Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
0 Staff | 9 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 400,066 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders > East Coast Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Killington VT

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 56789 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killington VT
    Posted: Nov/16/2011 at 6:18am
I was thinking of heading up there this weekend. I love getting out there just too ride, but I get frustrated with the repetition and crowd after a while. We shall see...
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2011 at 6:25am
I'll be up soon enough, maybe next month, but more likely January.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2011 at 6:37am
I'm taking this weekend off, but will be there for the holiday.  I plan to ride for sure on Tday, and then hopefully more thru the weekend, depending on crowds.

Hoping to see some top to bottom riding before long.  Hey VTR any better news of weather on your local news?
joeyp2003 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote joeyp2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2011 at 6:12pm
Im getting up there saturday, gonna stay with my buddy at his place, we're not expecting much but it'll feel great to get out on the snow and relax at the condo after a long week and some hard fought traffic through hartford and springfield- cant wait. Hope the weather holds up for the snow makers
xtrememachinex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xtrememachinex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2011 at 6:17pm
I will be going up next thursday and staying till sunday afternoon. I'm staying at the Killington Grand Resort Hotel. I bought a 3night stay/ 3day lift ticket package. If anyone wants to meet up and snowboard hit me up!
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 3:34am
Judging by the view of the webcams, and the pics posted on Killington's Facebook, they are currently making snow top to bottom. From what I can tell they are blowing snow from the Peak, down Great Northern onto Snowdon Mountain.

A good friend of mine that is a ski instructor there says this terrain will be open for Thanksgiving weekend, but wouldn't count on it for the weekend before.

tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 4:08am
Originally posted by Shift4200

Judging by the view of the webcams, and the pics posted on Killington's Facebook, they are currently making snow top to bottom. From what I can tell they are blowing snow from the Peak, down Great Northern onto Snowdon Mountain.A good friend of mine that is a ski instructor there says this terrain will be open for Thanksgiving weekend, but wouldn't count on it for the weekend before.

Thanks for the update Shift! All good news.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 6:40am
Now Basin Ski Shop is starting the rumor of Top to bottom riding THIS weekend.... Click the link to see their daily snow report.

http://www.basinski.com/

**** EDIT ****

There will be no top to bottom at K this weekend... this just posted by Killington on their website.

Please note although we are making snow top-to-bottom in the Snowdon area, we will not be opening the trails top-to-bottom for skiing and riding at this time. Our intention is to provide a quality product to ski and ride on and the snow is not ready. Please do not ski or ride down the closed trails this weekend, Ski Patrol will clip tickets and take Season Passes and Express Cards.

vchang View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vchang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 5:01am
Does anyone know if beginner lessons will be given around mid-Dec.?
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 5:17am
Typically they have enough terrain open mid December to hold Beginner Lessons.  And if the temps keep staying low, you may even see it open sooner.  If you are planning a trip, I'd take the time to call them and get a professional opinion as to when they will start giving lessons.

I know that as soon as they lower elevation terrain can be opened that they will start having both group and one on one beginner lessons available.... it's all in mother natures hands.

***EDIT*** 

As of last night (November 21) Killington was making snow in the Ramshead learning area.  Look to have beginner terrain available for lessons soon...
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2011 at 4:05am
Heading up tonight... 2 to 4 inches in the forecast for tonight, another 3 to 5 thru the day tomorrow.

Should be a good weekend for some Holiday riding.... get there early, crowds will be insane.
vchang View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vchang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2011 at 10:36am
Thanks, Shift4200!

Hope it's cold enough for the snow to stick around.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2011 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by vchang

Thanks, Shift4200!

Hope it's cold enough for the snow to stick around.

A little stoke for all you killy kids before you head on to bed ( or maybe you already are and are waking up for first turns?)

http://www.killington.com/winter/multimedia/webcam/k-1.html

Here is hoping it sticks around for you all.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 3:25am
Killy is reporting 10 inches in the past 24hrs.
Stolen from their report....

"Killington received 10 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours and its still snowing! Thanks to Mother Nature and our dedicated snowmakers, we’re skiing and riding top to bottom down a section of Snowdon Mountain.

We’ll continue to make snow and expand terrain as long as the conditions permit. Killington is offering skiing and riding on advanced terrain only. No beginner terrain is available. Key lifts will open at 9:00 a.m. and last chair at the North Ridge Triple is at 3:30 p.m.

For Wednesday, skiers and riders will be cruising down 13 trail segments, which combined skis more like four trails. Plus, the early season Reason Terrain Park is open with six features."

Looks and sounds like some heavy stuff, but hey, it's November and you just got 10 inches. Go ride it!

Looks like it's still snowing too.....have fun out there kids!

http://www.killington.com/winter/multimedia/webcam/index.html
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 3:39am
It's pretty wet/heavy snow, but should be nice for a good base layer. Might go for a Thanksgiving Day skin if I can. Having to work blows.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 4:34am
Any snow is a great, keep it coming. I hope to get out Friday or Saturday for the first time this season.
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Quote yechiboarder770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 8:53am
Heading up in the wee morning hours from NYC. Can't wait, shredding, friends, and turkey sandwiches! yea for it!
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 7:38am
Snow was pretty awesome on Thanksgiving and the day before. 

