Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Suggestion: Karma
    Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:01am
First things first, this was not my idea, I'm getting it from Newschoolers.com a skiing website. It works pretty well for them and I cannot think of a reason why not to implement it here, it would help forum users secure that they are legit buyer/seller without having to search through a whole thread to find someone. And not saying we need this instantly, but it would be a good future update imo... I know Trusnow is still doing a lot of stuff.

The Plan: A little revised
Just like Newschoolers.com does with their members we need a feedback page on your profile that people can go onto and post their thoughts of you, if you were a good seller/buyer, but only that. I don't think people should be able to post hate comments of you like how mad you made them, the one thing newschoolers does a lot. It would help get new members that are trying to sell/buy things get a good rep fast and get trusted before to long, which would be a really nice thing. Also shows all the problems people have had with your buying/selling, for me I would probably have slow shipping and people could see that and make a choice from there. Seems like a good system that works great for newschoolers, personally I love it. Once again it lets you know the persons actions and if you should deal with them or not.

Karma: Just like newschoolers has, karma. People can put on a scale of 0-10. If they helped you with something obviously you would put +karma. If someone goes into your thread and is a total jerk then obviously -Karma. This deals more with the hating factor than the feedback portion does imo. This helps rule out the jerks and point out the helpers, which could be a bad thing could be a good thing.

I'm not all wanting karma as much as the feedback, we could do without karma but I still think every member needs a feedback wall of what people have posted so others don't have to do a serious amount of digging or creating new threads to find out if they are legit sellers/buyers.

Thoughts below; comments on improvement/suggestions
How do I add a poll? LOL
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Ginger

How do I add a poll? LOL

Topic options => add a new poll

Some sort of feedback option has been suggested in the past, and I still like the idea. Two things immediately come to mind: 1) new ownership doesn't seem to be as invested in the community, so not sure how likely improvements like will be 2) Karma system doesn't support driving sales to the shop side, which is the primary concern of said new ownership. That combined with #1 makes it unlikely anything like this will happen, IMHO. Still, never hurts to dream. 

Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Ginger

First things first, this was not my idea, I'm getting it from Newschoolers.com a skiing website. It works pretty well for them and I cannot think of a reason why not to implement it here, it would help forum users secure that they are legit buyer/seller without having to search through a whole thread to find someone. And not saying we need this instantly, but it would be a good future update imo... I know Trusnow is still doing a lot of stuff.

The Plan: A little revised
Just like Newschoolers.com does with their members we need a feedback page on your profile that people can go onto and post their thoughts of you, if you were a good seller/buyer, but only that. I don't think people should be able to post hate comments of you like how mad you made them, the one thing newschoolers does a lot. It would help get new members that are trying to sell/buy things get a good rep fast and get trusted before to long, which would be a really nice thing. Also shows all the problems people have had with your buying/selling, for me I would probably have slow shipping and people could see that and make a choice from there. Seems like a good system that works great for newschoolers, personally I love it. Once again it lets you know the persons actions and if you should deal with them or not.

Karma: Just like newschoolers has, karma. People can put on a scale of 0-10. If they helped you with something obviously you would put +karma. If someone goes into your thread and is a total jerk then obviously -Karma. This deals more with the hating factor than the feedback portion does imo. This helps rule out the jerks and point out the helpers, which could be a bad thing could be a good thing.

I'm not all wanting karma as much as the feedback, we could do without karma but I still think every member needs a feedback wall of what people have posted so others don't have to do a serious amount of digging or creating new threads to find out if they are legit sellers/buyers.

Thoughts below; comments on improvement/suggestions
How do I add a poll? LOL

BECAUSE THEY'RE SKIIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just messing around man.  I think most reputable sellers who sell things here often get positive feedback/comments when they put something up for sale.  Plus people often just add the link to their ebay account where they have 99% feedback rating, etc.  Seems like another positive thing to add to ensure that people don't get screwed over, but might be a little unnecessary?

