Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
1 Staff | 18 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 404,459 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders > East Coast Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Killington VT

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 7891011>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killington VT
    Posted: Jan/03/2012 at 6:32am
Originally posted by vinzo

yeah man, i was just up in Okemo and the conditions sucked. well the mtn wasnt so horrible buttt there was so much fog.

Most of Central and Southern VT experience an Inversion this past weekend.  This is where the air is colder on the Bottom of the mtn than the Top.  I know at K they were skiing above the clouds at one point, but the lower elevations were definitely foggy. 

A rare thing... consider yourself lucky to have experienced it while riding.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 7:38am
Aw man, that would have been sweet...
dangerzone9k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 6:09am
3 more days until I'm in Vermont snowboarding with 15 family members. Where all coming up from Northern VA. Getting my board bag packed!! Can't wait to board for 4 days.
iauwda View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iauwda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 6:19am
Just got back from killington and conditions were ok.  It started snowing a bit on sunday but stopped around 3pm.  Can still ride but there are still large ice patches going down k1
dangerzone9k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 5:19am
Killington is supposed to get 3-6 inches on Thursday and accuweather says its going to last 8 hours. Hopefully killington get more then 6 inches. Can't wait to board during MLK weekend.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 10:42am
Thanks for the update on possible snow....

I'll be getting up there late friday night and staying thru monday.

Maybe we'll cross paths.
muddog257 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote muddog257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 12:21pm
Like how is the mountain, is it anything like going to colorado and snowboarding. And what about the park, is it as good as what you would find at breck or keystone.
joeyp2003 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote joeyp2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 12:24pm
They just sent me another 2 for 1 ... ANYTIME use,thats pretty good.
Gno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 4:45pm
[QUOTE] Just got back from killington and conditions were ok. It started snowing a bit on sunday but stopped around 3pm. Can still ride but there are still large ice patches going down k1 [QUOTE]

Word, I was there last weekend too...Friday was nice, Saturday wasnt that great....couldnt believe all the ice that surfaced...still had a good time tho for what it was
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 10:46am
Heading up there in about 10 min....

Reports from the mountain said they got 8-10 in yesterday and another 8 expected between today and tonight.

Enjoy!
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 10:52am
Hopefully they did a lot better up there than down in Vegas. :( 
iauwda View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iauwda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:29pm
Damn I just came back from VT. Well enjoy to those that are there
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 6:48am
Great weekend at K.... 

K got 18" of total snow over the 2 days worth of storms.  Wind was blowing, but didn't take away from the quality of riding.  COLD as a MO FO all weekend.  Temps in single digits with wind chills going as low as -30 at times.  BUT, with the weather staying cold, the pow stayed light and rode like a dream.

K has the majority of their runs open now, and with that there is a MUCH better flow to the riding.  More lift options mean less lines, although key lifts still had larger than normal lines for MLK weekend (Gondi, Superstar, Sky Peak Express).  Best snow of the day was found on runs that you would least expect.  Upper Royal Flush, Upper Bunny Buster, Northstar and Vagabond (just to name a few).

ROTD was easily my first run.  I was on the 3rd gondola for the day, so it was fresh tracks everywhere I went.  I blew off the fiance for the day (no friends on a pow day) and rode with one other boarder.  Our Maiden run was Great Northern>Fis>Ridge Run>G. Northern Middle>Mouse Trap>Bunny Buster.  Fresh tracks on all except Mouse Trap where Ski Patrol had already popped that cherry.

Monday they closed access/lifts on Bear Mountain.  They claim it's to help push along the progress of the Dew tour Park and pipe... but if you ask me it's because Wildfire (upper and lower) are a complete Sh!t Show due to all the trail closings FOR the Dew tour. 

Good runs in the trees on Snowdon mtn... Both Low Rider and Patsy's had good coverage and very little use.  I expected little cover, but was pleasantly surprised as it's been way to long since I've been in the trees.

Dew tour starts Thursday.... I'll be heading up Friday.  Last year the event  had the mountain almost clear of people.... so i expect to ride both days, and watch the events early evening.

More on that next week....
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 11:10am
Looks like the skyeship express quad and bear mtn quad are both still down. Only really know what they are saying on the site, but should know a little more possibly by later today? Who knows...my father in law has been called to have questions run by him about the drive systems on those lifts. He is pretty much the go to guy for emerson electrical drives (pretty much the only drive used by rocky mountain conveyer) and as of last night there was a possibility they were going to have him come out in person and give a hand (lucky bastard would get to ski for free and stay on the slopes!) Not sure if they are going to do it though.

Either way I am really glad to hear about the 18inches that fell. How are the bases looking for the trees shift?

T minus 25 days....
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 11:26am
I'm surprised to hear that they are reaching out due to technical difficulties on the lifts.  The buzz around ski patrol and other K staff is they were shutting down to to excessive crowds on wildfire AND people poaching the Dew Tour trails..... I guess it's anyone's guess at this point.

The tree's are open, and all with pretty good cover.  I'll still put it out there that the tree's are in their "early season condition" but they are still VERY ridable.  I personally did Low Rider, patsy's and Squeeze Play.  There were good stashes of soft fluffy pow hidden here and there, with the rest a decent packed powder.  Seems all the wind over the last few days took the liberty to blow a good amount into the woods for us Glade riders.....

25 days from now, with any luck, the mountain will finally be where it should be.  And according to my watch... 25 days falls on Feb 11th.  Barring tragedy I'll be up for my last weekend before Breck that weekend..... If all goes well, I'll meet you at the Umbrella Bar at 1 for that beer.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 12:49pm
Word up dude. I figure the base in the trees will be fine by the time we come up...been dancing every night for tons of snow to crash the party up there now till we come, and really been dancing to the gods for a really good dump one of the days we are up there.

As for squeeze play, it's a cool run, but I seem to always go too far to the right and end up loosing too much speed/running into areas that aren't that thinned out branch wise. Seems to get tracked really fast too.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2012 at 6:04am
Latest Intel I have from my Ski Patrol and Instructor Buds on the hill are grim.

Seems some warmer weather moved thru yesterday.  Temps on the mountain reached the low 40s and some rain moved thru the area mid afternoon.

Word on the hill is now most everything is icy with a side of Boiler plate.

Great.....
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2012 at 6:07am
It is ICEY up here. I could literally go ice skating on my street.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2012 at 6:36am
Sounds like we faired a little bit better up here in the north, the upper part of the mountain didn't take much of a hit per a report I got this morning,but from mid down....well, I'll put it this way, if you have been thinking about putting new edges on your deck, now is probably a good time to find your file guide and diamond stone.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2012 at 3:21am
The Dew Tour gets underway today.... follow the link below for the event's schedule.

http://www.killington.com/winter/activities/dew_tour/schedule

Anyone heading up to check out the festivities? 
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 7:01am
We got two inches of snow, and then 2 hours of rain.  Cheers! (?)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Geez

We got two inches of snow, and then 2 hours of rain.  Cheers! (?)

Did it really turn to rain on the slopes?

If you want to watch the DT on TV, here are the times for the lazy people.

NBC Saturday, January 21 4:00-6:00 p.m.
NBCN Saturday, January 21 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m.
NBC Sunday, January 22 3:00-5:00 p.m.
NBCN Sunday, January 22 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m.
NBCN Monday, January 23 5:00-6:00 p.m.
NBCN Tuesday, January 24 5:00-6:00 p.m.

Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 2:21pm
I didnt see any signs of recent rain today.  There was probably 4 or 5 in total of fresh snow on most every part of the mountain.  Crowds were manageable probably due to the fact that so many people were congregating around the festivities of the Dew Tour over on Bear.

I rode from 8am up until about 3 when we headed over to get in on the Ski Superpipe finals.

Today I broke the cherry on my new NUG.  I was a bit leery of the hype at first, but after about 4 seconds on the snow i was sold.... I enjoyed that little rocketship so much it's taken over the spot of my "Favorite" board.  Fast, nimble, light.... it almost turns itself.  I went as hard as i could and never got it to flap or chatter...... (2012 NUG 152 Directional)

I started early in the area of Needles Eye... Cruise control was groomed and super fast.... great run.  Needles eye it's self was a bumpy icey mess..... From there over to Bear mountain.... then back across the peaks to play in the woods of Ramshead (squeeze play).

It's sad to report that the rain that did fall early last week did a number on what was in the trees, it's still pretty soft and ridable but it's a little thin.  Some debris peeking thru the snow.... Might wait for another halfway decent natural snow before I bother with them again.

