Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
c0r3yp View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and my cousin.. yeah im wearin jeans.. scrub day lol

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hardest fall
    Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 5:42am
what was your hardest/ worst fall youve ever taken?? mine was my first year and i caught edge going really fast and spun around and hit my head on the ground and blacked out for like 3 mins i guess Shocked
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 5:45am
broken my clavical and tore mcl awhile back....biggest dinger though...wasn't really a dinger but at Loveland, not sure at all what happened. Did a few high speed cartwheels and found my goggles 50 yards back
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 5:55am
Mine was after landing a jump, nothing real bad..I just was so excited I yelled "yea!"..caught my front edge and went face first...lol.  It was soo funny..I had snow all up in my goggles and my friend and I were laughing.
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:00am

I was doing some fast carving from a blue to a green run last year and somehow caught an edge.  It happened so fast but i was able to pull my arms in towards my chest and landed on my front shoulder and chest area.  Knocked all of the wind out of me and I laid there for a good 20 seconds before I moved

When I could move I was literally checking to see if anything was broken as everything hurt, luckily I was ok.

it was definitely one of those ones where everyone that saw it probably said, "OHHH damn" or similar
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:07am
About 5 years ago i hit a 30ft table, cased the landing which shot me back into the air and spun me around and landed on my neck. Instant pain in my legs and arms, had to lay there about 5 minutes before i could get up. decided to drive home (about 2 hours) when i got home i realized something was really wrong, took my self to the ER and an hour later...it is determined i had fractured my T-10 vertebrae. Still to this day i have issues with nerve damage and the occasional mandatory bed rest for a day or two. Lesson of the day? let neck/back injury's heal totally before heading getting back on a board.     
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:10am
the hardest lve hit was when l was learning, didn't know how to stop. So l went down straight and didnt know how to stop, then l started turning automatically and caught the front edge. did a few barrel row and landed on my tail bone. Felt like l had to take a crap and sat there for like 4 min
dabomb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:12am
Went on a sloped box that launched me 20 ft. in the air. First jump ever. Landed on my face and bounced twice while losing my goggles and board.
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:15am
Originally posted by dabomb

Went on a sloped box that launched me 20 ft. in the air. First jump ever. Landed on my face and bounced twice while losing my goggles and board.

ur board came off??
ColaLover View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:26am
When i was doing a trick on a box and landed on the box with my butt.
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:37am
one where i almost dislocated my elbow it sucked!  it was when i was first learning now i never fall unless i hit a jump wrong 
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 6:50am
Well, this year I belly flopped off of a jump....ouch. Not even sure how that happened, I remember going for the drop in and waking up being like uhhh where am I..oh I'm laying in the middle of a jump. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:10am
late last season, I launched air off a pow roller and caught edge on landing - violently sent me face first.  Saw stars and heard ringing on that one...plus, when I finally found my beanie and goggles, they were yards away and packed with snow...that was one of the falls that hurt the worst

honorable mention had to be earlier last season when I was riding deep pow at my local resort and then I just fell off the edge of the earth...meaning I mistakenly rode off a 15-20 foot unmarked cliff that I couldn't even see when riding up to it (it was an optical illusion that literally looked like the pow field just kept going).  Luckily, the snow drift at the bottom was about 10 feet deep, plus the massive surface area of my powder board, kept me from breaking my back...I just stood there, up to my chest in pow, in shock.  My spine got a little compressed from the flat landing but I rode the rest of the day o.k.

c0r3yp View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and my cousin.. yeah im wearin jeans.. scrub day lol

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by ColaLover

When i was doing a trick on a box and landed on the box with my butt.
yeahh that hurts reeaallyyy  bad it doesnt sound like it would be that bad but it does thats happend to me before and it took a while for me to hit the box again
dabomb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:13am
same thing happened to me also..ride or die
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:13am
Originally posted by c0r3yp

what was your hardest/ worst fall youve ever taken?? mine was my first year and i caught edge going really fast and spun around and hit my head on the ground and blacked out for like 3 mins i guess Shocked

Lol pretty much the same. I was bombing down a trail and going way to fast for my level and then I tried going toe side and caught an edge. Ended up with a concussion :/
Protect your domes
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:19am
Originally posted by DCC

ur board came off??

ya.  that is messed up.  I have never seen someone lose their board.  binders must have been loosey goosey from the start.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:20am
I was at Heavenly and learning to ride switch.  I was feeling pretty confident until I caught my downhill heel edge and went butt first into the early-season hardpack.  Then my head whiplashed backwards and, because I wasn't wearing a helmet, got a concussion.  I had amnesia, nausea, and vomiting, and general malaise for about 36 hours.
While I didn't black out from this hit, I did start spouting off random questions and facts.  Like we were at mid-mountain and I asked "How did we get up here?  Did we drive?"  Yeah, it was a bad day.
Jmikek View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:26am
The hardest fall I ever took was last season in January at Hunter Mountain in upstate NY. I took off a jump but lost control in midair, last thing I remember was being in midair thinking "OH SH*T".

ended up fracturing and dislocating 2 vertebrae, got KTFO'd, woke up in the ambulance, and was in a body brace for 4 months.

