Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shreddog_123 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Duck season

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official my gear got stolen 10/11 thread
    Posted: Jan/19/2012 at 6:39pm
This is why I completely ignore the "please do not bring snowboards or skis in the lodge" sign and I waltz my signal park rocker right in there. Who takes a stomp pad right of someone else's board?!?!! That's what I want to know. I'm stomp pad-less now
Do you know God???
nots0kind View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
wattup box

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2012 at 11:06am
whichever you lock you choose dont make it a masterlock combo lock.. aside from it being a pain in the arse to spin when its frozen(if your locker is outside) but also because they do make master keys for the masterlocks and can unlock any lock it wants.. all it takes is one scum bag walking through lookin for a masterlock..   
CrunchRunch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 4:35pm
i get paranoid everytime i leave it on the racks,
skaufman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
size doesnt matter its how you use it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 7:20am
so are you guys talking like leavin ur shit out at a resort while ur eatin or some shit? ive always wondered if thats when ppls stuff gets jacked or not??
raymondross View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by skaufman

so are you guys talking like leavin ur shit out at a resort while ur eatin or some shit? ive always wondered if thats when ppls stuff gets jacked or not??

yes
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:29pm
so a guy a was with dropped an iphone from a lift because he went to grab a beer out of his pocket that he put both of them in. anyways before we could get back down to the spot it fell we someone grabbed it and took off. we called it and i guess apple even has some tracking software. we chased this dude all over the mountain with this tacking software but we could never figure out exactly who it was. anyways i was on a trip to park city so i wasted an entire day of riding on some wild iphone chase. so if you loose something and you have friends who paid to go riding. force them to leave you so you can search by yourself and they can have a clear conscience and enjoy the day because they spent money. or if you are like me put up with all the bs searching and then have him pay for your stippers.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:36pm
someone dropped a samsung smart phone (as if im literate enough to know what it is). I picked it up, rode down the mountain with it very visibly in my hands just in case they recognised it, and gave it to the lifties at the gondola station. And you know what, that person would have done the exact same thing if the situation was reversed (ive lost my wallet on several occasions, always with stacks of money in it and always got it back). Japan... :D
m00m
Frozone7 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:44pm
It sucks that peoples things are being stolen, it makes me think twice about leaving it unlocked. Also makes me wonder why people are so desperate that they have to steal...what a shame.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:44pm
good move that is karma. the next weekend i went with some of my girlfriends friends. They get cold and go inside the upper mountain lodge for about an hour. this dude goes to get his skis and cant fit into the bindings. Some guy rented from the same company with slightly smaller feet and took this dudes skis leaving him with ones too small. Luckly breck ski patrol was cool enough to give this 'friend' a new free rental and tracked down the guy who had taken the other pair on accident. I left this time because i didnt want to have to deal with lost stuff again. I also saw a breck lifty give this guy a bag of weed that fell out of his pocket getting off the lift.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ippollite

someone dropped a samsung smart phone (as if im literate enough to know what it is). I picked it up, rode down the mountain with it very visibly in my hands just in case they recognised it, and gave it to the lifties at the gondola station. And you know what, that person would have done the exact same thing if the situation was reversed (ive lost my wallet on several occasions, always with stacks of money in it and always got it back). Japan... :D

Funny stuff.  At Heavenly on Saturday I had my contour glued to my board and it predictably fell off after a few runs.  I spent a minute or two looking for it with my wife, and with no success tried the tactic of bitching loudly about my own stupidity in line.  After a minute or two this guy behind me was giving me the evil eye, and then he said "you know what, I might have that in my pocket."  He handed it over and earned some good karma for sure. 

So that was lucky.  But what was really cool was the video where the camera barrel rolls off the board and comes to a stop.  Not more than a minute later you hear this gaper skiier crunching over, say "is that a camera?" pick it up and point it at his face (which is funny).  Then he debates with his family what to do with it, and rides around with it in his pocket for a while.  Unfortunately he turned it off before he gave it back to me as that would have been interesting as well

-b
get bent
jon98gn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 11:18am
Man, I haven't been up on the slopes in 10 years, but I don't remember ever having problems in the 15 years of skiing/snowboarding before that. I would always put my stuff outside on the racks or just stiffed into the snow. Now I'm going to be paranoid this weekend after reading some of these.
LexCorp View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 7:49pm

I actually dropped my blackberry once and thought it was gone for good when I noticed it was missing.  Decided to check lost and found and lo and behold, someone actually was kind enough to turn it in.  Made my day! Was at Snow Summit in SoCal.
scuba32steve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 4:23pm
I dropped my phone once and then after a couple of runs up the lift I saw it stuck in the snow so I got lucky
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2012 at 8:39am
My brother let his friend borrow my boats because his friend needed size 11 and mine were size 11. Turns out they get stolen somehow and then I'm left without boats. The guy didn't want to but me new ones and was being a jerk about it. Thats the last time I let anyone I don't know personalty borrow anything of mine.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2012 at 9:27am
Had a beanie stollen... that sucks..
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by humblerooster

My brother let his friend borrow my boats because his friend needed size 11 and mine were size 11. Turns out they get stolen somehow and then I'm left without boats. The guy didn't want to but me new ones and was being a jerk about it. Thats the last time I let anyone I don't know personalty borrow anything of mine.
bummer dude...but not entirely his fault it got stolen.. but how in the world did that even happen? did he just stook it aside and walked away hoping it'd be still there?
cause I usually just have my boots on the whole time. until I get back to the car to change into my shoes.

and why the hell would someone steal a beanie?!... my friend lost a pair of shoes. we all put our shoes in those little cubbies and only his shoes were gone.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 5:40am
wow, guess there are some ppl out there who can't afford beanies. it's a sad world we live in.

