Hot Wax or Hand Wax

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Wax or Hand Wax
    Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 10:36am

Ok, so I haven't waxed my board since I bought it which is about 10 days days worth of snowboarding.  Now it's about time for my board to get waxed but I don't feel comfortable waxing it myself for now so I'm getting a professional to do it.  Here are my 2 options:

Snowboard Hot Wax - $10
Time: 24 hours, subject to workload.
  • Clean base
  • Belt wax

Hand Wax - $15
Time: 24 hours, subject to workload.

• Clean base
  • Iron on new layer of wax
What the f is the difference?  Does a hot/belt wax not require ironing?
GoHuckYourself View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote GoHuckYourself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 10:40am
a hot/belt wax is when the wax is put on a "spindle" and the base of your board is then rub on this rotating "spindle." this type of waxing technique only stays on your board for about a day.  cleaning your base and iron waxing your board is a much better investment. the iron wax will protect your base a lot better as well as stay on longer that a belt wax. get an iron wax. hope this was helpful
Nathan
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 10:50am
10 days is "about time"?   About time for your 4th waxing maybe Wink

Belt waxing is about one step better than an rub-on or paste wax.  Hand waxing heats up the wax and the board, allowing it to absorb wax into the pores.  Hand waxing with an iron is definitely the better choice.  It costs more to get it done at the shop because its more labor intensive, but if you're only waxing every 10 days that's not a huge cost difference.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 10:52am
yea that helps thanks.  What's the point of a hot/belt wax if it's so temporary?  It seems pretty inferior if it's not ironed.
skarface View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote skarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 10:54am
hand wax
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 10:59am
Originally posted by squeezied

yea that helps thanks.  What's the point of a hot/belt wax if it's so temporary?  It seems pretty inferior if it's not ironed.

1.  Better than nothing
2.  Quick
3.  Cheaper

Cheaper applies mostly to the shop doing the work.  They can really crank them out quickly and easily and labor always costs more than materials here.  Plus they post it as a "hot wax" and most people might not know better.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 11:03am
You can always do your own rub on wax if you're not up to do your own hot hand wax.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Quote BunnySloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 11:05am
DIY!

But I would go with the Hot Hand Wax.
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 11:27am
Around here, a belt wax is a big rotating brush that the shop applies wax to...when they run your board across it, the friction melts the wax and applies a nice, even coat to your base.  Multiple passes across the brush remove excess wax and texture the base.
I wax my own board with an iron, but a friend works in a shop and does his board there all the time on the belt machine.  He says it lasts just as long as a hand wax, and if you're taking your board to a shop the belt wax is a cheaper option for identical performance.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 8:24pm
Thanks for all the responses!  So I'm getting a professional to do hand wax on my board.  How will I know they didn't cheap out and go with hot wax instead?  Or do I just have to "trust" that they are honest?
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2010 at 2:14pm
If you're riding real soon you might as well get it iron waxed at a shop but next time honestly you should really do it yourself all you need is an iron, wax, and a scraper. Its super easy and almost impossible to actually mess anything up unless you fall asleep in the process and leave the iron in one spot for a while. Just check out some video tutorials while you do it.

And a hand wax with an iron is still considered a hot wax
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2010 at 2:30pm
hot wax, belt wax dont stay. its more of a last second thing. They scrape it off for you too l presume... 
sharebear88 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote sharebear88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2011 at 7:29pm
ya i just started waxing my own board! it's actually pretty simple and in the long run u're saving money!
learn to do hot waxes at home :)
kline83 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kline83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 6:07am
Just throwing my 2 cents in, I agree with everyone else about belt wax vs hot iron wax. hot iron wax is a lot better in the long run.

I see as it taking your car through the car wash and getting wax applied vs you washing your own car and waxing your car by hand. Yes it takes a little bit longer but you know it was done right and it creates a little bit more of a sense of pride in your belongings knowing you are taking care of it.
javabean View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote javabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 4:08am

i would hot iron wax it myself. just buy an iron. it's super easy and takes like 30 minutes to wax and scrape and it saves money over time.

tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tomek77pl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 4:25am
i think the hot wax is so much better because it stays on the board longer and that what i use and it works great for me
mtmatsum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mtmatsum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:32pm
The belt wax is terrible... My friend got it done and he needed a new wax job by the next day. Almost felt like sandpaper the following day.
saldimaria View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote saldimaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 8:35am
hot wax is alot better but the wax that the spinddle machine does is basically instant...it legit takes less than a minute..you shouldnt have to leave your board there overnight for a waxing from the machine
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 8:53am
So I'm hearing a lot of chatter about how one is better than the other...who can actually back that up?  Tell me how melting wax onto your board is different from melting wax onto your board with a different heat source?

It's already been pointed out that the higher price is a reflection of the labour cost, not the materials used.  Obviously, a hand wax is going to take longer so the higher price does not reflect the quality of the work.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 9:06am
I'm pretty lazy, but waxing is something that I'll do myself.  It's pretty straightforward, and after the initial investment of <$20, you're set up to wax however much you want.  After that point the only expense is the actual wax.  Pick up a cheapo iron from Goodwill for $4, and a scraper from a snowboard shop.  The time and money you'll save after a year could pretty much add up to a new snowboard if you go riding often enough.
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Quote yechiboarder770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 9:12am
Definitely go with the iron on, the belt wax will come off quicker and is not always as well done.
aggiee7 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aggiee7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 9:18am
Hot wax, over the long run it is much cheaper. I literally just started about two weeks ago, did my brothers board, few friends board and now it is easier then ever. If you got some friends that want it done charge $5 and youll be paying for wax and getting waxed for free. Got a belt wax real quick before a day and was off the next day.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 6:31pm
damn i went boarding on an icy day, my board is all scratched and it was only the second day since waxing...
aggiee7 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aggiee7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 6:46pm
conditions always depend on how long wax stays on your base for.... ice typically takes wax of a lot quicker then powder. and wax does not protect against scratches from say going over a tree branch, or large chunk of ice...
mikeykj View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mikeykj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 7:28pm
Hot wax... for sure
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 8:51pm
hand wax.  get an iron and scrape  scrape  scrape!
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 7:28am
Originally posted by fishkur

So I'm hearing a lot of chatter about how one is better than the other...who can actually back that up?  Tell me how melting wax onto your board is different from melting wax onto your board with a different heat source?

It's already been pointed out that the higher price is a reflection of the labour cost, not the materials used.  Obviously, a hand wax is going to take longer so the higher price does not reflect the quality of the work.
I can't say for a fact that the iron wax is "better" than the belt wax, but I can offer a bit more insight on your second question. Then maybe you can decide which is the method for your needs. 

When using an iron to apply the wax, the base is heated significantly more than in the belt (spindle, machine, etc.) method. Thus, the pores of the base are able to fully absorb the wax. In theory, the ironed-in wax should last a bit longer since it was able to adhere more completely to the base structure.

Until one gets get comfy w/ doing the iron waxing, that extra $5 for the shop to complete several more steps is well worth it, imho.

**EDIT** Another thing to worth mentioning is that the terminology used by the shop in the original post, while somewhat misleading, may not be completely inaccurate. Most shops I've seen apply the wax to the brush/spindle simply by pressing the wax into the spinning brush/spindle. The shop that I worked at for a few months a dozen years ago had a heated trough in which we melted wax. The brush was lowered & rolled into the trough before making the several friction passes w/ the board or skis. If the shop in the OP also employs this technique, I guess they can get away w/ calling it a "hot" wax. **EDIT**
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 7:43am
Originally posted by boardoholic

When using an iron to apply the wax, the base is heated significantly more than in the belt (spindle, machine, etc.) method. Thus, the pores of the base are able to fully absorb the wax. In theory, the ironed-in wax should last a bit longer since it was able to adhere more completely to the base structure.

Until one gets get comfy w/ doing the iron waxing, that extra $5 is well worth it, imho.

