Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
0 Staff | 14 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 386,543 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders > East Coast Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Killington VT

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 678910 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dangerzone9k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killington VT
    Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 8:18am
I'm heading up on MLK weekend. All I want is a POW day when I get there! Right now only ~ 30 trails are opened... not enough for me.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 2:57am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Originally posted by Shift4200

Anyone riding at K this weekend?

No...but I might be up there for the New Years weekend..you going to be around? I feel like you posted your plans a few days ago...but I just don't remember.

Looks like a change in my NYE plans.... not enough snow to bother spending extra money on a hotel/lift tix at sugarloaf.  So, its looking like either NYE home in Providence, or staying at K until the 3rd..... I'll keep you posted.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 4:38am

Is it worth a trip up this weekend? What are the conditions like?

Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Geez

Is it worth a trip up this weekend? What are the conditions like?

I didnt make it up last weekend but had a handful of friends that did go.  They said it was "dust on crust" in most places.  Hard boiler plate ice with a thin layer of man made snow on top.  Most of the pass holders in my group took one or two runs and called it a day.   Was cold on sunday.... I'm hearing rumors of 3 degrees on Sunday... then add in the wind chill.

There's a few small snow storms in the forecast for this week.... keep your fingers crossed for some help from Ma Nature.
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 5:30am
i went up last week, and the condition were meh. atleast there was top to bottom ridding but not the best condition. i hate ice
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 6:43am
I was thinking of going up this weekend, but with these reports I think I'll hold off a little longer.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 6:59am
I'm heading up Wednesday night.... Some snow in the forecast for the weekend.  If I were you 2rc, I'd wait to make that call.

I'll be sure to post conditions on Thursday night when i get in from the hill.
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 7:03am
Thanks for the heads up Shift, but my friend is planning a trip and the spot probably won't be available at the end of the week. Fingers crossed.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 7:04am
Well... if anything else, I'd say go.  They do have the most terrain open in the east... and even tho it's not optimal conditions, it's still a great time.

Just sayin....
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 7:09am
Just spent way too much money this week though, so if the conditions aren't great I'd rather stay local for cheap and use the cash to hit up K in Jan.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 7:18am
I know all about the $$ issue... went to Walmart to get a "few last minute things" and ended up dropping almost 500$.  No fun... so good call on the staying local.  Sadly, if i HAD gone to K this weekend, it probably would have saved me a ton of cash.... Lol
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 8:56am
Haha, fair enough. I just dropped around 500 on new tires.
kyavo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kyavo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 7:37pm
yea i would love to go up there and ride. maybe next year
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 3:47am
Originally posted by kyavo

What's stopping you?
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 3:49am
Originally posted by tworunningcards

What's stopping you?

Haha.... Snow that's worth a dam?
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 3:55am

What's stopping you?

Haha, saying maybe next year I was thinking next season. There'll be plenty of snow "worth a damn" within a few weeks.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 4:12am

What's stopping you?

Haha, saying maybe next year I was thinking next season. There'll be plenty of snow "worth a damn" within a few weeks.

I've been saying that for a few weeks now... I truly hope you are right my friend.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 4:46am
+1, the conditions in New England are poor with lots of ice (much, much more than typical Northeast Ice). Unfortunately, it looks like rain is coming in Wed night to Thur which will turn everything into a skating rink. We need snow ....!!!
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 5:03am
Rain/snow mix at K tonight and tomorrow... then i hear rumor of a storm headed our way for Xmas Eve and Day.... keep doing those snow dances.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 5:05am
The weather is looking good till Jan. 2. Temperature will be the teens and perfect for snowmaking also its suppose to snow a couple of those days.
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 8:27am
a few buds and i plan on going jan 1st through the sixth, hoping k gets some snow and we wont be disappointed 
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 8:34am
im gonna be up in OKEMO for january 1st, doesnt look so good :(
SGT712 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote SGT712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 8:48am
Originally posted by vinzo

im gonna be up in OKEMO for january 1st, doesnt look so good :(

My friends were up there this past weekend and said it was crap.  Dirt everywhere.

