Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ballistic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: board leash.. is there any point having one -
    Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:04pm
lets see... how many times has a lifty asked me to show i have a board leash... um..  zero times at the 8 different resorts  been to so far. Has  anyone been turned around on the hill lately? If i ever do get asked I plan to say "these are new leashless bindings... but thank u for  asking.."
2009 custom x 164/co2.est 2009
2009 fish LTD. 160
2010 Supermodel-X 64/Co2.est 2011
2011 Banana Magic 157/co2 2011
boots: 2010 DC Status/2011 K2 T1DB
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:06pm
alot of resorts require them, but they dont really check.
its a safety precaution, so your board doesnt turn into a missile.
and dont think it never happens...
zionmagus View Drop Down
Local
Local
My friend's custom design Forum Mini Youngblood

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:09pm
Better be safe than sorry.  Even if you never lost control of a board or seen anyone, they happen and will happen, and all it takes is one time for it to be disastrous.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:16pm
the point to having a leash should be pretty obvious. Not all resorts require them, and of those, who knows how often they actually enforce it. Board flying down the hill solo is never a good thing. I took my cousin riding for the first time, he got stuck in some snow, decided to unstrap, and the next thing i know, my custom is flying down the hill, sans rider. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:20pm
its funny though, you have to take the leash off to get your board off too.  so what if your board flies away after taking the leash off?  same exact reason to get a leash, so should you then have a leash leash?  and then a leash leash leash?

i dont fight the rule cause its not worth it at all, but if you think about it, it almost never even has a chance to come into play (a leash).  how many times have you seen a board flying around?  very seldom if ever.  and how many times have you seen a skier eat it and their skis explode and go flying around like knives?  i dunno about you but ive seen that countless times and have almost been hit with flying skis.  granted they have brakes so they dont slide downhill after stopping, but still.
Chad S. View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:24pm
I have a friend who never used one. He lost it when he was at the top of the mountain when it took off and never saw the board again. So that can be useful
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:25pm

I actually lol'd at the thought of the ski poles..

And actually ive been hit by a random board flying down the hill. Some dude up @ whistler let his board go or something and I was on the tbar lift thing.. Was going left and right missing everyone else but came RIGHT at me.. I ollied but it still caught me (hard to ollie up a hill Cry) and it made me fall and the tbar flew up hit me in the chin.. then i caught it. Needless to say it pissed the crap outa me and it hurt. I dont ride a leash but if ur gunna go leashless be careful, not some inconsidering noob.

I wanted to kill that dude.. Angry
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Chad S.

I have a friend who never used one. He lost it when he was at the top of the mountain when it took off and never saw the board again. So that can be useful
so do you think there would have been no chance of him losing his board if he had a leash?  like he cant lose the board if he has to take a leash off after unstrapping, like its some magical barrier that doesnt allow you to lose hold of your board after the leash comes off?  i just dont see the logic on this at all.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:31pm
i dont know about you spenser, but i usually dont unstrap completely until i finish riding and take a break at the bottom of the hill
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Ballistic

lets see... how many times has a lifty asked me to show i have a board leash... um..  zero times at the 8 different resorts  been to so far. Has  anyone been turned around on the hill lately? If i ever do get asked I plan to say "these are new leashless bindings... but thank u for  asking.."

lol are they supposed to? i don't know what good it will do you. If you ever have to unstrap to walk, you will also have to unleash. bindings are really good on their own so I don't know when you will unintentionally detatch
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:35pm
bindings are pretty freaking fail proof but it doenst hurt to have extra... no one has ever checked either
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:38pm
i think spenser was talking about the stupidly short one that do nothing but annoy the user. personally i will never go ride without one, and the one i use is the dakine leash that go to your knee instead of your boot. i have seem so many times that board flying down the hill and i even helped stopped it. you don't have to use it if you don't like it, but don't cry about it when the worst happen to you (just like helmet). stuff happen, and happen a lot when you least expected.

in case you guys wondering the look of the leash, here we go
with this thing on, your board never free from you even you unstrapped, so go figure.
hmmm... Now What???   
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:39pm
I have been to a place to required them and saw them making people tie boot laces to the bindings. I agree they are pointless. Spencer said it when you take off your binding you take off your leash or your doing something wrong. I could see having them on bunny hills b/c they might be useful there more often.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:42pm
regardless of the type of leash, once your board is unhooked from you, its free.  the only thing stopping it is your hands.  if you can let it go without a leash, you can let it go when you have a leash when the leash is unhooked.

if someone uses even a little bit of their brain and keeps their board with them, theres no reason they should let the board get away.  i just dont see the logic.  am i missing something?

again, i dont fight the rule.  some resorts enforce it and its not a big deal to use one of the little minimalistic ones.  but if we wanted to break it down....... i dunno.  i want to hear the resorts reasoning and have them prove that its actually going to help.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:46pm
hahahaha, the board leash needs a leash. I agree wit spenser. if anyone is gonna take their board off, usually the leash comes off too. I seen it. it was hilarious when I tried to get my buddy started and he got fustrated, kicked to get outta the bindings and boom goes his friking board. he was lucky that I got it, but he had to do the walk of shame down to the board.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 8:59pm
airblaster leash also long enough to stay on with your boots are out. so you still have control of your board. the only time the leash was unhooked were the time i leave for lunch or done for the day.

so,yes, from experience riders it just a little extra (just like helmet as i mentioned).
but for someone who just start out, the extra always help.

also common sense doesn't seems so common nowadays.
hmmm... Now What???   
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:00pm
I think you guys are missing the point here. When you unstrap your bindings on flat ground, say at the end of the run, there is little risk of your board moving away, at an accelerating speed. If you were to unstrap at say, at the top or middle of a run, then your board poses a much different kind of threat. I think the general thinking is that if you unstrap/remove your leash at the bottom of run, thats kosher. Unstrapping on an incline, not so much.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:01pm
right, but wherever you are on the mountain.. top, middle, bottom... if your board gets away, its because you let go or maybe forgot to grab it after unstrapping (thats a stretch).  you can still let go or "forget" to grab it after you take your leash off...
TheBiz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:05pm
So your board doesnt fly off if you take it off aka hitting someone down the mountain in the face/leg/board or W/e. My cousin look his board off and didnt have his sprap and he took someone out bad with his run away board, no bueno. He learned...
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:11pm
Most of the leashes I've seen are long enough that you can stand next to your board, and still be attached to it, so maybe thats the difference we're seeing. I haven't seen many boards go flying..maybe 4 or 5  total last season, but if a resort wants to enforce em, thats their call. It's likely a safety (read: lawsuit) precaution would be my guess.. I doubt the resorts are in bed with the leash manufacturers. If you're riding any kind of terrain thats not the bunny slopes, you're probably not taking your board off at all.. but i'd guess it helps out a lot more for the people who are still learning.
rickyz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:12pm
You could be sitting on a hill and you're unstrapping for whatever reason... and the board slips from your hands because it was super slippery from the melted snow.  Or you go to grab and you miss or something.  Usually a leash is undone last if I'm not mistaken... and if you had a leash on then the board would stop.  If you don't... goodbye snowboard.  crap happens. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by rickyz

Usually a leash is undone last if I'm not mistaken... and if you had a leash on then the board would stop.  If you don't... goodbye snowboard.  crap happens. 
so are you saying theres no way to lose hold of your board after the leash comes off, just like you could lose hold after taking your bindings off when theres no leash?  the board is free after everything is unhooked whether you have a leash or not, so you are able to lose hold in either situation.

maybe if you lose hold after unstrapping and your leash catches it, youll go "damn, woops" and your brain will start working again enough to remember to actually hold on, but ultimately if you let go, you let go.
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 9:24pm
I haven't been called out on the leash rule once in the last 10 yrs at multiple resorts in Tahoe and at Mammoth. A leash won't do crap to stop a board from getting away from the rider because you have to unhook the leash to get out of the binding. A ski has brakes that engage when the boot releases from the binding, a much more effective method. Stupidity or carelessness is the cause of loose boards flying down the mountain. Bottom line if your gonna take off your board on the mountain hold onto it or turn it upside down so it can't run away or stuff the nose or tail into the snow!
play young stay young!
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2010 at 11:47pm
Safety because not everyone takes care of their stuff so that clips don't stuff up I guess. Usually they turn a blind eye but you know it just has to happen once in a blue moon that someone loses their board on the lift and ya......
mgmoore808 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 12:27am
This stupid ass skier hit me super hard and i knocked both his skis off and my binding came a little loose on one side. There cant seriously be a purpose except to make money off dumb people while protecting other people from even dumber newbs!
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 1:30am
I own a leash, but have never used it. I only have it because I don't want to be denied riding. I have had a runaway board and that was my first time riding.
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
US: 12 Burton Vapor 159, 12 Burton Fishcuit 150, 12 Burton Diode EST
China: 13 Burton Custom X 158, 14 Cloudsplitter 158.3, 14 Burton Genesis EST
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 1:48am
I nearly lost my board one day. I had taken it off and the leash. When I went to stand up I somehow managed to kick the board which went scooting off down the hill with me running after it. I was lucky it must have hit a bump and flipped over and stopped. Im much more careful now.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 2:13am
do skiers need leashes? for every runaway snowboard i have seen, i've seen ten runaway skis, it's not like those binding brakes work at all. of loose gear flying down the mountain, i have only seen one and heard of one injury and they results of a runaway ski. let's face it, there are a lot more skiers out there. i am not saying leashes don't serve a purpose, it's amazing the things i use them for other than their intended purpose, because i only know of a couple mts. that give you a hard time, but there should be equality amongst snowriders.
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 3:44am
Where I go, they do check and will turn you away if you don't have 'em! So I always keep spare in my pocket anyway in case. I usually have the leash chained on the bindings and board set.

I thought the purpose of the leash was to keep your board tied in case it slips & falls while you're on the lift! Now that could really kill someone. Confused My leash is always tied to my front leg, so when hitting the quad, or coming off the lift I don't really have to strap it or take it off! I just unstrap my back leg, slide and up we go.

On the gandola rides though where I actually have to unstrap & carry the board, no one really cares (on that mountain). I was hardly asked their to show leash even on the quad chairs.

Now... having said that... I don't actually tie the leash to anything! Tongue I just connect it from the binding strap to the binding strap/heel! And when the lifty asks I just point to my bindings and move forward! Wink No one actually goes down on their knees to check. Wink

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME… THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:01am
They are pointless.. If yoour binding comes off your board it's going to go sailing anyway.. Depends if the lift operator wants to be an ass or not.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:12am
I have them on my boards for only one reason, there is one older lifty at my mountain that has made it his personal mission to enforce the resorts leash requirement, not one other employee seems to care.  This way I always have one handy in case he is working and I don't have to go buy one at the outrageous price they charge at the mountain shop, since he will turn you away if he finds you without one a second time.

I understand the point of leashes (especially for kids) but if you have any sense you know not to take your board off on the slopes unless you are responsible about it (off to the side in powder, on flats etc.)...although I guess that is the resorts point, too many idiots don't get it and they are trying to cover their ass in the event of a lawsuit.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:20am
I had one with a traditional clip like backpack chest straps, it worked well for the older board when they actually use to enfore it.  I haven't had a problem riding without one for the last 5 years or so though.  Copper and Keystone definately don't seem to care.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:23am
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

I had one with a traditional clip like backpack chest straps, it worked well for the older board when they actually use to enfore it.  I haven't had a problem riding without one for the last 5 years or so though.  Copper and Keystone definately don't seem to care.

careful if you go to crusty butt...the only reason i have one.
Daveongo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:24am
i have one just s i wont get denied that one random time, and its short so if i'm takeing my foot out of the binding i'm taking the leash of right afterwards
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:28am
^ I agree, I thought the leash was to protect the board from falling off of the lift if someone, for whatever reason (people adjusting their binding, bindings too lose, fooling around, etc.), loses their board. My leash is short so I need to take the leash off if I am unbuckling no matter where I am on the mountain. If I am unbuckling on an incline I make sure I hold my board or flip it over on the bindings ... I don't rely on the leash to hold it. Also, I do see lifties checking for leashes on resorts here in the Northeast, not as thorough as they check for lift tickets but they will call people out on it.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:31am
I haven't seen too many lift operators that care. I did see a guy in the line a few people ahead of me get turned away for not having a leash at Sunrise in AZ. The guy was super pissed, the staff turned him away and told him to go get one at the shop. I thought the poor guy was going to give birth to kittens. I'm not the biggest fan of the leash but if they prevent people from getting clipped by errant boards that's cool by me. Plus they only take a second to use.
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Dice

I thought the purpose of the leash was to keep your board tied in case it slips & falls while you're on the lift! Now that could really kill someone. Confused My leash is always tied to my front leg, so when hitting the quad, or coming off the lift I don't really have to strap it or take it off! I just unstrap my back leg, slide and up we go.

