Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 3456>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music: Suggestions, discussions, and opinions
    Posted: Nov/15/2011 at 4:04pm
thanks for posting up all that stuff batmanwest. there's a few new things in there and some old favorites: the bird and the bee and (predictably) arcade fire.

otherwise currently listening to andrew bird's score to norman. great stuff.
dariocadmo View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dariocadmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2011 at 6:18am
soundcloud.com is the easiest site to use
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2011 at 7:20am
Originally posted by dariocadmo

soundcloud.com is the easiest site to use

Wow...thank you for that very informative and insightful comment. Now I know.

No problem nams.....music is what I love. The bird and the bee are cool...but I can't get into them too much. There are only like 8-10 songs I like from that group.

Back on The RHCP's....I can't believe the new video has 366,048 views in 4 days. Super stoked for my dude. It was funny as hell the day after it launched. I was over at his house and he just had his phone out going "well...just broke 10,000......man, a lot of people are talking about his stache....damn it, 30 people don't like it"
It was like watching a new father getting frustrated when his kid won't stop crying. LOL

Okay, time for some new music. Sorry, but not really going to put much description into this next batch. I got things to do. Just keep in mind I never post anything music wise that I don't like. Kinda.
Lets get it going where I last left off....it's time for C!!

Up first is "Cansei de Ser Sexy" They are just an all around fun band.

Here is one for all the dub-heads on the boards. Caribou. They are fun, they are different for sure, and should be a short enough step from dance/dub/house that it gets people to listen to different things. Check it out.

Oh stupid hipsters, you make fine videos, and some pretty good music. Next band is CHK CHK CHK.

Clap your hands and say yeah.

The Clash. Now I know most of you have heard them...this is for all the youngins we have on the boards....everyone should listen to the clash when they are 14.

Crystal Castles. Another one the dub-heads would dig...I just know it...haha.

Cursive. Slightly emo, Mostly rocking.

And that's it for today kids.....damn, I thought I listened to more C named bands. Guess not.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 8:21am
Good Friday afternoon! It's time for another installment of the westa A-Z musical breakdown!

Today's letter is:D. Lets get started...

Going to kick this off my one of my favorite bands, ever.
The Dead Milkmen:
An older punk band that came out of the 80's. With a discography of 16 full length albums, and 19 ep's and promo one song ep's...they are one of the greatest punk bands of all time. They are dirty, sloppy, drunk, pissed off, politial and happy, all at the same time. My all time favorite EP is "If I had a Gun" and my favorite LP (album) is "Eat Your Paisley!"...or "Metaphysical Graffiti", depending on mood. Here are a few of my favorite songs.

That was fun...wasn't it. Time to change direction.
Death Cab For Cutie: Prettttty sure we have all heard of them. I am not that into them, but I try to be as unbiased as possible when talking about music. I am sure there are a few people on here that dig the shit out of them, which is fine. Just don't be one of those kids that has every single song they made, downloaded from iTunes, and not even venture into the great bands that influenced Death cab. Also, I like them better put together as the Postal Service...just more my style.

The Decemberists: Now, I know a lot of people are turned off by dudes voice. I can understand that. But if you take the time to understand what this band does (or did..haven't followed anything for the past 2 years on them) and what their lyrics are saying...recognizing their story telling abilities with music and modern day sounds..you might just have a new appreciation for them. One of my favorite albums is "The Tain" which is the bands take on certain parts of Irish Mythology. It's long....but I am going to start off with it in it's entirety.

Deerhunter: Now I don't have a ton of knowledge on these kids...but everything I have heard so far was pretty good. A little psychedelic rockness..a little indie weirdness and so on.

Desaparecidos: Okay...so I don't see everyone getting into this one, but I love them. Pretty raw sound, lots of passion wither you agree with their message or not. Pretty damn politically charged. It was a side project started by Conor Oberst, the lead guy of "Bright Eyes". Now, I can't get behind Bright Eyes at all..too whiny for me. And I also kind of hate the guy as after Desaparecidos started to get big he pulled the plug on the band just for that reason. He said he didn't have time to devote to the band (that he started) and didn't like the mass media frenzy wrapped up around them. Said that isn't what the band was about...being famous. Crock of shit if you ask me. What better way to get your message out than to get famous and have more people hear your words? Eh...either way, they made some rockin ass songs.

So that's it for the D's today. Once again I thought I had more D bands in my iPod line up..guess not. Sure there are more D named bands out there that are worth mentioning...but my A-Z list is all about stuff on my iPod. I guess when I get done with Z, I will go back through things that are not on the pod, and have a new list. Looks like my E selection is also low, so might be back later with them. For now, it's time to nurse this hangover, and go run a few miles.
Peace out TruSnow gang. Once again...happy friday!
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 8:33am
if anyone is interested, then you can listen to slash's new live album for free today:
http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/6
be talkin to ya
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 8:56am
Originally posted by wpiass

if anyone is interested, then you can listen to slash's new live album for free today:
http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/6

Thanks for the post. I am sure someone out there will enjoy that. I, personally, can't. LOL
For some reason I can't get behind slash, or any of the 80's hair metal.
So, a little back story...
I worked at a job for 5 years where an ignorant, racist, hill-jack controlled the radio. For almost 5 years I heard the same bands, same songs, everyday. Mainly consisted of rob zombie, slash, ac/dc, slayer, poison, faster pussycat run, and the like. Over, and over, and over...for 5 years man.

So that being said, I will admit I may have a slight bias against hair metal and 80's/90's arena rock. But even before that I can't do it. Sure, people have different tastes, and no one is going to like everything they hear, but I like to think I give every piece of music I hear a fair chance. I dunno...tend to over think things a bit too much.

Also, I feel like most bands in this genre sound exactly the same, use the same riffs, same style of guitars and effects..and no matter how hard I try to distinguish the differences, I just can't find them.
Yeah, a lot of people might say the same thing about some of the pop/indie-pop bands I listen to. But I can find more differences that kind of music than I can with hair metal.

It's an interesting concept, way of thinking to me. Is it possible to be completely un-biased when listening to music? Is it possible to give a song, and band, a score a fair chance, even if its not normally your cup of tea? The human brain can only be so fair.
/rant.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 11:33am
Okay, I'm bored. The run didn't go well. Mile and a half in an puked. LOL So I came home and started searching for new music, and playing around with playlists.
So, lets move on through this alphabet!

Time for bands beginning with E.

Eels: First band I ever saw in concert. I was 12, it was rad. Embarrassing side note, I went to the show for the Gin Blossoms. Eels opened for them and after listening to the eels set, I got up, left and started my never ending search for new music..so that's where it all started for me. The eels. Close transition would be to listen to The Minders

Editors: A friend of mine put me on to them a few months ago. I dig em, can't rock to them for hours like I can so many other bands. Can sound pretty similar to all bands in their genre. At time the dudes voice gets to me a little, but all in all, a solid group.

Well...that's it for the E's. LOL Pretty pathetic showing on my part. On to the F's!

Face To Face: Grew up listening to these guys. Rock rock rock punk. Some times you just have to keep it simple, to be so good.

The Fiery Furnaces: Super weird group warning. It has been described many times as "the who writing music for kids with ADD". I would agree, but I dig shit like that. Variety is the spice of life my friends. It's a duo group. They record different instruments at different times, lace the tracks up all nice and neat except for vocals, some keys, and guitars. Then they play everything together and record songs. I think what they do is just crazy enough to work, and work well it does. "Blueberry boat" is their best album, hands freaking down.

The Flaming Lips: Dear god where to start? These guys should have their own post. Their live shows are just bat shit crazy good. Not a bad album to date, IMO, and they are always exploring different ways to make music. They did a thing called the "parking lot experiments" back in the 90's where they would have a ton of cars park in a circle in a parking garage. They recorded different tracks, sound bites and noise onto cassette tapes, then played them all together in different order on the car stereos. This prompted them to make something called "Zaireeka". A 4 disc album, to be played on 4 different stereos at the same time, in the 4 corners of a room. Shit is insane.
Albums of note are "The soft Bulletin" "Yoshimi" and "Clouds taste metallic"  If you ever have the chance to see them live...do it.

The Format: Super cool, chill, fun band. Has folk hints and undertones, along with jazz blends. Very well formed, technical songs.

EDIT: So while going through al
l these post to get rid of the embedding, in hopes of making this thread work again without freezing, I thought I would add this little piece of info while I am here. The Format have now become the band "FUN". Fun is cool and all I guess....but the Format is better IMO....

Carry on...

Future Islands: Just started listening to them a few months ago. I am totally blown away. Rather original sound, which I feel is really hard to do in the indie-pop world. Heart shattering lyrics wrapped up in a catchy ass rhythm seem to be easy for them to do. I am a huge fan of dudes voice. Really sets them apart from so many others, and you can just hear in his voice he is doing what he loves.

Okay, done for the day. Enjoy your friday night kids.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Okay, I'm bored. The run didn't go well. Mile and a half in an puked. LOL So I came home and started searching for new music, and playing around with playlists.

Ahhhh, the evils of alcohol and White Castle!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by ctoma

Ahhhh, the evils of alcohol and White Castle!

Yeah, I feel pretty pathetic about myself todayLOL
I guess this is what happens when you build a bar in your friends house. You have to break it in I guess. Damn martinis Evil Smile
Robnaldo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Robnaldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2011 at 6:45pm
I like the new Coldplay album =)

(go head and hate on me!)
jrvaughn13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Went snowboarding at Badger Pass in Yosemite. Great week!

Quote jrvaughn13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 1:09pm
I really like Mumford and Sons. If you haven't listened to any of their music you shoul check them out. I also really like Iron and Wine or Chris and Thomas.
nikoname View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nikoname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by jrvaughn13

I really like Mumford and Sons. If you haven't listened to any of their music you shoul check them out. I also really like Iron and Wine or Chris and Thomas.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2011 at 2:35am
OP: some chill music is Washed Out solid electronica with good grooves
OP: Antlers new record is also extremely chill

If you really want to support a band go see them LIVE!!  For the vast majority of artists this is where they make their money.
Some new bands/records that I am digging right now:

Vaccines: very much in the spirit of the Ramones
St Vincent: a interesting blend of musical styles
Generationals: modern take on 50's rock (not a bad song on the new recor IMO)
Apex Manor: if you like Wilco (speaking of Wilco sh!t their new record is good)
Cymbals Eat Guitars: if you like Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, this band is very much in the tradition of early Indie Artists
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. : do not know how to describe just listen to it
Fruit Bats: draws from many musical influences...definitely hear john lennon in him

Oh by the way for fans of all types of Indie Music Urban Outfitters is a solid resource: they give out 25 free songs every couple of months and every Monday 5 free songs from lesser know artists. Spin also gives out free music every month.  Amazon is such a good resource as well.  Find bands you like see what others are buying that bought the albums you like and then go and listen to those artists on MySpace.

s2bing View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote s2bing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2011 at 2:24pm
I'm loving Volbeat right now - just got tix to see them open for Megadeth and Motorhead in February.  Kind of a metal/country/rockabilly type vibe - Can't wait to see them on concert - all the reviews say they are fantastic live.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:41am
Well, since I left of with F, thought I would keep it going.

It's a flint flossy kind of morning. Say what you want, but dude is a breath of fresh air. I dig the shit out of some flint flossy!
Oh...and umm...don't take them too seriously. It's just in good fun...

mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 5:17am
SHUYAMOUF is pure awesomeness. Where else can you find another video with a guy standing in the middle of a deep azz lake and random dolphin shots?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by mrrorydigital

SHUYAMOUF is pure awesomeness. Where else can you find another video with a guy standing in the middle of a deep azz lake and random dolphin shots?

Hahah...yeah. It does have all the ingredients for a killer rap ballad. LOL

Meh, I'm bored...lets get through some more of these letters. Time for G.

The Get Up Kids: Pretty emo stuff, but they have a place in my heart. Grew up listening to these guys, and used to be obsessed with them back when I was a freshman. They might be on the emo side, but they know how to compose a damn good song. Hell of a live show too. So much damn energy. Albums of note are "Something to write home about" and "four minute mile"

Gorillaz: Not much to say that hasn't already been said about them. Good stuff, fun, and really sweet ass videos. Oh...and DEL is the shtooking MAN!!

Grandaddy: Another slightly emo band. Actually, more chill than anything...These guys are a little more technical and refined though, compared to TGUK's. If you have never listened to them, give at least one of the vids below a chance. Best album is "sumday"

That's all I have for G. Thought I would have time to get through a few more letters..but shit just keeps getting into the way. Happy friday everyone.

tdobbins1231 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tdobbins1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:30pm
Im one of those people who doesn't like to hate on an entire genre of music(unless it's Country) I just listen to anything Good so heres a few groups I have been jammin to recently.
MGMT
Passion Pit
Cage the Elephant
Parkway drive
OFWGKTA
Frank Ocean
The Pack
Bring Me the Horizon
Doctor P
Notorious B.I.G.
Dubba Jonny
Mac Miller
kali Buds
and the always great Bob Marley
tdobbins1231 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tdobbins1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:30pm
Im one of those people who doesn't like to hate on an entire genre of music(unless it's Country) I just listen to anything Good so heres a few groups I have been jammin to recently.
MGMT
Passion Pit
Cage the Elephant
Parkway drive
OFWGKTA
Frank Ocean
The Pack
Bring Me the Horizon
Doctor P
Notorious B.I.G.
Dubba Jonny
Mac Miller
kali Buds
and the always great Bob Marley
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:40pm
some blitzen trapper!

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:43pm
To add to BMW's "G Thang" for today...

Glitch Mob: This song, "We Can Make the World Stop" is featured on GoPro's HD Hero2 promo vid on Youtube...it's where I found them. I took a minute to listen to tidbits of their other stuff and like what I hear so far
Sidenote: If this doesn't make you want to go out RIGHT NOW and buy a Hero2, you must be blind. LOL

nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 5:20pm

Up first is "Cansei de Ser Sexy" They are just an all around fun band.

have you seen them live? they're just so full of energy. i kind of like their remixes of other songs as well.

not sure if Lykke Li has been mentioned yet but she's definitely someone to listen too. her first album and sophomore album show her progression. you have to listen to both.

vfrdude04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Steamboat, CO

Quote vfrdude04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by mommehK

To add to BMW's "G Thang" for today...

Glitch Mob: This song, "We Can Make the World Stop" is featured on GoPro's HD Hero2 promo vid on Youtube...it's where I found them. I took a minute to listen to tidbits of their other stuff and like what I hear so far
Sidenote: If this doesn't make you want to go out RIGHT NOW and buy a Hero2, you must be blind. LOL

mommehK is so right, I downloaded that song just because i saw it on the HD Hero 2 promo. You can actually download it free here, from Glitch Mob's website. 

it downloads as one long music file, but someone in the comments section was cool enough to separate all the tracks and that can be downloaded here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24781135/More%20Voltage.zip

Some other great songs are 

Ghosts n Stuff by Deadmau5 
Ash/Black Veil by Apparat
Chapel Song by We are Augustines
Young Blood by The Naked and Famous

This is just a few, i have a lot more on my itunes i've heard from random snowboarding movies and downloaded. 
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 6:03pm
+1 to Ghosts N Stuff...but I like the Nero remix better than the Deadmau5 original :D
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 11:07am
I'll get back to my A-Z list one day...but for now a little more Astronautalis. He is on tour in Europe right now....so to all of you across the lake, check him out.  For those of you that haven't listened to, or read  any of my numerous posts about him, he is one of my favorite artists. Best freestyles in the game. Super nice guy on top of it all.

Here is a link of current tour dates: http://www.songkick.com/artists/476612-astronautalis/calendar?page=2

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 2:30pm
^^^ hahahah that 2nd one was pretty good. It's weird to see "K-OS" on the equipment box behind him...because K-OS is actually pretty good (for the few songs I've heard).

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by mommehK

^^^ hahahah that 2nd one was pretty good. It's weird to see "K-OS" on the equipment box behind him...because K-OS is actually pretty good (for the few songs I've heard).

Dude, K-OS is pretty damn good indeed. Also a huge fan of POS. And really just about the entire doomtree clan. SIMS is the best out of all of them though.

Oh a much, MUCH cooler subject though, found out tonight that At The Drive-In more than likely will be getting back together, almost 11 years later.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/at-the-drive-in-announce-reunion-in-cryptic-tweet-20120109

Do yourself a favor and watch the video at the end of the article. Dear god this is the best news about music in the past 5 years. Thumbs Up
pgarrigan22 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pgarrigan22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 7:21pm
Not to sure if anyone has already mentioned it but grooveshark.com is the tits, you can make your own playlists and whatnot. Also for any skrillex lovers BANGARANG is pretty legit if you havent checked it out
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 9:05am
^^ Yeah, Bangarang is pretty good, haven't heard all of it yet though.
chraznist View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote chraznist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 6:52pm
this is old school but classical always works
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 7:20am
Back by popular request...it's the westa A-Z music you need to hear list. LOL

So....let's get started.

Head Automatica: Pretty poppy, slightly "emo" but still a little rockin. Pretty generic sound, that many other bands are doing, but non the less they do it well. Not always my cup of tea, but find myself listening to them when the temps. get a little warmer. Spring time kind of music if that makes ANY sense. Still though, I can't take more than a few songs of them at a time.

The Hippos: Well...looks like H is the poppiest-sappy rock-emo shit of a letter on my ipods...hahha. Non the less these guys should be mentioned. Mainly for just how into them I was back in my teens, and there seem to be a decent amount of teenagers on the boards. Anyways, back on topic...while most of their lyrics are about girls, and love, and heartbreak...they still rock at what they do. They have a little bit of a ska oriented background, and I also have a soft spot for lefty guitarists.

Holy Fuck*: There isn't an asterisk, just had to get around the naughty filter here...hhaha. So these dudes are pretty good. Great long drive music, or casual riding music. Heavily instrumental. Mainly electrica but with actual instruments.

Hot Hot Heat: I love these dudes. Once again, pretty poppy, but so farking rockin. Great style..pretty reminiscent of Tokyo Police Club, but a little more raw. I am sure most of you have heard of these dudes...

Hot Snakes: All time top 10 favorite band. Thank you fugazi for putting me on to these dudes way back in the day. Slightly political, slightly punk, slightly pop, 100% pure good ole' fashion rockin guitar melting fun.

Iron & Wine: Super chill...extremely talented group. One of the best live shows I have ever been too. I'll just let the music talk for me.....

Islands: So, these guys used to be the band "The unicorns" but broke up a few years back, and 1/2 of them re-grouped to form the Islands. While I like what the Unicorns did better, the Islands are nothing to sneeze at. Indie rock/pop, keyboard heavy, with heavy doses of goofiness.

Hoping this works. My favorite song off the album "Vertigo (if it's a crime) is in two parts..and I feel it is very important to listen to both together. Found this one on a playlist that has them back to back...If you are really interested here is the link to the playlist so you can listen to both...if not just click the part 1 video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR6GfifWLwk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBAD9BCCA2CBBE64F

Here is some songs from their first album "Return to the Sea" If you can't tell...I have this obsession with this group. Big smile

SORRY, NO VIDEO. BUT YOU KNOW HOW YOUTUBE AND VIMEO WORK, GO USE THEM TO LOOK UP ALL THE A-Z BANDS, BISHES!
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 1:32pm
Young the Giant is pretty decent.  I'm gonna try to catch them at Tahoe this weekend since I was late and missed them in Oakland a couple months ago.
daanbouman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote daanbouman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 12:52pm
sugarcult is a great band:

earthquake,
memory,
hate every beautiful day.

or sum 41, great songs for those high speed or freestyling moments on the slope. however, you either love it, or hate it. decide for yourself
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 5:53am
Really like this band Rooftop Pursuit, they're an indie band out of D.C. Kind of a R&B/pop/rock sound. Really dig them.

ROLL ON, BISHES.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 6:00am
Wiz Khalifa is pretty good. But last night I started listening to a really good song. It's called Take it 2 the Top by Trouble Andrew. All of his songs are pretty sick. Check it out everyone.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 4:37pm
So ,  just got home for work and saw in the randomness thread that MCA died today....fuck. That just blows dudes. The Beastie Boys were a HUGE part of my childhood, and adulthood. They shaped hiphop, they shaped everything. They were, and still remain the shtooking kings. For those of you that drink (I am going to have to wait a week) pour one out for the legend that was Adam Yauch.

EDIT:Removing youtubes, something is freezing the page and I am guessing it is the massive amount of embedded videos?.....

