Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mr3vak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the beast inside is out

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mr3vak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Quality Reviews!!
    Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 7:24pm
Yeah it would be really nice if when I go to read a review it doesnt just say some thing like, great *blank* and looks cool.

Something thats describes what makes the *blank* so great or not so great.
mr3vak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the beast inside is out

Quote mr3vak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 7:28pm
yeah whats up with this guys profile. seems to have either bought or rode everything Sierra offers!

hacks?!
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2011 at 5:04am
well, very usefull topic... But guys often ignore these requirements..
Push hard and you'll reach the top
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2011 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by winn

Originally posted by derbytownjoe

ok, this thread is about tips for writing quality reviews... not about spam!

there another thread that deals specificallyl with spam...

where do l find this anti spam thread?

meanwhile hes another individual that requires some
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=210515

http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25537
Lewdog21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Lewdog21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2011 at 9:40am
Well put. I don't see the point in being biased towards any one brand. Base reviews on performance, feel, anddurability.
XxboardKingxX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote XxboardKingxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 5:56am
people just need to tell legit reviews that can help others!!
jdix View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jdix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2011 at 10:38pm
Appreciate it Doug.
GnarGirl View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote GnarGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:02am
Originally posted by jdix

Appreciate it Doug.

What an ironic post. This kid's reviews are horrible. He should be blocked from writing reviews. He has one that says. "
Hard to go wrong with these bad boys... get em." That's his whole review. Please go flag this guy people. Wish I could flag his posts too.
njironman6 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Standing Sideways

Quote njironman6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by GnarGirl

Originally posted by jdix

Appreciate it Doug.

What an ironic post. This kid's reviews are horrible. He should be blocked from writing reviews. He has one that says. "
Hard to go wrong with these bad boys... get em." That's his whole review. Please go flag this guy people. Wish I could flag his posts too.

LOL good looks I hate those kinds of reviews.
gxsnowboard View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gxsnowboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2011 at 9:54pm
I agree. I won't write a review for a product if I don't really understand it. that's not helpful for other viwers.
gat1555 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gat1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 6:45am
mabey now people can write good reviews lol
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 6:46am
Originally posted by gat1555

Umm... Have you read your own reviews?  
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 7:10am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Originally posted by gat1555

Umm... Have you read your own reviews?  

comon now, dont be mean. l see at least 1 useful one... sorta....
gmarek07 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Las LeƱas 2011

Quote gmarek07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2011 at 4:25am
the reviews system it's really important... helps me a lot to decide & compare products I want to buy ! thanks !
AmyLynne View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AmyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 3:57pm
So true! There really should be some rule about not being able to review products you've only watched someone else use.  I mean, I want stylish stuff, but not if it doesn't perform well!
ccroks View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ccroks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 6:11am
yeah bad reviews suck
trewyn15 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 6:19am
Originally posted by ccroks

yeah bad reviews suck

so do all your short, useless posts, you've posted twice and i don't like you already.
jrvaughn13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Went snowboarding at Badger Pass in Yosemite. Great week!

Quote jrvaughn13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 12:35pm
Yeah, pointless forum posts are even worse than pointless reviews in my opinion because they tend to get people off topic and then the conversation starts suckig and people lose interest.
ksobon View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ksobon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 12:42pm
yeah that is a great idea! i made the mistake of writing a pointless review once, but the more i read other's review the more i feel like they hould be giving us more than just "yeah it looks great!"...please write quality reviews!
brettg34 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
LIBerated

Quote brettg34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 1:24pm
I dont see how people can try to write a review on a product THEY didn't personally use.... How accurate could that be??
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by brettg34

I dont see how people can try to write a review on a product THEY didn't personally use.... How accurate could that be??

they cant be....
and thats why they usually get spammed.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 10:49pm
Its actually pretty easy. Here, let me write a review on the rome agent rocker.

I took this board all over my local mountain, its stable, has effortless pop (its got a nice big sweet spot), it can handle pretty much anything you throw at it and it wont wash or fold out on you. I wasnt a big fan of c2 since it comes with mtx (if albeit mellowed down), but romes version of it really makes for a playful fun ride. Sure, its a little less poppier and aggressive than both C2 and R+C and maybe its a bit too high [or low, im making this shit up] to feel like a genuine hybrid, but honestly, they have it DIALED IN for cruising and mucking around. If you want a do it all board with a bit of a lean towards fun and freestyle, or you just want a board that turns the whole resort into a massive park feature without having to worry about washing or the board folding or sliding out, then you HAVE to get on this. Its a sick deck. Hell, i havent even mentioned how smooth it feels in pow. Believe me, when itdrops, youll be smiling your god damned face off! This board is your honest to god do it all quiver killer! it rips, it jibs, it pops, and it slays everything the resort has to offer. Seriously, pick it up now!

There you go: Factory assembled generic 'jack of all trades' board review. Way more informative than about 80% of the shit out there, and yet not a bit of it is true or based on anything i actually legitimately know about the board. I have NO IDEA how good it is in ANY terrain. I havent ridden it, none of my friends have. Ive barely read anyone on here talking about it. Its a DODDLE. Of course, if i was sly, id go have a look at the rome page and then throw in some of their buzz words and say some shit like "and it really delivers! you [rephrase market spiel] and it does exactly that!" 

Generic reviewing is a piece of piss. I could game the shit out of this system no problem. But i dont, because im not evil... Instead i tell you on forums all about boards ive never ridden like i have some kind of actual knowledge on them, based entirely on their stats and some reviews other people wrote about them. EXPERT!!! (at spinning a bit of a yarn to be honest) :p
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 11:31pm
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED (DTJ just challenged me in chat to write a bullshit review of a beanie). 

Rightyo, lets pick the first beanie from burton i can find. Why burton? Why the hell not? 

Step 1: read all the other reviews and rewrite the gist... thats too easy though, so ill pick one with hardly any reviews. 

Ive had this for a few months now, its not exactly my favourite beanie out there and doesnt really have much going for it, but it does the basics. Its really the other stuff though that makes me give it a bit of a poor score. The first problem i had with it was the stitching in the label. It didnt take long before it started leaving a massive hole right next to it. Thankfully trhe inner layer is still intact though. Im not sure what they do, but this is definitely not the first burton beanie ive had thats done this. Secondly, it did kinda lose  its shape really quickly. I dont have a particularly big head, and i havent used it all that much to be honest, but it feels like im swimming in acrylic here. The design wasnt entirely flattering to begin with (it felt a touch big), but now it looks pretty much shapeless. Finally though, and on a but more positive note, we come to the representation. It looks kinda bland in the picture - a brown beanie with a few yellow x-stitches. But once it arrived i was pleasantly surprised to find the colors were far more vivid and rich than the picture maybe leads you to believe. Its actually looks FAR FAR better in real life! So overall i think its alright for those first few times, but youll probably chuck it in the back of the cupboard once it starts losing its shape. For the price? probably about right if im honest. 

*** (out of 5).

Always be extremely suspicious of peoples reviews out there. Its easy to make shit up. And when you have a system that gives you an incentive to do it, well, you know... Keep a critical eye, bullshit isnt as easy to spot as you might think :) 

m00m
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 11:42pm
so in the meantime is that what we were trying to accomplish here is say that it IS possible to do a decent review of somethings, but please dont do a "it looks cool, ive got a big head and it fits"

IF, and thats a big if, you decide to review a beanie.... please consider that we all know what a beanie is and what it does (keeps your head warm, derp!), so take some time to tell us something about THIS PARTICULAR beanie and why it is that you like it or dont like it......

