Writing Quality Reviews!!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 234

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
imurdaddy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote imurdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Quality Reviews!!
    Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 8:03pm
Don't post reviews just to get points post reviews to actually help people would you like it if you looked at a review and then bought the product and it didn't meet what you wanted !
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by imurdaddy

Don't post reviews just to get points post reviews to actually help people would you like it if you looked at a review and then bought the product and it didn't meet what you wanted !

Says the kid that just 5 and outed in just over 10 minutes, made up an entire thread devoted to "what free t-shirt should I get" and made a duplicate super bowl thread when the first one was halfway down the "poplar community" page and then logged off......

You do have a point though, you should only write reviews to help people. Carry on...
jillsey18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jillsey18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 3:32am
I enjoy writing the reviews on some of the products that I have purchased, however am frustrated that they have all been mrked as spam. I admit the first few reviews I did weren't that great, but felt as I read the advice in this forum, that my last few reviews were not spam worthy. I rated a new Burton Snowboard Jacket as I felt appropriate, because it is the best jacket I've ever owned, and it was spammed. Can I see why it was marked as spam? Any other pointers on writing a good review? I'm timid in writing any more reviews because I'm nervous they will be marked as spam.

thanks all
Jillsey18
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 3:48am
^ For tips on writing quality reviews go back to the very first post in this thread.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:40am
Originally posted by jillsey18

I enjoy writing the reviews on some of the products that I have purchased, however am frustrated that they have all been mrked as spam. I admit the first few reviews I did weren't that great, but felt as I read the advice in this forum, that my last few reviews were not spam worthy. I rated a new Burton Snowboard Jacket as I felt appropriate, because it is the best jacket I've ever owned, and it was spammed. Can I see why it was marked as spam? Any other pointers on writing a good review? I'm timid in writing any more reviews because I'm nervous they will be marked as spam.

thanks all
Jillsey18

Heres a post i wrote to someone else today to explain the ways to avoid the flag :) It might help:

1. Talk about the product. Sounds easy. Youd be surprised. No one really cares that your mate thinks its the bestest shirt ever or that it couldnt fit in your locker. They dont know what your taste is, nor the dimensions of your locker. Since we arent selling best friends who think this style of shirt is awesome, its probably best to not pad your review out with random stuff. Dont get me wrong, pad away if its an already extensive review and you just want to add color to it, but dont make the padding the core part of your tale here. 
2. If you havent used it, dont write a review on it.
3. Follow up: If you havent used it in the terrain its supposed to be used then please, just dont. Its annoying. Head to my account! You see those spam flags i have on reviews? I flagged them? You know why? Reason 3. If im flagging my own reviews for breaking this rule, im flagging yours too.
4. Never ever post a thread on an item that you clearly havent used. If youre listing yourself as a guy, about 180lbs, and your review history consists of boards in the 161 range, i dont really want to know your opinion on a 147 space metal fantasy. I dont want to know "your girlfriend"s opinion either through the prism of your account. If she rides it, she can tell me all about it herself by starting an account. This keeps things nice and simple since i dont have to then look for bullshit giveaways that show youre just talking out your ass.
5. Tell me something... ANYTHING... that shows youve actually used the item. Repeating key phrases from the public blurb does nothing, saying "i rode this" does nothing. These are not what a review is about. You using something is a prerequisite for you to even starting your review. See number 2 for confirmation on this point.
6. If you cant figure out what to say about a product, dont review it. Youll just lose a flag and it rings you one step closer to locking you out for good.
7. Unless you are an absolute MASTER of the written word, a one sentence review on a snowboard isnt going to cut it. Sure, some people can condense a thousand thoughts into a single sentence, but that sentence better be the stuff of pure Beckett (which means massive run ons as well as a liberal use of the semi colon over the full stop). Chances are though, you aint one of them. I am. But I am somewhat annoying. So short and sweet for the purposes of illustration. Thus, leading by example. Stop!   
8. Get some days on your product before you review it. Most people dont elly review product for a living so dont really know what they want to say about it. The incentive of FIVE WHOLE POINTS will drive them to review it nonetheless. Theyll screw it up, fill it full of random details that no one looking to purchase the product cares about, and bish bosh! Review done! Theyre often amazed at the flag. Use the product a few times though and i PROMISE YOU, you wont struggle for things to talk about. 
9. You dont need to write an ode to your snowboard boots. Short is fine, but you better err on the side of caution with short reviews and make damn well sure it says 3 or 4 things about the product that i dont know just from looking at the picture/product blurb.

And number 10. Arbitrary stopping point, but this is the absolute main point.

10. The review is not about YOU. Nor is it FOR YOU. Its for TruSnow to help potential customers by providing a direct, hands on description of the product. The product blurb can only tell you so much about a product. People need more information than "this is the greatest board ever!!!" from the manufacturer. Thats where you come in. Your "job" is to take that product blurb, take all those preconceptions you had about the board or whatever, spend some time using it, then RE-EVALUATE those perceptions based upon your hands on experience with the board. The point is for you to help someone who hasnt used the board get an idea of what its about based upon your experience (and other peoples experiences) of the board in order to give them a vague idea of how theyll find the board based on their preconceptions and needs. No review is really going to tell someone the truth about a product, but the more decent reviews, the more chance theyll get an idea of whats going on. 

Making a great review is really damn easy so long as you stick to the product, dont talk about ancillary crap that has nothing to do with it, USE it for a decent amount of time exactly where its supposed to be used and TARGETING it at someone who has no experience of the product, helping them to fill in some of the details and get some kind of idea on where it lives up to the hype as well as where it doesnt. Aim your review at mystery shopper X instead of you and youll find the review pretty much writes itself. 

ETA: A couple more just to round it out a bit: 

m00m
jillsey18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jillsey18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 4:16am
Thanks for your feedback ippollite
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 4:40am
Originally posted by jillsey18

Thanks for your feedback ippollite

That's what she posted but here's what she was thinking:

Damn, what a long-winded reply.  Who the hell is this ippollite character and why does he drone on and on and on?  It took me less time to read War and Peace.  Seriously, I just wanted a simple explanation and a few tips, not Colet's Catalan culture speech...

Wink
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 2:00pm
compared to my mighty fingers, War and Peace is a mere coloring book! 
m00m
amber View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 6:09pm
very nice post
amber
Corza202 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Hammocks are a way of life

Quote Corza202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 2:11am
Ok so far I have written three reviews each of them on headphones. And I guess looking back I may have been able to cut out some of the stuff I wrote about and kept it to the basics. After reading this thread I am going to make sure I do this in all my reviews from now on.
punitallstar3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sunglass display i made at work

Quote punitallstar3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2013 at 7:46am
the reviews should be simple and helpful in my opinion.  some products like clothing do not need to be over descriptive.  "leave elegance to the tailor"
CHECKMATE!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234