ROTD is a toss up.... Either early morning Cruise control or Wildfire over on bear.  Both were wickedly fast and every time I wanted to turn, there was snow to turn on.  Both had a few icy patches as the day went on.... but this is the Ice Coast, so it's too be expected.

I hope to get a few more runs in tomorrow, but we have a good crew at the house tonight so i can almost bet that the beers will be flowing....
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 6:35am
Anybody check out the Winter Dew Challenge up in K-ton last night?  Looked like the conditions were rough
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 3:28am
Anyone that's not a mega football fan might want to find themselves at Killington for Superbowl weekend.

With New England and NY playing... the mountain is going to be a ghost town.
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 4:09am
Congrats on the Nug, Shift. I've heard nothing but great things about them.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 4:17am
Originally posted by tworunningcards

Congrats on the Nug, Shift. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Thanks man... Was a birthday gift from my lady.  I've had it since October, but with the horrendous start to the winter this was the first time I felt I could take it out without chewing it up!
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2012 at 7:43am
From looking at the webcams and some inside info from my buds up on the mountain... they really took a beating from the rains on Monday night.

Gotta love it... just when things start to shape up, we get a warm snap like this.....

sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2012 at 3:18pm
Hey if anyone is looking to stay somewhere really worth it at Killington stay at the Killington Grand. It is the best place to stay for sure! the have such a nice place the rooms are great, they have an out door heated pool and hot tubs, they have a sauna steam room and a fitness/weight room. Also there about 100 yards from the mountain. You get changed right inside and then can walk right out to the snowshed lifts it is literally a 1 min walk tops its awesome this place is the best i would highly recommend it. If you have any questions about the place and whats there just let me know.
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by sdip12

Hey if anyone is looking to stay somewhere really worth it at Killington stay at the Killington Grand. It is the best place to stay for sure! the have such a nice place the rooms are great, they have an out door heated pool and hot tubs, they have a sauna steam room and a fitness/weight room. Also there about 100 yards from the mountain. You get changed right inside and then can walk right out to the snowshed lifts it is literally a 1 min walk tops its awesome this place is the best i would highly recommend it. If you have any questions about the place and whats there just let me know.

What is the best way to get to timberline park from there?
Can you walk to Ramshead ?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by gunda pickle

What is the best way to get to timberline park from there?
Can you walk to Ramshead ?

You can walk to ramshead. Timeberline is about a 5 minute walk from the back door of the grand, to the main lift at ramshead. Take that lift and take a left off the lift. Timberline is just to skiers right and maybe a few hundred yards ride from the top of the lift.

I personally can't complain about the Grand. But that's probably because I never had to pay to stay there, my in-laws always pay the lodging for our yearly trip to k-town. Not bad gig, I know. Always stay in one of the penthouses (mtn facing has the most bad ass view/deck of any place I have ever stayed). But the grand is one of the most, if not most expensive place to stay in the area. Well, barring renting an entire house that is ski in ski out. If anyone is planning a trip there I would look somewhere else than the grand, unless money isn't that big of a deal for you then stay there. The outdoor pool and 2 hot tubs alone is farking awesome. Get to watch the groomers work all night, and drink outside. Breakfast there is pretty decent.

My point though, is there are tons of legit, good places to stay close to the slopes. Most even have access to the shuttle that goes from you hotel lot, to the bottom of (I think) two different bases. I am sure people that live closer to the area could chime in on good, reasonably priced places to stay. Or just insight from someone that stayed somewhere different from the Grand.
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 11:05am
I went up Thursday am and had blast.
The only draw back from the trip was they ended up closing the Mt. on Friday due to freezing rain and power outages. Hopefully, I can make it back up there before the season is done.
moonshadow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2012 at 8:26am
Heading to Killington for a day trip this Saturday. It looks like they might get a little snow on Saturday, so I am looking forward to some making some fresh tracks. :) I'll let trusnowers know the conditions when i get back. Super excited to head up there again!!! It has been such a snowless winter...
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2012 at 3:17am
I'm heading up tonight as well... plan to ride thru the storm on saturday.  Not tons of snow in the forecast but something is better than nothing.  I too will try my best to post about conditions when i wrap up for the day.....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Shift4200

I'm heading up tonight as well... plan to ride thru the storm on saturday.  Not tons of snow in the forecast but something is better than nothing.  I too will try my best to post about conditions when i wrap up for the day.....

