Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kempeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My first boardslide

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riding Switch
    Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 5:01pm
So last year was my first year snowboarding. I got riding regular down pretty good. I currently have my bindings at +12/-3. Do I need to have more of a duck stance to successfully ride switch? Do I need to make my bindings even at +12/-12? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 5:03pm
no, you just need to try it and figure it out.  its not a fact that its "easier" to ride switch with a symmetrically ducked stance, its just preference like everything else.  learning to ride switch is just like learning to ride in the first place.. practice is what will get you there.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 5:57pm
What ever stance works for you is what I would ride if I were you . Everyone has their own cup of tea they fancy. Just get out there with a screw driver and tweak your bindings till your comfortable. I would get a collapsible screw driver so you dont impale yourself.
chriskot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 6:04pm
I started riding switch more this year and my bindings are at 21 / -9.  I think whatever you're comfortable with is more important than completely mirroring your stance.
snowrestler142 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 6:10pm
I just started riding switch, and my feet arn't set at a complealty ducked out stance.  It really is all what your comfortable with.  I would advice that you measure how much board you have in the nose and tail respectivly though.  Its kind of hard to ride switch if you have a lot more in the nose cuz when you go switch, youll end up having a lot more in the tail and short in the nose, which makes riding kind of hard and awkward.
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 6:15pm
I tried going switch a bit today, and while I was able to connect my turn pretty well I wasn't going fast at all.

My board has a much longer nose than tail and a 1" offset makes it even harder.

Its like trying to write left handed with a pen specially made for right handed people.
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by SLUSHIE

I tried going switch a bit today, and while I was able to connect my turn pretty well I wasn't going fast at all.

Its like trying to write left handed with a pen specially made for right handed people.

that's a really interesting analogy^^

my bindings are FAIRLY ducked and centered.  think about this though-not a TON of people ride true twins (since many twin shaped boards have different flex patterns in the nose and tail), and even fewer people ride an exactly mirrored, centered stance.  By contrast, tons of people can ride switch.  If you ride switch a ton it would probably be helpful to have a MORE centered and MORE ducked stance, but honestly, it's not absolutely necessary.  You will be able to ride switch with your stance the way it is now, although it MIGHT feel better if you ducked out your stance a little bit.

more important than your stance, the thing that helped my switch riding was really mentally committing to riding switch.  Instead of riding like you're riding switch, ride like you're regular instead of goofy (or goofy instead of regular).  try to rid yourself of the mental sensation that you're going backwards-pretend that whatever foot is forward, that's your front foot.  that helped me out.
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
satoru View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
my board

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 7:09pm
for me it was just pushing and pushing.
even if it makes you look like a newbie in the beginning it will pay off in the end.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 11:21pm
It might help but it isn't essential. I found my body/switch foot preferred a different angle anyway.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 11:40pm
If you've been riding regular for any length of time, probably any stance is going to feel relatively awkward riding switch.  But duck makes the most logical sense if the idea is to provide the same basis for learning in either direction.

What I've learned is that my left eye is apparently dominant.  Yep, you have a dominant eye too.  For me, that makes riding switch a bit more awkward since I feel like I see better while facing to my left than to my right.
dy3versity View Drop Down
Local
Local
Fresh Pow!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 11:53pm
In my opinion the hardest thing I had to over come when right switch is the timing of my knee bend.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 12:32am
Originally posted by satoru

for me it was just pushing and pushing.
even if it makes you look like a newbie in the beginning it will pay off in the end.

been looking like a noob on the bunnies trying to do switch its hard work!
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 1:52am
i've been trying to do atleast one run switch and dang it sucks, feel like an absolute retard....

however, i have noticed an increased ability when carving and just fulling around...
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 2:00am
i've been messing around with 15/12 and 15/9, only good thing about riding switch is prac'ing my butters at the same time :)
Flpstyl View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 3:14am
It sucks going back to the short bus.  Been boarding for over 10 years riding anything and everything to going back to the green runs riding switch.  I just can't help becoming an amby turner when i try riding switch.  Dayam you muscle memory.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 3:48am
set your bindings duck, go back to the bunny slope, and do EVERYTHING switch.  skate switch, load/unload switch, ride switch. 

Do this for 2-3 days and the amount of coordination and confidence you'll gain in your switch riding is insane.  It's like learning how to ride all over again, but now you know what feels right and the curve will be much more mellow as you learn.  just gotta put in the time.
-zakk

nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 4:11am
in the offseason i actually practiced on a skate board and on a balancing ball. just practice heel/toe with you other foot is all you need. then try to find a medium for your bindings. its takes practice. i second the bunny slopes idea.
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 4:23am
yea i try riding switch to and im goffy but im getting better but its hard to keep balance whats the best way to practice? or is it just try to ride switch and learn slowly
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 4:28am
Originally posted by zakk

set your bindings duck, go back to the bunny slope, and do EVERYTHING switch.  skate switch, load/unload switch, ride switch. 

