Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: UC at Boulder
    Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 11:46am
Hey peoples,

so. I am a junior in High school, which means im starting to think about colleges and my future. Ive been looking into this college and it seems pretty sweet, im not at all sure what i want to go to school for, but it seems like it has it covered. I live in central Wisconsin, and we have a good college right here in town, but i want to get out, and experience the world. What I really want to be around is mountains, for mountain biking, the scenery, and most importantly, snowboarding. This place is supposed to be within short distances of many, many good places in CO, and they have the CUST, Colorado University Snowboard Team, which is basically a sweet group of boarders that ride all the time, and is somewhat sponsored. I would love to go out to this school for my college education, but am wondering if any of you have any ideas/experiences to inform me of about this school in particular, my situation, going out of state for school etc. I know there are ways to go about getting residency in CO so i could get in state tuiton, so that isnt as much of a factor as it normally would be. IDK!!! let me know what you guys think
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 11:48am
also a junior in highschool. im trying to get into USC. my grades are for sure good enough, but i dont know if i can afford it. i heard they have a great ski / snowboarding club there. :D
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 11:58am
im not sure about the admissions at UC at Boulder. but is you know, the University of Colorado, so i mite not even be able to get in there. My gpa is like 3.8 ish depending. soo idk even know. i need to get more involved. hopefully they like me enough that i could get into a school like that.
EMHM00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:01pm
Better start smoking weed and chowing granola and hating a lot of things in order to fit in there. Oh and stop bathing too.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:03pm
personal experience you care to share?
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by EMHM00

Better start smoking weed and chowing granola and hating a lot of things in order to fit in there. Oh and stop bathing too.

LOL

Originally posted by BoxStomper

soo idk even know

And practice your grammar for college.
http://thench.com/garage/
EMHM00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:11pm
I go to school at MSU Bozeman. We've had a lot of people from down boulder way transefer or move here and the vast majority of them have been dirty, pot-smoking, trust-funded, pseudo-hippies with bad attitudes thinking they're better than everyone. If you're into that kind of culture than it's a great place to go. Not saying it'll all be like that but the campus is the epicenter of that kind of spirit.

By the way Bozeman... except for a fair bit of yuppies is rad if you wanna snowboard and live in a cool outdoor focused town. Lot's of opportunity for mountain biking and everything else. And a good school too. Check this out:
and:

I'm from rural MN so if you have any of the same kind of upbringing, work ethic, or interests as I do, since we maybe grew up in a similar place, Boz might be a better place for you.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:14pm
box stomper, it's a good school, but you should consider what your interested in studying when selecting a school. hippy it's not, like some would suggest, expensive for out of staters yes, hard to get into yes, especially for out of staters, and most people refer to it as CU, or skiU. but it's a great place to go to school.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:14pm
Yeah, i have to work super hard to get where i wanna go, i will not be funded by the parents, i have been working at least 1 job since i was 10, and have a very strong work ethic, like this area has. I will look into there as well, I'm not set on the exact place, just the idea of going to school, riding a TON, like for that college team, and being in the mountains, wether that be in Montana, or CO, or Wherever, it doesn't matter.
ninja_monkey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:15pm
hahaha, hes talking about the culture of boulder. Its percieved as a snooty, very liberal, hippie town.