Love how that "storm", didn't happen. It's crusty out here. Heading up for my first turns in a few minutes. Quoting the sister-in-law it is "ass ripping-ly cold". Not really anything new on the forecast, but at least it looks like it might warm up a tad mid week. I have a feeling this is going to be a bar, and hot tub heavy trip. Stern Smile
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 4:16am
Oh, and here is a little screen shot of the conditions today tomorrow.  A little windy? LOL

Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 4:17am
Agreed... it was painful on Saturday.  Crud on Crust is the best way i can describe it...

Good luck out there... layer up.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 5:10am
I thought early Saturday morning was pretty fun. Not too cold and the snow was pretty soft until 11ish. Yesterday was just brutal. I rarely get cold, and I was cold.
jdude1357114 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jdude1357114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2012 at 6:53am
I've never been up there but heard lots of good things. I really want to go.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2012 at 8:54am
Okay...lets try this again, and hope that I don't delete my entire post...again. Ouch

Trip Report for Feb.10-Feb.18:

Friday, Feb.10: Left Columbus to drive to Buffalo. Decided to break up the drive and stay with the in-laws Friday night, then to VT. Saturday. Hit a little lake effect on the way. Nothing major, nothing exciting, but wanted to put this into the TR as I came across something kind of disturbing at a rest stop just before the PA/OH boarder. Walked in, took a piss, went to the sink to wash my hands and found this sitting on the sink. I have never left a rest stop so fast in my life...LOL

Got to Buffalo, had some beers with the in-laws, and went to bed way too late.

Saturday, Feb.11: Woke up at the ass crack of dawn, after about 4 hours of sleep, and found a few inches fell over night (close to 3 inches). I always say if I have to wake up before 7, there better be snow on the ground.

Hit the road around 8, and it was snowing and blowing pretty good for the first hour of the drive. On the 290 out of town a pickup with trailer merging in front of us jack knifed, almost took us out, slid into the berm, and somehow managed to save it and get back into the lane like a boss. Best save I have ever seen in my life, happened a few feet from us, and in the matter of seconds.

Somewhere along the way we all decided (minus the driver) that it would be a good idea to crack some beers, and eat some shitty food. Stopped at a Wendy's, got some nuggets, the wife stole the container, I improvised.

In the 4 years of going to Vermont, I have never seen it so dry. The drive has never been so brown, so depressing, so sad.  One nice thing though was there was SOME snow on the ground in killington. Sure it was crusty, hard as hell, and dirty, but it's better than looking bare ground. Most of the drive looked like this...

Got into Killington around 3. We decided to come a day early so we could hang out with some friends up for the weekend from NYC. They are members of a time share just off the access road called "The Sugashack". Apparently it's been a decently popular party house since the 80's. Tradition lives on today..I assure you LOL. The place is pretty big. 10 rooms, 25 beds, 4 baths, 2 living rooms, huge decks, and a massive bar area with a fully stocked bar, 2 keg-a-rators and a jagermeister machine. Oh did I mention a glow in the dark bubble machine? Hahah...side note, the hoodie I wore that night got totally thrashed by the glow in the dark bubble solution. Picture of the Sugashack, front view.

We all went out to a place called "The Grist Mill" for dinner and drinks. I have been there before, and it's a pretty fancy place, but the bar side is pretty laid back, and you can get full food service on that side. If anyone goes, I totally recommend staying on the bar side. Had some decent calamari, and a lobster mac and cheese. On another side note...that stuff doesn't feel so great coming back up if you get hamma' drunk. Hahah.. 

Back to the shack for more drinks, and all around debotury. Our friend Jarrod and his girlfriend Holly decided they wanted to give me a bubble beard. They wouldn't take no for an answer.

We proceeded to drink the night, and morning away. I think my mother in-law had a few too many.

Sunday, Feb.12: I had big plans for today. Get up, eat some food, go ride and meet up with Shift4200. Unfortunately those plans fell through. It was a mix of a few different things. It was cold. Like...really, really cold. Windy as hell. Reports of massive amounts of ice. I was hungover, non of my group wanted to go out. I was still wanting to go meet up with shift, wanted to put a face to the  person I had been talking to for almost a year. He took off early, it just all fell through. Shit happens. Maybe next time mate!

