Writing Quality Reviews!!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
taseen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote taseen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Quality Reviews!!
    Posted: Dec/31/2010 at 5:31am
great tips
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Quote Kona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2011 at 6:42pm
This should be incorporated into the review page as a guidelined and also should be sent in the introduction email! 

Let's go make some good reviews!
criddlenation View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote criddlenation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 9:29pm
I've often wondered about the purpose of having the "I want this item" option. It seems counter-intuitive to have an option for people to write quality reviews about things they do not own or have not tried.
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eschmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by criddlenation

I've often wondered about the purpose of having the "I want this item" option. It seems counter-intuitive to have an option for people to write quality reviews about things they do not own or have not tried.

I don't see anything wrong with the "I want this item" option if used appropriatly. Could be possible that someone has used an item from a friend or demo day and has a worthy review. This could work on many items and be an issue for something that may require more than a few uses to get a quality opinion about.
Myke_Hawke View Drop Down
Local
Local
My 2004 STi with 575 AWHP

Quote Myke_Hawke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 10:02am
mmm that's strange because I've left reviews with this kind of information and I find them under my "spam" reviews, granted all of them may not have carried your desired weight but when I purchase a product from your site and I leave a review on after use and it gets marked as spam and taken down it seems counter intuitive for me to bother wasting my time on them when I only get points taken away and lose the ability to leave a review which has happened. It's funny I sign on in January and I have lost lots of points and apparently ALL my reviews marked as spam. 

Scotty
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Myke_Hawke

mmm that's strange because I've left reviews with this kind of information and I find them under my "spam" reviews, granted all of them may not have carried your desired weight but when I purchase a product from your site and I leave a review on after use and it gets marked as spam and taken down it seems counter intuitive for me to bother wasting my time on them when I only get points taken away and lose the ability to leave a review which has happened. It's funny I sign on in January and I have lost lots of points and apparently ALL my reviews marked as spam. 

I don't think you would lose the ability to review, you just won't get points for them.

And 400+ points for brand reviews? c'mon now.

ksmountain View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ksmountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 7:53am
Interesting question: Don't staff reviews artificially manipulate a products score?

The staff at Sie...Trusnow review products sold at Sierra, even Sierra boards. Often, several employees, Doug included, will conduct a review (I'm thinking Sierra boards). There is a conflict of interest here...the staff has a professional obligation to sell their product, but that produces questions about their reliability as objective reviewers.

I'm not calling the staff liars--in fact, I know very well it's their job to sell...and I am confident that they are as honest as possible within the limitations. But it's hard to imagine Doug getting on here review the RC and being like, "Sorry bros, this board is distinctly inferior to competitor reverse camber all mountain boards, etc." or even just a lukewarm, "Eh, this board is ok, but not great."

Yet, the star rating from staff are calculated in the product's score. So Doug, for ex., gives the Stunt 5 stars. The Stunt may well deserve 5 stars and Doug is certainly more qualified than I to rate it, but since it seems like Doug CAN'T get on and give it, say, 3 or 2 stars it seems like the staff are forced to be a kind of product sunshine-pumpers.

It might be the case that if Doug can't give a product a good rating, he simply doesn't rate it all. But that can't possibly be publicly helpful. After all, how are we to know which products the staff has not rated because they haven't tested it and which ones they haven't rated because it kinda sucks?

In general, I appreciate Doug's and others reviews, so please don't take offense. But I wonder how others think about these "institutional reviews", which have the irony of coming from people who are more qualified than the general public to assess products but are simultaneously more constrained.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 8:18am
Hmmm. Conspiracy is afoot! Isn't that like Mickey D's giving you a copy of Super Size Me as you get your order at the drive up window. Or come on down to Subway and try our new sandwich because it taste like cat shiz! No company is going to advertise that their products suck. Plus you can always read the other 8000 reviews not by the staff telling you how sick a product is.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 11:10am
I personally ignore the star ratings, but perhaps that's just me. And I appreciate that there's at least some transparency in knowing the reviewer is staff and therefore *might* have some bias (though just because they're staff doesn't mean they have to write 5 star reviews. Doug and Donald both gave the regular crew 4 stars.) There's no way you can eliminate all bias from a review, and I'm sure there's plenty you don't know about. Who's to say the stellar review you read on a Rome Pusher isn't some Rome rep using the anonymity of the internet to boost interest in their product? Or that the negative reviews aren't being done in the same fashion? It's really a law of averages, and you have to take every review with a grain of salt. That said, it helps that Doug writes expansive, thorough and specific reviews that really talk to the strengths of a product, and that is probably why they garner so much attention. 
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 11:16am
My eyes are burning from reading so many horrible one liner reviews especially from new members.

My blahblah let me use this and it's cool!  Buy it!

This blahblah sucks!  Don't buy it!

I look so cool wearing this blahblah!  So cool!