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 8:12pm
OK - my MCA-dedicated post of the best Beastie songs bmw hasn't posted yet:

screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 12:45pm
"Grouplove" and "Of Monsters and Men" are a couple of new bands I like.  Both were great at the BFD concert in the Bay Area this past weekend.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 5:09am
Of Monsters & Men: Mountain Sound

fun.: All Alright

Matt & Kim: Ready? ok
k-brew View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 10:04am
Gotta love atmosphere, brother ali, aesop rock
Another group I got into was Hilltop Hoods. Im more of an old 70s rock and underground rap style of listener. Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly ETC
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 4:19am
So, when I came back here to post something, the page pretty much crashed on me. Literally took 5 minutes for the page to load/un-freeze. Gonna guess it's all the embedded videos? Or is it just my computer? Anyone else have an issue loading this page?

So, music related, I have been exploring more things the flaming lips have done and came across this jem; http://flaminglipstwentyfourhoursong.com/  It's a 24 hour long song, played on continuous loop. You can buy the actual song, but it costs around 3 grand. It does come in a human skull sealed up with chrome though. The skull in the background of the site posted above, is how the song comes to you. Crazyness.
Got plans to listen to the entire 24 hours straight sometime soon. Big smile
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 8:48am
Is this thread for real.... there is absolutely no variety. Its all the same indie/hispter, electronic computer music that ANYONE with minimal equipment can make with spare time and a twinge of C quality parody rap, thats all.

Try NEW things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkhCxCcWSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1jyvZyV09A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3larcGfwC0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjdMLAMbM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrZRURcb1cM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcPc18SG6uA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBelXU2h4o

just a few of the many I could think of.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 10:21am
Same problem with this page.  Doesn't load fully, freezes.  Shouldn't have been opened.  
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 10:33am
Listening to Outkast's discovery, they need to release an album soon. It's been almost 10 years since their last real album together.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Same problem with this page.  Doesn't load fully, freezes.  Shouldn't have been opened.  

I think it's fixed now. Just spent the last...whatever, deleting all the youtube videos I posted over time. I guess that was just it, too many embedded videos? Weird because I have  no issue with the "funny video" thread, but this one kept locking up until I deleted all the vids I posted. Anyways,
I hope this comes back a little again. I dunno if it's "all the same shit" as dude above said (yes CDS, it is real)..I am always open to giving new stuff one shot.
By the way, I know I posted this before, but I think it's rad enough to get a second spot light. If you are into the flaming lips, or stoner noise music at all, give their 24 hour song a listen. From now (12:30 eastern time zone) till about 4 eastern is pretty rad. Rock out dudes Big smile

http://www.flaminglipstwentyfourhoursong.com/

EDIT: Oh, and CDS, since ANYONE can produce the music posted above, I would love to hear something by you. Send ya 5 dollarz if it's on the same level.
jades10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jades10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 12:00am
Bit of alternativeness, but pretty gnarly tunes:

Alt-J - Fitzpleasure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvNPORFXpc
Silversun Pickups - The Pit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjEmu_6Xog
Atlas Genius - Trojans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2yr12abg8

Enjoy.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 12:06am

Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

I think it's fixed now. Just spent the last...whatever, deleting all the youtube videos I posted over time. I guess that was just it, too many embedded videos? Weird because I have  no issue with the "funny video" thread, but this one kept locking up until I deleted all the vids I posted. Anyways,
I hope this comes back a little again. I dunno if it's "all the same shit" as dude above said (yes CDS, it is real)..I am always open to giving new stuff one shot.
By the way, I know I posted this before, but I think it's rad enough to get a second spot light. If you are into the flaming lips, or stoner noise music at all, give their 24 hour song a listen. From now (12:30 eastern time zone) till about 4 eastern is pretty rad. Rock out dudes Big smile

http://www.flaminglipstwentyfourhoursong.com/

EDIT: Oh, and CDS, since ANYONE can produce the music posted above, I would love to hear something by you. Send ya 5 dollarz if it's on the same level.

you couldve just posted the link instead of leaving it embedded....;-)

Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 7:56am
Soulful hip hop- Blackalicious, ozomatli, jurassic 5, latyrix, Dell.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Corza202 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Hammocks are a way of life

Quote Corza202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 12:20pm
These guys are who I mainly listen to. stuff like this, Necrotorture and such

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWE9YmB8reQ
jades10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jades10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 1:11pm
Can't also go past Triple J's Hottest 100, Thrift Shop took the honours....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>