On Wednesday we had 10in of fresh at our house in Pittsfield... about the same on the mtn.  It then continued to snow through the day on Wednesday making conditions as good as I've seen on a Thanksgiving. Add to that the fact that there was about a total of 50 people on the mountain... it made for a great day.

Thanksgiving was colder, with pretty gusty winds.... snow was still great as we were riding on 28 trails.  Even good ol' Northstar was open.... surprising as typically we dont see that trail open until late December.... if not later.  Crowds were a bit worse on the holiday, but still manageable.

Friday was warm.... 48 if my thermometer was accurate.  Crowds were ridiculous by 11am... sucking the fun from just about every part of the hill.  Saturday was warmer, and more crowded.....

I did a few quick runs on Sunday morning.... all, if not more, of the fresh snow is long gone.  The trail count was dropping, and the temp still rising.  By the time I left on Sunday, things were looking a bit ruff, but still ridable. 

I wont be going back for at least 2 weeks in hopes that colder temps settle in, and the snowmaking crew/ma nature has some time to fix the damage that the warm weather did to the mountain.
dway View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 7:49am
I'm impressed they have so many runs still open right now with temps where they are right now. Looks like they'll drop in the next couple days so there shouldn't be as much melt going on during the day.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 7:57am
^^

Melting during the day is the least of the worries in the short term...looks like everyone in the state who has anything open may be starting from scratch if this forecast holds true.  Hopefully the cold air moves in quicker and the changeover happens earlier.  Current temp in Burlington is 63 btw.

This is the mountain forecast for Killington at 3,600ft and it is similar for all of the other mountains I looked at today.

Tonight: Rain, mainly after 9pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Areas of fog after 11pm. Low around 34. Very windy, with a south wind between 45 and 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible. 

Wednesday: Rain and snow showers likely, mainly before 8am. Increasing clouds, with a temperature falling to around 32 by 4pm. Windy, with a south wind 29 to 32 mph decreasing to between 18 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected. 
dangerzone9k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 8:49am
I'm going to be in Vermont on Jan. 12 through 16th. Do do you guys think the weather will be like then. Will the whole mountain be open?
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by dangerzone9k

I'm going to be in Vermont on Jan. 12 through 16th. Do do you guys think the weather will be like then. Will the whole mountain be open?

Typically by that time Most of the mountain will be open, obviously depending on the weather.  If this year is anything like last year, expect mid January to be cold (20s), and windy.
insemnia View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote insemnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 9:49am
that's unbelieveable that they are open already.  I'm down by NYC, so I can't even imagine hitting the slopes this early.  Even on New Years Weekend, the local places are 'very limited' in slope access.
insemnia View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote insemnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 9:52am
Please keep us posted on the mountain conditions in Early December.  I might be willing to make the 4 hour trek, if half the mountain would be open.
vchang View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vchang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 9:55am
Looks like the weather isn't going to let the snow stay on the mountain this week. Hopefully next week will look colder and drier!
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 11:59am
Right now the weather isnt looking to promising to keep the snow this week. I just went up this past weekend and it was really warm up there and there was a lot of melting snow. It was like spring skiing. Everyone was pushing the snow into moggles Once this week is over and the rain has passed i think it is suppose to cool down and Killingotn will be able to make snow and keep it accumulating.
cronaldo7 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote cronaldo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 6:14pm
Luckyyyy we have gotten no snow in new York :(((
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 4:21am
Yeah man, I'm down in Philly.  Doubt we'll be able to see our breath until MLK day.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 6:43am
Colder temps are moving in tonight for a few days so the guns should be cranking again. More cold moves in again next week.
dway View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 8:18am
I think we need the winter equivalent of a rain dance. Walking around in short sleeves just isn't right this time of year.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by dway

I think we need the winter equivalent of a rain dance. Walking around in short sleeves just isn't right this time of year.
Sooo the snow dance.....
moonshadow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2011 at 5:34am
I am heading up there for Christmas for a long weekend and I am a little worried that there won't be that much open that that the lines will be crazy... anyone experience a less than stellar time there late December? I keep wishing for colder temps and snow but it looks like Killington is doomed to receive some more rain and warm temps this week. :(
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2011 at 3:40am
Originally posted by moonshadow

I am heading up there for Christmas for a long weekend and I am a little worried that there won't be that much open that that the lines will be crazy... anyone experience a less than stellar time there late December? I keep wishing for colder temps and snow but it looks like Killington is doomed to receive some more rain and warm temps this week. :(

I've been during both stellar and less than stellar times thru the whole season.  I'll be up there for the full xmas week, until Thursday when I change it up and head for Sugarloaf.

You can rest assured that even if it IS a stellar weekend at Killington the lines are going to be borderline insane.  The best way to zerg the crowd is to get in early, ride as much as you can, and then break for a LONG lunch.  Crowds will drop back off after 1pm.  By then the mountain will be pretty ski'd up, but if your just looking to dodge crowds, that's the game at K.