I probably would've been paralyzed had I not been wearing my camelbak (thank god).

But I'm still boarding... need to feed the addiction =)
east4life View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:49am
dislocated my leg trying to do a front flip. LMAO
skboarder06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:53am
i havn't any too serious....i was doing a trick on a box. but at the end couldn't get the rotation all the way through when i landed i caught my front edge and landed on my chest, got the wind knocked out of me for a min. After reading snowboard accidents I feel pretty lucky.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Jmikek

The hardest fall I ever took was last season in January at Hunter Mountain in upstate NY. I took off a jump but lost control in midair, last thing I remember was being in midair thinking "OH SH*T".

ended up fracturing and dislocating 2 vertebrae, got KTFO'd, woke up in the ambulance, and was in a body brace for 4 months.

I probably would've been paralyzed had I not been wearing my camelbak (thank god).

you win...or lose...either way, glad you're back and have to say I'm impressed with your deadication
incompetentuser View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Piranha

Originally posted by Jmikek

you win...or lose...either way, glad you're back and have to say I'm impressed with your deadication

"deadication" - was that a typo or a pun? haha

I've had a couple spectacular wipeouts but no serious injuries fortunately.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 8:27am
my worst fall wasn't one but my first week out for 4 days repeatedly falling on my wrists to the point where I could barely use them
whoanelly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 9:06am
Trying to ride a shotgun rail, shorted the ollie, slipped off and took it in the ribs, cracked a couple, puked (puking with cracked ribs sucks), and knocked the wind out of myself.
Thats whats up.
shayan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 9:09am
Fall 2008 was pretty miserable with the financial markets crashing and all...
Tongue

The hardest I've fallen is when I caught an edge the first time I was at Winter Park, and fell back and whiplashed - couldn't move my head and shoulders for a couple of days.

Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 9:57am
I was just starting out, experimenting with different stance angles, and doing an icy-ass Timberline at night.  There's a long flat section, which is hell for beginners.  Unsurprisingly, I caught an edge and slammed the back of my head into the ice, hard.  Didn't black out or anything, but that prompted me to get a helmet shortly thereafter.

More amusingly, I biffed a jump recently and it changed the music on my mp3 player.  That was fun.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 10:01am
My hardest fall was when I was still learning. It was a super icy day, and I was going way too fast down a sketchy section, caught an edge, and slammed my knee into the ice. Sat there for a few minutes, then rode down to the lodge and had lunch with a couple friends. By the time I stood up, I could no longer bend my knee, and I ended up popping my bersa sack. I was on crutches for 2-3 weeks, and it ended my season.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 10:07am
Originally posted by DCC

ur board came off??

Stepins/Flows? I have a hard time imagining a traditional binding came off in this situation....
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 10:12am
A couple years back. It was my first time hitting jumps for the season, and I didn't scope it out at all. It didn't really have a drop in section and I didn't watch anyone so I just tucked from really high up. I just remember launching off the jump and leaning forward way to much. Then I was out cold. I am pretty sure I leaned forward too much, and caught the nose of my board in the landing, so all my weight smacked on my head.

Luckily I was wearing a helmet... From now on I am going to progress into jumps from the beginning of the season instead of going all out LOL

I know it's not too bad. I'm just hoping nothing worse happens 
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 10:16am
My worst fall was probably about 5-6 years ago when I dropped into the pipe with no real experience, I did ok on the first wall then on the second one I must have leaned back too much and fell straight back to the flat bottom. I wasn't wearing a helmet and hit my head pretty good but never blacked out or anything, I must have fallen just right to not have obliterated myself.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 10:28am
Oh yeah, worst fall.. There's a lengthy, somewhat coherent thread on this (posted shortly after it happened so I was all hopped up on pain meds). Basically I hit a smallish jump in the park at the end of the night without spotting the landing. I was coming in a little too hot, but realized it way too late, so my last speed check had me hitting the jump at a really bad angle. Needless to say, I landed a bit over my nose, but worse, the nose hit a rut somewhat  crosswise on the tranny out, so my board came to a dead stop and I went over the handlebars. Even though I'm relatively good at keeping my arms at my sides when I fall so I don't kill my wrists, I'm pretty sure I had a little panic at the last second about taking the whole fall on my ribs and stuck my elbow out to "absorb" some of the fall. Anyway, clavicle ended up in 4 pieces and I ended up in the hospital with some nerve damage, among other things....

Moral: always spot your landings first.
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:16am
I caught an edge and flat face planted. Somehow my face was cut and the wind was knocked out of me. Scary feeling but nothing else happened. I'm not that adventurous so nothing too serious happens to me. 
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:20am
Last April I hit some ice at the end of the run. I came to while a lady was pulling my board off my feet and hubby trying to get me to respond to anything. 

A little concussed and some jacked up ribs. Not a great day. 
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:30am
On my first day out (at Killington of all places) I was cruising and I picked up to much speed, and WHACK! Caught my heel edge and smacked the back of my head, lights went out for a moment, and I knocked the wind out of myself. Scared me shitless...literally (just kidding). Thank g-d I was wearing a helmet.
infinite View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:39am
A mate had a bad one last year after being hit by a skier, end result was a fall backwards with a big hit to the back of his head and a cracked helmet.

Helmet equaled no skull fracture - Helmets are a good idea!
zeloneychai View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Stormin' Normin lift at Timberline

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 11:58am
On the last table top of my run i tried for a fronside 7 but slipped somehow and landed on my rib on the knukle. rode away with a cracked rib
matt1606 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:10pm
went to hit a 40 footer. and hit ice on the lip. did half a rodeo. over shot the landing. which made it a 50 - 60 footer. to my head. awesome
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:46pm
like I tell all my friends that just start riding..

you havent taken a fall till it feels like you've crap your pants.
KLiang07 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 12:51pm
worst fall was when i was learning. i went down a slope and caught snow in the back, i rolled a couple of times, and i heard someone say OH SH*T ARE YOU OK? i couldnt feel my left leg after that but im glad i never gave up
Charb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 1:10pm
broke my right wrist in a full body fall. OUCH!
Sinno View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Thirtytwo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 1:27pm
Caught an edge going toeside and whipped backwards and split my helmet in two on ice, ended up with a concussion anyways.
asdffdsa View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 2:22pm
I accidentaly rode on to a mogul when I couldn't really see anything and it smashed my goggles and got a concussion and some memory loss. 

I caught edges tons of times when I was just starting out and my helmet saved me from a lot of pain. :)   
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 2:26pm
catching edges are always my worst bails. Your so unprepared its easy to get slammed so hard. 
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 2:58pm
Hit a jump few years back, and was shot straight up in the air and came down on my face.  Knocked the wind out of me and I slid right into a puddle just to top things off.  Last year I fell directly on my knee after hitting a jump and my knee was swollen instantly.  All other falls weren't that bad.
strider2375 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 3:27pm
Mine happened near the end of a season when it was pretty much hard ice. Forgot what really happened but I fell at a fast speed and smacked my head on the ice and was dazed for about a min. I didn't realized that my glasses wasn't on my face for a while until I saw it on the ground about 4 feet away....
aggiee7 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 3:48pm
worst fall was when i was just cruising to a gondola in killington last year, went down a blue then caught a mean edge. Face plant into the snow, hat and goggles went flying. Massive headache the rest of the day. Didnt even feel the edge getting caught, just hit the ground
ALEMU94 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 3:57pm
Mine was my very first day of snowboarding, I was a pro at straight-lining (well, atleast I thought since I practiced on some tiny sledding hills) so I decided to straight-line the whole bunny hill, although I did not know how to carve and was just learning how to stop. So I just raced down the bunny hill and tried to stop at the bottom with my toe edge but I ended up letting my heel down so I flipped over a few times and almost got a concussion. Luckily I was wearing a helmet!
So if you don't understand what I said, just make sure you always wear a helmet!
2010 Burton Blunt 156w | 2009 Burton Cartels | 2009 32 Fruit Boots
cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 4:00pm
Launched off a decently large jump and got more air than expected and had a MUCH larger drop than expected. Lost control in the air and fell on my behind so hard and slid for a good 20 feet
Kmoney19 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 4:03pm

went of a jump and had too much speed over gaped the landing and landed flat and wipped out

Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2011 at 4:15pm
The one that looked the worse was I was night boarding. I had cut my hands a days ago on gravel. So I couldn't use them much but was still boarding. I was flying down an area and I started to hit moguls and if I could of put my hands down I prob would of been able to pull out of it but couldn't. did a few flips and my board ending up in the ice take stuck pretty straight up pass the contact points. Then was big ice chunks taken out, my friend the EMT come over to see what i had broken. I rode away which was super nice.
My worse fall was. There was a "hidden" park, you had to go through a few tree to hit the first 2 table tops. Most people was starting at the tree line and I was doing that and the first two table top I was just landing on the knuckle. Then cleaner the last one which was the biggest and had a larger steep landing. I got sick of not making the first two jumps that I go speed pass the tree and landed the first 2 perfect. I was so happy I wasn't thinking about the last one before it was too late. I had twice the speed I had before when I was hitting it and knew I would clear the whole landing. So I tried to speed check fast when I should of just stopped. I over shot the landing while rolling down the windows and landed on my back/butt. I just laid there not being able to move but finally go the strength and moved out of the landing. I think my body went into a kind shock and it hurt, the whole thing for the next whole day. I was sure glad it wasn't an icy day I would of been dead. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>