$ board marked 30% down is a good deal for example ... that's the kind of horrendous prices will be at trusnow.

Let's face it , sierra is long gone :(.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2010 at 3:52am
Look man, we get it, but can you be a touch less melodramatic. You've come to the conclusion its no longer sierra. Well done, but i wish it would actually stick. Youre right! Its NOT sierra, youre NOT going to get 70% off, youre NOT going to get burton shipped outside the US by trusnow.
Those days are gone.

But this is now like the third or fourth thread where all youve done is focus on how rubbish it all is because its too expensive. Since you clearly care all about the price point, its quite simple for you: find other ways to get you your gear at the price you want, because chances are you wont be getting the price you think you should be paying here right now.

I would honestly rather you focus on the positive things: how about the fact that the stock you now have access to is about 8-10 times bigger. And its including brands you wouldnt have seen EVER AGAIN at sierra. Or how about the shipping seems to have stayed the same, or in some cases, even cheaper. I appreciate the 500 has gone, and for some - not me, i never bothered with it - that sucks (but maybe if you made the argument POSITIVELY that reinstationg it would be good for business and it may end up returning).

Also, how about the fact that members points still exist and you can still use them on a lot of boards? They arent 2011, but we knew that was coming anyway. It still means a 35% discount becomes a 44% one.

or how about that the reverse crew may actually one day see a follow up (though i dounbt for a while), still theres a LOT more companies available for collaborations compared to just 1 week ago. Thats definitely GOOD for us.

Or how about that the community is still here trying to help you make the right choices with the best info they can give you.

Theres still a lot of positive stuff, its not as good as it was (or as bad - sierra was on the way out to chapter 7 and liquidation before it was bought out), but its still way better than what you get elsewhere currently. If its not beating your domestic market, thats too bad, but it honestly means your domestic market wasnt that bad in the first place. :)

Also consider this, as international customers we have a much bigger voice here than we do anywhere else. It means we have much more chance of getting things changed here than anywhere else. But it will happen by showing hwo valuable to their business we are. Not by jumping from thread to thread saying "this sucks!" whilst failing to comprehend that right now theres not much can be done about it. They would LOVE to give us gear at 50%, but its just not so feasible at the moment. Pop back in march and stuff will start changing.
m00m
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2010 at 3:57am
The International part of the forum is not just for "international customers" its also for people looking for advice when traveling overseas, for people trying to meetup in various regions to go ride, or even for people of a similar/same nationality to speak together....

As far as not being able to ship certain items outside of the US, there are ways to order things and still recieve them outside of the US. For me its having things sent to my parents or my sister's or to a friends house in the US. I just usually have to wait a little bit until I travel back home to be able to pick my new stuff up. Other people have found other ways to do it, so I really dont think that THAT alone is reason to close this section.

mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 5:02am
i for one still value the information provided by international members.  The forum and the store is completely different.

The infromation I got from here for my trip to Chile was very valuable.  My next trip to Japan is also based on a lot of info from people here. 

Closing the international forum is just stupid.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 5:16am
^^
using forums for information

crazy thought i know but it does happen
Smile
Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 5:38am
What a silly thread... Even if you are ONLY looking at the sales part of Sierra, they still have the cheapest shipping discounts available. It's around $45 USD to ship bindings or a board to Japan. That's a great deal! Other e-tailers are shipping for around $90+

Yes, it's a little more expensive now but compared to other sites, it's still the best deal around. I bought half my new gear from Sierra this season and I'll be buying from Sierra again for my gear next season. Well...the non restricted brands anyway, I'll be buying my Burton stuff locally. Cry

And others have already talked about the other aspects of the international section of these forums.
CRAZYLAU View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by balibesnier

now that sierrasnowboard is GONE and the house owns trusnow. Free international shipping on orders over 500usd is gone so pretty much 99% of the international customers will be gone too. Rest In Peace sierrasnowboard, best luck for the remaining staff.

I'm Spanish, now it's much more difficult to buy something without the shipping free, this added to the less percent off+customs(+%20) = more price than the price on a local shop

It means that if you go to a local shop, by now, you'll find better prices than trusnow offers now adding all the costs

One 686 mannual brand new pant 2011 = €120
same pant in trusnow by now =$84/90+shipping+%20customs= 84+shipping+customs>$17= at least $102+shipping=????

WTF? in the end, it gets the same price as buying a new one in a local shop!!!
blurabit9511 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 12:14pm
wtheck? they said they wouldnt change anything?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 7:23pm
who said that? No one said any such thing. In fact they said over and over and over again things would change because they have to stick to vendor agreements.

Do i need to remind you that youre standing on the ashes of the last retailer that broke vendor agreements? :p

And crazylau, prices in teh EU compared to the US are not even bad. Its about $150 more for a $500 deck. I know, i went through a stack of sites comparing the price differences just the other week. Scale that down and there should honestly be no way in hell that softgoods costing 1/5th of that value should cost less here to ship and import into spain than it would if you bought them locally. It would be CRAZY if it did.
The only reason it did earlier this year, was because of a massive 50-70% sale from sierra.

But two things:

Firstly, those sales are gone. Vendor agreements dont allow for those kind of reductions (not all vendors mind you, but the ones you probably want (burton, k2/ride, mervin) wont).

Secondly: ITS THE START OF THE SEASON. I put this in capitals not to be a dick, but to make it very clear that there is a reason why you arent seeing 50% off 2011 gear right now. Prices only start to become competitive at the end of the season. BUT at the end of this season retailers will be following much more closely the contracted reduction timetables given to them from manufacturers. As i say Burton (et al) K2/Ride, and Mervin (glu/lib/roxy) are the most severe brands on imitations so you will see very marginal reductions on those lines, but that still gives you a stack of other brands which dont:

This includes palmer, signal, capita, rome, union, arbor, nitro, technine, stephcild and of course sierra just off the top of my head. All of these have no export restrictions, and your membership discount also applies on top of them. So if you find burton too expensive then go with one of these. Youll find a decent deck or gear nice and cheap.

As for the 686 pants. Now dont be daft. Its 2011 gear.

Even if they were reduced, youd still be hard pressed to get softgear cheaper here. When the 70% sales were going strong on sierra i remember trying to order a jacket. I forget what it was, but it was massively reduced. The funny thing was, shipping it to korea cost MORE than the jacket! (i think the jacket was $50 and the shipping was $80). Hell, go look at the free giveaway/events section, im pretty sure i posted/whined about it there.

Even when it was sierra, shipping and import duty (which actually gets calculated AFTER shipping) still sucked on soft goods to the point that it was rarely worth buying anything but hard goods here. The free shipping at $500 helped change that, but it still means if youre paying tax (as i am - 20% over $100), youre spending $500 and adding $100 in import tax to save $70 in shipping. Unless you need $500 worth of stuff, or your mates are piling in on your order, its just not worth it.

Still, if you are determined to save money, get about 6 or so items (or get your mates in on an order) and im pretty sure youll only see the shipping go up by only a small amount. Ordering just one set of pants is going to burn you EVEN at reduced prices. Ordering a LOT of stuff on the other hand is going to work out cheaper for you just because it spreads both the shipping and the duty over each item.

Still, it wont be THAT much of a saving at the end of the day. And really aside those 6 months (with 50-70% reductions, but nothing coming in to replace it), thats how it should be. If you scored a bargain in that period, congrats and count your lucky stars you were on this site when it happened, but it was a blip and it wont be happening again ANYWHERE in the near future.
m00m
dakitaki View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2010 at 12:53pm
that is very sad! I hope they will still keep the sales etc. 
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2010 at 6:24pm
Some peeps still can't see past the fact that they can't get Burton internationally, and cheap shipping went up by like $20, so they think that Sierra has "betrayed" them.

I've said it before, and I've said it again, paying full price (including paying for shipping) in the US is still cheaper than buying direct from a retailer here in AUS for those with enough sense to realise it.
Fullmetal View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2010 at 6:35pm
It is a shame about the $500 international shipping discount, but I don't think it will kill the international market. People will just need to pay more attention to what they are buying. I was looking forward to getting some 2011 gear with some free postage, but now i just need to look at adding the cost of postage into the price of what I buy. Even with the postage cost from Trusnow, I am still able to get a 2011 board and bindings for less then what I could get the board for in most Aussie shops. As for soft goods, i have still seen items here for less(including postage) than other online and local stores. Just shop around and you'll see you can still get a good deal.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 2:48pm
yeah i agree that buying things from sierra is still cheaper then getting it here in Aus.. even without the free shipping its still is cheap. And i think its vital to have international forum.. very helpful for those who wants to snowboard in other countries and know crap all... when i traveled to nz for the first time boarding i had no knowledge of travel and which parks to go to.. and i provide my info about some minor tips of being in aus or nz. There are still part of sierra that is still alive, and i still reconmend people to shop on here to save on bargins..thats what i think anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply