Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mountain Etiquette for Progressing Riders
    Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 1:02pm
Alright guys so I'm starting to progress of the small hills and hitting some much harder blues and a few blacks at some of the smaller mountains. I'm getting more comfortable with higher speeds and pointing my nose down the mountain.... BUT I still fall every now and then and some of the real steep points still ride and edge way too long.

So my question to the community is how to I progress without pissing off the other riders? Whats the etiquette for someone that might be on a trail a bit beyond their ability.

eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 1:12pm
dont sit down in the middle of the hill, and dont sit on the blind side tranny of jumps. be aware!
melikman29 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 1:23pm
if you do stop in the middle of a trail when you start up again be very aware and try to wait for a point where there are not many riders before starting up again. commonsense but you'd be surprised how many people clump up for no good reason
Mike4snow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
A picture I drew....for snow. heh heh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 1:47pm
Let other people ahead of you and point your fingers when turning to signal riders behind you of your intentional direction. Common sense is a nice plus as well.
alexyeee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 1:55pm
Just stay out of the way and make sure everything is clear before you go for something. I hate it when a person falls right in front of me..
skboarder06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by alexyeee

Just stay out of the way and make sure everything is clear before you go for something. I hate it when a person falls right in front of me..

Isn`t that more your fault than their`s?? You shouldn't be riding directly behind them anyway, especially if you can see them and they can't see you...
dchijp View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 2:03pm
Very true
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 2:06pm
l try to wait for everyone to go first before l start heading down. if l see someone zooming by or a group coming up, give way and take a sit first is what l do 
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 2:10pm
It's inevitable for emerging riders to be on the blues, or going onto the blacks when they're ready. The person at the top should watch out for the person at the bottom. We don't have eyes in the back of our heads. But try not to be in the path at blind turns and or corners because the person no top won't be able to see you. In the end you'll both probably be in lots of pain.
Katsu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 2:12pm
If you are going to take a break, dont just sit it out in the middle of the trail
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 4:31pm
thanks guys, super helpful, alot of it is mostly common sence and im doing alot of that already, I like the idea of pointing keeps your body in the right position and lets people know where your headed

now if I can only get some balls and go more straight down instead of big s turns ill be all set.
aceisuhhh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 5:04pm
yah, these are good pointers. Common sense makes a really good point too without getting hurt and/or pissing people off.
skboarder06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 5:13pm
even thought it sounds like alot of common sense, SOOO many people do the unthinkable and obviously aren't aware of their surroundings and don't use their noggin.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 5:22pm
the fastest guy always has to yield to the slower boarder (since the slow guy cant see the other person) they just have to try and guess where you are heading. try to stay off to the side if you can help it. dont go carving the whole trail, it makes it hard to avoid you.
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2010 at 11:13pm
when you fall off the lift (it happens to everyone) try to scramble away as fast as you can so the lifts don't stop.  also just becasue someone's slower than you doesn't mean you should zoom right past them. try to give them more space so you don't startle them as you fly by. =]
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2010 at 11:31pm
If I'm about to hit a run that tests my abilities, I'll pull over to the side if I see a bunch of people coming that way.  I notice that people tend to clump together on runs, and if you just hang out for a minute, you can usually have the run to yourself.
SlimJim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
supersonic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2010 at 11:20pm
A chairlift etiquette: Try very hard not to bump your board into others' gear on the chairlift.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by SlimJim

A chairlift etiquette: Try very hard not to bump your board into others' gear on the chairlift.

Bingo!  Please don't bump boards, it's so annoying. 

If you're testing trails beyond your ability then sit to the side and look behind to see if you're clear to go with a minimum amount of people if possible so you have less chance of running into people so I hope you ride at places that's big enough and open enough.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
KilgoreTrout View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2010 at 9:50am
If you are regular foot it is easier to see other people when you are on the left side of the trail, if you are goofy (foot) you have more of an open view when on the right hand side of the trail.
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2010 at 9:51am
Be aware of your blind spot. Look to your sides as well as in front of you. If you are making a wide enough turn, check behind you to see if people are coming and how much room you have for maneuvering.

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 9:55am
As other people mentioned, don't just plop down in the middle of a trail, especially if it's after a lip or something where people can't see you from above.

When you're preparing to start back up after taking a break, always look up the mountain to see if people are coming down. Nothing pisses me off more than when people go from sitting still to all of a sudden zooming straight across a trail without looking up at all.