I'd agree with this answer.  I personally think it's more of a safety precaution while riding the lift.  You've almost always only got one foot strapped in, so there's that much more torque on your one strapped in foot.  If for some random reason your binding decides to fail and your foot comes out, your board's dropping and who knows who/what it's gonna land on.

Now I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm Mr. Safety or anything, and could really care less if people choose to wear a leash or not, but I'd really be pissed if I was cruising down the hill and got blindsided by somebody's equipment falling from the lift.  I wear a leash every time I go out, but it's honestly only because I wear a legbag and it just happens to be part of it.

Sidenote - I was riding with a friend a couple years ago, who was using a leash.  Dude had some cheap gear he got online somewhere, like overstock.com or something similar.  Anywho, he's making a mildy hard toe side turn to the right.  The torque on the front binder combined with the cold (I'm guessing) caused his cheap binder's mounting disc to shatter.  His foot came straight off the board w/ binding still attached.  As he was falling, the back leg's binding did the exact same thing.  I stopped to make sure he was alright - "Yeah.  Can you go get my board...?"  I had to chase the now rocket downhill and basically lay myself out on it to stop it.  Ended his field trip pretty damn quick, but man was it hilarious to see him walking up the hill in his boots with the bindings still attached and no board.  LOL
http://thench.com/garage/
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:38am
I've never used a leash and never been checked for one.  I thought leashes went the way of step in snowboard bindings.  With strap on bindings you board is never going to just fall off.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:43am
my local resort makes it mandatory for snowboard leashes. OVerall, i find it a good think. Better safe then sorry, plus by putting it on your leg that is always strapped in makes it less cumbersome. Was never checked once when in vermont though (at stowe, stratton and Jay's peak)
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:45am
yea i don't think there is a need for one i was never checked and never needed it
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:48am
i dont see the point in them, skiers dont have to use them and skis are actually designed to come off, boards arent..
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
andreww View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:49am
I never had one and never seen any place require the leash.
jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 4:59am
i haven't seen anywhere where they have demanded a lift. I use one just for that freak accident... my bindings came with one so its not like it costs extra. 
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:02am
They would make you have them in Argentina.  Key word "HAVE THEM"  You didn't even have to put them on.  My friend just put a 4" long key chain on his binding and called it a day.  The chain wouldn't have even worked as a leash. 

I've also had a friend that broke a binding from his board.  "No Biggie" he says "I'll just one foot it down" Well his other binding breaks off as well, so now he's got a bare board and two bindings.  He says "I tried to ride the bare board down the hill with the bindings in each hand but, it just didn't work.  I had no control"!  Shortly there after I see him just walking down the hill board in hand. SO FUNNY here that story. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Ballistic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:29am

..only because I wear a legbag and it just happens to be part of it.[/QUOTE]

legbag.. LegBag.. what the heck is a 'legbag'Confused

someone should start a website... www.snowboardleashharassment.com
which identifies resorts who continue to target, harass, and villainize peaceful snowboarders.
The said resorts would be chastised by angry snowboarders who are tired of being singled out. There is no place anymore in our society for the medieval thinking of these snowbophobes.   Thats right.. snowboardphobia will not be tolerated anymoreWink

2009 custom x 164/co2.est 2009
2009 fish LTD. 160
2010 Supermodel-X 64/Co2.est 2011
2011 Banana Magic 157/co2 2011
boots: 2010 DC Status/2011 K2 T1DB
gramkracka22 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:32am
not like its holding you back or hard to clip on

might as well have one imo
Ruberduky9 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:33am
They are very practical especially for beginners who don't know a thing about their boards. I am required to wear one as an instructor and many of the large corporate resorts require riders to wear them to get onto the lifts which can be quite annoying but is something their insurance companies require.
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:34am
I find that less and less places require you to have one.  Although it would really suck to be the one to drop a board on someone's head.  Better safe than sorry.  Or hit with a lawsuit.
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:35am
I think the leash is pointless,  but I use one just to make sure the lift ops don't ruin my day.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
Piantball33 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 5:37am
The only time a leash is useful imo is if somehow your boots (both at the same time) rip out of your bindings.  I can't ever imagine this happening.  I could see a bindings breaking, but in that case you have another foot attached to keep the board from sliding.  There's no way a leash will stop anything unless it was attached directly to the board and not the binding. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>