" its warm and looks great" is not acceptable!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 3:00am
I'm afraid to write a review now with the high standards being set. I'm not the greatest wordsmith so next time I do review something I'll try to get an editor and proof reader to make sure it's top notch.  
I think it'd be nice if someone finds a review they don't feel is top notch to maybe write the reviewer and tell them where they could improve it before it gets flagged.  I'm not talking about the obvious- "It looks cool." type review that obviously is just a point grab, but ppl that tried to write a half way decent review but came up short.  Not everyone is good at translating how they feel about a product.  Some ppl are just bad at communication.
This forum is helpful as to what ppl are looking for in a review, but if someone doesn't write a perfect review I don't think we should jump down their throat right off the bat.  Now dude that just tried to lay down reviews (yesterday) for like 5 pair of bindings he obviously never used, that's a different story...
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 3:14am
the problem with asking ppl to rework or rewrite their review is this.... there is no edit function for the reviews.... 
so either its gonna get flagged or its not.....

so take a few moments to figure out what you want to write and write it well the first time.
H,Bros View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
DOA

Quote H,Bros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 4:50pm
It would be sweet to have an option to post a pic of what you are reviewing so people know if you actually have it and or the set up.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 5:05pm

the problem with asking ppl to rework or rewrite their review is this.... there is no edit function for the reviews.... 
so either its gonna get flagged or its not.....

so take a few moments to figure out what you want to write and write it well the first time.

There's been a ton lately where they say "I haven't used these yet, I'll get back to you."
So, they're trying to get 10 points out of the same item?? 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 8:39pm
How would  "I haven't used these yet, I'll get back to you." be considered a review.
that should surely be marked as spam

btw there SHOULD be an edit button for your own reviews.
ie..you liked it at first then started to develop a hate relationship with that product
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 9:40pm
that is also why you shouldnt write a rewview, until you have used the item for a while, very thoroughly! this gives you time to develop your love-hate relationship....

no need to edit, just take the time first to use it first before reviewing it.
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 9:46am
I really like the new layout that adds bike, skateboarding, and all that at the top but it wont let me review the skateboarding section. I click on write a review and it refreshes the page.
Just wondering if it is blocked from reviewing skateboarding stuff or it is a glitch or something is wrong with my computer.
The skateboarding stuff it sold at good prices here and it would be cool to see TruSnow become a bigger website for online shopping.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 11:40am
its probably because theyre still messing with adding new stuff
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 5:30pm

Okay. But they will put it up eventually?
Idk maybe they don't want people reviewing skateboarding stuff just because its mostly a snowboarding website..
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by humblerooster

Okay. But they will put it up eventually?
Idk maybe they don't want people reviewing skateboarding stuff just because its mostly a snowboarding website..

I havent heard anything about it yet... maybe they will, but maybe not...

it would however make it a million times harder on us... as theres is THAT much more to scan through.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 11:55am
I notice they're are some international users writing reviews in spanish how would anyone know if the reviews is legit and not a way to rank points just because it's not written in english to discourage others from looking more into it,I know there is google translation n etc but no one has all that time to interpret it and filter the spam because of the language barrier.
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by bootleg

I notice they're are some international users writing reviews in spanish how would anyone know if the reviews is legit and not a way to rank points just because it's not written in english to discourage others from looking more into it,I know there is google translation n etc but no one has all that time to interpret it and filter the spam because of the language barrier.

Dude, you don't need all the time to interpret it. It's called Google Translate. Takes couple seconds. Copy and paste and there you go. Problem solved.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 3:45am
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

]

Dude, you don't need all the time to interpret it. It's called Google Translate. Takes couple seconds. Copy and paste and there you go. Problem solved.

HAHAHA thats prolly the funniest thing ive heard all week. 

just to show you why online translators are such great tools [/sarcasm]
take this to google and translate it from german to english....

Meine Nachbarin hat Kohlmeisen, Aber was macht Ein Hahn auf Meinem Esel?

The "normal" translation would be, "My neighbor has chickadees, but what is that rooster doing on my donkey?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 4:03am
Originally posted by ChiTownRon
Dude, you don't need all the time to translate* it. It's called Google Translate. Takes couple seconds. Copy and paste and there you go. Problem solved. 
*translating is on paper, while interpreting is oral translation!

HAHAHA thats prolly the funniest thing ive heard all week. 

just to show you why online translators are such great tools [/sarcasm]
take this to google and translate it from german to english....

Meine Nachbarin hat Kohlmeisen, Aber was macht Ein Hahn auf Meinem Esel?

The "normal" translation would be, "My neighbor has chickadees, but what is that rooster doing on my donkey?
willo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Cerro Bayo - Patagonia

Quote willo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 5:31am
Hello. I usually write reviews at Spanish. I could do it in English but do not speak the language and translators are not entirely accurate, that you can see it in this comment in which I used an online translator. In addition, most of the reviews are in English. I think it is more useful to write a review to Spanish that one among hundreds in English. If we observe well, Spain has nearly a thousand users in this forum and also are Latin Americans. I am a client of this trade from 2009 and entertains me give my opinion or advice, as well as others like control reviews without having ever made a purchase on this site. There are also expert users in this forum, which dominate the Spanish and English and can let them work to verify if the reviews on Spanish have an acceptable content. No one is angry, is just to clarify. Best regards
BearsWife View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote BearsWife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:25pm
I get what you are saying but I have tons of gear that I got before I ever found this website and I'm guessing a lot of others have the same.
BearsWife View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote BearsWife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:26pm
lol
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:31pm
   /\
  //\\
   ||
   ||
                Hammer Time!

Edit: wow... that was quick.. the hammers of justice and clean threads swing swiftly.
chonky9 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
chonk dizzal

Quote chonky9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 5:32am
thank you every one who writes quality reviews. very help full. i almost bought a stomp pad because it looked cool. after reading the reviews i found that the stomp pad was crap and didn't stick well. i bought one that got high reviews and love it. thanks
nieve5552 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nieve5552 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 1:58pm
Yeah i think this review system is awesome too, it benefits the giver and the receiver at the same time.
Although I do think it would be better for people especially the ones whos actually used the product to write a detailed review for the future buyers. Youd want to find out every good and bad thing about something youre gonna buy before you spend your precious money on it right? I try to write very detailed reviews and just put down all kinds of thoughts I have on the product
Huckster92 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
One of the first days of 2010 Season!

Quote Huckster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the helpful info!
GoldDragon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GoldDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 9:34am
Thanks Doug for the tip!!!!!
yaya34 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Evil Monkeys Not So Evil After All

Quote yaya34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 4:07am
Doug,

I have read this post before and I actually emailed you about this exact topic. I understand you are busy but I would really like to get my review privileges back. I have purchased so much stuff from TruSnow over the years and see myself as a dedicated part of this snowboard community.

YaYa
YaYa
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 4:09am
Originally posted by yaya34

Doug,

I have read this post before and I actually emailed you about this exact topic. I understand you are busy but I would really like to get my review privileges back. I have purchased so much stuff from TruSnow over the years and see myself as a dedicated part of this snowboard community.

YaYa

yaya34 - Doug is no longer here, you will have to address the support staff with your concerns.

Some of your reviews were for items that you didn't even use at the time of the review, plus you reviewed the Stunt 2 times.  You also reviewed bindings that you "researched" but did not actually use.  Plus a review of a magazine subscription.  Any time I see "I haven't even taken these on a mountain yet" the word SPAM magically appears in my head... I can see why your reviews were spammed.  I don't think you have a leg to stand on with your complaint about being banned from reviews.
Soft View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Soft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 4:18am
Originally posted by ctoma

Originally posted by yaya34

Doug,

YaYa

yaya34 - Doug is no longer here, you will have to address the support staff with your concerns.
er
Where did he go? :( New to the forums, but been watching thoose videoes for along time. But anyway ; Thanks for all the quality reviews out there! If anyone with a academy propoganda 2012 "legalize it" sees this, would you mind to make a short review for it? Thanks!

-P
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 4:23am
Doug and a few others started up their own snowboard company, Thrive.  I bought the Thrive Renegade, it's a magnificent board.  Use the link below to create an account:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>