Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
exastronaut View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bataleon Jam Review
    Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 6:39pm
Bataleon Jam 161. Ridden with both Union Contacts and Burton Cartels. I'm assuming everyone knows the story with Bataleon and Triple Base Technology. If you don't, swing by their website to see and hear their description of the tech.

I got pretty detailed in this review, so if you get bored, just skip to the last paragraph.

A quick about me to start:

Intermediate/ Advanced rider, around 6'2" and 215#. I'm not really into the park. I'll pass through it on the way to the lift, maybe pop off of a couple hits and slide a box or two, but it's not really my thing. I'd be happy if I could always find fresh snow in the trees.

My first impression of the board isn't all that great. It feels loose, and not in a particularly good way. Once I get a little speed going, I don't notice it so much. 'Catch-free' is an understatement. I never really felt that cambered boards were at all 'catchy' so this board feels very slippery. If you are riding flat based, the edges are not contacting the snow at all, so it's like you're standing on a saucer sled. When I'm on a long traverse or carrying through a spot that flats out, I tend to apply just a little bit of pressure on my toe edge to hold my line. I can't do that on this board. A little bit of pressure is not enough for the edge to make contact. In fact, this just rocks the board toward the side base a bit, and you have less contact with the snow, and the board has more of a tendency to slide around on you (typically the tail starts coming around backside). This is something you have to get used to with this board, and it took some time for me. When I fell I didn't fall while riding at speed, I fell while riding flat based in situations where I wanted to just lean on an edge lightly, but not actually start into a carve.

Ok, so that's the big downside for me. You're either on edge or you aren't. There really isn't anything in the middle. You can't just check your edge a little bit. Besides traversing, I realized that I tend to check my toeside edge when landing jumps, and that doesn't work too well either. My technique was to go lightly to my toe edge, then come heelside to slow/ see what's in front of me. Now, sometimes I go lightly to my toe edge, then come straight down onto my face. Maybe the issue is that I have bad landing technique, but I really can't do it the same way on this board.

The other downside of this board for me is the effective edge length. The effective edge on Bataleon boards is a bit shorter than comparable boards of the same size. This board is already on the shorter side for me, plus a shorter than average effective edge makes it less stable at speed. I knew this when I bought the board, so I can't really consider it a fault, but it is something to keep in mind if you're looking for one. If you're not sure of which size to go with, I'd recommend sizing up. This board rides shorter and won't hold as well as many comparable boards at the same length.

My first positive impression was how well this board floated in powder. Now it isn't going to replace a pow-specific tapered board, but it certainly does a better job than traditional camber. I really saw the snow flying out and away from my front foot, instead of coming up over the contact points and piling up in front of my binding. I was skeptical that a few millimeters would really make a big difference, but it did. This helps a lot in the trees, where I sometimes end up plowing the nose of my cambered board under. I can keep my weight more forward on this board without worrying about the contact point catching, digging under, and getting me all jacked up. You can still initiate turns with the front foot in new snow.

The lack of stability while cruising flat based isn't at all noticeable when you start laying down some carves. On edge, it feels good (minus the issue of short effective edge). When you start going from edge to edge, you notice a little bit of a rolling sensation as you go from edge, to side base, to flat, to side base, to edge again. It's not a big difference and the transition is very smooth. I actually kind of like it. On a flat board, your board goes edge, flat, edge. The curve of the side bases makes that transition feel really smooth. I feel like there's a little extra pep in my turns as I roll from edge to edge.

Tight turns are easier to make on this board. This is especially true in the bumps and trees. The shorter effective edge is a positive here, as there is less edge to get caught up and slow you down. I feel like the upturned contact points also allow you to get your body and your weight shifted just a bit more into the turn before the edge catches and pulls you around. That's pretty key when you're in the trees and bumps and almost always changing direction. Again, being able to say a little bit more forward because you're not worrying about catching the nose makes things more stable.

This board is fairly stiff, not your best option for the park, but it'll do the job. The TBT means you can still run some sharp edges out at the contact points because they're turned away from the boxes and rails. Lifting the contact points off of the snow also makes flat spins effortless and though it's not the best board to press, it is butterable, and basically just soft enough to take in the park without having to fight it too much.

So, in summary, the downsides of TBT can be forgiven because they have upsides as well. The short effective edge sacrifices high-speed edge hold on big carves for agility and quickness when it comes to making turns in the trees and bumps. The TBT makes it almost impossible to just 'check' an edge or put light pressure on it at low speed, but it makes for very smooth, rolling transitions from edge to edge at high speed. You get better powder float than a traditional cambered board without sacrificing all of it's stability. It spins nicely, and is fast when you point it straight and ride flat because there is less contact with the snow. This board won't replace my longer cambered board for groomers and high-speed carving, but when there's a little bit of fresh snow and I want to ride something bumpy or full of trees, this will be my go-to board. If I had to do it all again, I'd buy a 164 knowing how short this board feels. But I bought it used and that wasn't an option anyway. Get yourself a Bataleon Jam if you like getting off of the groomers and out of the park because that's where it excels, and it'll take care of business on the cruisers and the boxes when you need it to.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 8:46pm
 Can you tell how us how compares to like a v-rocker or any other RC in powder.

Clap Great review
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 9:02pm
I just sold my 2009 Bataleon Jam, and I agree with all your points, especially on riding flats.  If you're not committed fully to an edge, it had a tendency to buck in a most unpleasant way.  But it was quite stable just riding it down the slopes, even in steep and icy conditions.

I recall it being great fun in powder as well.  Keeping the nose up was fairly effortless.  It's difficult for me to compare it apples-to-apples to my Sierra RC in powder, since my RC is shorter and narrower.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Timmay_650

Can you tell how us how compares to like a v-rocker or any other RC in powder.

Well, I think this varies based on how you ride. On the East coast, where you're often dealing with hardpack and icy conditions, you're really taught to initiate turns with the front foot and keep your weight forward. This keeps the front of the board firmly planted on the snow, which ends up minimizing the extra float you get from rocker. Assuming both boards are of a similar size and nose length, you may not see much of a difference.

But if you set your bindings back a bit or shift your weight back slightly, the difference is going to be much more noticeable. Bataleon boards are still cambered, so it's nearly impossible to get more of the nose off of the snow while the board is weighted. But on a rocker board, once your weight moves back, the nose of the board should come up out of the snow more and more. You can effectively lengthen your nose based on how you ride, which you really can't do with a Bataleon. This will also give rockered boards more of a surfy feel, letting you easily initiate turns by pushing the back foot around, instead turning with the front foot.

I can't say I've ridden every reverse camber tech out there, but given 4-6" of new stuff, a Bataleon board will probably feel more stable thanks to the camber, and you won't miss having a longer nose. Here in VT, where there aren't a ton of big powder days, that works for me. But if you're somewhere that gets bigger dumps more regularly, or you're looking for a true powder board, the Jam is not going to replace a rocker or S-rocker design for great float in the deep stuff.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 3:40am
dude, a really nicely balanced review! :) I really enjoyed reading it what with being a little embarrassingly on the TBT bandwagon (before even riding it). I wish i had questions, but i keep thinking of them, then going back and reading what you wrote and realising you kinda answered it. Thanks for the time though! it was a really fun read. Nice to also see plenty of negatives spelled out to keep my ridiculous overhype on it a bit more in the realms of reality :) (ps. added your review to the list at the end of the sticky guide to make sure it doesnt end up lost. :))   
m00m
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 6:07am
Originally posted by ippollite

I really enjoyed reading it what with being a little embarrassingly on the TBT bandwagon (before even riding it).

Hahaha. Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. With all of the hype, I was pretty much convinced that this would be the best board I ever rode and I was going to love it. Unfortunately, reality set in, and it wasn't the greatest thing ever.

But lets be realistic too- no board is going to excel in all conditions, and this one does a very good job in most of them. I still like the board a lot, and I'll ride it most of the time this season.

It's a good board, and TBT has some great advantages, but it's not going to completely change your life.

Thanks for the read, the comments, and the sticky. Much appreciated.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 7:23am
Solid Review!

I have a group of friends who all ride Bataleon boards...I know that they ride, The Enemy, Jam, Omni, and Evil Twin.

The one who rides the Jam definitely pulls it off very nicely in the park so it can be done.  He is a very solid rider though.  Just wanted to let those who are interested in the board and ride park more than the OP that it is very much possible to rock this board in the park.  But like I said he is a very strong park rider so...
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by exastronaut

Originally posted by ippollite

I really enjoyed reading it what with being a little embarrassingly on the TBT bandwagon (before even riding it).

Hahaha. Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. With all of the hype, I was pretty much convinced that this would be the best board I ever rode and I was going to love it. Unfortunately, reality set in, and it wasn't the greatest thing ever.

What their website lied to me with it catchy videos, Ha Ha. I would like to try one some days.

Thanks for your feed back on riding it in powder.

Here is a sweet video of a guy killing it on a Bataleon board in the park, it is the evil.
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 4:57am
Really good detailed review!  I was looking at this tech and wondering how it rode.  thanks for the review.
I make handmade longboards PM me for info.
fastpedi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 12:56pm
Great review!! I recently, basically last week purchased 2011 Bataleon The Jam off the recommendation from a young snowboard crack. I basically explained to him what I was looking for: a board which would be forgiving allowing me to build confidence to start improving my skills. I also told him what I mostly do on the slopes...basically ride groomed piste most of the time and look for new powder sections. Never gone to the park but seeking at some stage as my skill level improves to start trying the small stuff....basically a story of an intermediate rider looking to step up his skills without killing himself.

So let me get to my experience with the board, but before my setup:
Bindings: Flux DMCC
Boot size: US 10 UK 43
Salomon Mammut Boots
Stance: 56 cm
Board Front and rear lip to middle binding (front & back foot) measurement: 53cm....centered board setup.
Ride Goofy
Hight: 185 cm
Weight with boots and clothes: 86kg
Board: Bataleon The Jam 2011

My first run with the board was incredible. It felt effortless in every aspect of my riding style...it turned, carved and was fast. At no point did it want to catch an edge, buck me, chatter on the flats. When I finished my 1st run I had a smile on my face that can't be removed anymore ;-) My work colleagues think I've gone crazy...anyway.

Every run I did with this board I was able to step up my game. I started looking for burms, jumps, small pow section...rode more switch than ever before. The board felt like is was on rails through icy sections. I don't know how or what this board does for me but the harder I rode the more confident I become. A sensation I've not experienced with other boards I've tested. Namely, Burton Custom, Head Intelligence and my old Saloman. An explanation could be that my old board (6 years old) was basically crap.

Now waiting for the big Pow day...I'm confident this board will be a killer in the powder...
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 2:33pm
fastpedi, you gave us all of your information except what size board you got, which I'm sure would be helpful to a lot of people.

Looking back, I guess I didn't really talk about riding the board switch. At first, I found it more difficult to ride switch. I couldn't get on edge as easily because I was relying more on throwing my weight around than on using my feet to initiate carves. The raised contact points really make you to use your feet to flex the board and bring the edges to the snow.  This definitely carries over to when you get on a non-TBT board too. My switch turns are much smoother and crisper. It actually helped correct a bad habit I had.

Still, I never got that 'on rails' sensation. I think I'd need to step up to a 167 Omni or Undisputed to get enough effective edge to hold my weight at speed like that.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 9:54am
pretty impressive review from someone who's only been riding 2 years w/ an average of 12 days a year Wink .

I'm glad I rode some standard flat camber boards before bataleon, to build my skills and make me appreciate TBT.

I don't get the saucer sled analogy.  With bataleon I feel like I'm more in control of when to engage the edge...just takes a little bit more angle in the turn.  I've gotten used to that and prefer it.

sizing up is a good idea with all board/tech, imo.  I'd rather have a board that's a little on the long than a little too short....especially if I'm riding icy steeps (I think the reason there's more skier locals at world class resorts is 2x the effective edge)

bottom line, you're gonna have to ride any tech for yourself, to see if it suits your riding type, skill level, local conditions, etc.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Piranha

pretty impressive review from someone who's only been riding 2 years w/ an average of 12 days a year Wink .

