Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frontside rotating
    Posted: Dec/12/2010 at 7:12am
I am a intermediate level rider and have been looking to learn tricks for when I'm free riding on the mountain. I can do backside 180s and 360s pretty well, but, (this is probably somewhat of a stupid question) I don't know how in the world to rotate frontside. Whenever I try to do frontside 180s i either can't pop at all and I just do a revert, or somehow I pop and I barely rotate at all and catch my front edge. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong so any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. thank you
nixonow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2010 at 9:05am
Thats funny because the majority of riders would find doing frontside 180's/360's to be easier than learning backside because you aren't spinning blindly.

Whether you are popping off flat ground or off a lip try to carve just a little on your heel edge and pop outward with your spin. Remember to make sure your shoulders are leading the spin that should help alot also.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2010 at 9:10am
Lead with your shoulders and get a little pre wind up become you get up.. That's what I usually Try to do. Just practice on flat ground to start
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2010 at 12:41am
Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it a lot!
chrriiiss View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 11:36pm
i had this same issue and still find backside spins to be easier than front side.

pre wind up is so key
Maximus View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:08am
Use yo arms!
east4life View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:11am
if your doing a fs 360, turn your hips before the jump so your starting to rotate and then push on your shoulder to get the 360 rotation
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:11am

turn ur head where you wanna go duhhhhhhhh

fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:33am
Also, pay attention to your edges as you jump. I have a tendency to want to jump like I would in basketball, which means getting a lot of power from my calves and ultimately heading off my toes. It means grabbing toeside off your back leg and killing your rotation. Try to ensure you're somewhat edge neutral when you pop to help utilize your momentum fully. 
Goldberg13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by nixonow

Thats funny because the majority of riders would find doing frontside 180's/360's to be easier than learning backside because you aren't spinning blindly.

Whether you are popping off flat ground or off a lip try to carve just a little on your heel edge and pop outward with your spin. Remember to make sure your shoulders are leading the spin that should help alot also.  

You do know that frontside is blind, not backside, right?
What is this "snowboarding" everyone speaks of.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:54am
I learned them very early on by riding natural half pipes and spinning 180 (which is like a 360 on a pipe wall)  It's makes it really easy and you can get the feel of it.  
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:57am
I learned practing in my basement when I'm bored helps alot
mtmatsum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:30pm
Pop off your heel edge and it should make it easier. Also, like many mentioned... winding up prior to the jump will help as well.
Jarryd View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 2:50pm
Pre Wind!

a few people have said it but not really explained it

to put it simply you are winding your body ready to release when you pop, you pre wind mainly with your arms so imasgine you are holding your back hip with your front hand, so for regular hold your right hip with your left hand and have your right arm pointing out behind you, have your legs bent and when you pop you pretty much release and wrench yourself around which helps you rotate

you can also start the rotation early by takign off heel side or toe sdie depending on rotation and look where your going because your body follows your head.

to practice pre winding i cruised around and did nose rolls which are a fun little trick and can snap a few necks if people are just cruising along.
snow43 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 12:13pm
when i learned to do 180s i started going at the jump switched then my board naturally spun around front side.    and some new tricks you can learn try doing grabs in your 180s or also try to get that extra spin for a 540.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Goldberg13

Originally posted by nixonow

You do know that frontside is blind, not backside, right?

A front 3 landing is "blind", a 1 is not.

Anyway. Try practicing front 1's on flatground focusing on jumping off your heel edge with both feet at the same time. Once you seem to get the full movement and comfort of jumping off your heel edge take it to small rollers on the mountain and then small drop offs. Keep in mind you wont have to spin nearly as hard as flat ground, it should be somewhat floaty, especially on bigger airs - there isn't much wind on 1's.

Once you get it down by popping off both feet at the same time try adding a little bit of pop by loading your board just a bit and get comfortable with that. Grabbing mute might help a bit as well.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by snow43

when i learned to do 180s i started going at the jump switched then my board naturally spun around front side.    and some new tricks you can learn try doing grabs in your 180s or also try to get that extra spin for a 540.

Grabs are hard to do, at least for me.  Cry
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
vanoot View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Just some urban rodeo fun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Originally posted by snow43

Grabs are hard to do, at least for me.  Cry

Best advice I cangive you if you are having problems grabbing - bring the board to YOU. Too many riders try to reach with their arms for a grab, its much easier to just suck up your knees and then your board is right there. That way, you dont have to bend at the waist as much.
gepet0 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 11:59pm
To turn frontside you have to approch the jump with your heel edge.

Just pop or ollie your board and start rotation with all your body: head, arms and shoulders. You have to rotate as you would be a block that can be contrarotated...

Always take account on the landing...

JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:14am
look before you jump. asses what needs to be done.

i didn't get enough speed of jumps and did like not even full 180 and get stuck and sometmes i would on bigger jumps which was weird. obviuosly i still cant get the landing down cause then i'd be riding switch

if i'm not correct its like your winding up and when you pop off you lead with your shoulders and then your body will follow into it and hopefully you make it safe.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:18am
Originally posted by JAMM0N

i didn't get enough speed of jumps and did like not even full 180 and get stuck and sometmes i would on bigger jumps which was weird. obviuosly i still cant get the landing down cause then i'd be riding switch

if i'm not correct its like your winding up and when you pop off you lead with your shoulders and then your body will follow into it and hopefully you make it safe.

A. I don't even know why you bumped this dead thread.

B. I don't know why you are giving trick advice, when you even stated yourself that you cannot do a 180. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:30am
my brain works exactly the same way as the OP: 

backside spins are easy enough for me that I don't even really have to think about doing them. 

With frontside spins, I have to quickly plan everything out in my head, depending on the size/angle of the jump....and I still frequently land with a feeling of being out of control.  Unlike BS, on FS I have to think about my set-up turn/arm wind-up, how much edge I'm digging into the lip and where my head is going to face throughout the spin.

What I learned from the snowboard addiction video is your keep you head facing forward the entire time on a FS1 (unlike a BS1, where you basically land facing backwards..."blind"). What I learned on my own is to go easy on the edge (unlike BS, where the edge isn't as critical).  Going easy on the edge keeps the board stable/flatter in the air, so you don't land as weird.

easy on edge + face forward = FS1
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

B. I don't know why you are giving trick advice, when you even stated yourself that you cannot do a 180. 

jammon gives advice all the time on shit he knows nothing about... get them points bitch!!!
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 8:57am
i can do 180's

i'm just in the process of practicing it off jumps is all.

points thats funny out of all things you would say points. douche

http://youtu.be/Q-qcVU88aaY
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 9:43am

i can do 180's 

no, you can't do 180's... from your own mouth.  And who bumps 3 month old dead threads with a garbage post if not for points? douche

Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 9:45am

Come on now, let's keep it civil.

RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

No cussing, no flaming, polite, considerate...

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you've found inner peace this season.
Did you google it?
ChuckJohns View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Dreams await..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 10:15am
ya man no need to yell at each other and call names. Hes obviously trying to help. Just stick with the helping each other. If you can do them on the ground it is almost the exact same thing. Try just not popping as much so you dont overspin it.
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 11:21am
i dont care if i bump an old thread. a thread is a thread and i'm still learning hence why i even read this thread and responded to it.

if your not going to help get out.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 11:34am
 [/QUOTE]no, you can't do 180's... from your own mouth.  And who bumps 3 month old dead threads with a garbage post if not for points?[/QUOTE]

I have seen him do 180s.. so yes he can do 180s.  U can stop now.. U lose LOL
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by kikko

i can do 180's 

i didn't get enough speed of jumps and did like not even full 180 and get stuck and sometmes i would on bigger jumps which was weird. obviuosly i still cant get the landing down cause then i'd be riding switch 

no, you can't do 180's... from your own mouth.  And who bumps 3 month old dead threads with a garbage post if not for points? douche

If you read it more carefully, it seems as if he is saying that he can't quite get them down on jumps yet.  Jumps are not the only thing one needs to do a 180, 360, or even 540s.  Also, if one can get the rotation down but is having issues ONLY with the landing due to lack of practice in switch riding, they are still doing everything else correct.  Also, it sounds as if he is having issues getting the landing down perfect every time.  You have guys that go 1 for 10 and others that go 10 for 10.  Both can do the trick, one is simply more CONSISTENT than the other.  That's what separates guys like us from the pros.  As MD said YOU LOSE.  So stop being a clusterfuck, sit your ass down, and shut your mouth.

PEACE!
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 11:47am
EVERYBODY sit down, chill out, stop being childish and get this thread BACK ON TOPIC
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 12:11pm

i dont care if i bump an old thread. a thread is a thread and i'm still learning hence why i even read this thread and responded to it.

if your not going to help get out.

Totally, just because a thread isn't from this week doesn't make it any less valid.  I don't sit and stare at the screen all day waiting for a new thread to get posted, a lot of them can get past.  Shouldn't mean you can't put your two cents in on the topic.  Besides, I didn't see an expiration date on the threadLOL

The forums are here so we can learn from each other and share our perspectives and experiences.  If we can't do that then there's no point in having the forums on here.

As far as the topic goes of spins though.  I'll say it time and time again- snowboardaddition.com

I'm waiting for my testies to drop so I can try rotations off bigger jumps, but watching the SA vids on spinning (and all the other toots) have helped me big time.  I can do 3's off smaller hits (or like today, off the side of a huge booter), and it's all due to SA.  I'd been trying 3's with no success for a couple seasons, then I watched the videos and found out about counter rotation, setup carving, and building a solid edge going into the spin.  Check 'em out, well worth it.
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 3:12pm
definitely will check it out SnowJ

from my perspective when heading towards the jump

for a backside, never started doing frontside for some odd reason.

but anyways go from heel then toe then jump and rotate (still hard to say which part rotates first) and when i land i should be riding switch, but i have to ride away clean like MTpow said in order to be a successful landing
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 2:13pm
For backside rotations, I ollie off the tail; but for frontside rotations, I've found that popping a bit off the nose (nollie) helps more. I don't know why, but having more weight over my front foot helps with frontside rotations.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 6:14pm
I can barely do a 180 while not moving and barely a 90 while moving but that does me no good because always eating an edge haha.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply