Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 6>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aos View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions
    Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 7:34am
Check out soundcloud.com there is a lot of user created music that is actually pretty good.
Since I first found the site they have grown quite a bit.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 10:28am
If you want a really interesting, fresh variety on the traditional bluegrass, you should check out "The Devil Makes Three".  It is really kind of dark, alternative bluegrass that is very addicting!  I had never previously thought I would see a mosh pit at a bluegrass show...yeah, seriously, I sh*t you not!!!

Also, they are from Santa Cruz so you get plenty of chances if you are in the Bay Area.
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rishihb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 9:30pm
I've tried a lot of sites like Pandora, last.fm, hotnewhiphop, etc. I liked grooveshark.com the best, good site. Also, fratmusic.om is worth checking out for a party soundtrack.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 6:09am
Its a welcome sight to see people suggesting bluegrass. Thats awesome! Bluegrass is good music.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 7:15am
the best way to find music in my opinion is to go to amazon and enter in bands that you like...it will give you suggestions of bands that other people liked that are similar.  When you see a band you are interested in search for them on myspace and listen to their music for free through streams.  You cannot hear all their songs but you can hear a few in their entirety and this will give you a better idea (as opposed to the 30 second clip on Amazon) as to whether you want to buy it.

Also use listomania on Amazon as well to find other user's favorite music.

Another good rescource is Urban Outfitters music blog.

Spin magazine is another great resource.
east4life View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote east4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 7:39am
i like one republic cuz its calm and makes me ride easier.
duke1144 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote duke1144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 1:01pm
I listen to a lot of hip hop when Im riding, it hypes me up
ivantheturrble View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ivantheturrble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 4:56pm
Pandora and Grooveshark are the best. There is also a new service that just emerged,
http://www.rdio.com/
I haven't used it yet, but i heard some really good reviews.

For me, techno and dub are really great for riding, nice beat gets you hyped up. :)
I think most pop music is alright to ride with.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 5:31pm
Been listening to a lot of Muse while riding.
Flow iRide View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I Like'm Fast & Dirty!

Quote Flow iRide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 6:28pm
Nice sites listed above. The site that I use to listen to the most is MixCrate. DJ's and Artist upload their music/playlist/mixes from all over the world. You can pick whatever genre of music to listen to, download the it or save it.
if your not wasted, the day is.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 1:29pm
Bump.

www.collegerapup.com
twinsin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CHOO CHOO

Quote twinsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 3:04pm
I think I'm one of the few here that primarily listens to electronica.

House, trance, some dubstep, some trip-hop...so if anyone is interested in some recommendations on these genres, I can mildly help out.
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kingman756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 3:38pm
rap and hip hop for me. mac miller is actually quite nice when shredding.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by twinsin

House, trance, some dubstep, some trip-hop...so if anyone is interested in some recommendations on these genres, I can mildly help out.

I'd very much enjoy some recommendations.
The Kollection, a site that i often visit recently added a new electro site to their line up

http://electro.thekollection.com/

I haven't visited yet just due to the fact that I rarely listen to that genre of music. But it its anything like their site or any of their sister sites, I'm sure its amazing.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 4:01pm
I'd like to try to keep this thread a lot less about music people shred to, and more about just music in general; there are countless other threads already started about what you listen to when you ride. I envision this thread being more of a place to introduce new music to people, to express your feelings about different music, a place to share interests in new/old artists, etc...
twinsin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CHOO CHOO

Quote twinsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:28am
Originally posted by biz_NASTY

Originally posted by twinsin

I'd very much enjoy some recommendations.
The Kollection, a site that i often visit recently added a new electro site to their line up

http://electro.thekollection.com/

I haven't visited yet just due to the fact that I rarely listen to that genre of music. But it its anything like their site or any of their sister sites, I'm sure its amazing.
I've lately been on a mini trip-hop (don't use this term too much -- elitists hate this nomenclature Tongue) craze:

Some of the songs on my playlist:

DJ Krush - Kemuri (Untouchable Remix)  <--- oldie but probably one of the freshest sounding songs I've heard for a while
Portishead - Roads
Massive Attack - Teardrops (Deep Mariano Remix)  <--- impossible to find an mp3 anywhere as this was only pressed as a vinyl B-side release
The Bloody Beetroots - We Are From Venice & Dimmakmunication

Let me know if you're interested in more.  House is my main genre (electro, tribal, tech, minimal), but as I said before, I do dabble in the other subgenres of electronica.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2011 at 5:11am
Its been 2 weeks since this has been to the top. Let's gooooo.
Guest_253632 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Guest_253632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2011 at 5:25am
old british metal and rock forever.
amart77777 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote amart77777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 5:42am
Rap and hip-hop
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 6:10am
I have a chill rap playlist and a hard core rock playlist
depends on my mood
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 6:25am
http://www.reverbnation.com/

I like this site, they have a bunch of unigned bands.. I really dig the local scene. I like supporting the local groups.. Here in San Diego the local scene is really getting good.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2011 at 4:22am

So how many of you out there know, or know of, someone from your town, your city, w/e that raps or sings, DJs, plays an incredible set on the drums etc... Thought it might be interesting to include some of these people here in this thread. I've got a feeling that there might be a lot of posts in response to this so lets see what everyone out there's got.

So the first artist I want to post is Kyle J, an artist from a small town near me. He's been going strong and really starting to emerge into a larger scene (in my opinion). He raps about real experiences, relationships, trying to make it and none of that nonsense bullsh*t that a lot of rappers tend to do now-a-days. Not saying everyone will enjoy his music, but definitely take a listen.

Below is his website, which has links to his two mixtapes and some videos.
http://www.kylejmusic.com/

And here is a direct link to some of my favorite tracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJdT7iVcy8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQtgdvJCn-4&feature=related

And a link to one of videos,more of a day in the life of rather than a music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GDnR9-1_0

C'mon, no responses to this post? Stop being lazy people and stop posting just for the points. This thread has a lot of potential. Lets get this thing goooooing.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2011 at 6:13am

So how many of you out there know, or know of, someone from your town, your city, w/e that raps or sings, DJs, plays an incredible set on the drums etc... Thought it might be interesting to include some of these people here in this thread. I've got a feeling that there might be a lot of posts in response to this so lets see what everyone out there's got.

So the first artist I want to post is Kyle J, an artist from a small town near me. He's been going strong and really starting to emerge into a larger scene (in my opinion). He raps about real experiences, relationships, trying to make it and none of that nonsense bullsh*t that a lot of rappers tend to do now-a-days. Not saying everyone will enjoy his music, but definitely take a listen.

Below is his website, which has links to his two mixtapes and some videos.
http://www.kylejmusic.com/

And here is a direct link to some of my favorite tracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJdT7iVcy8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQtgdvJCn-4&feature=related

And a link to one of videos,more of a day in the life of rather than a music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GDnR9-1_0

C'mon, no responses to this post? Stop being lazy people and stop posting just for the points. This thread has a lot of potential. Lets get this thing goooooing.

agreed...ill try to get things going again

my friend Jeedy is starting to get some attention after making this remix for our school, Virginia Tech

he has some pretty good remixes that you can see on his youtube page and he will be releasing a mixtape in the next couple of weeks
C02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote C02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2011 at 6:43am
where do you guys get your music? (besides buying it on itunes)
Mortoni View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mortoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2011 at 6:56am
Filesharing haha or torrents
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2011 at 6:58am
Yea any bit torrent site, and use uTorrent to decode the files so that it is possible to bring them into iTunes.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 3:27am
Originally posted by C02

where do you guys get your music? (besides buying it on itunes)

If you read through the rest of the thread you'll find a lot of sites that people have posted. Some of them you can only listen to the music, but must are download based sites.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2011 at 3:50pm
So I've got a bunch on new stuff I've been listening to lately, a couple mixtapes and some other stuff.

Mac Miller's new mixtape 'Best Day Ever' is nice and is as good, if not better, than his previous tape 'KIDS'. The opening track ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_y06i0K4c&feature=fvst ) is dope; love the way the beat builds up and is a perfect intro to the tape.

Another mixtape I started listening to T Ryan's 'The Other Side'. T Ryan is just dope all around. He produces most if not all of his own tracks, makes his own beats, and his raps are up to par with other kids in his genre. One of my favorite tracks on the tape is 'Pilot Sky Life' here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq09jIkfhwg

The Deans List is one of my newly found obsessions. Just really enjoy everything they do. They came out with a tape called 'The Drive-In' a couple weeks back that I've been banging for a little while now. There's a lot of dope tracks on there but 'La Vie' really stands out to me. If your not into the intro just stick it out a couple seconds, but personally I enjoy it (not sure if its a sample from something else) Give it a listen here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZxa2lv6i2M

And there's a bunch of other stuff out there that has been getting some plays in my itunes
Lupe - Lasers (Album)
The White Panda - Pandamonium (Mixtape)
Pac Div - Mania! (Mixtape)
Kanye Feat Lil Wayne, Big Sean & Drake - All of the Lights Remix
J. Cole - Killers ***One of my favorite Cole songs ever

And I haven't given a full listen yet but Travis Barker's 'Can a Drummer Get Some' album dropped today and from what I've heard from leaks and what not it should be a real dope album. Loving the drums/rap collaborations.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2011 at 4:40pm
Anyone got a mobile player app besides pandora that is worthy of me downloading?  Pandora is cool, but I find myself skipping so many songs, not to mention the same damn commercial comes on every other song.  
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2011 at 5:31pm
i would say that if you're into hip hop but want to try something a little more grooving and mellow try the old soul stuff like otis redding, wilson pickett, the delfonics, al green, etc.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 10:14am

The Deans List is one of my newly found obsessions. Just really enjoy everything they do. They came out with a tape called 'The Drive-In' a couple weeks back that I've been banging for a little while now. There's a lot of dope tracks on there but 'La Vie' really stands out to me. If your not into the intro just stick it out a couple seconds, but personally I enjoy it (not sure if its a sample from something else) Give it a listen here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZxa2lv6i2M

i grabbed that mixtape too a couple ago and it is soo sick, la vie is so dope, im also a big fan of dear professor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--elzfXNuU just because i also like country and its probably the first time ive heard a sample of a country song actually mixed very well with hip-hop...i hope to see more of them soon
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 2:58am
Originally posted by zabisket

i grabbed that mixtape too a couple ago and it is soo sick, la vie is so dope, im also a big fan of dear professor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--elzfXNuU just because i also like country and its probably the first time ive heard a sample of a country song actually mixed very well with hip-hop...i hope to see more of them soon

Yeah dude i completely agree. Loving that country sample soo much. There is a remix with Kid Ink but I like the original a lot more. I'm actually glad to see if no one else, I can count on you to enjoy this thread.
AppMtns04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AppMtns04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:25am
I've been listening to some old stuff recently N.W.A 
Do Work-Play later
C02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote C02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 9:39am
muse. all day everyday.
wechter View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote wechter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 4:17am
Yeah I like Muse too. Just heard a new band the other day. I've also been listening to Young the Giant.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 4:22am
Originally posted by C02

muse. all day everyday.

I saw Muse back in 2002 in Italy at the Heinekin Jammin Festival.  They put on a hell of a show and the europeans absolutely loved them.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
wechter View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote wechter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 12:27pm
Check out Cage the Elephant
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by AppMtns04

I've been listening to some old stuff recently N.W.A 

For a new spin, try NMA...North Mississippi Allstars....fantastic blues/slide work of the Dickinson bros.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 4:02pm
I found out that playlist plays on my phone.  I have to keep the web browser open and cant turn off the display, but I can listen to my playlist in my car now.

I have a feeling, wireless phone will eliminate radio in the near future.  Maybe not totally.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by SnapShot

I found out that playlist plays on my phone.  I have to keep the web browser open and cant turn off the display, but I can listen to my playlist in my car now.

I have a feeling, wireless phone will eliminate radio in the near future.  Maybe not totally.

for which phone? for my phone, we can "check" songs we want to play and auto select a list of checks(play list l guess) its like a motorola.... something
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 4:07pm
Evo Shift.   I would think any phone capable of rendering flash would be able to play it.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2011 at 3:56am
I am still partial to old school stuff like Donna and the Buffalo, Dr Hook and the Fugs
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2011 at 5:11am
this is the perfect blend of techno and hip hopClap
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Skoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2011 at 12:41pm
If you wanna listen to music that doesn't suck you can check out http://www.progarchives.com/
'10 Academy Team 152 w/ '10 Flux Super Titan
'10 Rome Pusher 150 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'10 Sierra Stunt 147 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'11 GNU LDT Park Pickle 153 w/ '10 Super Emblems
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 3:24am
Bump. Let's get some good NEW suggestions, discussions, opinions today.

Wiz vs. 311 mash-up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZh5xiVteT8
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 3:28am
That mash up is ok.. Ive heard alot better tho
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 3:32am
Ceephus and Reecie the best ever.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:17am
Originally posted by krisshono

That mash up is ok.. Ive heard alot better tho

Wasn't implying that it was the best, just something newer. Why don't you add to the thread by suggesting something 'better'.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:24am
Want some cool acousticy rock/soul music check out

Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows.

Definitely not what you would expect from Zakk but it's an AMAZING cd.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2011 at 6:12am
Originally posted by zabisket

my friend Jeedy is starting to get some attention after making this remix for our school, Virginia Tech

haha your friend's got nothing on the bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>