Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 6>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions
    Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 7:44am
Alright, so I know there are multiple music threads but as far as i could search there isn't quite one that's like what I want to try to do here. I've really been trying to expand my horizons when it come to music. Over the years I have listened to a variety of different things, but hip-hop is where my heart resides right now.

But, lately I have been wanting to explore and try out different types of music. Some types include: mash-ups, dubstep, electronic, and just chilled out music (no matter the genre).

What I'm hoping is that this thread can be a place where people can suggest songs/artists/types of music for others to listen to.

There are many sites that I find my new music at but i recently came across http://thekollection.com/ which provides a lot of what I have been into lately.

So I guess I will begin by suggesting that anyone who wants something new new to listen to, check that site out.

Some of the other sites that check daily include:
http://www.rapradar.com
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/
http://thissongissick.com/blog/

If you find something on one of these sites that you enjoy, please, support the artist, and if they are on itunes buy some of their music.

ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:39am
Im guessing everyone probably already knows about this site but.
http://www.pandora.com/
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:42am
even though it's evil AOL, they do put out full new albums to stream every wk:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases

i highly recommend bookmarking and checking every week.
be talkin to ya
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:44am
hotnewhiphop...nice not many people use it but its an awesome site

check out www.whitefolksgetcrunk.com for a list of some good mash-up/remixes of current hip-hop music and even some good mixtapes...it can be a huge hit or miss but overall its pretty solid
Aos View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Aos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:46am
jaredlodico View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jaredlodico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:48am
All I do is torrent everything. I love pop punk, punk, rock, and others haha you should listen to blink 182 or motion city soundtrack. New found Glory is also really tight.
You listen to Atmosphere? Also tight!
MasonMason View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I pimp with a cone on.

Quote MasonMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:52am
i use www.mixtapetorrents.com  It seems like more of your thing big nastay. I usually just dl a whole bunch of albums and go thru them to find which singles I like. The 'classics' section is awesome if your into old school stuff...Really good cassettes uploaded on there.
Also http://www.last.fm is great to find new/similar artists. It's great because you can read a bit on the artist, listen to some track bits and best feature of all is that they have a section called 'similar artists' which you can go through and find new artists you may not have known.

I rolls with a 160gb so I'm a big music freak too.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:00am
Be careful about the ones you link to via a social media site like Facebook or Twitter since you may inadvertently send a status message to all your buddies every time you like a tune.  They use you like that.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:00am
Mason- I've used mixtapetorrents.com before. But i sort of had a run in with the torrent police once (for movies not music) so i try to stay away from that stuff now, shook me up a little bit and its not worth the consequences.

Zabisket- Definitely looks like I'll be adding that site to my book marks. I just don't like how you can't listen to the song before you download.

edit. you can listen to some of the songs, not all though
SirGounder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SirGounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:04am
+1 for grooveshark.  It has all the benefits of Pandora with none of the commercials and limit on how often you can skip songs etc.  It's a good way to discover new music.
codeadidas View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote codeadidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:20am
www.emp3world.com has some top songs, some of which never show up on other 'top hits' charts, but like anything else, its hit and miss. And of course Pandora!
morph12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote morph12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:27am
Originally posted by biz_NASTY

Mason- I've used mixtapetorrents.com before. But i sort of had a run in with the torrent police once (for movies not music) so i try to stay away from that stuff now, shook me up a little bit and its not worth the consequences.

Zabisket- Definitely looks like I'll be adding that site to my book marks. I just don't like how you can't listen to the song before you download.

was it the actual police, RIAA, or just your service provider warning you?
Also, was that a public torrent site, or private?

just take some steps and be sure to be smart... 
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:30am
It was my ISP saying that Warner Bros. contacted them and wanted to know who was torrenting their stuff.
ASMRides View Drop Down
Local
Local
Waxin yo

Quote ASMRides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:35am
Originally posted by SirGounder

+1 for grooveshark.  It has all the benefits of Pandora with none of the commercials and limit on how often you can skip songs etc.  It's a good way to discover new music.