2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:09am
I havn't gotten a good seller comment on my stuff I'm selling right now, even though I sell/buy on here a ton... A ton. And ya that's why I said possibly a future update when they get settled down, not a necessity atm but it would help, and it's easier then linking ebay accounts, which could be fake.
Furb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:11am
 I approve of this message. But like fost said... new ownership isn't as involved with "community"
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:14am
I think Doug or another staff member discussed leaving feedback. I agree it'd be a great idea. But i think the prevention of people spamming negative feed back was what was keeping them from implementing. I'll have to see if I can find the original thread.

One suggestion while I'm at it is an "advanced" search function so it makes it easier to find a thread. maybe narrow a search by forum or date range?

good ideas though ginger
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:19am
I spend time on newschoolers as I also ski as well as snowboard.  I think the feedback is a good idea, but to be honest our classifieds is not nearly as busy as their is.  People here would not have that much feedback as there are not that many sales made here.  but it's always a good idea to show the legit sellers.  I don't really think we have a problem with scammers here though. Karma system is good but I don't honestly see such a point of it.  
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:32am
I'm actually surprised more people don't get scammed on this thread.  It's a huge problem on car sites. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:36am
negative karma for Ginger for not how to add a poll......... hahaha

and +1 to everything Fostpaint said.......
started by flossers making floss for flossers
Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:38am
agree with rook and fost, i know people have wanted some sort of rating system for some time but it just isn't looking like it's going to happen.

Say Shhhhhh...
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by furbyyy

I approve of this message. But like fost said... new ownership isn't as involved with "community"
Understatement of the year right there.  Isn't AS involved with the "community" implies they are active in some way.  The new owners have NEVER come on here and said hello we are the new owners etc......  I guess they paid all that money for the site to have a built in customer base instead of helping to continue to build the community.

Anyways good idea Ginger but I don't see it happening. 
www.chargeharder.com
asd2009 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:44am
ive been a part of other forums that have things like karma points only they were reps and negs. personally i thought that system fostered a lot of weird popularity bs on the forum that made the forum a lot less about what its supposed to be about and more about who likes who. I like trusnow's point system of contributing and especially tying that into discounts and freebies... awesome perk that ive never seen before.
Id suggest (even though my opinion doesnt mean much) to have a seller review sort of thing, which is aside from anything like karma or points. This could rate people as sellers and post comments about it.
personally im surprised how well the classifieds already work, Ive never heard of anyone or have been ripped off (and i just made my first sale!). In the meantime, if anyone ever does get ripped off I think they should start a thread to let everyone know to not trust or buy from the buyer (idk if this has ever happened already). but thats just my two cents.
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 8:59am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Originally posted by furbyyy

Understatement of the year right there.  Isn't AS involved with the "community" implies they are active in some way.  The new owners have NEVER come on here and said hello we are the new owners etc......  I guess they paid all that money for the site to have a built in customer base instead of helping to continue to build the community.

Its a great disappointment the way Trushow has turned out.  Sierra had something really unique going.  Unlike most forums which are sponsored by businesses, the community was strongly integrated into the business operation.  Owners and staff were active participants not because it was their job, but because they wanted to be.  Yeah members got discounts, but more than that there was quality information on products.  Not to mention the community events, and hours of endless entertaining banter on the forums..

Now it seems the ownership has let it regress to a forum on the side they they just happen to run.  Honestly, even the forum content quality seems to have degraded.  It has the feeling that members are starting to back away from participation.  Before you know it it'll be down to nothing but juvenile trolls and n00bs asking about which board to buy/waxing/stomp pads.
Dsturs View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:24am
I would support this. I have sold a lot on here, and a way to show your not a scammer would bring more sales. Maybe trusnow could put a few small adds on the forum part, to make it more of a self sustaining separate entity.
bigbouldersucks
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:38am
Yea its a pretty big problem for multiple things people just need to keep looking out for themselves 
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by heisenbise

Its a great disappointment the way Trushow has turned out.  Sierra had something really unique going.  Unlike most forums which are sponsored by businesses, the community was strongly integrated into the business operation.  Owners and staff were active participants not because it was their job, but because they wanted to be.  Yeah members got discounts, but more than that there was quality information on products.  Not to mention the community events, and hours of endless entertaining banter on the forums..

Now it seems the ownership has let it regress to a forum on the side they they just happen to run.  Honestly, even the forum content quality seems to have degraded.  It has the feeling that members are starting to back away from participation.  Before you know it it'll be down to nothing but juvenile trolls and n00bs asking about which board to buy/waxing/stomp pads.

I couldn't have said/described it better... supposedly they lurk around and pay attention to whats going on but that doesn't really reflect in the way they handle things.

And as to not hi-jack the thread.. I think adopting a similar system to what they have going on @ newschoolers is a great idea.  It has been tossed around before but nothing came of it..... who knows what the future holds...
MOAR powderz plz!
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:57am
I think another idea for the TruSnow website would be a more streamlined approach to the "Site" search.  Like giving options to view not only the Thread name, but maybe the OP, the last date and time that a reply was posted, and other useful information so that it wouldn't be so damn hard to find a thread that I'm looking for.  When the Google search gives me 1,000+ results, that's good for them but I can't spend the time looking through each and every one of those to find a recent conversation.  Plus, this might help newbs navigating the site as well.
tm12881 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 9:59am
I agree with the new owners not being involved with the community. However, Ginger has a good idea to add to the community. I hope they can implement it somehow.
Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:52am
Originally posted by MTpow

I couldn't have said/described it better... supposedly they lurk around and pay attention to whats going on but that doesn't really reflect in the way they handle things.

And as to not hi-jack the thread.. I think adopting a similar system to what they have going on @ newschoolers is a great idea.  It has been tossed around before but nothing came of it..... who knows what the future holds...
yes and yes, totally feel the same way and it's pretty unfortunate.  i felt like sierra really got a lot of people more into the sport, not just by making things more affordable but by building and maintaining a great community that really helped everyone out.

at least the forums aren't shut down completely, even if they do seem different in a short amount of time.
Say Shhhhhh...
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Boogeyman24

Originally posted by MTpow

yes and yes, totally feel the same way and it's pretty unfortunate.  i felt like sierra really got a lot of people more into the sport, not just by making things more affordable but by building and maintaining a great community that really helped everyone out.

at least the forums aren't shut down completely, even if they do seem different in a short amount of time.

I agree.  The new owners could care less about the community.  All they wanted with their money when they bought the site was prob the inventory and the customer base.  They didn't care about fostering the community or contributing to it at all.  I haven't seen anything from the new owners to prove to me otherwise. 

The suggestion the OP makes is good, but I doubt the new owners care enough to implement such a system
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 12:07pm
I personally don't care for a "karma" system, because I think it would easily turn into the current points system.  People would just give karma to whoever they wanted, including friends, just back and forth for no reason.

Anywho, I STRONGLY suggest a sticky thread in the Classifieds section that basically would allow us to put usernames of those people that we approve of, and also that we disapprove of.  Basically a list of Good and Bad.  Maybe call it Santa's List of Traders?  Anywho, it would require a user to submit the person in question to a moderator, and then provide facts/reasons as to why they think they should be added to the good/bad list.

I for one am in the process of getting f**ked over by somebody on here and was lucky enough to force him to complete the sale through Paypal.  I haven't heard a peep out of this piece of sh!t for almost 3 weeks now and am currently in the process of making a claim on Paypal.  Will eventually get my money back, but it's a frickin' hassle and takes a lot of time.
http://thench.com/garage/
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 12:16pm
then vote for it on the other thread... I don't care much for karma either..
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 12:21pm

I like the sound of a feedback system. It is part of the reason why I don't buy anything from the classified. I don't like gambling with my money/risky transactions. I could go either way on the karma.

Post Reply Post Reply