When I was learning, I got really nervous around big groups of riders, and I was make a lot of mistakes. I would try to stay closer to the sides, and when there was a big group behind me, I'd just pull off and let them pass, and I'd start back up once it cleared up a bit.
latinaxgamer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 10:06am
I'm still progressing in my ability as well and I try to stick to the sides of the trails I use. It's still a huge peeve of mine when people of higher skill levels zoom by in groups without any warning. Even a "passing on your left" would be kind of nice.

Also don't bump boards/skis when waiting for a chairlift or while on the chair lift. It was my first day using my new board and this kid behind me kept creeping up onto the end of my board. I know it's onlt a matter of time before it gets scratched up, but no need to speed up the process. Be respectful of everyone's gear.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 10:15am
what l hate is those skiiers. they get so close to you like honestly. were on like a huge as slope and your like 1 feet away from me. LIke seriously T_T
Costell14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2011 at 10:33am
I completely agree with eldolocal. I hapily spray idiot snowboarders who sit on my runs.

and please do not do moguls unless you actually turn.

Ohh. and never slide perpendicular to the hill unless at the top or when lining up a hit. If you slide perpendicular and pretend like you can make it down easy ill have to hurt you
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2011 at 9:13pm
Being a little vocal helps too if you're coming up on someone who's fairly unpredictable or just getting up on their feet. Just a simple "left side" "right side" has saved my butt once or twice.

Sinno View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Thirtytwo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 5:04pm
If you plan on going a little slower, let people cruising behind you pass.
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 5:11pm
Don't take up the whole run with you turns and don't pat attention to people behind you.

I smacked right into someone the other day because they cut to the left, so I cut to the right to go behind them, but then they saw me coming and stopped causing me to run right into them.

Just continue to do what your doing, it's more predictable for people behind you that way.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 5:15pm
Don't hit the lips of the rail unless you are actually trying to hit the feature.  
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
inksofmemories View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 8:23pm
I just came back from Mountain Creek, NJ and it AMAZES me how not 1, not 2, but many GROUPS of people just stop right in the middle of the trail (one of the wider ones) and was just chilling there. I understand occasionally they'll be a person or 2 resting right in the middle and its annoying but groups?! wth?!

not to mention right when you get off the lift, people (all strangers) literally lined up sitting next to each other strapping in. guess what, theres a trail behind those @$$holes and people from behind have to get through!!!

I've been saying good things about this mountain to my friends but this place is becoming more and more of a joke!!
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by inksofmemories

I just came back from Mountain Creek, NJ and it AMAZES me how not 1, not 2, but many GROUPS of people just stop right in the middle of the trail (one of the wider ones) and was just chilling there. I understand occasionally they'll be a person or 2 resting right in the middle and its annoying but groups?! wth?!

not to mention right when you get off the lift, people (all strangers) literally lined up sitting next to each other strapping in. guess what, theres a trail behind those @$$holes and people from behind have to get through!!!

I've been saying good things about this mountain to my friends but this place is becoming more and more of a joke!!

Both these things drive me CRAZY...
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2011 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Migoo

Both these things drive me CRAZY...

you don't understand how freakin frustrated i got yesterday!! when i was approaching that so called line where everyone was strapping in, i found a foot of space for me to go through it..... BUT a skier cut me off and stopped right at the opening... !@#$%^%$#@#$%^^%$#@ i flipped out and pretty much cursed at those who were sitting down near me at that line. it wasn't the right thing to do but i was pretty darn pissed at that point.
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2011 at 8:25am
Originally posted by nautika96

the fastest guy always has to yield to the slower boarder (since the slow guy cant see the other person) they just have to try and guess where you are heading. try to stay off to the side if you can help it. dont go carving the whole trail, it makes it hard to avoid you.

I disagree, I would rather them stay in the middle. They will feel safer and I have the control to ride right at the edge.
letterandnumber View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2011 at 8:40am

"I just came back from Mountain Creek, NJ and it AMAZES me how not 1, not 2, but many GROUPS of people just stop right in the middle of the trail (one of the wider ones) and was just chilling there. I understand occasionally they'll be a person or 2 resting right in the middle and its annoying but groups?! wth?!

I've been saying good things about this mountain to my friends but this place is becoming more and more of a joke!!"

I'm assuming you were at Vernon if it was that bad. Or a weekend at South. That place is full of punk kids anyway who couldn't care less about being in anyone's way.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2011 at 9:28am
Originally posted by letterandnumber

I'm assuming you were at Vernon if it was that bad. Or a weekend at South. That place is full of punk kids anyway who couldn't care less about being in anyone's way.

yeah, i started the day at vernon peak. after a run, i quickly left and went to granite peak. it was so much better there but what pissed me off at granite were idiots who don't slow down as they're approaching the lift lines at the end(assuming you know that trail). there were a lot of people waiting for the lift and one after the other, people think its impressive to speed fast towards the lift line and stop at the last second. there were actually ice patches there and those who didnt slow down either fell and injured themselves or injured others from crashing which was worse.. there was a stupid teenager/girl in the 20's on skis who was going full speed, almost ran into 2-3 people, stopped and just laughed and giggled with no remorse.

i'm thinking about selling the rest of my triple play tickets and pay a little more for tickets at a mountain where people have more common sense.
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 9:47am
yea, mountain creek is fun but there are too many crazy kids and sumtimes too many ppl.  Thats why i usually go during the weekday and towards the night time.  I hardly ever ride at Vernon cause it's always packed with ppl trying to learn and I'm not good enough myself to dodge them all.... Granite is the best IMO.
Maximus View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:40pm
Don't gape.
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 11:25am
Gotta go during the week at the Creek, it is pretty empty, especially right when South opens up at the 12-1ish. That's where I hide out.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 11:31am
i wish i could board on weekdays but i'm a weekend warrior (not by choice) =/
oddman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 11:33am
blah blah blah.

Dont worry about it.  as long as you are in a place people can see you , you are fine.

half the punters here are the same ones who stand in front of the lift at green runs.

imnotacartoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2011 at 11:44am
I just try and stick to the sides of the run if it is a little out of my depth.
Lambo961 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 12:44pm
Don't sit on the landing side of jumps. It's kinda hard to avoid people who sit there when your already mid-jump.
getupk3v View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sweet as!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 5:37pm
if you're not that good and you get plowed into by a better rider, the odds are it was your fault for riding unpredictably and getting in the way.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 5:56pm
Heres what i reckon makes nice safe considerate boarding:

Rule 1: The person downhill ALWAYS has right of way. The person uphill must always be aware of what the hell is going on down from them. Its ALWAYS their duty to modify their speed and line accordingly. If you get hit from someone above you on the hill, its their fault. (the only exception i can honestly think of follows...).
Rule 2: BE VISIBLE at ALL TIMES. dont sit under a lip, and if you fall, get up quickly. Its your head that's about to get spilled over the snow. If someone hits you because youre in a blind spot, youre pretty much in the wrong here.
Rule 3: Just because you have right of way doesnt mean you have the right to ski or snowboard as erratically as you like. Be aware of your surroundings.
Rule 4: If dropping in from somewhere off the main trail, check up the hill for people. You'll be popping out of those trees faster than you realise.
Rule 5: When getting up LOOK BEHIND YOU. Make sure no one is coming through before you start riding.

m00m
iheartloveland View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 7:14pm
^ good call ippolite. i read the whole thread and was basically thinking that the whole time. as long as you're considerate and aware then you shouldn't even be bothered with people getting pissed at you. if they are, they are probably jerks anyways.

that said the only thing i have to add is try to ride predictably in areas where there are clearly more advanced/faster skiers and snowboarders, like places where speed is needed to get through a flat spot or up to a traverse. unexpected turns from a person in front can ruin someones trip to the next lift or whatever.
fool760401 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My New Ride!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by ippollite

Heres what i reckon makes nice safe considerate boarding:

Rule 1: The person downhill ALWAYS has right of way. The person uphill must always be aware of what the hell is going on down from them. Its ALWAYS their duty to modify their speed and line accordingly. If you get hit from someone above you on the hill, its their fault. (the only exception i can honestly think of follows...).
Rule 2: BE VISIBLE at ALL TIMES. dont sit under a lip, and if you fall, get up quickly. Its your head that's about to get spilled over the snow. If someone hits you because youre in a blind spot, youre pretty much in the wrong here.
Rule 3: Just because you have right of way doesnt mean you have the right to ski or snowboard as erratically as you like. Be aware of your surroundings.
Rule 4: If dropping in from somewhere off the main trail, check up the hill for people. You'll be popping out of those trees faster than you realise.
Rule 5: When getting up LOOK BEHIND YOU. Make sure no one is coming through before you start riding.

+1

One thing I want to add though: It's a fact of life that you will bump into someone, and someone will bump into you even if you and other person follow the guidelines above. These are call accidents. When these accidents happen, be cool and be civil. If it's your fault apologize and make sure that the other person is ok. If it's the other person's fault, make sure you and the other person are both ok. Give them some pointers if they are at a lower riding level than you are.
Sierra RC : Burton Mission : Burton Hail
 Post Reply Post Reply