I'm glad I rode some standard flat camber boards before bataleon, to build my skills and make me appreciate TBT.

I don't get the saucer sled analogy.  With bataleon I feel like I'm more in control of when to engage the edge...just takes a little bit more angle in the turn.  I've gotten used to that and prefer it.

sizing up is a good idea with all board/tech, imo.  I'd rather have a board that's a little on the long than a little too short....especially if I'm riding icy steeps (I think the reason there's more skier locals at world class resorts is 2x the effective edge)

bottom line, you're gonna have to ride any tech for yourself, to see if it suits your riding type, skill level, local conditions, etc.

Haha. Thanks for the compliment. I may not get out nearly as much as I want to, but I really pack as many runs into a day as I can. If I'm at the mountain, I'd rather ride than have lunch. I also took a lot of lessons in my first year, and I think that really paid off. I'm not super-concerned about technique, but I do try to focus on my riding.

The saucer sled thing is really just to illustrate the fact that when you ride flat based, there is no edge touching the snow. Much like a saucer sled, it is possible to start to spin around in a direction you don't want to.

That's not a terrible thing, because, like you said, you are in control of when you go on edge. You're never going to catch one accidentally. You have to commit to it.

I would agree on sizing up, or at the very least, going bigger if you fall in the middle of two sizes. I know that if I get another Bataleon, I'll go bigger. (I just need to get on a Never Summer RC board, a Nidecker/ Yes CamRock board, and a Lib Tech C2BTX board before I decide what my next one will be.)
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 2:11pm

...I may not get out nearly as much as I want to, but I really pack as many runs into a day as I can. If I'm at the mountain, I'd rather ride than have lunch...
my kinda guy.  For my first 3 years, I rode first to last chair, non-stop, eating lunch on the lifts (if powerbars+water=lunch).  Not quite as enthusiastic now, but I rode/learned a lot that way.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2011 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Piranha

For my first 3 years, I rode first to last chair, non-stop, eating lunch on the lifts (if powerbars+water=lunch).  Not quite as enthusiastic now, but I rode/learned a lot that way.

For me, that's definitely the way to go. The ride up the lift is long enough to catch your breath, rest your legs, and grab something to eat/drink (if you remember to bring it). People that sleep in,  take 3 runs, go in for a 90 minute lunch and then maybe wrap up the day with 2 afternoon runs are never going to progress very much.

But I don't really want to complain about them. After all, they spend a lot of money, which helps keep the resorts open, and they don't crowd the lift lines or the better slopes.
fastpedi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 12:15pm
Hi guys,

Thought I would give more impressions on the Jam. This weekend, I spent the whole day on the slopes of Andermatt, Switzerland...the conditions were not ideal, misty up high on the Gemsstock, 2963m. This means full control of the board under your feet. In Andermatt the black runs are extremely challenging...very steep narrow. Control is everything...a board that holds an edge and allows quick and responsive turns. What can I say...my Jam was awesome. I did turns confidently and never felt that I has to much or to little board on my feet.   

The highlight came when we lost our way a little heading down the mountain...we needed to traverse a section of untouched mountain which lead to a powder session...now let me try give those who read this an idea of my experience. To sink this boards nose in the pow is almost impossible. This was my first surprise when I hit the powder and the second was the ability to be almost neutral on the board. This allowed more control which led to more confidence to control my direction and choose my lines.

The coolest thing was smoking my friends down the mountain
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by fastpedi

To sink this boards nose in the pow is almost impossible. This was my first surprise when I hit the powder and the second was the ability to be almost neutral on the board. This allowed more control which led to more confidence to control my direction and choose my lines.

I think that this is one of the best traits of this board. The design allows you to stay more forward in your stance while riding in fresh pow. The nose stays up and pushes the snow aside.

It won't replace a pure directional powder board with a short tail and a big nose, but that's not the intention anyway. This board was designed to ride much more than just the pow. For an all-mountain board, I don't think you can find a better combination of float and stability on hardpack.

So what size board are you riding fastpedi? Looks like you're about 5cm and 15kg less than me. Are you also riding a 161 or are you on something else?
fastpedi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:23pm
Exastronaut I'm riding a 164. When the board was introduced to me, I wanted to go with a 161. The young crazy dude said if I'm going ride this type of board mostly on groomed slopes and pow, sizing up would be ideal. More effective edge when burning the carves and more float on pow. I agree with this and add that the board feels shorter than it is on the stat. I've been offered to test a Enemy +++ this weekend. This board is crazy light and seems a touch stiffer. I expect this board to be aggressive and faster than the Jam. I just don't want a board that takes me for a ride :-) will keep all who read the post updated.
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 5:15am

(I just need to get on a Never Summer RC board, a Nidecker/ Yes CamRock board, and a Lib Tech C2BTX board before I decide what my next one will be.)

LOL... looking at the same thing you are!

NS Raptor
Nidecker Platinum
Lib Tech T.Rice or GNU Riders Choice

But every time I take out my T6, I say... what's the point! Wink I like trying new techs to see what it's all about! But must wait for BIG sale season 1st...

Nice review BTW.

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAMEā€¦ THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by fastpedi

I'm riding a 164. When the board was introduced to me, I wanted to go with a 161. The young crazy dude said if I'm going ride this type of board mostly on groomed slopes and pow, sizing up would be ideal. More effective edge when burning the carves and more float on pow. I agree with this and add that the board feels shorter than it is on the stat.

I couldn't agree more. The only reason that I got a 161 is because I found one used, and I didn't want to spend $570+ tax just to try out the tech.

I rode today in some pretty good snow (finally a decent Nor'easter hit us in VT), and I had a lot of fun on the board, but I had to finally admit the fact that it's just too short for me. If I rode slower or weighed less or stuck to the park, I probably wouldn't have any problems. But I weigh over 200lbs which makes it hard to go slow, and I don't hang out in the park.

I like this board a lot. It's grown on me since my first couple rides, and I can't imagine any other non-directional cambered board floating as well as this one does.

All that being said... I'm selling my Jam so I can buy another Bataleon and size up. I'm thinking going bigger than the 164, probably getting a 167 Omni. I'll be sure to review it here and compare/ contrast the two boards.

Look out for the board and a set of Union Contacts on the classifieds page. And, you know, buy them from me so I can get a board that fits me better.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Dice

(I just need to get on a Never Summer RC board, a Nidecker/ Yes CamRock board, and a Lib Tech C2BTX board before I decide what my next one will be.)

LOL... looking at the same thing you are!

NS Raptor
Nidecker Platinum
Lib Tech T.Rice or GNU Riders Choice

But every time I take out my T6, I say... what's the point! Wink I like trying new techs to see what it's all about! But must wait for BIG sale season 1st...

Nice review BTW.

Cheers...

Yeah, it's not easy to get on all of the different boards that are out there. I like my Bataleon and I think I'm sticking with them, just going with a bigger board. However, I'm trying to get out of work one day next week so I can go to a Never Summer demo. If the Premier or Heritage really blows me away, I may have a tough decision to make.

Lib boards have gotten pretty popular here on the 'Ice' Coast, so maybe I can find someone who has one. The Nidecker/ YES thing will be a little more tricky to try without buying.

It would be nice if I knew more people my size with all sorts of different boards, but I don't. If there's ever a meet up at a local VT mountain I'd be more than willing to let other people ride my board(s) for an opportunity to ride theirs.
fastpedi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 11:38am

I'm selling my Jam so I can buy another Bataleon and size up. I'm thinking going bigger than the 164, probably getting a 167 Omni. I'll be sure to review it here and compare/ contrast the two boards.

It makes sense to size up. All the best with selling your Jam...and to anybody who's looking for the best board out there, buy Bataleon... It has changed my life and experience on a snowboard.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 12:56pm
If anyone has been following this thread and is at all interested in the board, mine is for sale here:
http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44122&PN=1&PID=954495#954495
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 7:54pm
heres my take on the airobic (155 - me=73kilofatass)

Went out on the airobic last night thinking it would a) fold up on me, and b) sink. Indeed, its because of this ive been here a week and yet to get on it. I just assumed it would be a complete dud in hokkaido powder.

I tell you this kiddies, bataleon suits me down to the ground :) Havent had as much fun on a snowboard since last year on the scope. The board KILLS the scope for stability, and when you lock in on a carve you really feel like its on rails. In pow it does sink mind you (though not that bad, indeed it floats better than you might expect) and pressing it feels a little uncontrolled (rider issue). I can get really nice controlled tail presses from the scope but cant seem to pull the airobic up all that much without feeling like im sliding out one way or the other. BUT when you want to tail block, its effortless (though i only know this because my half cabs keep trying to land vertically - probably because im not entirely used to the pop yet :)).

Basically the deck is awesome for stability, and really is catch free. If you dont carve it and its bombing it will start sliding out behind, but getting on a carve was effortless anyway. Id rather be on edge anyhoo when im bombing so its no skin off my nose and it only happened the once, but i figured it was worth echoing the point above just because it is true and can happen.

In the negatives, it hasnt got great float. Its better than the quiver killer, but its nothing like the charlie... obviously. I dont think its got as good float as the indoor/scope either. For nice long tail slides, the scope also wins.

But for forgiveness and happily dropping into switch the airobic wins. Its totally catch free. Finally, its really poppy. Only found its sweet spot a couple of times over little rollers and bobbles on the mountain, but when you do find it, it takes off. I can still ollie easier on the scope, but i reckon thats a technique issue for sure while i get used to ollying on camber again.

All round i cant quite retire the scope because it has some great advantages (float in particular), but damn, the airobics the most fun ive had here so far and i havent even taken it into the park yet :) I still think the funkink would have suited me more (not least because its got a setback on it which would definitely be handy out here) but im really glad that it wasnt just the hype talking. The board was surprisingly more feisty than i expected and definitely holds its own in some of the parts its not really expected to. I do like a good charge, and if theres one thing im okay at its bombing, so i wasnt holding back on it i promise. It gets a bit chattery at high speed, but it doesnt feel like its going to fold on you, and that was just awesome.

It genuinely picked my trip up a bit. Instead of looking at little features and wishing i was on something a little more playful (as i feel riding the charlie), its great to know that im on a deck that eats that stuff up for dinner

All in all, im loving it so far. I cant help but think though that if this board does all that, the evil twin must be raging! As for the riot... :) Basically i dont need a jib board, but i took what i got, and honestly its not making me feel like ive got a deck i dont really want (except through the assumption that if their flexiest board is this fiesty, then the stiffer boards must be freaking insane!)

m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2012 at 8:42pm
I guess i want to do this :) 

Bataleon Riot 2011 

Rider: Ippy; a shameful 165lbs; About 100 days total. Days 1, 2, and 3 of season 5. 
Preferences: Camber. 
Rider Style: CHAAAAAARGE!!!! <boing!> WAAAAAH!!!! <bail!>. 
Board: Bataleon Riot 2011 - 155cm. A little bit shorter than id like (id prefer the 157 to be honest and of the pre-2012 i would have picked the 159 if the place i got it actually had them). 
Conditions: Decent dump all over the resort. Even the paths amongst the trees were soft and fluffy. Probably knee deep freshies on non groomers. Though most were hella choppy and soft pack mogulbahns due to the proportion of skiers hitting them over boarders (probably about 75/25 from my careful scientific observation). 

Preconceptions: This is it! Ive been researching properly for three seasons! this is the board i wanted from the minute i heard about it. To say my preceonceptions were unrealistic is putting it mildly :) 

Edited Highlights (so you can skip the wordcount if you like ;)): 

Good: Pop; very playful; super loose; lively; energetic; super fast edge to edge. 
Bad: Base; unstable; squirly. 