read this article - http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE3DF1239F933A05750C0A96E9C8B63
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:38pm
Dude, try to get into the best academic school you can get into. A degree from an Ivy League or other highly respected school will take you far and increase your earning potential. The more money you make, the easier it is to go boarding whenever and where ever you want. Please don't make your college choice based on what mountain it's near. You owe it to yourself to get the best education you can get. *and if it's near a great resort, than kudos to you.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
casanovaa0 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:42pm
i agree with the previous post with a twist. i think you should def strive for the best school you can get into but if your best is sadly mediocre then go for the best bang-for-your buck school that is reputable. this way you don't suffer from tremendous school loans with little gain from the cheaper school. this way you have more money to go where you want to board to
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:43pm
You don't need to go to an Ivy League school to get the best education possible, nor will it promise a successful or enjoyable life. If you go to a ''Grade A'' school and are going for the wrong reasons, you won't succeed and you won't maximize your efforts. Go to school where YOU will be motivated to learn and also enjoy yourself, you only get to do it once. And like Eldo was saying, find colleges based on your scholastic interests and your other interests will follow. I was actually just accepted to the U of Utah this week. Go UTES.
CHEAP CUSTOM DIECUTS ( STICKERS ) - HIT THAT PM
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 12:58pm
That is cool to hear you live in Wisconsin. I live right below milwaukee. I am also trying to go to a college in a mountain area. I need to get out of the hell hole that Wisconsin is
EMHM00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Grinch

That is cool to hear you live in Wisconsin. I live right below milwaukee. I am also trying to go to a college in a mountain area. I need to get out of the hell hole that Wisconsin is

You don't know the ninja turtles do you!?!?

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 1:51pm
im not Ivy league college material...and if you read the OP. then you would know that im not sure what i want to do. so how can i choose a college based on that?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 1:53pm
and no offense. but whats it to you if i want to go to a college with a good snowboarding team, what if i want to try my hand at a snowboarding career, not necessarily as a pro rider. but in that area, ie videographer etc. who knows? dont tell me that all i should look for is education... location location location
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 1:58pm
i agree box, and good luck, but definitely consider your academics too...i liked CU, and CO so much i ended up staying for 20 yrs.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 2:24pm
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:04pm
Hahaha. It's funny what perceptions people have of boulder. I currently go to cu as a freshman and I love it. I'm studying to be a mechanical engineer and the courses are pretty tough yet interesting. Boarding here is some of the greatest. I have lived here almost my whole life. And I have friends that left boulder and want to(or are about to) transfer back (from csu, oaklahoma, and USC). But honestly with college you will have fun basically wherever you go, its just some colleges have different perks than others. Shoot me a message if you want to know more about life here or if you have any questions.
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:25pm
ahhhhhh, springtime on the hill!
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:30pm
im not into drugs. or alcohol. sooo. definitely not something that is an issue
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:39pm
well plenty of awesome mt. biking too...
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:47pm
yeah i saw that on Boulder's City website. looks awesome. i just have some simple single tracking around here. would love to go more often.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:48pm
around boulder is some of the best downhill and xc single track in the world. another thing CU has over bozeman, its not in MT, denver is 40 minutes away, and denver has over 300+ days of sunshine a year, more than miami.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 3:54pm
haha. its not in MT. lol. but yeah. This school sounds great. not sure how hard it is to get in though
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 4:01pm
it's tough, for out of staters especially, but if your serious, you need to set your goals, and work on it, make them want you, because that's what they want, someone that is going to add something to the community, that isn't jus interested in going there cause they can ditch class on pow days, those people are a dime a dozen, and don't need financial aid either, there are a lot of trusties there, so make yourself out to be an asset, unique, and a positive addition to their school. do yoour homework, research what it takes and what they are looking for.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 4:13pm
yeah. im working hard in school. grades are coming up, hopefully 4.0 ish if i work hard enough...money is gonna be an issue. i might have to just go be a resident there. to get the instate fees
ace62488 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 4:32pm
I am going going to Col st for my masters after michigan state, want to get out also and shred CO. Colorado springs, University CO at boulder are both great schools too, depends on your major for where you should go, 3.8 gpa is def straight, get out and enjoy college or you will regret it
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 4:56pm
thats thing. i have no idea what i want to do after high school. The only class i have right now that really gets me excited is my Computer graphics/image manipulation class. Photoshopping etc. im super good at this stuff. and its super fun. ive done tons of boarding picture editing stuff. ill post up some pics of it later if i get time
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 4:57pm
just to throw it out there, I'm pretty sure boulder has one of the highest out-of-state tuitions of all the public universities in the entire country.  Not sure how much money is an issue for you, but I have a couple friends from CO who go there and I know that there's a massive discrepancy between in-state and out-of-state tuition.  Especially since you have a good college there in WI, it's something you might want to keep in mind.  Let me tell you first hand that debt sucks, and you're gonna have to pay it off someday.  Not to rain on your parade.

On the bright side, I visited Boulder and I absolutely loved it there.  If you really wanna pursue snowboarding, CO isn't a bad place to move to.

EDIT:

didn't read what you said about gaining residency.  sorry about that.  but yeah, i'd be wary about getting residency-it's something you SHOULD be able to do, but it's not guaranteed.  def do your research because that stuff can be dicey. 
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
ace62488 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 5:02pm
Co at Denver has a school of arts, just dont make the mistake of going to school just to go, have a plan where u can take classes you will need to graduate and decided by soph yr, ur not gonna want to pay more than 4yrs out of state tuition.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 5:09pm
again...nothing is certain. but for me to be able to go out of state. especailly to a nicer school like this. i would have to become a resident. and then pay the in state fees. Im just curious, im supposed to be "thinking about my future" which is tough to do. im just a 16 year old kid who likes to board. how the eff do i know what i want in life
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 6:53pm
Maybe you should take community college classes in Denver for a year. Then you can find out what interests you academically, as well as get your residency then transfer those credits to CU.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 7:07pm

again...nothing is certain. but for me to be able to go out of state. especailly to a nicer school like this. i would have to become a resident. and then pay the in state fees. Im just curious, im supposed to be "thinking about my future" which is tough to do. im just a 16 year old kid who likes to board. how the eff do i know what i want in life

Colorado dept of higher education:

Q. How long must I live in Colorado before I can be considered "in-state" for tuition purposes?

A. By law, an "in-state" student, or student's parents, must be domiciled in Colorado for 12 or more continuous months immediately preceding the first day of classes. 

I'm guessing you already know but in case you don't, you have to live in CO for a year (I believe independently from the school) before you become a resident, in those terms.

You can probably go to community college like the person above said, for a year (or more) and commute or whatever and then (Im assuming) be eligible for in-state tuition and transfer over. Out of state community college tuition usually sucks compared to in-state (or in county) though; around here anyway.

mikeman2459 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 7:10pm
UC's are the way to go, im at UCI and dont regret one bit of it
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by mikeman2459

UC's are the way to go, im at UCI and dont regret one bit of it

lol, what?
pocketbrain View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by TEXASS

You don't need to go to an Ivy League school to get the best education possible, nor will it promise a successful or enjoyable life. If you go to a ''Grade A'' school and are going for the wrong reasons, you won't succeed and you won't maximize your efforts. Go to school where YOU will be motivated to learn and also enjoy yourself, you only get to do it once. And like Eldo was saying, find colleges based on your scholastic interests and your other interests will follow. I was actually just accepted to the U of Utah this week. Go UTES.

I grew up in Denver and went to college at the University of Utah.  I loved the school and the snow (Greatest Snow on Earth!)  so much that I stayed after I graduated.  I loved being able to go to school in the morning and then snowboard in the afternoon.  You can get to resorts within 30 minutes of the U Campus.  GO UTES!
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Grinch

ha I've been in wi for four years, it isn't that bad, we have granite peak and the packers before that I was in co. I was small then and never realized what a paradise I was in. Now my family moved to toronto, and I'm trying hard as hell to get back to co for college. I'm a sophmore in highschool, so I guess I should start lookin into these things also. It's going to be really hard for me because I'm not even american, I have to either wait to get citizenship or try to get a scholarship    but I know what's motivating me to work towards it
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2010 at 5:26pm
WI isnt that bad. but why live here, if i can go somewhere else? I just keep hearing people say "get out there, experience life" and i want to go somewhere i can snowboard and just be near mountains, so i dont see the point in sticking around WI
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 1:17pm
http://www.cusnowboarding.com/

this is getting me very interested...ultimate dream school
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 2:12pm
That's cool, didn't know they got union, omatic and zeal sponsoring them. Tuition is way lower than I expected, my dad was being a dick, he doesn't want me to go to cu, so he was lying to me about it, saying tuition for out of state ppl like me is 60-70k a year, I checked and it's about 40k a year. Then I'm gonna try hard and get a scholarship and slash that down even more, hopefully down to 30k? I hope that happens no, I'm gonna make that happen. See you at cu boxstomper   
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 1:03pm
yeah :) how much is in state? id go that route. live there for a year. work a TON for monies. maybe take a tech college course. and then go to CU...how much is In state?
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 1:31pm
if you take business, that'd be the most expensive one at 24k, music is 20..
im taking engineering
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 1:37pm

yeah :) how much is in state? id go that route. live there for a year. work a TON for monies. maybe take a tech college course. and then go to CU...how much is In state?

This may vary but in my experience most community college classes are easy as crap for lack of better words. (Obviously a few exceptions like micro/macroeconomics, higher math courses, etc. - unless you happen to excel in those)
But most of the basic courses that are in most majors are pretty simple. So you could easily take more than one class, even if you plan to work or ride a lot.

Online classes are also real nice, especially for major specific courses for example if you're a business major then something like human resource management or supervision, any kind of course that is mostly "terms" rather than more complex things that include formulas or things like economics. So the simple classes online are pretty much cake.
I think even with 9 credits/semester you'll think it's pretty easy. Plus having at least a handful of credits looks better on a transcript before you go to a 4 year college (Not sure if you'd be considered a transfer-student)

In my experience anyway. It could be completely different there.

You could always see if they have any "reviews" of the college professors on
www.ratemyprofessors.com
too.
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Skio25

This may vary but in my experience most community college classes are easy as crap for lack of better words. (Obviously a few exceptions like micro/macroeconomics, higher math courses, etc. - unless you happen to excel in those)
But most of the basic courses that are in most majors are pretty simple. So you could easily take more than one class, even if you plan to work or ride a lot.

Online classes are also real nice, especially for major specific courses for example if you're a business major then something like human resource management or supervision, any kind of course that is mostly "terms" rather than more complex things that include formulas or things like economics. So the simple classes online are pretty much cake.
I think even with 9 credits/semester you'll think it's pretty easy. Plus having at least a handful of credits looks better on a transcript before you go to a 4 year college (Not sure if you'd be considered a transfer-student)

In my experience anyway. It could be completely different there.

You could always see if they have any "reviews" of the college professors on
www.ratemyprofessors.com
too.
no, not for cu, it says if you have never been to a 4 year college you wont be considered a transfer
dirtysouth View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
cuban in costa rica

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 4:25pm
I didn't live in Boulder ( I lived about 45 mins north) but everything I've heard about it is that it is expensive.  Not just tuition but living expenses as well.  You should consider that as well.  Depending on how much you will have to work to pay for rent and what not, plus a full set of college courses, will most likely not leave much time for recreation.  College courses are a lot harder than high school  in my opinion and require a lot more prep and study time.  Of course this all depends on your major, but don't underestimate your work load or you might be there one year and flunk out.  I know people at the college i attended made that mistake.
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 4:31pm
If you want to get into the snow industry go to colorado mountain college in  breck

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
gnujibs View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 4:34pm
all the things you listed are awesome to have, but over all you're (hopefully) going for education more than anything. school could really cramp your snowboarding time. but ive heard of people forming their schedule so that they can get out early/arrive late so that they can fit snowboarding in their schedule.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 8:33pm
Boulder isn't a hippie town, it's a psuedo-hippie town. Meaning most of the whiny little bastards are trust fund kids, or have parents with a lot of money, and like to act like hippies. Most of them are shtooking tools and more about the scene more so than anything else. Most of the kids from CU i have met are all about bragging about how they smoke pot and get shtooked up on acid and molly like it is the shtooking cool trendy thing to do, but i guess that can be said about most college kids and towns, but then again thats why college towns suck ass.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>