Dead
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 5:31am
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=314891

someone flag all his review. He obiously is here just for the points. 200points almost in 2 days. fishy fishy
Goldberg13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Goldberg13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 5:48am
You get like 90 something points for changing all of your profile information. He probably just reviewed all of the equipment he owns. Its not like he reviewed 10 pairs of gloves. He reviewed 2 jackets, pants, gloves, a board, and bindings. I have more than two jackets, but they arn't on the site so I can't review them :(   /cry

Edit: But they are terrible reviews. Everything is "warm and durable"
SuperEdit: I'm more suspicious of him being 6'0 and 125 lbs.
What is this "snowboarding" everyone speaks of.
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Codeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 5:53am
I've really noticed an influx of horrible ones lately. I think there should be minimum amount of words or something like that. Saying "looks cool, works great" is not a review. Talking about fit, finish, use, details, features, etc. is. Dead
Goldberg13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Goldberg13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 5:55am
TS should get a group of long time members who would be willing to "review" reviews before they are published and people are awarded points.
What is this "snowboarding" everyone speaks of.
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Goldberg13

TS should get a group of long time members who would be willing to "review" reviews before they are published and people are awarded points.

I'd gladly volunteer for that. It absolutely drives me nuts when people write half-ass reviews such as"it looks cool in the store" Thanks for nothing but wasting my time.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Ejekted

Originally posted by Goldberg13

I'd gladly volunteer for that. It absolutely drives me nuts when people write half-ass reviews such as"it looks cool in the store" Thanks for nothing but wasting my time.

Totally agree!  I've been flagging like crazy because their crappy reviews takes up the whole screen and I still see that those people haven't been flagged by the staff or expert members.
javabean View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote javabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2011 at 5:09pm
Are there any review reading expert roles? Dibs on that job if it doesn't exist
stormhunter9 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote stormhunter9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:20am
man i so agree people make reviews on stuff and they dont even know what it is so its not an honest review.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:27am
stormhunter9 Lamar Tripper Snowboard - Mens stormhunter9 - Lamar Tripper Snowboard - Men's
nice

nice design and affordable awesome!!!
Helpful Review?   (0) Yes    (0) No review - 9 minutes ago

Kinda like that?
imnotacartoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote imnotacartoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:29am
that's such a great review, it's made me want to rush out and buy that exact bag, thanks stormhunter9!
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by mrrorydigital

stormhunter9 Lamar Tripper Snowboard - Mens stormhunter9 - Lamar Tripper Snowboard - Men's
nice

nice design and affordable awesome!!!
Helpful Review?   (0) Yes    (0) No review - 9 minutes ago

Kinda like that?

I actually flagged the worst of his reviews about 5 minutes before you pointed out this gem.... But I resisted the urge to keep flagging after the first.
imnotacartoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote imnotacartoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:34am
eek, clearly I meant snowboard, not bag.

Is the only way to report silly reviews like the one above by clicking the no button?
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by imnotacartoon

eek, clearly I meant snowboard, not bag.

Is the only way to report silly reviews like the one above by clicking the no button?

Correct-- if 5 people click the "No" then it flags it as spam. 
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Myke_Hawke

most of your spam reviews were for women's products... 
Magulley View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nananananana!

Quote Magulley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 6:00pm

I think only about 5% of all the reviews are trustworthy and legit.  If you click the reviews tab on the community feed its just random names who review 3 items within 5 minutes. It's so aggravating.

andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 6:24pm
we need to get snow4life banned hes up around 100 reviews and is really a pain in the chat.. also made me think he was buying my old board for about 20 days
N8dog454 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote N8dog454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 3:48pm
Agree 100% It is about time people learn how to write reviews. So thankful for this forum.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2011 at 12:45pm
I just started reviewing/posting in the forums.  I like most, if not all, of you can't stand bad reviews.  Personally, I am really trying to make my reviews well stated and full of useful information.

I've been trying to find a new Coat for my wife, and I'd say 95% of female reviews are: "makes you look cute" or a variation thereof, it is really, REALLY frustrating, hence my reasoning for clicking on this thread to begin with.

My problem is this:  Homers gonna' hate on your reviews.  Example:  if I write a negative review about a super-popular item (imagine knocking on the Burton Moto, or the Sierra RCrew), even if it is well stated and nicely informed, the people who think it is the best product ever are going to give me a "no" in a heartbeat.  Pow!  My quality review gets marked as spam, and I look like a tool.

Thoughts?
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by andrethegiant

we need to get snow4life banned hes up around 100 reviews and is really a pain in the chat.. also made me think he was buying my old board for about 20 days

Haha, he posts questions in pretty much everyone's classified ad and never buys but no surprise since he is like 15 year old and is a point hussy. 

I don't think anybody will flag your review if it is negative even if the person is a hardcore lover of that brand, but they might certainly post a response to your review. 
Brent View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 4:02am
yes people! You have to test it to write a review!!
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 4:05am
thanks for the tips
Brent View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 7:44am
How come all of the sudden i have 10 bad reviews????????
boarder123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote boarder123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2011 at 1:03pm
thanks very helpful!
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote beunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2011 at 3:19pm
On a similar note, you should talk about brand reviews. I want to see something YOU wrote, not just checking off the options TruSnow gives you. Snow4life and East4life (suspect? they comment on the same threads, similar names and used to have the same location) have shown up on every brand review page I have seen, and this is what they all look like. After seeing them, I went to his page and it appears he has reviewed almost every brand in this way
http://www.trusnow.com/profile_reviews.asp?PF=289373&view=brandreviews
this is useless when I'm trying to learn about the quality of their product or customer service
weissenfluh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Timberline (Mt. Hood), Freshies in May 2010

Quote weissenfluh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 1:17pm
Thank you for the advice. I will be more descriptive in the future.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 12:58pm
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=162908

post flagging require Experts!!
Tad45 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Tad45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 4:30pm
true
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 3:20am
Originally posted by Tad45

true
Welcome to the TruSnow Forum.  Please put a little more effort in your post.  One word posts or posts that are completely irrelevant to the topic will be flagged as spam.
chaldokid501 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chaldokid501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 4:13pm
Great post. I personally base a lot of my purchases on reviews and research. People please actually take the time to analyze an item, don't just say "greatest i've ever used"! that's just stupid..
4Gman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Don't feed the hipsters.

Quote 4Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by dlaw

One word posts or posts that are completely irrelevant to the topic will be flagged as spam.

Funny.
Because one word (SPAM) to describe an inadequate review is useless feedback. How does that help an individual improve future reviews? What would be helpful is to actually describe the reason it was marked as spam. Maybe link to this page?
*edit fix quote
4Gman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Don't feed the hipsters.

Quote 4Gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 8:10am
Also. When writing a review the link intended to provide a good example of reviews leads to a blank page. (firefox 3.6.13)

ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 8:14am
Yeah man those are some real good ideas! 
DonkeyButt4Me View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote DonkeyButt4Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 8:31am
Originally posted by gsrrr

Originally posted by jhoang6

@ angrymidget Yo
What sort of things are you looking for in a review for socks?
Socks are socks...what more can you say about them?

Then don't review them?

Not everything needs a review.

I know this sounds stupid but I'd actually love a sock review.  I have great big crazy sized calves and time and time again I buy a sock that's far too narrow for a person that doesn't have chicken legs and has some muscle.

That being said - if there is something TO say about them... then do it.

for example:
If you have muscular calves, these socks may not fit properly.  Maybe try xxx brand instead.

or:
These socks are great for most riding conditions, however they are very thick, so if you prefer thinner socks, or are looking for a sock to wear in the spring, these are not for you.

Etc... the point being... any review should be value adding, and if it's not... don't review it.
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 4:12am
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=312385

crappy reviews
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 12:11pm
review flagging required

http://www.trusnow.com/profile_points.asp?PF=317701
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 8:51am
Wow... A big slew of bad reviews out this weekend.  
I believe the old Snow4Life has changed his name (not his pic though).  There were two hoody reviews posted by this individual with in a few minutes.  Both of them stated they were his "go to hoody."
Is there a bad review hammer out there that Doug and the rest of the experts can swing?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Quote Nachitox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 12:22pm
My last review was in English and Spanish.
International reviews, I think thats a good tip 
Argentinian rider!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2011 at 6:29pm
Dang... I just realized I'm turning into the review police.  Sorry guys, I'll slow down, but check this gem out: 

aecho1231
Lift Op.
Height: 5'8
Weight: 180 lbs
Board Size: 157
picking up speed
Member Points: 194
Reviews: 14

Was my review helpful?Yes  No 
"Amazing Board" 3/12/2011

Helpful Review?   (0) Yes    (1) No 

• Name: 2011 Burton Custom Snowboard - Men's
  • Skill:  Intermediate
  • Pros:  Light Weight, Killer Graphics, Top Coat Shell
  • Cons:  Binding System,

Experience:   Had a chance to take a look at this upclose today at the Snowboarding shop, and I must say I am quite impressed. It looks as though the binding system is a strip? I didn't get a chance to really ask questions, but it looks to be a problem with my standard holes. The board itself, looks amazing. The graphics are bright and vivid, and I tested the flex, it definitly has some pop to it. Retail I think it was 525 today, with 40% off at The Loft. So I would say, try to find this at your local store
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2011 at 6:53pm
ok, this thread is about tips for writing quality reviews... not about spam!

there another thread that deals specificallyl with spam...
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

ok, this thread is about tips for writing quality reviews... not about spam!

there another thread that deals specificallyl with spam...

where do l find this anti spam thread?

meanwhile hes another individual that requires some
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=210515
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>