It has been established there are no "pores" in bases. The wax goes into the structure of the base. The structure does not open or close based on temperature. Therefore it should matter how the wax is melted and applied, as long as wax gets in structure it is going to serve the same purpose.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote steezmastaflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 7:44am
hot wax that shiz fo sheezy
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by steezmastaflex

hot wax that shiz fo sheezy

Great contribution.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:01am
afaik most everything expands with heat and contracts with cold...this includes plastic.  Add to that, all plastic is porous...even extruded plastic

based on that, I read somewhere that as the base cools after a hot wax, it contracts and sucks in wax.  Of course, the faster/colder it cools is important in this theory, so I put the board outside in the cold immediately after ironing.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Piranha

I read somewhere that as the base cools after a hot wax, it contracts and sucks in wax.  Of course, the faster/colder it cools is important in this theory, so I put the board outside in the cold immediately after ironing.

so what, did it actually retain the wax better? last longer ro whatever?
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:11am

afaik most everything expands with heat and contracts with cold...this includes plastic

True thing do expand and contract, but in theory with waxing you scrape and brush ALL wax off and out of the board, so even if the structure expands allowing more wax into the structure, in theory you are just going to scrape and brush it all out anyways, so what is the big deal then.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:11am
Originally posted by kel

I read somewhere that as the base cools after a hot wax, it contracts and sucks in wax.  Of course, the faster/colder it cools is important in this theory, so I put the board outside in the cold immediately after ironing.

well, I haven't done a controlled test or anything, but my wax jobs do last several days...might last more if it got colder at night here.  dunno, but it's not like quickly putting it outside is any extra effort
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Scorer099

afaik most everything expands with heat and contracts with cold...this includes plastic.  Add to that, all plastic is porous...even extruded plastic

True thing do expand and contract, but in theory with waxing you scrape and brush ALL wax off and out of the board, so even if the structure expands allowing more wax into the structure, in theory you are just going to scrape and brush it all out anyways, so what is the big deal then.
the plastic is contracted when you scrape/brush, so, even though it looks/feels like we've brushed all the wax out, there's still plenty there. 
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:39am
I would hot wax, personally I like to do it too (well minus the scraping that gets a bit old after a while), but its relaxing to do IMO.
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Scorer099

Originally posted by boardoholic

Until one gets get comfy w/ doing the iron waxing, that extra $5 is well worth it, imho.

It has been established there are no "pores" in bases. The wax goes into the structure of the base. The structure does not open or close based on temperature. Therefore it should matter how the wax is melted and applied, as long as wax gets in structure it is going to serve the same purpose.
Yeah, I don't really buy into the whole heating "opens" the pores of the base either. When I used the word "pores," it really refers to the "structure" or micro-grooves.

I also should have said that the ironing process heats BOTH the base and wax more thoroughly than machine waxing.

And as you mentioned, it's all about getting as much wax into the base structure which, imho, ironing does a more complete job.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by kel

well, I haven't done a controlled test or anything, but my wax jobs do last several days...might last more if it got colder at night here.  dunno, but it's not like quickly putting it outside is any extra effort
While I never really thought of putting my deck out in cooler air to set the wax, I have done a Cold Shock Curing method (learned from Zoe in Post #16 of this thread... http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19185) during a multi-day trip in which I brought my tuning gear. Unfortunately, I didn't bother examining my board at the end of the day or before the next waxing session at home.

I'll try Piranha tip the next time I wax on a cool evening/night. Ideally, a better test would to be to wax a buddy's board at night after I'd waxed mine in the afternoon in which I allow it to cool in normal ambient temp like I normally do. Hmmm... where's my lab coat? Tongue
getupk3v View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sweet as!

Quote getupk3v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 10:16am
am i the only person who read the thread title as "hot wax or hand job"?
Olay View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Olay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 10:22am
Yeah, i'd just wax it yourself. you cant really hurt your board if you pay attention 1. Dont leave the iron in the same spot, keep running it across. 2. Dont let the wax smoke, thats bad. It saves so much money just waxing yourself and it keeps your board nice. There are tons of videos that could help you too
Hi
getupk3v View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sweet as!

Quote getupk3v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 10:31am
cabinkd View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cabinkd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 7:18pm
thanks for the waxing guide sierra! helpd me out!
identity666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote identity666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 6:37am
That Sierra Waxing YouTube video is "private" and not viewable. Strange.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 7:44am
Originally posted by identity666

That Sierra Waxing YouTube video is "private" and not viewable. Strange.

Maybe it's a different kind of waxingSmile
splagman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote splagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 7:46am
Easy to just do it yourself, ... convenient too.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2012 at 7:05am
I'm hand waxing two boards today.  Should take me about 1 hour and 2 beers. :)
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
 Post Reply Post Reply