Do this for 2-3 days and the amount of coordination and confidence you'll gain in your switch riding is insane.  It's like learning how to ride all over again, but now you know what feels right and the curve will be much more mellow as you learn.  just gotta put in the time.

This is great advice.  My bindings are set to +15/-10.  I rode completely switch for 3 straight days last season.  It is quite annoying when you know all you have to do is turn around and bomb down the mountain.  But it's great help in the long run.  180's become much easier once you can reasonably ride switch.  I also found my reverse camber board easier to ride switch because the edges are less catchy.
endeaveri View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 4:45am
It's not super crucial but I find duck stance helpful to get rid of that little awkwardness when you look the other way.  Personal preference though...
jokim View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 4:46am
i ride with +15/-12, before it was +15/-9 but the more switch i ride the more i want to change it. going to set mine as +15/-15.
insemnia View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 5:22am
My personal preference is to have my normal front side leg opened slightly for comfort.  My backside leg is straight (90 degree angle / perpendicular to the board).  This allows me to be very comfortable in my normal stance, and not uncomfortable in the reverse.  Obviously, it's more comfortable for me in my standard stance, but I don't want to sacrifice more than that since I'm only reversed for about 10% of my run.  I'm not an expert though, but I just adjusted it to what I felt comfortable with.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 5:40am
Originally posted by insemnia

My personal preference is to have my normal front side leg opened slightly for comfort.  My backside leg is straight (90 degree angle / perpendicular to the board).  This allows me to be very comfortable in my normal stance, and not uncomfortable in the reverse.  Obviously, it's more comfortable for me in my standard stance, but I don't want to sacrifice more than that since I'm only reversed for about 10% of my run.  I'm not an expert though, but I just adjusted it to what I felt comfortable with.

the idea is being ready to ride switch when you need to.  side hits are way easier on your toe edge, riding out of tricks in the park, getting out of hairy situations on the trees, traversing, etc. 

riding switch is much more helpful once you are off the groomers...
-zakk

kempeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My first boardslide

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:20am
Well, it's wierd to me because I used to skate as a kid goofy. Now that I'm on a snowboard it just doesn't feel the same for whatever reason. I guess I'll make my bindings true duck and try it out.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:41am
Yep, just gotta get out there and do it.  Over and over and over again.
<-This picture of my head is the result of trying to ride switch and falling head first into the early season hardpack.  I learned from this to: 1. Wear a helmet and 2. To be more mindful of my edges when learning to ride switch.
Now when I ride switch I don't think or worry about catching an edge that much.  Confidence comes with practice, my friends.
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:50am
I love riding switch now..started getting last season..but progressed more this year..at the beginning of this season, I'd force myself go down the mountain just switch (stance 15/-7 initally..but changed to 15/-15)..now, I ride it comfortably even when hauling @s$..now, I don't have to rely on just one leg when I hit up Tahoe! yay!! now I'll last more than half a day up there! YES!!!!

tEh_snow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:52am
it difficult for me cuase my right foot is domanint and i usally use that as my power foot to kick the board it to carves and my left foot as a lead foot to angle my self so to switch it up to me is really hard cuase i try use tomuch power in my front foot when rideing switch so i start to use my wieght and get lower and digg that edge in and steer with my wieght
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:55am
A nice way to learn switch is to ride with a beginner.  Teach them how to ride and learn switch at the same time.  You will be going slow anyway, might as well practice your switch. 
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:02am
there is great advice in this thread. Commitment is the best. Focus on rocking switch for a full couple days, don't puss out, and you'll be impressed with how quickly it becomes more easy. I agree that once you can do it, its fun, flopping back and forth...landing switch and riding out clean is a good feeling. I found that spinning on the snow (i.e., linked 180's or back-to-back rotations) really helped with my edge control, and improved my switch riding tons. Not sure if im being clear...just spin as long as you can while riding down mellow slopes, keeping your uphill edge in contact with the snow.

EDIT: sorry, forgot the main question. 21, -9, thinking about balancing it out a little bit, but can ride either way fine.
Word bird.
elmers_cow View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:54am
can always get those bindings that swivel. You will never have to worry about what degree your bindings are set at AGAIN! haha
let it snow
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 10:14am
i ride +15, -8 and its just fine riding switch. im probly gunna bump it down a little to 12 
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
hise442 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Method

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:27am
My bindings are set up at +18 -12 and riding switch feels pretty good like i can do whole runs switch.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:50am
I just practice when I am with beginners.. usually best time..

my bindings are at +15 -10 (approximately) and goofy
east4life View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:54am
i like riding switch at +15 -15
croush View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Snowflex!

I am learning to ride switch to, and i had to make it a more ducked stance; mine were set at +15 -3 before
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

ive been trying lately too and i suck, some ski patrol guy came by and told me to try leaning back more so idk i guess lean back more ha
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 12:03pm
if u most, don't go as far as -12 in the back if your front is 12. do like 12/-9.
i ride 21/-18 and 12/-9 on the other board and ride switch great.
you jus need to get use to it. don't puss out, 3 runs on switch will get you comfortable on it.
Maximus View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 2:02pm
You dont need to do anything. Figure out the most comfortable stance for you. A park right like myself, however, prefers the duck stance for easy switch to reg riding. I personally prefer a 15, negetive 15 stance. For shizzle. 
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 5:29pm
take a friend who is a noob and while they try to learn how to board, u can learn switch.
dance like no one's watching
jayku View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by BboyTommy

take a friend who is a noob and while they try to learn how to board, u can learn switch.

i may do that...  ;)
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 5:47pm
riding "more duck" l think if your going to be easier on your body and neck simply becauseyou have to counter rotate more. l had a sore neck once because l was praticing switch on a pretty direction stance. might wanna take that into consideration
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 6:30pm
Definitely not going to hurt having a symmetrical stance and always a good idea to play around with your stance anyways.

Switch progression will happen a lot faster than you think as long as you stick with it.  It is crazy how quickly you can go from total newb to competent switch rider.  I would spend the morning bombing runs when the runs are best and then spend the late morning and afternoon dedicating myself to freestyle riding which meant a lot of switch riding.  Switch riding makes you not only a better rider but snowboarding so much more fun in general...definitely stick to it because the payoff is more than worth it.
G_man View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
wut u lookin' at

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:17pm
Not to threadjack...but I have a question. I have mine set up +21/+6. Does that sound alright? Not for switch, but basically carving?
shop_45296 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:21pm

that's what i thought when i started riding switch, but then i set up my board goofy and i had no problems at all riding regular (with the extra 1" on the back foot).
its not the gear, its the rider.
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 7:58pm
the angles are a matter of preference to the rider.  The ducked out stance does help with riding switch for me and most people, but for some it may not.  I just kept completely comitting to riding switch and started like I was a beginner hitting the easy slopes.  I advanced from there

chwl3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:18pm
The bindings set up definitely would help switch if you had it close to duck stance, not a ton. Notice most freestyle pros have binding set-up either duck stance, or pretty close to duck stance. I'm 18/-15 and it's my second season, beginning of this season, i started going down greens switch, and now I can go down blues switch so hopefully I'll be able to go down blacks soon. My stance is almost duck stance, and I find it easier not just for switch but as well as regular, and balancing on rails and jumps. I say you try bunch of different binding set ups that are duck stance or close to duck stance and pick the most comfortable.
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 3:36am
Learn to ride switch, then worry about binding position. Of course make sure you can ride, but just like you needed to learn to board before you knew the position you wanted to ride regular, you need to learn to board switch to learn to ride switch. I learned switch by simply turning my board around, bindings at +10/-5
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 5:33am
Originally posted by zakk

the idea is being ready to ride switch when you need to.  side hits are way easier on your toe edge, riding out of tricks in the park, getting out of hairy situations on the trees, traversing, etc. 

riding switch is much more helpful once you are off the groomers...

This is true.  Switch is not only good for riding out of tricks off a rail or jump...  I found switch riding through trees was really helpful when you don't have room to make a turn.   Also when traversing, you might get tired on one edge... you can switch to another edge.

Border411 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 8:02am

This my problem as well.  My board is defintily directional, which complicates things a bit.  I have my bindings at 12/-12, so it is possible, but I rarely do it.
Thats right....Im a cop, and I snowboard. FYI-I like skateboarders-So dont be an ass when you see me!
Palmer Honeycomb 4 156/Technine MFM Bindings/Vans Fargo Boots/Emma P Wide 159/Toyota 4Runner
Evilives View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nuclear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 5:31pm
I actually learned switch when I first started as a go around of using my toe edge since I fell a lot using it my first couple times. So I would just go switch, and use my heel edge.

On the stance subject, riding duck stance just makes it easier, you can do it on any stance.
"Don't think, just do."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>