Concluding remark: 

I said to bugs on day 2 that if i was just demoing the board, i wouldnt buy it. I kinda take those words back a little (but not entirely). I should probably hand back my bataleon cheer leading pompoms though :(

The Review:

Waxing the board was a pain in the ass. 
I felt i had to add this point because it was the first real dent in the bataleon fanboy sheen. To put it simply, the point where the flat base meets the angled edge is really really easy to scrape dry. Scraping is already miserable without having extra irritants so it loses points from the off. Once you get used to it though its not a problem, you just have to be suuuuuper gentle around those points. But it was still a bother. 

Speaking of wax, heres another MASSIVE weak point about the deck: By the end of day 1 (after a heavy summer coat (and a second wax specifically at the aforementioned points above after i screwed up the first scraping there), it was sticky and bone dry. Its also kinda slower than i hoped. Its alright when its got a line and can start picking up speed, but when youre dealing with flats and trying to keep up speed there is an issue, and its pretty much down to what exastronaut was saying above:

You cant really sit on your edge. It rides too sharp for a path if that makes sense. Normally on a path you might just tweak or roll from edge to edge, but with the riot youre kinda tweaking from the flat base to the tbt rather than to the edges. When you engage those contacts at relatively slow speeds it feels kinda hooky. At faster speeds its not an issue, but when youre just cruising, you have to really spend it on your base and that means sluggish performance on that kind of terrain. It was kinda disappointing being the person at the back of the group im normally charging away from if im honest :( 

A second and similar complaint is the slidey feeling on the back foot. At speed and transitioning edge to edge theres a moment when the board kinda comes off the rails just a bit. The TBT obviously gives the board a super loose feel, but it also does make it feel a little unpredictable. The edge to edge itself is incredibly quick and you can dig some nice trenches with some super fast turns, but there is just that little moment every now and again when the board feels like its come off the rails and youre not entirely in control of it. 
I really want to blame these two things for a really bad tumble i took, but meh! as much as it caused me to tumble it also saved my ass a couple of times - swings and roundabouts and all that :) 

Okay, thats really the heart of what i dont like about the board: The base dries out way too quick and because you end up riding on your base more than youre maybe used to, this can create a bit of a perfect storm. 

So now to the parts i loved about the board:

Day 1 i loved the board. It was poppy, lively and above all comfortable (up until the tumble on the skyline), day 2 i was wary of it, but by day 3 i was getting my head around it (i even did my first (deliberate) forward somersault on it (into deep pow of course - im not totally mental) just because that nose is so explosive). 

The board definitely leans more towards freestyle. I think the rider that would get a massive kick out of this deck is someone who wants something loose but seriously poppy. The pop on this board is its number one selling point and with good reason; its seriously explosive. By day 3 i was seriously getting to grips with it and starting to feel like i was getting comfortable riding not just the way i wanted to ride (like i did in day 1), but how the board wanted to ride (sounds stupid, but there you go). I think once you start playing to the boards strengths (its pop and looseness), the board starts opening up a bit more and starts to unlock a few of its secrets :) 

Its slow. On flats. Because you cant really get on its edge without feeling like it hooks.
When you have enough time to ramp it up and open the throttle on it, it will bomb. The board is FAST. 

It's fast, its super poppy, and has explosive edge to edge. All around you get the idea what it wants to do. It wants to nuke stuff. :) It wants to charge up every wall and high mark it; it wants to hit every roller/kicker and launch from it. It wants to spin, twist, grind and stomp... but, (and heres the fun part), it also has an off switch for when you just want to cruise. Of course, its pretty stiff, so if you're looking for something with a bit more give for buttering and pressing i would look at the evil twin. But for just spinning about or cruising its rather good fun. It feels like a nice comfy snowboard. Its loose, spinney, and springy. Its *THAT* type of playful. Its not really a butter board, i mean you CAN butter it and all that, its slightly over moderately stiff is all so itll be a bit of work. But unlike with my quiver killer, the tbt really helps in this specific area. If you just want to mellow down and ride, its kinda fine with that :) 

Cant tell you about the park because i didnt hit a single feature :) Pity, because thats what the boards all about i reckons. Well, pity someone good didnt check it out for me :) What the hell would i have said? It rides 50;50s fine? Bleh. 

The conditions at nozawa were pretty much knee deep in ungroomed. It was also pretty damn choppy by day 3 with some heavy tracked skier lines cut in teh steeper parts. On icier stuff it seemed perfectly stable. On the first run of the skyline i deliberately rode a hard edge to see how it felt and it was super stable (the second run had poorer light levels soi couldnt make out the skier cuts as easily). In choppy pow it was fantastic fun, and it didnt feel like i was getting bounced around like i might have on my sierrascope. It didnt blast it mind you, but it was happy to cut through it or bobble over it. No real crud and chop to speak of, but i reckon thats going to be one of the boards strong points (or at least i hope it is). 

Last thing is pow. Its too small for me. I know this. Its hard therefore to give it a fair assessment in this regard. But it did better than i anticipated. It does nose dive, it does get stuck, and you are getting thigh burn, but it also feels playful enough to ride over it. I did find myself (often) remarking that i wish i had my charlie with me, but i dont think that was so much because of the board, it was more that the conditions were perfect for pulling out the charlie. Again though, regarding pow, it felt kinda like a slightly tweaked camber ride. No extra special float or anything like that, but a little less effort than maybe keeping my 157 quiver killer up (when i was three kilos lighter). 

All in all, its a board im still on the fence about. I feel the same about it as i felt about my quiver killer in the middle of last season: i need to give it a bit more time to see what side of the fence it falls on. Its super fun. Its very playful. Its also definitely an aggressive ride but i have this feeling that 3 days of pretty decent pow werent the best conditions to test out the boards actual potential. So maybe ill pop back to this thread later in the season and see how my thinking evolves on it. 

