Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions
    Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 5:53am
For those of you who have been following my posts (if theres any of you), I've got a new video from Kyle J, a local artist. 

The video serves as a visual for the introduction song on his up coming mixtape 'Bar Room Blues' and is a bit more creative then some of the other videos. 

If you want to take a look: 

jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jason.huenefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 7:15am
girl talk man its awesome to ride to! his new album is great!
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 7:43am
Originally posted by biz_NASTY

For those of you who have been following my posts (if theres any of you)

Come on kid, you know I have! Big smile

Gotta keep this thread going. Some real good music scattered across these pages.

To take it into another direction, here is one of my favorite pop bands. So farking catchy. BTW, the oldest member of this band, Los Campesinos!, was 19 when they recorded this song/album.

biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Originally posted by biz_NASTY

For those of you who have been following my posts (if theres any of you)

Come on kid, you know I have! Big smile

Gotta keep this thread going. Some real good music scattered across these pages.

To take it into another direction, here is one of my favorite pop bands. So farking catchy. BTW, the oldest member of this band, Los Campesinos!, was 19 when they recorded this song/album.

Thanks man, I enjoyed the song and really appreciate when people bring new stuff to this thread. From the beginning I've wanted this to be a place to me more about promoting good music, discussing, and sharing opinions about music and less of of place to just post want music you ride to because:
1. lets face it, most of us are riding all year long. so we need more than just riding music. we need listening material for the beach and BBQs, to chill out to, and whatever everyone else enjoys.
and 2. because there are already multiple "this is what I ride to" threads.

Thanks for those who support some of these ideas
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 9:40am
I actually do not listen to music when I ride....

ANYWAYS..For me I am just overly obsessed with music. All types, all makes, all generations, all the time. I grew up in a VERY classical/orchestral household. Ever since I could remember all I wanted to do is find new things to listen to.

The better part of the last decade though I have been on a pretty serious indie/pop/instrumental/psychedelic-math inspired-rock/and local kick. Sorry if this is the wrong place, but once again I will post a link to my face-mace music page I started a little bit ago. Right now it's just a few friends, and friends of friends, but really want it to take off. Basically it's just a facebook fan page to talk about all kinds of music, and debate it and so on...pretty much a melting pot of everything that is going on here in this thread, plus up coming shows and reviews. Didn't really want to do it on face-mace, but after a few attempts under different format, that only 2 other people followed, I realized I would have further reach on FB.

The link is...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Westas-Music-Melt-pot/201320866587406

or if that doesn't work just log into FB and search "Westas Music Melt-pot"
once again OP, let me know if you want me to take that link down,  I would totally understand.

If you are into rap/hiphop you should check out Talib Kweli...the album "Reflection Eternal" is DAMN good. Like, playable on the first listen all the way through, find your self bobbing to the music good.

If you are into indie alt rock that sounds super sappy/sad, but still rocks like a MOTHER! and dark, crazy twisted lyrics but still comes out with happy time undertones check out the band "Lincoln" they only did one album, self titled, and IMO is real hard to find for free download, or even just to stream the stuff. One of the only places I have found streaming is here- http://www.allmusic.com/album/r308140 but it only plays like the first 10 seconds of the song, but will give you an insight if it is something you would want to pursue. (it is, by the way LOL) 1/2 of these guys went on to form They Might Be Giants (the 2 dans), and the drummer went on to play for Marcy Playground. Seriously, check em out.

If you like folky music, then check out a Columbus Local band, "Terribly Empty Pockets. They have 2 EP's, "Cat Mountain", and "Get Wet" Pretty basic folk/rock rooted band, but cleanly played, fun to listen to, good lyrics, and a little weird.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 9:58am
Oh, nevermind. Found a few youtube vids of their music. here is one of my favorites.

carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 10:54am
George Thorogood has a new album of blues covers in case you hadn't heard...not too bad.  Pretty cool tribute to Chicago blues.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 11:13am
just heard an album from a band called "100 Monkeys".  strange, but not too bad.
be talkin to ya
ButterBluntBangin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ButterBluntBangin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 11:31am
Damu the Fudgemunk is pretty legit. Haven't really read through all the post so excuse me if I repeat something but
Mac Miller
Consumed,
Wu tang Clan plus any of the members like RZA, Method Man, ect.
Jedi Mind Tricks
Damian Marley
The Game
Afroman
Afu-Ra
Snowgoons
Immortal Technique
Gang Starr
EPMD
AOTP
Black Pegasus
Dead Prez
Mos Def
Grieves... I can't really think of anymore off the top of my head.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 11:48am
Originally posted by ButterBluntBangin

Haven't really read through all the post so excuse me if I repeat something

You really should.