Quiver: GNU Park Pickle 156
Stance: 15/-9, 24"
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 9:12am
wow okemo doesnt look like it has any snow
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 10:56am
^^most pathetic pic I've seen in a while.  You don't need a "rock" board for that...go a level lower to "grass" board
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 1:10pm
ummmmm..... how would one get back down to the lift???? o.O

walk?
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 4:21am
Best mountain biking run ever....
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 4:31am
if that is a photo of okemo this past weekend this is going to be a very sad new years lol looks like we will drink all our troubles away
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 6:21am
Originally posted by vinzo

if that is a photo of okemo this past weekend this is going to be a very sad new years lol looks like we will drink all our troubles away

Isn't that what new years is for anyway?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 5:13am
Killington is about to get 1-3 inches of snow... Damn I thought I would be more..smh
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 5:46am
Originally posted by dangerzone9k

Killington is about to get 1-3 inches of snow... Damn I thought I would be more..smh

Meh....take what you can get. At least it's cold enough to "snow".

So glad we booked our trip for February this year. 
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 1:39pm
Rode Killy today.... 4 to 5 in of fresh at the bottom, 6 or 7 at the top.  Continued to snow all day, with MAYBE another 2 inches of accumulation.

Good runs early, got piled up and crowded by noon.  ROTD was Great Northern>FIS>Mousetrap>Bunny Buster.  After attacking that several times it started to wear thin in places, and some of the wet slushy snow underneath started to show its ugly face. 

Best snow on the hill was on the upper mountain, Rime Reason and Upper East fall.  I lapped that until it was time for a recharge at the bar.

After a few coldies at Mahogany Ridge, I went back out to the superstar chair and lapped bittersweet and superstar a few times.... nothing exciting, but it was good to be on another peak.

Snow making was in full force on Skye Peak and in the Canyon.  Hoping to see runs like Escapade and Lower East fall in the next few days.... that will open up another way off of K peak, helping fix the BAD bottle neck problem they have going on right now.

Riding again tomorrow but with several "learners".  I imagine I'll get a few runs in on Superstar and bittersweet, but I would be willing to bet that I'll spend the majority of the day watching my fiance's relatives fall over and over..... Safety Meeting anyone?
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2011 at 9:10am
Awesome! I can't wait to get up there.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2011 at 11:13am
Just wrapped up for the day.... Started at 8am with a run down Great Northern to Mouse trap.  Was cold today, like, really cold... temp in the truck was 9 deg when we started. 

Snow was firm and crunchy, with a really solid base of ice.  The crowds were relatively small so what snow there was stayed on the hill longer than normal.  ROTD was Chute top to bottom.... natural ungroomed snow at the top, and groomed snow under the snowguns at the bottom.  Some ice patches, but to be expected when temps drop as low as they were.

Skye peak was a ghost town, with more ice than other runs.  Most of the runs over on Skye (that are open) are in the shade all day, so ice is typical after a thaw like we had on Wednesday. 

Overall it was fast and fun... with just enough snow to hold a good edge when you wanted it too.  Temps are supposed to stay low for the next few days.  They had full assault of snowmaking in the lower canyon and on some of the more popular open terrain.  With any luck they will have more terrain open for New Years weekend.... but expect all of the snow to be man made, as there is nothing natural in the local forecast.

If you are still on the fence for NYE, I'd say pack up and go... even tho there isn't as much terrain open as we all hope, what is open is fast, fun and has great coverage.  Mountain Photographers are out in full force, and i happened to find every one on the hill Big smile, so hopefully there will be a new profile pic in my near future!

Riding again on xmas morning, i'll be sure to post if i have time in between holiday festivities.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2011 at 11:47am
Home with the roast in the oven.  Rode from 9am until about 1:30 today.  Crowds were easily 10x the size they were last year.  Disappointing when we were hoping to have the hill to ourselves again.

Snow quality really hasn't changed much.  It was still really cold and the snow was crunchy and fast.  With temps staying down, more and more terrain is opening every day.  Today I noticed there was more on Ramshead, and in the Canyon.  Progress is slow, but it's progress.  I spoke with one of the snow making guys and he said that they hope to have Needles Eye terrain open mid week, and possibly a few trails over on Bear by the weekend.  Optimistic, but doable.... his words.

I see another thaw in the forecast on Tuesday... cross your fingers that it passes us by.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 5:26am
The forecast is looking great! I'm coming up to Killington on Jan. 12-16 with 15 family members. It looks like Killington is going to get 9 inches on Jan.3 and the should open up more trails. Hopefully there will be a POW day on MLK weekend!

moonshadow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 9:45am
just came back from killington - had a great time - avoid the dark side of the mountain - all ice! They are making a lot of snow and we had some inches fall when we were up there. Overall, with 40 trails open it was worth the trip.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by dangerzone9k

The forecast is looking great! I'm coming up to Killington on Jan. 12-16 with 15 family members. It looks like Killington is going to get 9 inches on Jan.3 and the should open up more trails. Hopefully there will be a POW day on MLK weekend!

Ermm I heard it was supposed to be more like 8.7 inches...but, seriously, quite a way off to be forecasting such a definite number
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 10:24am

Looks like a change in my NYE plans.... not enough snow to bother spending extra money on a hotel/lift tix at sugarloaf.  So, its looking like either NYE home in Providence, or staying at K until the 3rd..... I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, not going to make it now. Between being sick, and spending money on going to the doctor (my hometown where I got sick at didn't have a place open that took my insurance, so had to pay premium urgent care co-payAngry) it just isn't going to work out. Shame too, my day 1 keeps getting pushed back. Also looks like K is going to have lots of ample temps to blow snow, and get a few inches of real.
Although, the low for tomorrow night is 4. Will be interesting to see how everything rides after that ShockedOuch.

Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 12:54pm
Late opening for K tomorrow, 9am earliest.

***For Wednesday, December 28, we do not anticipate lifts opening until 9:00 a.m. due to weather related delays. Please check back to this conditions report for updates.***

PS Feel better batman
vchang View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vchang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2011 at 4:57am
Heading up Jan. 6th. Praying for snow!
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2011 at 7:39am
Looks like K is getting snow freshies today, not sure about for the 6th.

Webcam

I'll be up at Mt Snow this Sat.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 4:13am
Yea man! Killington got 10" of snow and now have 50 trails opened with 15 lifts. I'm pretty sure a lot more trails are going to open up!
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 6:29am
Im thinking about driving from the philadelphia suburbs to killington for a weekend trip with a few friends how much do u think its going to cost me to do a weekend trip?
ibkushman320 View Drop Down
Local
Local
NJ

Quote ibkushman320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 6:46am
i think if you buy online for a weekend it'll be like $150 for 2 days of riding, then just depends where you want to stay. i usually stay at the hillside inn cause it seems to be the cheapest (and i figure i'll be mostly at the mountain or the bar) so i dont really care about luxury. that said, the place is decent...i think it used to be a red roof inn...maybe like $100 a night depending when you go.
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 6:57am
Alright thats not to bad at all im definitely gonna have to make a trip up there. I appriciate the help thank you
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2012 at 3:44am

Webcam

Go figure.... i was there Friday Saturday and Sunday.  Impromptu trip.... gypsy style.  Was pretty good.... except for the rain Sat..... that wasnt so good.

Lesson learned....dont leave all of your boards and gear at the ski house.  Some pieces that i swore i'd never wear again came out of retirement.  And, for a guy that prefers rocker/hybrid.... rocking a Custom Camber was def not my weapon of choice for those conditions.
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2012 at 4:48am

Webcam

Go figure.... i was there Friday Saturday and Sunday.  Impromptu trip.... gypsy style.  Was pretty good.... except for the rain Sat..... that wasnt so good.Lesson learned....dont leave all of your boards and gear at the ski house.  Some pieces that i swore i'd never wear again came out of retirement.  And, for a guy that prefers rocker/hybrid.... rocking a Custom Camber was def not my weapon of choice for those conditions.

I ride camber anyway so it wasn't a big deal. I was only there for a day trip, left around 4:30pm.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dangerzone9k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2012 at 5:13am
10 more days and I'll be up there. The terrain isn't looking so good. And there's like no snow in the forecast!
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2012 at 5:38am
yeah man, i was just up in Okemo and the conditions sucked. well the mtn wasnt so horrible buttt there was so much fog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>