Right now, gun to my head and if i could go back in time, i probably wouldnt drop money on it. Its that little bit of unpredictability that has me reluctant to keep it as my go-to board for this season. It also makes me super reluctant to get on the 2012 changes since it seems to enhance the parts that i found most problematic.  That being said though, it will definitely be taken out almost exclusively for the rest of the season (aside dumps when ill pull out the charlie), so ill have some time to re-evaluate this position. As i said, i felt like it was starting to click on the third day, so a few more days on it and it might end up being the board i thought it was from the preconceptions above. Its kinda there, its just also kinda not there until i get it under control and learn to trust it (or my riding on it) a bit more :) 
m00m
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 6:49am

Some solid reviews in here.

After reading these I feel like I probably wouldn't like the TBT too much. 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 2:57pm
who knows? Its one of those techs that people have always said you need to try for yourself. Im still on the fence 3 days later. 

I want a board that rips like the quiver killer.
But i also want it to have an off switch.

It kinda does both of those things. My only real complaint (aside the base which i believe got a bit of an upgrade for 2012 anyway) is that its just a touch too loose. This was a little surprising since in my head i assumed it would feel a lot tighter... but i guess thats more for boards like the jam, omni and undisputed. Im still a fan, dont get me wrong. It delivers something really unique, i just would like to see it be a little tighter :p If i was designing it (and thank the lord im not), id probably go with something a bit more tweaked. Maybe loose nose like it has, but less tweaked and even borderline flat in the tail. Maybe i should have just picked up the omni after all. Its great in principal and i think i have my head around it, but its just that little bit of unpredictability that catches me out and makes me second guess it. Over time ill adjust to it obviously, and thankfully being a bit of a bataleon fanboy im prepared to put in the snow miles, but first impressions are going to be a little hostile just because it does obviously require a bit of adjustment to my own style. 

The potential though to deliver a playful but stiff and poppy ride though is there. It feels like a really strong aggressive freestyle ride like youd expect from something like the custom x or the quiver killer, but balances this out with a super loose and playful mischief trouble causing shenanigans ride :) Right now it feels like the looseness is intruding a bit when i want it 100% on point. Once i learn to ride it a little better and get that under control im fairly certain it will bridge that ridiculous counter intuitive demand i want in my board. 

Pity the base will still dry out before the days over though :/ Definitely minus 100 points on that though. That wont change :) 
m00m
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 2:58pm

If you are riding flat based, the edges are not contacting the snow at all, so it's like you're standing on a saucer sled. When I'm on a long traverse or carrying through a spot that flats out, I tend to apply just a little bit of pressure on my toe edge to hold my line. I can't do that on this board. A little bit of pressure is not enough for the edge to make contact. In fact, this just rocks the board toward the side base a bit, and you have less contact with the snow, and the board has more of a tendency to slide around on you (typically the tail starts coming around backside).

I don't have any of these issues or feelings when I ride my fun.kink.  I wish I could elaborate more... but I totally don't have any of this.  maybe a prob w/ technique and not so much the technology?
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 3:30pm
i can definitely confirm to feeling both effects on the riot and almost exactly how he described it. I can also confirm i didnt feel either on the airobic :) Well, i felt the slide once as mentioned in the airobic review. I put this down to the airobic not feeling anywhere near as quick as the riot though. 

The second is very likely technique because it occurs when youre just bombing away and not really thinking about making sure you have a hard edge on your carve. That is, you might just be sliding your turns a little more at that moment and that's causing the slide effect. The first though i think is an issue with the design. I didnt really feel it on the airobic, but its definitely quite pronounced on the riot. 

Anyways, bring balance to the force, write a review on yoru fun kink. I think we have 2 jam reviews, 2 riot reviews and 2 airobic reviews so far on the site. Theres definitely space for your impressions on the funkink (and sintexos impressions of the AE twin - not to mention piranhas impression on them all). :) 
Theyre all juust opinions at the end of the day, but it helps people get a sense of it all and thats great. 
m00m
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 6:51pm
Ok Ippy.  I shall try my best with this review. 

* I bought and 1st rode my fun.kink last season 2010-2011 (my 1st day on it was Dec 5th or 6th 2010)

Bataleon Fun.Kink 2010

Rider: MikeD; 190-195lbs; 24 seasons with an average of about 25 days per season.
Preferences: Camber and Hybrid Camber (*Before TBT*)
Rider Style:  Slash, pop, press, ollie, grab, drop
Board: Bataleon Fun.kink 2010- 157cm. About the perfect size for me.  I seem to feel the best riding 157-159 cm boards .
  -Bindings: Union Contacts 2011 (white/ red)
Conditions: I have tried the Fun.Kink in all conditions after 40+ days on it
Preconceptions:  It's on!!!! I had been researching for a season.  I wanted either the fun.kink or the Evil Twin, just something fun to mess around on when the snow conditions are not good for riding my custom.  I found the Fun.Kink was on sale for $207 shipped!!!! How could I pass it up!?!?!?! I was really excited to try TBT out!! 

Good: Pop and lots of it!!! Super playful; super loose; Super fast edge to edge.  More stable than I thought it would be for a board listed w/ a 3.5 flex/ feel (when Brand New.  It has become more flexy since then, w/ about 40 days riding it.  It's prob more of a 3.5 now, it may have been closer to a 5 when new/ the 1st 5-7 days.)
Bad: squirrely ... until U get used to the feel

The Review:
1st impressions of TBT:
TBT feels solid and snappy like reg camber.  I remember how TBT felt 'loose' in the tail compared to reg camber, not in a bad way.. just different. Not less stable feeling IMO.  It is something U naturally adjust to when riding TBT. (it seems natural after 4-5 days I would say) 
I was happy about this! It's one of the reasons I was so intrigued by Bataleon and TBT.
I really don't feel that it's 'loose' now when switching from my Custom to the Fun.Kink or from my Fun.Kink to my Custom.....More that my Custom feels like it's locked in and really flat.  And the Fun.Kink / TBT is more surfy.  So, just a different feel.
TBT feels really 'surfy' to me.  Almost like U are riding fresh snow always (excluding icy spots).  TBT is super catch free!!  U can slide out of almost any situation and not catch an edge!  TBT also handles just fine in icy conditions, even though it doesn't seem like it would, it's 100% good to go on ice!

