Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Drift View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australia (perisher) vs New Zealand-
    Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 4:49pm
Hi guys, planning a ski trip this year, originally was going to go to perisher, then a friend wanted to go to new zealand, so I looked it up and lots of people seemed to recommend queenstown over anything in aus. After some research, and advice from a friend I found out a few things which may or may not be true.

New Zealand ski slopes around queenstown mostly use t-bars, without many proper ski-lifts available. The mountains seem very small compared to Australian resorts (which already arn't very big), apparently snowfall can be rather unpredictable? Making it a little troublsome to plan a 2 week holiday 6 month in advance. Often mountains are shut down, or restricted due to weather, with no way of really finding out till you get there. And of course no on-mountain acomodation, though I think that may be part of the point of camping out in Queenstown anyway.

Now, none of these issues came up before when I mentioned this elsewhere, can anyone confirm whether or not these are actual issues? The alternative is most likely Perisher, but if anyone has better ideas for an Australian resort it'd be great to hear them. Some of the group will be new to skiing/snowboarding. Thanks for any advice!
tp1_kenobi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Top of the Volcano, New Zealand

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 2:47pm
I would say the later you wait in the southern hemi winter the better you're off for NZ.  It will be troublesome planning a trip 6 months in advance, but I wouldn't hit the NZ slopes till after August IMO.  The weather here is very unpredictable and the beginning of winter will be a wasted trip.

In Queenstown you've got other things to do than skiing/boarding if the weather turns for the worst.  Lots of bars and extra curriculars around the area.  Also, there's 3 resorts here and 1 could be open if the other 2 are closed.

The t-bars do exist in NZ and they are more prevalant on the upper slopes of resorts any almost all of the club fields here.  I haven't done the south island for boarding though so perhaps someone else can chime in.

I can't say much about OZ since I've never been, but anyone who has been to QT and posted it here has enjoyed it.  From the Aussies who have posted here in the past, many of them prefer NZ over OZ (specifically QT). 
jdub95 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 3:46pm
From someone who lives in Aus and rides NZ most years, I'd say NZ is the way to go. Cheaper passes, more to do and just a nicer place in general, also snowfall is much better than Aus most years. I've only ridden at Cardrona and Snow Park though so I can't really speak on behalf of the north island but I hear they get more snow and a longer season.

In terms of where to stay I prefer Wanaka, it's just quieter and closer to Cardrona and Snow Park.

Oh and yeah I agree with kenobi, there's plenty of normal chairlifts, t-bars and nutcrackers are pretty much confined to the club fields.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2011 at 4:01pm
+1 for NZ
went to nz first time last year
if you go for more than 5 days it works out cheaper than local trip
believe air nz having special at the moment.....have a geezer

i think i did one tbar while in NZ, (rest was lifts)
was at coronet peak for the far far right side of the mountain
i didnt like coronet peak...my less favourite place in QT resorts (and the most expensive)

remarks is excellent for real beginners, because you dont even have to pay anything for the magic carpet....believe perisher are still charging full price for people to use it Dead

Planning....its up to mother nature....weather is so hard to predict even 1 week before hand...so many times i went perisher and it was bucking rain....still pay full price ticket and board....i mean i drove 6 hours for this crap LOL

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
Drift View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 5:01am
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Sadly plans have changed a bit and might actually try for Buller this year and get a bigger group together for a better trip to NZ next year as a bunch are fretting over having to plan it... I know Buller is very touristy, but it's a good slope for learners and very easy to book for (thanks to it's touristyness) Plus, lift tickets are cheaper and should be able to score a few free ones.

Thanks anyway, definetly plan to do New Zealand eventually :)
infernoflo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 5:50pm
I apologise in advance for not knowing, but do you guys have any recommendations on mountains that are driveable from Sydney?  I plan on visiting family in a few months and I'm just trying to get an idea.  I hear it may be decent enough to go snowboarding around then however i'm limited to a car ride (since i dont' want/can't afford to fly).  Also about how many hours away would the slopes be from Sydney?  thanks!
jerry000 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 6:15pm
i dont know where youre from but if you are planning a trip to ride, go somewhere you know is gonna have snow..if its unpredictable snow fall dont risk it..go somewhere in the western US where they have snow
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 8:26pm

the two big mountains in NSW are Thredbo and perisher

and generally speaking....if one has snow the other has snow also
driving distance is the same for both
drivable? its about 5+ hours from sydney
so not a one day kind of thing unless your desperate LOL

hmm season doesnt start until about july however and generally speaking its really sketchy at the beginning of the season
even the snow guns are powering up enough Dead

so yeah unless your desperate....board in the states Wink

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
infinite View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 12:33pm
Another alternative from Sydney is Mount Selwyn, approx same distance as Perisher/Thredbo.

Selwyn is smaller but it is focused on families and is fantastic for beginners. I learnt the basics of the board at Selwyn before moving onto the bigger resorts. Selwyn is also a good deal cheaper.

As always  I advise keeping an eye on cams, weather reports.

Sh4d0w View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 12:53pm
Drift, had you considered Falls Creek for your trip down south? Falls is 17% beginner and 60% intermediate.. And it has a park for the more experienced. Lift passes are also around $100 cheaper for a week.. Plus they have night skiing/boarding on Wombats. Just a thought! :)
Drift View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 2:59am
oh, no I hadn't, thanks for the tip Shadow, will def look into it :)
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 3:31am
i often go Mt buller on day trips because its closest, i've been to falls for a weekend and NZ for a week last year.

if you have the money..definitly have to try queenstown, the remarkables is good, don't bother with coronet peak.. very icy when i went... down side is that there is no on mountain acc, but will only take 15-30min to drive up.

falls creek.. if ur staying longer than a weekend i'd say go there.. or hotham...lift tix is approx the same.. i just find them less crowded and more snow than buller

mt buller is shorter distance from melbourne.. very crowded..especially at the begineer lifts..i'd say would be good for a weekend or shorter..i usually stay at a lodge here.. easy to get around, there's a free suttle bus that goes aroudn the village.

anyway i hope this helps a little.
ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 10:38am
I was at Queenstown 4 years ago from Australia. When I ride in Australia I hit up Perisher. So I will give you my opinions.

PRICE: Back then I got a package from Sydney to Christchurch with 7 days accom and 5 days lift pass to 4 resorts, and car hire for $1200 AUS. That was booking an early bird, the price went up a bit more if you left it to the last minute. Using the excuse that it is too hard to organise is crap, just get in there... half the fun is booking crap So taking all this in, comparing it to Australian slopes it actually works out to be very competitive. Take in to account that you are boarding in a totally new place as well.

SNOW: Ever since I have gone I have kept an eye on the reports since. It seems odd, but if Australia is having a bad season, New Zealand seems to go well. If Australia is having a good season, New Zealand is either poor or on par. The runs at Coronet peak to the left side of the mountain are actually pretty long compared to Perisher runs if thats what you are familiar with. We were happy to ride the same run all day to be honest! You will feel the leg burn if you don't stop the whole way.

Now this is where I got lucky, I got blue bird days for the whole week. I have never experience NZ in whiteout conditions and I would imagine it would be terrible due to the fact that they are above the tree line. There are no trees for shelter, which also means that there are no trees to play in!

APRÉS SKI Queenstown is awesome, there are so many bars to chose from, every night is a Saturday night and you will have as much fun off the slopes as on. This is where Queenstown craps all over ANYWHERE in Australia and probably in the world... seriously, it is boss. Having said that, if your idea of a trip is to Snowboard, then chill out with a few quieties. Head to Wanaka instead as it is a bit more chilled.

AUSTRALIAN OPTIONS If you have to choose between Perisher and Buller. Perisher hands down. I was at Buller last year when only half the resort was open due to lack of snow. It got boring pretty quick and the lift lines were the worst I have ever encountered. 30 minute waits and no I am not kidding. I have the photos to prove it. It is so crowded on the front slopes that it is dangerous for every one. I will never head back to that mountain in the winter. Perisher is massive, you can escape crowds and explore the whole mountain in a day. Start at Perisher, head over to Blue Cow, then hit up Guthega for lunch, back to blue cow, back to Perisher, then finish up the day over at Mt Perisher.
::LOW INTENTIONS::
gravey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2011 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Drift

Plus, lift tickets are cheaper and should be able to score a few free ones.

lift tickets are cheaper? since when? Maybe if you can get a few free ones.

Mt Buller 1 Day Pass = $105AU
Cardrona 1 Day Pass = $89NZ (take 30% for AU conversion)

Lesson and ski rental are also more exxy

@ Buller, if you have a down day you have nothing to do except drink.

In NZ Food on-mountain is actually half-decent and doesnt cost all that much compared to Australian resorts. Food in QT and Wanaka is great and well priced.

The snow is better - even in a bad year NZ is on par with AU....in a good year NZ is the bomb.

To me skiing in Australia is an exercise in burning money (especially Buller) and if you wanted to maximise your boarding pleasure then NZ wins hands down.

Good luck if you do decide on Buller....you'll need it!
 Post Reply Post Reply