I just checked out grooveshark and its awesome!! Definitely better than Pandora.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:41am

yea whitefolksgetcrunk changes their audio provider all the time, for the longest time they used to not allow you to listen and only download from mediafire, then last year they switched to zippyfile and another one, now it looks like they went back to mediafire which sucks...they should just use limelinx like hotnewhiphop would make things soo much better
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by zabisket

yea whitefolksgetcrunk changes their audio provider all the time, for the longest time they used to not allow you to listen and only download from mediafire, then last year they switched to zippyfile and another one, now it looks like they went back to mediafire which sucks...they should just use limelinx like hotnewhiphop would make things soo much better

Ya, I've noticed that they use a large variety of audio providers. It seems like they are starting to use soundcloud though, which IMO is one of the better ones.
zionmagus View Drop Down
Local
Local
My friend's custom design Forum Mini Youngblood

Quote zionmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 7:09pm
Game musics and remixes are underrated IMO.  To me they encompassed almost all different genres.  So if you're feeling experimental and want to branch out, you could try it.

http://ocremix.org
laorider254 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote laorider254 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 8:38pm
http://last.fm is good for exploring artists who are similar to what you search for.
http://hypnotika.org  is good for club music like trance,breakbeat, dubstep, etc

สดชีวิตอย่างเต็มที่แล้ว ............................ ตาย
Skhan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Skhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 9:19pm
if your into mash ups check out girl talk or ratatat's remix albums: "remixes vol. 1 and vol. 2".
ratatat makes some really sick instrumentals. 
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 5:07am
oo yea one more, that you probably know, but i'll still post to share
http://hypem.com/#/twitter/popular and http://hypem.com/#/popular

its a good one to check once every week or two, not everyday, but you can still some sick mixes/new songs on here...only some allow downloads but its still a great way to hear the song
k-rage View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-rage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 7:00am
last.fm is my personal favorite.

i've also used websites like pitchfork.com to find more indie-ish bands, if you're into that kind of thing.

if you're looking for some chilled out music i've been listening to a lot of post rock. great instrumental stuff, look up explosions in the sky or mogwai. its my go to study music
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 2:26pm

oo yea one more, that you probably know, but i'll still post to share
http://hypem.com/#/twitter/popular and http://hypem.com/#/popular

its a good one to check once every week or two, not everyday, but you can still some sick mixes/new songs on here...only some allow downloads but its still a great way to hear the song

I didn't know about this so thanks for sharing. There's some really good stuff on there.
islandboy274 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote islandboy274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:24pm
honestly ive just been using youtube for my normal artists, and stumble upon rare recordings of them with acoustic sets, or covers by other bands which will have good songs. then use the mp3 converter addon on firefox.
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:47pm
The Prodigy!!!!

not many people know about them

Here is one of my favorite songs:

but this song is probably better for snowboarding

biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 6:59pm
So I came across another style of music that I realized Im into a lot.

Rap songs that sample older songs for the beat.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCDVEpZmOUU

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wiz+khalifa+the+thrill&aq=0

ttran052 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ttran052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 10:11pm
Wow, this thread is awesome. Why haven't I found it earlier! Thanks for all the useful sites guys!
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2010 at 2:56am

The Theophilus London is dope, that is an awesome song...wiz is well known too me and is sick but im really liking that Theophilus song...nice post
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2010 at 11:30am

The Theophilus London is dope, that is an awesome song...wiz is well known too me and is sick but im really liking that Theophilus song...nice post

Glad you enjoyed the Theophilus London song.

Here's another one from him, sampling 'aint no sunshine'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfELNbWpkY
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2010 at 11:39am
^^ yea i grabbed his mixtape 'This Charming Mixtape' after you showed me that song, pretty sweet mixtape...already told a bunch of people about him...thanks for the find
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2010 at 12:48pm
More suggestions. Dont know how I forgot to post these before.

This dude OnCue has been getting real big on internets over the past couple of months and his last mixtape 'Cuey Sings the Blues' was unreal. Anyways, pretty much every song on the tape samples other songs, DMB, Tracy Chapman, MGMT, and many others. Definitely worth download, one listen and I think you'll agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6yi0inh_o
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2010 at 8:02am
Bump.

Someone out there has to have something new.
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2010 at 9:25am
i checked out grooveshark recently as well which is indeed better than pandora.
dvldg78 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dvldg78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2010 at 11:55am
freshoncampus.com and thewhitepanda.com are both pretty good, definitely worth checking out
Bob Vance, Vance Refridgeration
cyberace View Drop Down
Local
Local
yep

Quote cyberace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 8:58am
+1 for grooveshark.
and i like beatles
i have one more thing...
TheLuckster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote TheLuckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 10:08am
Beatles - Revolution.
I love that song.
nlg516 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nlg516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 10:26am
Try http://www.datpiff.com for free rap and hip-hop mixtapes.  It's pretty awesome, they have tons of artists.

For electronic music like dubstep and the like, I like to use http://www.house-mixes.com.  They have user submitted mixes in a ton of electronic genres, including original songs by users and mixes from artists in the genres.  And of course they're all free as well.

Kind of off topic here, but another website I've found quite useful is http://www.zamzar.com.  What zamzar does is convert video files from youtube into mp3s, so you can extract the sound from any youtube video and put it in your music library.

nlg516 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nlg516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 10:31am
Oh, and as far as electronic artists go, here are some popular ones you should start with:

FC Kahuna
Mimosa
Deadmau5
Simian Mobile Disco
How to Destroy Angels
Portishead
Bassnectar
Chemical Brothers
Four Tet (his remixes are amazing)
Digitalism
Harmonic 313
Midwest Product

That should get you started
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote beunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 12:32pm
I use purevolume.com
It has a lot of unsigned bands or unknown signed bands, with a few established bands. They usually have some free downloads too!
Neon22 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Neon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 2:29pm
go to livemixtapes.com all kinds of artists dropping tapes
k-rage View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-rage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2010 at 7:38pm
just search soundcloud.com/grime the intense music you will experience is amazing. just look up dubstep. seriously. dubstep. its soooooo coool
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 9:30am
been a while since ive found some new good music but biz_NASTY i got a new one for you

found a pretty dope new rapper, Hoodie Allen...here is his newest song out but check out his mixtape 'Pep Rally'  its all pretty sick

Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 9:41am
I had never tried soundcloud till reecntly. It's pretty good. I'm liking it better than pandora.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 10:10am
So idk how many of you are familiar with barstoolsports.com, but it has become quite large over the past couple of yrs and has started expanding from their one original site. But they have a newish site called barstoolu.com which has a music player at the bottom of the page which are songs that are posted by the people who blog on the page. I've found that a lot of these songs are the type of music i've been into lately. So if any of you are fans of thissongissick.com or thekollection.com i feel like this might be a good place to go for music as well. 
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 10:15am

So idk how many of you are familiar with barstoolsports.com, but it has become quite large over the past couple of yrs and has started expanding from their one original site. But they have a newish site called barstoolu.com which has a music player at the bottom of the page which are songs that are posted by the people who blog on the page. I've found that a lot of these songs are the type of music i've been into lately. So if any of you are fans of thissongissick.com or thekollection.com i feel like this might be a good place to go for music as well. 

hahaha i was just gonna post about that as well, im not a big fan of barstool but my neighbor is obsessed with it so i figured i would share it anyways
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 7:59am
@zabisket, i dig that Hoodie Allen dude, and I've heard him before but don't have any of his stuff in my collection of music.

For some reason this is really the type of music (white boy college kid rap, or w/e you'd like to call it) I've been listening to most as of recent. I think it began when Sam Adams began to emerge as a new artists last summer, though I never really became a huge fan of him and that's a totally different topic for a different time, however listening to him either opened up my eyes to a kind of music that has really began to emerge recently, or it brought me to sites that offered this selection of music. It seems like there are many of these artists that are now starting to hit the runs of the various sites on the internet, some having real good talent, and others that I tend to skip over. However, it will be interesting to see which of them will begin to make an impact, who will become mainstream, and whether or not it will help to get this type of rap into the larger community.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 12:05pm
So how many of you out there know, or know of, someone from your town, your city, w/e that raps or sings, DJs, plays an incredible set on the drums etc... Thought it might be interesting to include some of these people here in this thread. I've got a feeling that there might be a lot of posts in response to this so lets see what everyone out there's got.

So the first artist I want to post is Kyle J, an artist from a small town near me. He's been going strong and really starting to emerge into a larger scene (in my opinion). He raps about real experiences, relationships, trying to make it and none of that nonsense bullsh*t that a lot of rappers tend to do now-a-days. Not saying everyone will enjoy his music, but definitely take a listen.

Below is his website, which has links to his two mixtapes and some videos.
http://www.kylejmusic.com/

And here is a direct link to some of my favorite tracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJdT7iVcy8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQtgdvJCn-4&feature=related

And a link to one of videos,more of a day in the life of rather than a music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GDnR9-1_0

carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by wpiass

even though it's evil AOL, they do put out full new albums to stream every wk:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases

i highly recommend bookmarking and checking every week.

I just listened to the entire, brand-new Gregg Allman album on this site today so thanks!
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 6:41am
Bump. Lets get some discussion in this b*tch
toothpanties View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote toothpanties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 7:07am
check out some...

-A Tribe Called Quest
-Devin the Dude
-Rx Bandits
-Dredg(leitmotif)
-Super Mash Bros.
-Benga
-Maps & Atlases
-Thrice
-Foals
-Hella
-Minus the Bear
-Nas(illmatic)
-Portugal. The Man
-Tool

Lots of different types of music their, enjoy!
savantk View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote savantk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 7:31am
You should definitely check out Girl Talk. He does some of the craziest mashup remixes I've heard, and his new album is worth checking out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>