Went for a late brunch at a place called Wally's on the access road. I HIGHLY recommend going there for breakfast. Best eggs Benedict of my life. They make really good screwdrivers too. 100% fresh squeezed OJ topped with some vodka served in a tall glass. Dollar beers too. Great way to nurse off a hangover.

By now it was already 3:30, so we headed over to the hotel (Killington Grand) to see if we could check in. No go on that one, but we did have valid keys for the spa. Went to go sit in some outdoor hot tubs and pool for a while. It was so cold that the steam from the hot tub was freezing into our hair. Soaked around in the tubs till around 6, then checked into the rooms, unloaded gear and waxed some of my friends boards.

We went out to the Wobbly Barn for dinner. I love that place. Although...I am not too impressed that they raised their prices...again. Had a fillet, and King crab legs. Damn good. While the place is pretty damn expensive, I feel it is worth a trip there every year we go. Never been let down. The soup and salad bar is top notch. While it seems weird to rave about a salad bar, just trust me that it's worth it. Literally can get anything on a salad that you want. Had one of the weirdest dressings, a wasabi and cucumber dressing, but it was amazing. Nice and spicy, but a little sweet and just worked well. Wanted to go back for round two, but I had a feast on the way and didn't want to fill up. The wife got a 2 1/2 lbs lobster. Thing was done really well, and looked amazing.

Monday, Feb.13: Decided to sleep in and get a slightly later start to the day, to try and let the temps warm up and let the sun work a little magic on all the ice I had been hearing about. While it did warm up a little (got up to about 17 at the base, and 10 at the peak) it was a little dicey out there. They were blowing snow on a bunch of trails we wanted to ride, and I am not the biggest fan of riding under the guns. Rode for a few hours, but called it a day early, around 1:30 and went back to soak in the tubs and drink many a beer.
Sun poked out for a little bit...

Went to Casey's Caboose for dinner. Shift was telling me he has been let down lately with them, and have to agree slightly with that statement. Service was..okay, but the food was pretty damn good. Not "wow you" good, as it has been in the past for us, but still good. I got a crazy meal of ribeye, lump crab, lobster, some nicely done shrimp, and some amazing grilled asparagus.

Tuesday, Feb.14: Once again decided to make a late start (hit first lift around 11) to, once again wait for temps to rise, and it was a good choice. It was a good day. Groomers did a great job tilling up some of the ice, and the snow makers laid down a decent layer over the ice. Temps were in the mid teens, low 20's. Nothing real exciting to say about Tuesday, other than it was a fast, race everyone down the hill, hard lay down carve kind of day. For a shitty season of no snow, and almost 100% man made, it was about as good as it gets (well, other than Wednesday, but I'll get to that soon).

We decided to actually use the kitchen that comes with the penthouse and cooked up some chilli and Chicken Wing Dip. Stayed in for the night and just hungout, sat in the pool, baked out the sauna in our room. It was a Good night. 

Wednesday, Feb.15: Snow makers were out in full force the night before, and conditions were pretty great. Flat light day though, and was having a hard time bombing trails and seeing definition of the slope. The wife, another member of our group, and I decided to lap the Timberline Park over on Ramshead. While it is a beginner park they had some nice features set up...and lets be honest, non of us are the strongest park riders. Getting to old and fat these days, so the nice 10-20 ft tables, and casual rails were perfect for us. They had 30 features in that park, including some nice down boxes, some street style kinks, a step up picnic table style box, and a decent 1/4 pipe. I was a little sad to see the 1/4 was a side hit, rather than a straight hit quarter. None the less it was fun. Icy walls though so you really had to be on your game as to not wash out. After a few laps I was feeling a little more confident (really was the first time back in a park since last season) and totally washed out on a rail, and fell HARD on my ass. The landing was pure ice...pretty much ended my day.

I am pretty bummed that the pictures we took with our decent point and shoot, never saved to the SD card. I guess that's what you get when you use a 5 year old camera that has seen about 10 canoe trips, many ski trips, and has had a few beers spilled on it. The wife and friend did get a few "decent" distant shots of me in the park. Nothing fancy though, and the one time I bombed the big table with a tweaked out method was shot with the point and shoot Disapprove. The only really satisfying trick never got captured. Anyways, here were a few winners for the day.

The windows were down, it was cold. I decided to roll them up Tongue

Little tail press on a little 10 footer flat box

Alley oop on the 1/4 had a brief indy on it, but as I said..shooting with an iphone from far away isn't the best way LOL

Annnd the rail that helped cut my day short. I realized I'm too fat to land rails wrong hahaha. I also managed to grind down my heel edge pretty well too. There is now a 1/2 inch divot cleanly shaved into the edge. Looks to be a real easy fix though.

For food we went to a place called "The Garlic". More of an Italian fare, reasonably priced, good drinks. It was also pretty cool that they have a Tapas menu. Super cheap if you want to go that route and just have a few drinks. You could get away with only dropping 20 there, get a good buzz, and not be hungry when you walk out the door. It was my first time going there and will definitely go back. I would suggest any of the pasta dishes, and their white sauces are top notch.

Back at the hotel two friends drove in and met up with us just after dinner. Just hung out in the room all night. Around 10:30 we hear a knock, open the door, and a security guard is out there telling us he has complaints about us being loud, and that we need to knock it off and be more quiet. Really got a rude feeling from the guy, and I can honestly say I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he just came off as an ass. Really, we weren't being that loud. Sure we had a little music going, but it was being played on one of those ipod dock stations (a cheap on at that), and not turned up, and we were having a good time...but not yelling. The room is huge as we stayed in the penthouse. The amount of dead space on each side of us was the size of two regular rooms. We weren't stomping around.

What ever though. It was funny as shit to see my father in-law walk to the door drunk and go "You have to be shtooking kidding me.....you HAVE to be shtooking kidding me. Man, we have been staying here for 19 years, we are not being loud. Whoever called us in can shtook off!" LOL

Thursday, Feb.16:
Woke up sore. That fall the day before really got to my back. Well, that and a mix of drinking too much. Went out late, the rest of my group was already out. Hung out at the Skyeship Gondola mid-station for a bit trying to call them. Random dude who worked at Pico (it was his day off though) walked up and asked for a cig. I gave him one, we chatted for a bit then he asked if I wanted to ride up with him. I agreed. Thought I might get better reception up top. He starts walking past everyone in line, telling me to hurry up then he says something to the guy working the line. We walk up to an empty gondola and the guy working the line makes sure no one else gets in with us. Thought that was weird. The door closes and kid asks if I would mind if he smoked on the way up. Told him I don't care and he pulls out a joint and sparks it.   Shocked Didn't partake as I normally don't like to smoke and ride, some times it's cool but not when I want to bomb, but caught a little buzz on the ride up.

Get to the top, we part ways (super nice kid) and I finally get a call from the friends. We meet up and ride for a few more hours. Nothing special, nothing fancy, just hit some groomers. Conditions were better thurs. but was just getting bored of the same groomer runs (about 40 trails were closed all week) and my back was still bothering me.

Perfect picture of how flat the light was that day.

Went to bear lodge, had some end of the day beers, and sat around waiting for some brave soul to hit the super icy pipe. Few people tried, even more failed.

Just as we started heading back to the room some flakes started falling. Pretty good touch to the end of the day. Went to the tub, as usual. Got to use the piss out of that while you have it, right? Just before we left for dinner the flakes picked up. They were calling for 3-5/3-6 inches depending on who you talked to.

Went out to Charity's for dinner. Had the Prime and seared sea scallops. No picture, to worried about eating. Really, really good. They have raised the prices a little from last year, but only about 1 to 3 dollars an item. Still decently priced. Got a 12oz prime, with 4 okay sized scallops for 26 bucks.

Had one of the best beers in my life though. Paid 11 bucks for a 750 that was 8.2%. Had active yeast in it so it might of been a touch stronger than that.

Friday, Feb.17: Woke up early, trying to catch first chair. Didn't make it but was out by 9:40. Had to deal with my crazy sister in-law trying to have us take all her shit to her car. Big ordeal. It's a whole nother story that started at the beginning of the week...don't even want to get into it right now. Too stoopid. LOL

Got about 2 inches over night, and maybe an inch in the morning. It was cloudy when we got in the lift line, and as soon as we got on it started puking. Just dumping.

The lift that is within walking distance of the hotel is on a few peaks from the "canyon" where we wanted to go. Had to traverse over for a bit, but wasn't bad. The runs in the canyon were amazing. Wind blown, about 4 to 6 inches depending if you were in the middle, or on the sides. Had a few good slashes, one full facial, and only ate it once. It was a little steep for this out of shape Ohio rider. LOL

Best run of the day was a trail called "East fall" Upper is a blue, lower a single black. Decently steep, fun to ride, curves a little. Lapped that for most the morning.
I approve.

A little look down the run. The right side was just stacked with wind blown snow, and over spray from other tracks.
Sun started poking out too.

Pose of the day, as the sun really started to make it's presence felt.

And that is it. Good riding that day, and honestly for the winter they have had to deal with up in VT, riding was good for most the week. It's amazing what you can do when you have a multi million dollar budget to work with for your conditions.

I like killington, I might go as far as to say I love the place..but there are defiantly problems with the place. While they have some really great runs, some sweet cruisers, and a nice set of parks, there are far too many traversing trails. And most of those cut through some great, but steep runs, so you are forced to cat track across a field of fast moving riders and skiers. Just not the best lay out. Also, I feel there is a serious lack of intermediate trails. Sure it all comes down to each persons skill level, but I feel I am a decent rider, and my wife is a really strong skier, but just comparing the number of blacks they have, to blue, it's pretty unbalanced.

Anyways, that just comes down to my own ability, so to each their own. Not sure how many people will read the whole thing, seems pretty long to me, but I like to type. Hope ya enjoyed my sub par condition week long trip.

Now, get out there and ride! 

vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 9:59am
For anyone interested in a good deal at K-Mart, this was just posted on their website and starts next week.

4-Play Pass

Killington Resort in the spring is packed full of great events, warmer temps, soft snow and tons of sunshine, and this year we’re making it even better with the 4-Play Pass! Get 4 days of skiing and riding at The Beast for less than $50 a day.

• $199, pre-loaded pass with four lift tickets
  • Pass is valid starting February 27
  • Only one ticket per day can be used
  • Pass is non-transferable and direct-to-lift, just like a season pass
  • Pass is valid for all ages

Plus, once you’ve purchased your 4-Play Pass and used your four days of discounted skiing and riding, you can reload your card with more $49 lift tickets either on Killington’s E-Store or at any open ticket window!

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by vandi518

For anyone interested in a good deal at K-Mart, this was just posted on their website and starts next week.

4-Play Pass

Killington Resort in the spring is packed full of great events, warmer temps, soft snow and tons of sunshine, and this year we’re making it even better with the 4-Play Pass! Get 4 days of skiing and riding at The Beast for less than $50 a day.

• $199, pre-loaded pass with four lift tickets
  • Pass is valid starting February 27
  • Only one ticket per day can be used
  • Pass is non-transferable and direct-to-lift, just like a season pass
  • Pass is valid for all ages

Plus, once you’ve purchased your 4-Play Pass and used your four days of discounted skiing and riding, you can reload your card with more $49 lift tickets either on Killington’s E-Store or at any open ticket window!

ILOLed at "warmer temps." Then I cried.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 10:20am
^^^Yeah, right!  This looks like a weekend you should be driving north based on the forecast.  Probably going to stick to the notch over the weekend but might be headed further north on Monday if you can swing a day off...hopefully, there will be plenty of leftovers if this storm actually produces.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 10:27am
I'm taking Friday off. If there is a good snow, I'll advise the boss I will not be in on Monday. I have a 2 for 1 Jay coupon that is burning a hole in my pocket.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 10:30am
PM
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 12:35pm
Winter storm warning for killy this weekend. 6-10 is what I have heard. Hope at least one of you are able to get out some where in the east! 
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 9:22am
Looks like you had a good time up at K bro.... Funny I know the kid with the Mo-Hawk.  We're not friends or anything, he's just the dude that always seems to be walking aournd the base lodge without a shirt on.... interesting guy.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 10:03am
good read, bmw...nice pics, too
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 10:06am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Winter storm warning for killy this weekend. 6-10 is what I have heard. Hope at least one of you are able to get out some where in the east! 

killi got 15 inches... any updates? shift did you get out there?
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 11:25am
No I did not... I just got back from my annual trip to Breck.  I wont be able to head back up to K for another week or so.  I'm trying to pull some strings to make it happen this weekend, but it doesn't look good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>