In my opinion I think there is little to no chance that we will see snow any further from K peak than Snowdon mtn.  Typically Bear mtn is the last to open, and this year is no exception.

Keep doing those snow dances..... Weather is turning around quickly... take a peek at the current NOAA forecast.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.61122246320031&lon=-72.82424926757812&site=btv&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2011 at 4:18am
This dude is spot on... get out for first tracks and push through until lunch.   After that, the mountain is pretty chewed up, but the crowds thin.
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 6:25am
i am going to killington hopefully this sun+mon woop woop
vchang View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vchang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2011 at 7:50am
Heading up next Thurs. - Sun.!! Hoping to stop by Pico first. Does anyone know their current condition? Thanks. 
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2011 at 7:58am
Originally posted by vchang

Heading up next Thurs. - Sun.!! Hoping to stop by Pico first. Does anyone know their current condition? Thanks. 

Pico is closed and has not announced a possible opening date.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:05am
Anyone riding at K this weekend?
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:52am
Man, I wish
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:56am

Anyone riding at K this weekend?

No...but I might be up there for the New Years weekend..you going to be around? I feel like you posted your plans a few days ago...but I just don't remember.
aggiee7 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aggiee7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 7:13pm
Was there last weekend- conditions were great from 8am till about noon. After that pretty choppy and icey but still fun riding. Lines weren't too bad but the mountain did get extremely crowded where their were 2 main intersections. Longest wait was 5-10 mins at the Gondola between 11-1

I believe two schools from PA and MD were up then so there were a TON of people learning on what Killington calls 'advanced terrain'

Going back up on Sunday- looks to be fairly good with the cold temps during the end of the week and guns on full blast. I think they are shooting to have something like 22-25 trails open with Skye Peak opening up and the bunny hill in from of Snowshed too.
elmwoodtim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote elmwoodtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 10:12pm
Hope to be up there this winter break, just wishing school is over
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:29am
Rode there the weekend of December 10th.  Good fast snow.  Icey in spots but manageable.

Crowds were easily the worst I've ever experienced at Killington.  Having such little terrain open, and several events going on there were times that it felt like traffic cops were needed at trail intersections.  I was talking to a Mountain Ambassador and he said with the Rail Jam, and 2 different age classes of racers... they estimated there to be around 5000 people at K skiing/riding on Saturday.  With only 20 or so trails open... well... you do the math.

BmW... I will at Sugarloaf for NYE weekend.  I opted for a Blackout pass this year in hopes to save a buck, and motivate myself to go to a few other mountains.  So, unfortunately, you're going to have to wait on that beer....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:41am

\

BmW... I will at Sugarloaf for NYE weekend.  I opted for a Blackout pass this year in hopes to save a buck, and motivate myself to go to a few other mountains.  So, unfortunately, you're going to have to wait on that beer....

It's cool man, like I said, I MIGHT be there NYE weekend. Either way, I am 100% going to be there mid Feb. Rooms booked...now the weather needs to get it's act in shape......

BTW, That sounds awful about the 5000 people, 20 "trails"...Dead
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:57am
Originally posted by batmanwest

\

It's cool man, like I said, I MIGHT be there NYE weekend. Either way, I am 100% going to be there mid Feb. Rooms booked...now the weather needs to get it's act in shape......

BTW, That sounds awful about the 5000 people, 20 "trails"...Dead

Awful is an understatement.  It was a mass of beginners on non beginner terrain.  I think i saw ski patrol sled down 30-40 people thru the day with injuries.  I rode as long as i could, but I finally gave up at 11am when they opened the Umbrella Bar.  Def do yourself the favor and check that out if you make it up.

On the flip side, it's been cold up there.... and with a few small dumps of natural snow, the mountain is really shaping up.  They opened the Skye peak on Sunday, and even more terrain today.

What are the dates you will be there in February?  I have a trip to Breck on Feb 18th to the 25th.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 4:06am
Our dates are Feb 12-17th. The wife and I are planning to either go up 2 days early, or stay 2 extra days at our friends house (the sugashack people..) Can't remember though, you normally don't ride during the week?

As for the umbrella bar, That will be the first place we stop for a drink on the first day. My in-laws are.....umm...well lets call them drinkers to be nice. LOL I kid.....I kid..they do love to drink though!
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 4:26am
I dont typically ride Midweek... but have a pretty good bank of Vaca time added up... maybe i can work something out were we can make some turns on Monday.  When we get closer, I'll see what I can pull off.

Umbrella bar was cool... they had both set up this time around.... it'll be better once they have the heat turned on....Confused
TrueBlueStar21 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
pbr pitcher with a straw, mmm so good

Quote TrueBlueStar21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:48pm
i gotta get up there, the "mountains" aka "slightly steep hills" in CT have no snow
vin.cent View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote vin.cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 6:54pm
might go up there this weekend
moonshadow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 6:33am
Heading to Killington for Christmas. I am anxious for some real snowfall. All i want for Christmas is SNOW! I hope they are nearing 50% of their trails being open by then - i hate the crowds that pile up... i guess the game plan will be get there for the first runs and then play it by ear once noon rolls around. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>