if i found out my brother lent out my boots i'd hang him regardless if they were returned. its damaged goods! that or sell his board and bindings.
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 5:50am
Dang I didn't realize how many kleptos there were at ski resorts.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 3:12pm
it was a very nice beanie...
pooched View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
ARFF standby in Antarctica

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 1:40pm
Get this, the first weekend I ever went riding, my rental board with step in binding got jacked! why??? Havent had any problems once i bought my own stuff and ive never bothered to lock my stuff up.
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 5:57am
Not sure how effective this is, but I imagine it can't hurt.
http://karmaarmy.com/
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:53am
beanies are replaceable

now the ones that are rare and pretty friggin sweet and they get stolen sucks.

facemasks are no bueno you better sanitize the crap out of it.

i dont get how anyone could steal your boots or even your board.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by gunda pickle

Not sure how effective this is, but I imagine it can't hurt.
http://karmaarmy.com/
I just checked that out and one of the first things I saw wanted me to smack my head into a wall. A guy reported his Malolo stolen and in the description says it replaced his stolen Supermodel X. Nice way to learn from your mistakes dipshit.
PunkPhilosophy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Canyons Resort POWDER DAY... This is SPRING in Utah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 1:29pm
This has never happened to me... knock on wood... sorry it has happened to all you guys... maybe no one steals my stuff because I can NEVER afford to always have the latest and greatest stuff... either way... knock on wood... I do have to agree that a cheap lock makes more sense than losing $300 to $600 worth of gear! Damn!

However I did leave a good pair of gloves on top of my car once then drove home! YEAH, I will NOT be making that mistake again!
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 4:06pm
I wonder if any resorts have thought of using bait boards? Like a really hot expensive board and bindings with a tracking device. The could get you before you leave the resort. That would help get thief's off the mountains or help stop it.
Worst I had was wonderful.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by andyc5315

I wonder if any resorts have thought of using bait boards? Like a really hot expensive board and bindings with a tracking device. The could get you before you leave the resort. That would help get thief's off the mountains or help stop it.

I've had the same thought. It would be just like that show Bait Car. Where they park a nice car in a ghetto neighborhood and then wait for someone to steal it. That would def. help with the problem of stealing.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 6:40pm
Where would you stash a GPS on a bait board? False compartment under one of the bindings? I haven't seen GPS tech that's stealthy small. Even the ones the Feds use (I'd put the PDs using bait cars in this same category) are pretty blocky. 

Maybe stash it in a leg bag strapped to the binding. *shrugs*

I'd watch the crap out of Bait Boards

Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 6:45pm
just had my beanie stolen when i when to the pisser... i mean come on. A friggen beanie?
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 7:21pm
Maybe they lost their beanie haha.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 3:06am
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Where would you stash a GPS on a bait board? False compartment under one of the bindings? I haven't seen GPS tech that's stealthy small. Even the ones the Feds use (I'd put the PDs using bait cars in this same category) are pretty blocky. 

Maybe stash it in a leg bag strapped to the binding. *shrugs*

I'd watch the crap out of Bait Boards

They have tracking stickers you can out on stuff like your keys, remote, or phone to help you find them. They could easily put one on the bottom of the binding.
Worst I had was wonderful.
Techquebec View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 8:21pm
Just have a security measure like in the movie Blade.. ie. person holds his sword the wrong way and gets his hands cut off.

So, step in the bindings the wrong way and ...well you get the idea.
Aos View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Techquebec

Just have a security measure like in the movie Blade.. ie. person holds his sword the wrong way and gets his hands cut off.

So, step in the bindings the wrong way and ...well you get the idea.

That is assuming that they use the item they stole. =)
xoxcreatexox View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 10:07pm
Blade lol!!! That is such an evil idea!
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2012 at 4:16am

only in japan! whenever i go back, i go cruisin the streets of tokyo on the bike and hit up izakayas throughout the night, never need to lock the bikes. not saying bikes don't get stolen but people are just not in that mindset over there. Cool
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 5:48pm
My brother went to ski in Utah and rent skis from the ski shop. When he went to take a lunch break after skiing someone took his rental skis. (we were told it happens a lot if someone rent from them because all rental skis look alike) we were also told that we will be charged for the skis if no one return them. It has been 4 months and we didnt get charged so Im guessing they were right--someone did mistaken his for theirs :D
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 4:57am
Originally posted by bdanross

so a guy a was with dropped an iphone from a lift because he went to grab a beer out of his pocket that he put both of them in. anyways before we could get back down to the spot it fell we someone grabbed it and took off. we called it and i guess apple even has some tracking software. we chased this dude all over the mountain with this tacking software but we could never figure out exactly who it was. anyways i was on a trip to park city so i wasted an entire day of riding on some wild iphone chase. so if you loose something and you have friends who paid to go riding. force them to leave you so you can search by yourself and they can have a clear conscience and enjoy the day because they spent money. or if you are like me put up with all the bs searching and then have him pay for your stippers.

soon all the US carriers will be able to make it unusable if its reported stolen, so hopefully people are less shady with "found" smart phones.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 6:52am
Originally posted by barnyard

soon all the US carriers will be able to make it unusable if its reported stolen, so hopefully people are less shady with "found" smart phones.

I can't believe this isn't already in place. These phones are $500+ and I've even heard that carriers like AT&T are allowing re-activation of stolen phones in order to force people to buy new phones and phone plans. It's despicable.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/04/12/45547.htm 
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2012 at 6:48am
Someone jacked my facemask, as my back was turned, while I was adjusting my bindings. This was earlier on in the season. It was a cool looking facemask (half scull), but seriously, who would want someone else's facemask? Sweat, breath and snot. Why would someone risk a beating for that?
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213