How the Fun.Kink rides: (with Union Contacts)
  Like I stated above, this board was a little stiffer than the flex/ feel rating implied.  It took about 5-7 days riding it before it loosened up.  The middle of the board seems to have more flex than the nose and tail.  It's a softer board, but by no means is it a noodle. The 3.5 flex/ feel rating seems correct.  The nose and tail feel like 4-ish and the middle more like 3 (since it feels softer/ more flexy than the nose and tail). The Fun.Kink has a lot of pop!  Ollies like a dream!  It's really fast edge to edge!  This board can handle some speed, but not a ton (not the best for carving on groomed blacks or double blacks).  U can rip around on it some though, so it's not like U are stuck in the park all day on this board. This board is at it's best at medium to slow speeds.  Spinning ground tricks, presses and butter are super easy and fun.  It presses well but not automatically.  It does great on boxes, haven't hit rails w/ it.  I haven't hit any medium or bigger kickers (I will when they set up some medium kickers) just smaller jumps, side hits and lip poppers. It handles all of them fine and would imagine it can handle medium-ish sized kickers w/ out a problem.
I haven't tried the Fun.Kink in any significant pow, only 6-8''.  Which it handled OK, but but def not the best for pow (esp/ w/ the contact bindings).

Waxing/ Scraping
Waxing/ scraping a TBT base is def different than a flat based board.  And Like Ippy stated, you can mess up the base at the TBT zones if U aren't careful ( I almost did this scraping my Fun.Kink the 1st time) .  I have found the trick is: #1 PAY ATTENTION to what you are doing!!!! Big smile   #2 Scrap the middle 1st.. then the edges. 

Conclusion
After being on my Fun.Kink for 40+ days now ....I really love my Fun.Kink! And I really love TBT!  I was in love from the 1st day!  The description truly is in the name of the board 'Fun'!  This board is great for someone who is a freestyle rider who likes to lap the park, jibs everything they can find on every run... and I would say it should be great for urban riding too.  Anything that involves rails, gaps/ transitions, sliding.. so, park, jibs, urban, etc.. this board will be awesome for any of it!!

**I feel I have a lot of positive things to say about this board and TBT since I have had a good amount of time to find/ discover the benefits of TBT.  I also ride smaller resorts (for the most part) and have to find the fun... and riding TBT makes that a lot easier.. To me it's like strapping on instant fun! Wink

*Sidenote about the base getting dry*
I feel I need to comment on this too.  My base (extruded on the Fun.Kink) seems to get dry at the edges too.  But, not much more than the base of my custom. When I ride my Fun.Kink I am usually in areas where there are more ppl, so I frequently stop or have to speed check, which can't help the situation.  I ride logs and stumps .. and jib stuff too. not helping the base.. but super fun Smile It also depends on the snow conditions too, of course.  Hard pack or icy conditions def make the base dry on the Fun.Kink.  And the dry zones are def at the edges.  But, when I wax it again it's good to go.  I pretty much wax the edges after each day.  Just a quick crayon/ rub on and hit it w/ the iron, no scrape.  Just a thin new layer, enough for the base to soak it up.  So, it doesn't really bug me too much.  But, def a lil issue w/ TBT I suppose.    But, if I have to put a little more work in to have a lot more fun .... I have no prob w/ that Big smile Wink

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 7:23pm
I just sold my riot and replaced it with the 2011 Evil Twin LE (batazion w/sintered base). 

The riot was an ultra trustworthy board for big jumps, speeding and stuff (surprisingly floaty for a small park board in medium deep pow and slush conditions, too), but it was just too stiff for what I want to do.  What ultimately made me sell was I was having a hard time loading up the tail as much as I wanted for ollies...even after riding it for about 20 days.

[Turns out, the ET feels almost as stiff in the center (only shop flexed it), but is definitely flexier in the tips.]

Scraping wax on TBT is something you do get used to.  Yeah, at first, it seems like an extra hassle, but once you get used to those careful areas, it's not much more effort. Scraping TBT becomes instinct (...just like turning on TBT).  Even in our "wetter" snow, I crayon cold temp wax on the TBT edges and then drip all temp on the entire base.  No biggie and works perfect.

On my freeride TBT board, sometimes I'll power-shred a line, even in chopped pow, that feels so perfect and flowing, it's actually some of the best rushes I've ever had in snowboarding (including those from dropping cliffs, spinning jumps, etc).  I'll stop in awe, turn around and look at my track, and it's perfectly smooth, even through the turns (no wierd kinked up snow or scrapes in my line like my other non-TBT boards).  Hard to explain...but it's real, incredible, and you only get it with TBT.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 8:05pm
see dudes, thsi si why more people need to write reviews of stuff :) Youve both given me stacks to think about. I reckon i will get used to that slide effect and reign it in, and that's a neat trick with the semi hot/quick wax. Never thought of doing that. 

As for the riot, what i really like about it is just how playful it is. I expected it would rip. That's why i bought it after all, but the energy it throws out is insane and when you get that loose playful feel adding to that, it makes you want to bang in to every hit on the mountain. You feel like the thing just wants to smash stuff up (at the fastest speed you can throw on it). Which is probably why they went with the name now i think about it. :) 
m00m
AnthonyBurton View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 8:59pm
Wow that was an extremely detailed review. How long did that take you?
cornedBeef View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 3:38pm
Anyone have complaints with TBT on hardpack?  Or needing to apply extra pressure to get on edge?

In early morning, firm conditions, I found myself slipping out a ton on a Riot.  After a few runs, I was done with that board.  Switched out to a regular cambered board (uninc) and everything was fine.  Before that, in good conditions, I enjoyed TBT.

I don't think the base is that fast in itself, but since you're less on edge and "flat-basing" more often it makes for a decently quick board.  The base dries out very quick (2009 Riot) which may or may not be sintered.

Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 8:08pm
I have not had that prob on hardpack.  But, I also don't ride my fun.kink on much more than blue runs since it doesn't do that great on steeper runs... esp if it's hardpack.  Maybe Piranha can comment.
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 10:10am
Bataleon has changed the factory to Elan for 2012 collection. Now boards feel much different than before. Tweaked the TBT shape. Noses curve up considerably higher. Boards feel much lighter.

