Snowboard Addiction

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <123

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowboard Addiction
    Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 10:22am
just curious, especially for the beginner vids, how does this compare to actual certified snowboard instructors?  

I've seen the beginner vids and it doesn't seem like you really need to know all that... seems like they are trying to make the vids longer?  I don't know, I never took lessons when I learned and I haven't been a beginner for 10 years.  

so, Are the beginner vids actually good for beginners? 
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 10:48am
yeah i think the beginner videos are good.  granted they are a bit long, you could skip some of the first few drills.  but their stuff on linking turns and etc are solid. 
dance like no one's watching
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 8:10am
I gotta say I watched 3 of the videos last night and they are top notch.  both hearing how its down while it is being demonstated (really well by the way) is super helpful.  I have it on my iPod so I can check it out on the lift and know what to work on. 

A top notch product and I'm really pleased with it!
-zakk

ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 8:15am
i've watched most of their tutorial vids and they are good. the drills seem helpful, a progression toward actually doing it. i haven't tried them yet but i will once i get up. that ipod thing is a good idea too
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote fini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by BboyTommy

yeah i think the beginner videos are good.  granted they are a bit long, you could skip some of the first few drills.  but their stuff on linking turns and etc are solid. 

longer is better! more for your money!

actually, it just means that they are going into a lot of detail. for a beginner rider (or a beginner of anything) really needs.
Callooom View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Callooom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 1:21am
yeah it helped alot for me i can tell you that, detailed is good when you have got NOOOO idea.
probo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote probo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 1:56am
even the half vid on the first page is really informative and i think will help loads.
aikiainuke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
fire-show

Quote aikiainuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 5:55am
This is very interesting and informative! I finally learned the name of a trick that I want to learn how to do)))I do not think this vid is only for beginners, this video will be useful for all
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 6:17am
Originally posted by aikiainuke

This is very interesting and informative! I finally learned the name of a trick that I want to learn how to do)))I do not think this vid is only for beginners, this video will be useful for all

I consider myself a fairly advance rider and just the little things are really making me think about what I'm doing.  my butters were pretty slow and just seeing some of the drills, I'm going to work on that this weekend.  I'd also 90 into them, but in the video they suggest just ground spinning into them, which I never even thought of, honestly. 

-zakk

Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 6:17am
It sounds like Kimchi and I are goin' halvsies on the digital copy of this pretty soon.  Perhaps I'll actually be able to make it past the halfway point this year without getting bored again.  You can only have so much fun when your bag of tricks is the size of a ziploc sandwich baggy.
http://thench.com/garage/
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 6:22am
Originally posted by zakk

I consider myself a fairly advance rider and just the little things are really making me think about what I'm doing.  my butters were pretty slow and just seeing some of the drills, I'm going to work on that this weekend.  I'd also 90 into them, but in the video they suggest just ground spinning into them, which I never even thought of, honestly. 

In your own opinion, do you think being able to actually "butter", as in sliding sideways on your board on the snow (as opposed to just a straight nose wheelie/manual), is directly linked to your ability to boardslide?  Cuz I suck at both, and would very much enjoy being able to do both.  Also, how do you spin a complete circle on one tip of the board, while sliding down hill?  I can make it most of the way around, but eventually I'll dig an edge in.

Another thing I think would be sweet to do is something I've seen a lot more of recently.  It almost looks like the rider does a barrel roll style flip, but you drag your hand over the top of the jump.  It's almost like a moving handplant.  Anybody smell what I'm steppin' in here?  Feel free to post a video or explain how ya do it.  Thanks!
http://thench.com/garage/
CateyeRR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My CBR

Quote CateyeRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 7:01am
Code sadd395 isn't working anymore, boo. I'll hold off until there's another code working.
Magicweed3 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Magicweed3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

In your own opinion, do you think being able to actually "butter", as in sliding sideways on your board on the snow (as opposed to just a straight nose wheelie/manual), is directly linked to your ability to boardslide?  Cuz I suck at both, and would very much enjoy being able to do both.  Also, how do you spin a complete circle on one tip of the board, while sliding down hill?  I can make it most of the way around, but eventually I'll dig an edge in.

Another thing I think would be sweet to do is something I've seen a lot more of recently.  It almost looks like the rider does a barrel roll style flip, but you drag your hand over the top of the jump.  It's almost like a moving handplant.  Anybody smell what I'm steppin' in here?  Feel free to post a video or explain how ya do it.  Thanks!

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll put my two cents in here anyway.
I feel like boardslides and butters are two different things, that appear to be similar. When buttering, I try to manipulate the board, such that the uphill edge and middle of the board contact the snow on the foot I'm pressing with. Then I manipulate the end of the board in the air so that its flexed in the direction I want to rotate, basically twisting the ends in opposition. Once the air end of the board starts rotating uphill, I release the twist so the board is flatter and lessens the chance of catching an edge, and then one the air end is pointed up the hill, I twist it again in the downhill direction. This adds to the speed of the spin all the while you keep the uphill edge and middle of the board as your contact points with the press foot.

I just read what I wrote and it sounds super complicated, but think of it this way. Your press foot is a platter that you want to keep flat against the surface (or close to flat, maybe slightly uphill) and the end it the air is like pushing your friend on a swing. You don't push when they're coming at you, you push when they're coming back down. Let the air end rotate up hill, and then add the twist to the downhill rotation to gain speed (using the natural momentum to help).
Magicweed3 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Magicweed3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 7:08am
On a boardslide you want to focus on landing square to the rail/box with your weight even front to back, if not slightly forward. If you approach riding regular, ollie/jump onto the box, and then land on the box, your body will naturally rotate you to a switch dismount. If you want to land regular, you need to rotate your body and hold in the direction opposite the direction you rotate the board. When you dismount, release your core and the board will snap back to regular and your upper body will align with it. I'd practice both ways, regular to regular, and regular to switch on smaller boxes and then go from there. Work in skate style approach too, but start with a straight on approach until you get a solid "stomp" landing on the box. If you hike a box for an hour, you should make some really good progress.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 7:10am
I really want to work on my Butters this season.  All the videos are a great source of information to at least give you an idea of what you may need to do to accomplish new goals.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Aos View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Aos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 7:25am
Looks like Doug has some competition. 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 7:36am
check these guys out.  i got the program last winter (unfortunatly at the end) and i've already learned a lot from it.  it's so in depth.  worth the $Tongue
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote fini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Aos

Looks like Doug has some competition. 

Except Doug's videos are provided to the community for FREE !
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2010 at 9:56am
Just caved and bought it. I figured I might as well give it a shot as I will be snowboarding the next week. Will post thoughts soon
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
tangles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 12:06pm
I just bought it just last week so far im pretty happy has some good reading as well very informative even to intemediates
tmagee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
bess friends <3

Quote tmagee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 3:52pm
Snowboarding is my crack.

No doubt about it.
[blonde boarder]
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 6:50pm
the whole thing is definitely worth it, i say try to get a buddy to split the cost with you.  but its definitely helping me progress
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote fini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 2:48am
new video is out!
Riding Pow.

about 10 minutes long, and pretty cool.
talks about the differences between riding groomed and pow, stance, position, etc
jason on the slope View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jason on the slope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 5:16am
i think im heading down this path. -____- \m/
<3 snowboarding
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Quote snow4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 5:22am
snowboarding makes me more calm. makes me not think about thinks and empty's my mind.
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

being sideways on a snowboard is different and with a butter it's TOTALLY different than a boardslide (which I'm not very good at)

I usually 90 into a butter, it just works better for me. edge control is key, I can't do it as fast as the video shows, but "rolling" from edge to edge is the key, methinks

on a boardslide, I execute the move on the box, I'm not confident enough yet to ollie onto it. 
-zakk

McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote McNack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 6:18am
+1, the way SA breaks the drills down is pretty good. Buttering is a great example. Anything I could do last season was pretty much a poor attempt at me hucking myself over the nose, popping, and trying to spin something....not stylish, coordinated or cool, but I thought thats how you are supposed to learn buttering...it was really frustrating.

The progression in the intro video is awesome, pressing on land, on the hill, hoping into presses and ollie/nolling into presses. After spending literally only an hour in the back yard focusing on these...next time I went to the hill I was really impressed with how applicable the drills were...I was doing nose rolls my first day back on the mountain. So stoked.

It takes effort of course, but I just keep getting more and more satisfied with my purchase.

richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 4:34am
After years of never paying for software, games or operating systems, I feel sad that this is not available on the torrents.

/just saying!

/super cheap  LOL
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 4:39am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

After years of never paying for software, games or operating systems, I feel sad that this is not available on the torrents.

/just saying!

/super cheap  LOL
dude, i'm as broke as they come and i'm all about free shiz too, but, these guys really did put together a great program.  it's worth the $ as you won't find the hours worth of lessons they offer that cheap anywhere.  once and a while they put the program on sale for like $35, split it with a bud.  i paid for the digital downloads (which is cool because you get a year of updates w/ it) and couldn't be happier with it.  there's so much i've learned and i haven't even watched all the tuuts yet.   go to their website and check out the free spinning lesson to get a taste of what SA is up to. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 4:53am
I actually did watch a few of their videos and I find them to be of excellent quality, best of the best.  I'm just so not used to paying for this stuff that I find it difficult haha.  It's like running through mud or something for me.  Maybe I'll ask my buddy to go in with me

Originally posted by snowj420

Originally posted by richardvoyageur

/just saying!

/super cheap  LOL
dude, i'm as broke as they come and i'm all about free shiz too, but, these guys really did put together a great program.  it's worth the $ as you won't find the hours worth of lessons they offer that cheap anywhere.  once and a while they put the program on sale for like $35, split it with a bud.  i paid for the digital downloads (which is cool because you get a year of updates w/ it) and couldn't be happier with it.  there's so much i've learned and i haven't even watched all the tuuts yet.   go to their website and check out the free spinning lesson to get a taste of what SA is up to. 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 10:55am
i hear ya manWink
Gumpster94 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gumpster94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 2:51pm
Cool 10% off. Thanks a lot. Checked out the video link and snowboard addiction seems pretty cool.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 8:58pm
  the instructions are great! all the questions i use to have about buttering vs boardsliding are answered.  for the first hour after buying the videos and watching it, i was blown away at the amount of knowledge and tips he revealed that i would probably never have figured out on my own.

if youre always wondering how guys do this trick and that trick, then this is the program.  in 2 weeks of owning the vid, my trick bag went from 5050s and boardslides to nose/tail presses and shifties off the jumps. 
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Epicentre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 9:09pm
They had a 30% or 40% sale I can't remember but I bought it during then a month ago and their videos are really good.  They really explain counter rotation and the complete mechanics of tricks.  Really makes you feel like you can do it but I'm sure it's completely different n the hill.  At least it makes you visualise which is helpful.
Nismo33 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nismo33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 9:26pm
Bumed was going to buy this for my girlfriend and I but not without a discount. Anyone get another discount?
Dirty dirty.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2010 at 8:16am
Bit the bullet and ordered the Freestyle vids.  I'll update the thread once I have a chance to check em out
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 8:31am
I bought the videos a couple months ago but only really made use of them today.  Hadn't even seen them in probably a month since I haven't ridden since then, but I was just thinking about back and it was pretty fantastic.  Before I was getting consistent pop and clean loft off kickers maybe 60% of the time... when I went yesterday that was more like 90%.  On some of the stuff I already knew, it helps distill a couple season's worth of trial and error tips into the space of 5-15 minutes.  Really a fantastic product that breaks things down really nicely.  I always thought about getting private lessons at some point to learn the little tips and temper my form, but I think these might be just what I need.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 5:53pm
For anyone wanting to purchase our downloads or DVDs we have a code that you guys can use TruSnow We would love to hear what people think about our latest tutorials and if they are helping you out or maybe ones you think we should look into?
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 5:58pm
Check out one of our latest tutorials for those wanting to improve their muscle memory and to practise tricks before going into the park. you dont have to buy our product either. You could quite happily make your own if you are handy at DIY: Free 10 min Balance Bar Tutorial
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by SnowAddiction

For anyone wanting to purchase our downloads or DVDs we have a code that you guys can use TruSnow We would love to hear what people think about our latest tutorials and if they are helping you out or maybe ones you think we should look into?

Thanks for the hook up!!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:50am
these videos definitely helped me when I was learning 360s. Thanks guys.
Soft View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Soft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:53am
Big thanks from me and my cousin! We bought it togheter, and it have gotten us far! The buttering videoes are just the must usefull snowboarding video in the history of youtube. Thanks! I really recommend SA to everyone starting with snowboarding. The price might seem high, but it is alot of usefull tutorials! Snowboard Addiction is AMAZING!

- P
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by SnowAddiction

What about for current subscribers?
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Flying Penguin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Flying Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:32pm
It looks like you have a good set of information there and clear demonstrations of it. But the only thing I would suggest if possible is to cut the price down a little bit. Also if you look online some of the things you are trying to teach is on the web, so try to advertise what you are teaching and is not on there. But besides that it looks pretty solid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123