There are only 5 pages, you might come across something REAL good...Some good postings in this thread.
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2011 at 9:12am
Originally posted by ButterBluntBangin

Damu the Fudgemunk is pretty legit. Haven't really read through all the post so excuse me if I repeat something but
Mac Miller
Consumed,
Wu tang Clan plus any of the members like RZA, Method Man, ect.
Jedi Mind Tricks
Damian Marley
The Game
Afroman
Afu-Ra
Snowgoons
Immortal Technique
Gang Starr
EPMD
AOTP
Black Pegasus
Dead Prez
Mos Def
Grieves... I can't really think of anymore off the top of my head.

Checked out a couple of these that I've never heard and enjoyed the majority. Good post, thanks!
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 4:56pm
< ="utf-8">
Wow, so say what you want about what I post but w/e. I've posted dude before and I'll continue to because i  think he's got some serious talent. I know there has been comments about how the beats sound too fruityloopy and garageband-ish but I SERIOUSLY encourage anyone who's a fan of hip hop to check out this new EP that Kyle J just put out. The lyrics are THERE, dudes got some serious style and serious passion. "you might find me 20 years from now still doing this, not made a dollar off it but ima keep doing it"

http://kylej.bandcamp.com/album/bar-room-blues

listen/download there. 

got something to express, bring it to http://www.alloreverything.com. thats his website where he encourages any comments, criticism, anything.  

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 9:38pm
BAHAMAS-the lead guitar player/keyboardist for feist's band. it's really awesome
biz_NASTY View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote biz_NASTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 10:46pm
Found this whilst shuffling my itunes. Great example of story telling rap. 

aussnow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aussnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 1:19am
I've started samplin on some easy going music like madcon etc.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 6:31am
Kings of Leon - if you want a band with one of the most awesome debut albums that has now turned to such pop crap it's nearly unbearable
be talkin to ya
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 6:38am
A Perfect Circle, Amazing music.  I am going to the show tonight at Red Rocks, and I'm hoping it doesn't absolutely pour the entire time.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 8:26am
It's a scream-core day for me. My favorite band in this genre. "The Blood Brothers"
They are not for everyone, or even most people LOL but I dig the shit out of these guys. So much god damned energy.

2 songs from their newest, and last album.

And one more for ya. One of my personal favorites from my favorite album by them "Crimes" One of the craziest voices in the industry IMO. Love it. Too bad they broke up Cry Did get to see them twice in C-Bus before they split.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2011 at 10:43am
I know I have talked about him before, but del the funky homosapien is the man.

Freaking love this song :)

andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2011 at 12:06pm
You sound like me best bet is to use pandora.com I've found. Build a station with everything you like and all the new songs that you've found in the new genres you like. Pandora will take care of the rest and find new music for you. Asking people what they like is going to get you no where because everyone has different tastes in music.
I then use soulseek to download all the new stuff I find. Its great havent had any viruses, trojens, spyware, or any of that crap with soulseek.
Worst I had was wonderful.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2011 at 12:45pm
outside lands this wkend in SF!!  check out the late shows too...even better lineup!!!
be talkin to ya
aussnow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aussnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2011 at 11:54pm
Has anyone heard of Jay Z's and Kanye west's new album? is it worth getting?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by aussnow

Has anyone heard of Jay Z's and Kanye west's new album? is it worth getting?

Nothing Kanye does is worth getting....even if it's for free........

Anyways, A member of the Minneapolis-based collective Doomtree, SIMS dropped something new today..check it out here....
http://cluster1.tv/2011/09/13/sims-lmg/

If you like his stuff, he is offering a free download of his new EP-Wildlife. You can get that here....
http://sims.bandcamp.com/album/wildlife

kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 3:43pm
Kid Cudi gets me pumped up
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 9:40am
Daily pick- Animal Collective.
My personal favorite album is "Merriweather"
My top two favorite songs off that album are "My Girls" and "Summertime Clothes"
Hey they are the official music videos embedded for you. Check em out.

"My girls

"Summertime Clothes"

MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 9:52am
here's some goodness form the 90's

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 9:59am
listen to some Queens of the Stone Age, there music always get me pumped up and gets stuck in my head
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 10:27am
If you have Direct TV, their alternative radio channel actually plays a lot of stuff that doesn't get played on regular radio.  Lot of bands that got big were played there months before they hit the mainstream; i.e. Foster the People,  Two Door Cinema Club, etc.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 6:00am
So I mentioned SIMS earlier in this thread. I picked up one of his full length's "Bad time Zoo" yesterday. Hot DAMN is it good. One of the best rap albums I have ever listened to. Well, more of indie rap, but non the less. You can stream it on his bandcamp page, and then download it if you wish for 10 bucks.

Here is the link... http://sims.bandcamp.com/album/bad-time-zoo

My personal favorites off this album are...

Track 3. Bad Time Zoo
Track 6. In My Sleep
Track 9. LMG
Track 13. Sink Or Syncopate

That being said, there isn't a single song I would skip on this entire album. Through and through it just all works.
Already have 12 listens on the album. Just that good.
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 6:35am
Im diggin the music from The Art of Flight thought it all fit well and sounds great downloaded whatever I could find. Felt like a wild goose chase.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 7:08am
The new MGMT album comes out on October 4th. Hope it's more like Oracular Spectacular rather than Congratulations.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 7:13am
Originally posted by letourneau41

The new MGMT album comes out on October 4th. Hope it's more like Oracular Spectacular rather than Congratulations.

I hear you on that. While I understand bands want to experiment and change things up sometimes....Congratulations was a step in the wrong direction.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2011 at 7:31am
Yeah idk about MGMT but if you're into it cool ... either way, here's the real deal pre-sale you kids should all hook up the new PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS album HIGHLIGHTER also coming out in early October here's a link to the Piecelock 70 pre-sale site:

Thes One and Double K put out the best beats I've ever heard, I love PUTS.  Throw them a bone!

-b
get bent
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 6:29pm
I don't know much about quality rap but I like method man 

and I really like this song:

what do you guys got thats similar ?
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 6:46pm
I dug this throwback up on my Ipod today.  Still sick

My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 8:10pm

this song is BA
jdix View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jdix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 10:21pm
Dreamin' by Weezer.
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 11:09pm
measnwhile listening to Dubstep Remix of Muse - Feeling Good. Love the hard bass!
Push hard and you'll reach the top
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2011 at 4:36am
Dang, I haven't heart Queens of the Stone Age in a while
sirelderly16 View Drop Down
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 11:48am
I would like to recommend the new Devil Wears Prada album "Dead Throne". It features Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying. The new We Came as Romans is very good too!

Some others:
-Anberlin
-Saosin
-Jamie's Elsewhere
-Otter Petter
-Envy on the Coast
-He is Legend
-Broken Stride
-City & Colour
-A Static Lullaby
-The Sound of Animals Fighting
-My Arcadia
-Circa Survive
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 12:17pm
I'd suggest Naked and Famous - There's 4 or five really good songs on the album.
nickxcore View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nickxcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 12:25pm
My personal favorite band is Circa Survive. Check out their new album Blue Sky Noise...they should have a new album out not too long from now.
seacow234 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote seacow234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:12pm
Nujabes! fire up feather, it's like bridge jumping music!
ASMRides View Drop Down
Local
Local
Waxin yo

Quote ASMRides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:41pm
hit up...

www.thecollegecartel.com
www.thekollection.com

Free downloads on all songs... KINDA SICK

ASMRides View Drop Down
Local
Local
Waxin yo

Quote ASMRides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2011 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by ASMRides

hit up...

www.thecollegecartel.com
www.thekollection.com

Free downloads on all songs... KINDA SICK

EDIT: Blink 182 just came out with a new album too

Shigs sorry for the double post there's another song... Missed the Edit button and hit quote
sirelderly16 View Drop Down
Local
Local
AQUAMAN

Quote sirelderly16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2011 at 6:43am
nickxcore,

I like your style with Circa Survive, Blue Sky Noise is an incredible album! Got to see them live in February and Anthony Green signed my vinyl album. They were incredible live and when Anberlin followed them up it made the show even better. Have you seen Circa Survive live?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2011 at 8:02am
Alright...time to get some more stuff going in this thread. I do realize that this is just going to die away within the hour, but fuuu it. Here are my favorite picks off my current iPod. A-Z musical fun. Enjoy. (Oh, and if you can't tell, I am really big into pop/indie-pop/indie-rock/psyc-pop/ pretty much anything that relates back to pop in some way, with a splash of indie rap here an there. .
So...here we go. Enjoy.

AFI Was obsessed with this band as a kid, you know, back when skateboarding was illegal.LOL The progression they went on to isn't so much my flavor, but the first few albums just plain rocked socks. Even went out and got that scarecrow as a tat when I was 17Embarrassed Here are just 2 picks from me. Favorite albums include the "All Hallows" EP. and the LP "Sing the Sorrow"

Against All Authority Just a little ska/punk. Favorite album is "24 Hour Roadside Resistance" Here are my 2 picks from that album. Sorry for the shitty 240 quality, but they are a punk band, their up-loaders apparently don't know anything about file quality.

Animal Collective I have posted a few of my favorites in a post above. Here is another one by them that I am in love with. Song called "Fireworks"

Arcade Fire Nothing super special. Just some all around good music.

Arctic Monkeys Really, really like these kids. Saw them about a year ago, amazing live show. Amazing studio band. A nice refreshing sound. The two linked below are more poppy, AND popular! Wow...go figure.

Astronautalis Also another guy I have plugged before. Just saw him last weekend. Holy hell...amazing. Keep an eye out for this one. Since the new album "This Is Our Science" dropped a month ago, he has been blowing up. Been topping charts, in the top 10 of itunes, and so on. My second favorite indie rapper. Also by far one of the most humble/nicest guy in the industry.

At the Drive-in Rockin good stuff. Sad they broke up. Went on to form "Mars volta" Here is what they were before that happened, and in my opinion, were much better back then. They get 4 vids cause I like love them, so much.

Beirut Lets take it down a notch after that amazing shredding by ATDI. These dudes are pretty cool....

The Beta Band These guys are pretty good. Real chill. A nice change up from time to time. That is all I have to say about them. Posted is probably their most popular song "Dry the rain"

The Bird and The Bee I really dig on their stuff. Have only listened to the self titled album, and the "please clap your hands" EP. Funky, a little weird, and catchy as all hell.

The Black Keys Nothing new to say about these guys. I have been following them since the akron/stowe days. Rockin as hell. No one touches these guys IMO.

Black Kids Canadian pop at it's finest. Well, maybe not finest, but still at the top of the list.

The Books Amazing duo. Premise of their band is taking sound bites from all over the country. I.E. old voice mail recordings, talk boys found at thrift stores. They even did an entire album using sound recordings from a plastic surgery office. Weird, I know, but it works. I just freaking works...

Built to Spill A band that has been on my top 10 favorites of all time. A little psychedelic rock with alt pop blends. A little sappy and sad at times, but still rocks the eff out. Albums of key note are "There is nothing wrong with love" and "Ancient Melodies of the future"

Okay....so not going to make it through my entire A-Z list right now. I didn't realize how much of an effort that would be. So we have covered the A's and B's. Guess I will just do two letters at a time. My little laptop is not happy with me right now. Too much streaming I guess...either way it's heating up to a sketchy level. I hope at least one person enjoys at least one song I posted. If that happens, then I will feel like I didn't waste any time. Take it easy kids, have a good day, and I will be back later for further installments.

SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2011 at 10:12am
I saw Primus last night.  Les always puts on a good show.  I had a blast!
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2011 at 10:16am
Anyone who likes electro and dubstep, check out epicnetworkmusic on youtube. Tons and tons of super dirty songs. So sick! 
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 8:06am
Pretty excited about this one. I have been watching my friend make this for a month now. It's the new, official Red Hot Chilli Peppers music video for the song: Monarchy of Roses. Enjoy.

My friend Chris was the director of art production, at a local graphic design firm in town called LeftChannel. You can look at some more things they have done...most are pretty bad ass if you are asking me...here: http://www.leftchannel.com/

The RHCP video is based off the artwork of Raymond Pettibon. What my friend did was take Raymond's work, and blend it together into motion, while adding his own touch to it and matching styles of artwork. I think he did a pretty damn good job. About 80% of the motion of the video is him, the other 20 is of the two interns working for him.

I think my friend does amazing work. I like to plug his stuff for him. You can find more of his work at his website here: http://www.chrismeister.com

/shameless plug.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>