Anybody who rode older boards should demo the 2012 ones. They are much tighter IMO.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 11:16am
Most flat boards have a little more effective edge, which is better for steep, icy hardpack (that's why skiers excel there...2X effective edge)...but then you have to worry about catching edges all the time.  That's a trade off, but TBT is so much better at everything else.  I think most will agree, though, TBT is better on hardpack than most rockered boards.

I own three 2012s at the moment, as well two older bataleons (well, I just sold one a couple days ago).  The new Undisputed is exactly the same weight as my old one.  I haven't weighed the other boards, but they feel about the same.  I think the lightness is a fallacy (or so insignificant, it's not even worth mentioning), but the new boards definitely are shaped slightly different.

Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 4:23pm
I'm trying to figure out what to get for my next board/ Bataleon....  I want something all mt, something to replace my 09 custom.  Becuz it's just not fun to ride unless there is good snow conditions here. 
I'm considering 3 dif boards.  The Evil Twin, Goliath and Riot.  I was dead set on getting the ET (still leaning that way)... but I have the fun.kink and fear it will be too similar and I'd end up riding the ET ...and never use my fun.kink ever again.  HAHA. 
So, the Goliath and Riot look inviting for a all mt freestyle type board.  Anyone have and thoughts?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 6:17pm
since I don't really know the conditions in which you ride, take my thoughts with a grain of salt (whatever the eff that means).

Despite the numbers, the Evil Twin is significantly stiffer than the Fun.Kink...and has a sintered base.  It's also has the wider TWIN TBT, which is geared more toward hardpack.  I'd imagine you'de still use your old fun.kink as an early season/rock board or something you don't mind thrashing on rails and stuff....but the ET is going to glide longer and probably pop better.

The Goliath has the same FREESTYLE TBT as the Fun.Kink and is also a twin...but it has a sintered base (starting this season).  It has basically the same stiffness as the ET.

The Riot is an extremely stiff board for a twin...unless you're hitting the biggest booters in the park, this board may not even be an option
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 7:56pm
Thanks Piranha!  That's kinda what I was thinking/ hoping.  I really wanted the ET anyway.....
But was kinda considering the others.  And I did get my fun.kink to beat up basically.  I will continue drooling and lusting after the ET  Big smileLOL thanks
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 8:25pm
I should temper the riot thing. I dont hoit big booters, but i do have an aggressive riding style if that makes sense. I prefer boards with a bit of bite to them that will kick back at me and will hit a serious charge. 

I really think the riot is super playful :) 

And i mean that not because of the tbt, but because of its pop. It just wants to pop from everything. The tbt obviously enhances the spinny side of things, but its really its pop that makes it super fun for me. Its not buttery fun by any means, and it is certainly pretty stiff (its fairly hard to get a solid press out of it), but it does put a massive smile on my face just because it honestly feels like i wants to put a brick through a window :p

Its not a serious board. I mean by that its not got one thing it really wants to do at the exclusion of "FUN". My quiver killer felt way more serious. It wanted to BOMB THE shtook out of everything and launch into space before stomping down and leaving a massive layer of SMASH!!! in its wake. The riot feels a decent bit cheekier for me. It wants to do that, if it can be bothered, but really it just wants to do all that and then do something utterly ridiculous at the end of it as if to say "just shtooking with ya!". Haha, i love anthropomorphising boards :)  What else am i going to say? Its pretty hard to define fun when buttering seems to have become a synonym of it and i dont really have all that much fun buttering :) If you do like an aggressive stick, i reckon its great fun. :) I just need to tighten up my riding on it. 
m00m
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 11:42am
Thanks for the input Ippy!  I have been pretty set on getting the ET... And I was thinking of the Jam for a real ripper!!!.. but maybe I'll go w/ the riot instead.. to keep it on the fun/poppy side.  IDK how good a Jam would be in Michigan except on random 1ft+ pow days.  Riot could be used more I'm guessing.  Or maybe I get the Jam and just move to the Mts for winter Wink LOL
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 4:38pm
The riot got POOONED by yuzawa this weekend. The powder off piste was way deep and my poor little riot didnt stand a chance. But a couple of things to note...

1. The base was much faster. I guess i probably screwed up the scraping last time or something. This time i took a bit mroe care. Left a lot mroe wax on it, and it went pretty quick and didnt dry out.
2. Carving is weird. Its weird because it feels like youre not carving, but i paid attention this time and checked my lines a bit mroe. Sure enough they were nice and pin tracks. 
I think what i was doing was feeling like i was sliding my turns and not getting on my edge properly, and then trying to get on my edge. What actually occured was that i was already riding my edge and instead tried to ride a very hard edge which causes the board to hook a little. 
3. Catch free as ever. No bailing, handles it all.
4. Pop is still mental. But board felt less fun than i hoped. 
5. It cannot handle deep pow at all. Totally out of its element. I expect this though. Its not really my pow board being that its effectively park size for me. Resort pow (up to knees), no probs, but deep pow it gets owned. 
m00m
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 4:55pm
yeah, the first time I tried going off-piste into some knee deep pow, the riot was squirrely....but, a year later, I tried it in some even deeper pow and it worked fine (wasn't great, but it functioned without any squirreliness).  I think the difference was the first time was a flatter area and I didn't have much speed - second time was plenty steep with more speed.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 2:35pm
Took the riot out after benching it for a month...

Im less squirly on it (though it still slides out on occasion). But honestly just not having a lot of fun on it, and ive come to the conclusion why...

Its too small. Thats really the long and short of it. 

Im 76kilos its a 155. 
Its too stiff to be "fun". And too short to really kick off on it. The 158 felt really good in size. So although its kinda nice to throw it about a bit, it takes a tonne of effort to press it (and even then its barely a few inches). Maybe i just want a fun board now. Ill keep it around on the off chance i lose about 7 kilos in the run up to next season, but i reckon ill be pulling out the scope for the rest of the season. 
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply