You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ever going to snow in Tahoe again-
    Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 8:14am
there is a slider that might put some dust on the mountain on Sunday.  MJO is where it needs to be, we need this high pressure ridge to GTFO of our state! I wish it would sit over Vail instead.  
-zakk

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 8:16am
BA speaks!!!

Originally posted by tahoeweatherdiscussion.com

Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 at 7:39 am  

I am beginning to feel more confident that we are going to see some changes here over the next 2 weeks. We will still have to be a little more patient but good things will come to those who wait.

The MJO has not helped us here in the +PNA pattern, but just to show you I wasn’t crazy here is a quote from the CPC MJO discussion on Monday. “Forecast MJO phases are also consistent with extension of the Pacific jet stream during the Week-2 period, but this is currently at odds with current numerical guidance.” Basically, the phase and strength of the MJO over the past 2 weeks normally is consistent with the jetstream slamming CA by this week or next week, but the models show nada.

The MJO will first cause a ridge to build off the coast and then it will normally retrograde North or West allowing the jetstream into the West Coast. The MJO may have been the cause of this +PNA pattern and only hurt us not helped us this time. Jot that down in your weather notes for the next time we have a strong La Nina.

Weather has been described as a rubber band meaning that it pulls one way and then snaps back. Like all the cold in the East over the past month thanks to the -AO & NAO. That will eventually snap back and the pattern will flip. Most meteorologists thought that would happen in January, and they have been amazed at the length & strength of the cold in the East. Especially since this is a La Nina and that is not the normal pattern throughout La Nina winter. So everything is now on our side logically for a flip to cold and storms on the West Coast.

One of the things that will help is the PNA going negative again. Take a look at the forecast. 2nd week of February it could be back where we want it. The AO is already positive which will cut back on the flow of Arctic air being displaced Southward, & the NAO is beginning its climb back towards postive. That should all work together to change the overall pattern which should begin over the next 2 weeks.

What I do see in the models is the ridge trying to build further West next week and then further North week 2. I hate to say that I still don’t see any storms on the horizon for the next 2 weeks, but it can’t stay dry forever. I think the teleconnections are heading more in our favor over the next 2 weeks and that we will see a flip by mid-February. Stay tuned……BA

http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/
-zakk

turbo95sir View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 9:52pm
maybe it's b/c i'm from the east coast and learned to ride there, but i don't think it's that bad out there. people keep describing it as ice out there but it's just hard pack and frozen granular esp when it gets dark on the trails. i actually was expecting a lot icier but never got it. resorts are grooming well
Wingnutx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wingnutx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2011 at 8:03am
STOP CRYING IT'S SNOWING IN TAHOE!!!
technochino View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote technochino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2011 at 8:10am
10-14" in the last 24 hours at Kirkwood!  Woo hoo!
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by technochino

10-14" in the last 24 hours at Kirkwood!  Woo hoo!

FTW!!!!
kalikushman View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
northstar matix stairset

Quote kalikushman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2011 at 12:43pm
it mos def did son
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2011 at 12:57pm
Every time it has snow here in WI this year we have only gotten 5" or less each time. And the most that ever built up after a few storms was like 8".
VSLSUB View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote VSLSUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2011 at 10:29pm
I hope it's nice tomorrow, cuz it's so on.

Heavenly =)
turbo95sir View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Wingnutx

STOP CRYING IT'S SNOWING IN TAHOE!!!

dammit and i was back on the east coast...again! maybe next storm...
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 5:00am
The time has come!!!  It's going to a bitch driving up there Friday morning and dealing with the crowds.  But I can't wait for some pow after over 6 weeks of bluebird groomers and park.
twinsin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CHOO CHOO

Quote twinsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:19am
Goddammit I really wanted to go ride during this last dump =[

Still need to get all my gear and I don't wanna rent again.  Sigh...
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:25am
Old man Winter there you are!  Why oh why did you hide for so long?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:34am
Originally posted by CO_champagne

The time has come!!!  It's going to a bitch driving up there Friday morning and dealing with the crowds.  But I can't wait for some pow after over 6 weeks of bluebird groomers and park.
even more of a bitch driving up in the middle of the storm (going up thurs at dawn)...but no crowds and guaranteed untracked deep pow every run Tongue
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:35am
Thats cool you all have snow, its 50 degrees here, tomorrow they are calling for 60.   
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Piranha

even more of a bitch driving up in the middle of the storm (going up thurs at dawn)...but no crowds and guaranteed untracked deep pow every run Tongue

Yup, definitely guaranteed untracked deep pow on Thursday.  Let's hope some is left Friday for my dawn escape.  I'm hoping under a 5 hour drive.
chrischrash5 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chrischrash5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 9:02am
I hope it will snow. I am planning on heading over there spring break! will be tight
Kerner View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Kerner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 9:08am
ColaLover View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ColaLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 10:02am
Its like 50 degrees where im living haha,.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 10:05am
Originally posted by ColaLover

Its like 50 degrees where im living haha,.

It's over 50 degrees where I live too.  That's because I live at an elevation of 20 feet.  Once I drive up to 7,000 feet I'll be good to go.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 10:12am

Originally posted by Piranha

Yup, definitely guaranteed untracked deep pow on Thursday.  Let's hope some is left Friday for my dawn escape.  I'm hoping under a 5 hour drive.
2 to 3 hr drive, here, depending on the road conditions. 

Fortunately, I've reserved a room, so get to ride friday, too.  With all that driving and what I put my back through with all the jumps and wipes, those days of driving up at dawn and returning home that same afternoon may be gone for me.
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rishihb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 10:29am
For the past couple of days, its been overcast and raining in the bay area. There were torrential rains in last night, hopefully the storm moves north and showers Tahoe by the weekend.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 12:02pm
just got hammered with .5 to .75 inch rocks of hail for about 15 min straight...roof was starting to look rideable.  Hail is extremely rare here...hail, rain is extremely rare here.

...and now it's sunny againConfused
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote technochino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 4:01pm
"stuck" at Kirkwood! 25 inches in 24 hours. unbelievable powder, dare I say too much? The wind was a killer and only 3 lifts were open. I was knee deep. had to wax my board because it was so cold and the factory wax on my Sierra Crew turned into glue. Came to an immediate stop getting off the lift. Made getting down painful.

Powder powder everywhere. Highway 88 is closed for now. Hoping for a less windy day tomorrow
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 4:07pm

"stuck" at Kirkwood! 25 inches in 24 hours. unbelievable powder, dare I say too much? The wind was a killer and only 3 lifts were open. I was knee deep. had to wax my board because it was so cold and the factory wax on my Sierra Crew turned into glue. Came to an immediate stop getting off the lift. Made getting down painful.

Powder powder everywhere. Highway 88 is closed for now. Hoping for a less windy day tomorrow

I'm heading there this weekend. should be awesome.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 6:01pm
finally!  I hope there's another set of storms before mid-March too.  I'd love to see this season extended.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
RoseBud View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW kickin my butt

Quote RoseBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 6:08pm
FINALLY!!!!!!! Super stoked to go ride this weekend! Lets keep it up I want to be riding till June like last season! Big smile
Like everything else in snowboarding, it's all preference!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 6:29pm

it is supposed to be windy thurs: 22 mph...from the south Wink.  One thing's for sure, the weather channel doesn't have the best record when it comes to wind forecasts 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote technochino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:12pm
well it will be an improvement from the 30-38 mph winds we saw today. I guess Friday might be the most promising day then
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 8:08pm
I'm heading up to Kirkwood to ride Monday through Wednesday at Kirkwood. Hoping there are some fresh lines left for me!
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 8:54pm
Aarg dilemma!  go tomorrow and be in a blizzard or go Friday.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote technochino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 9:07pm

I'd wake up early and check the 88, 89, and 50 and see how the weather is. All the Kirkwood employees were telling me what a crappy time they had coming up to the resort today. Tons of accidents, 18 wheelers crashing into cars, cars spinning out. All the powder in the world isn't worth you health or getting you car totalled on the way up. should be plenty of untouched powder on Friday if Thursday doesn't work out.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 9:31pm
We're braving it Thurs for Mt. Rose. If not Friday will do. :) Definitely getting up early to check out Hwy conditions, I don't expect it to take less than two and a half hours from Auburn to Reno. Slow and alive is perfectly fine for me. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:36am
^ Seriously!  Everybody drive safe out there.  Tons of spins outs will occur over the next 3 days.
Kerner View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Kerner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 7:56am
40 inches in 24 hrs & 9 degrees!...winter is definitely back!

Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 9:07am
^^ Just hope that 88 stays open.  It closed yesterday
seyheeya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote seyheeya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 11:01am
Hell yeah! Winter is back and I'll be hitting the slopes tomorrow!!!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 2:01pm
As much as it's dumping, I'm staying away this holiday weekend. The roads are gonna be a mess. But next weekend may be an "early" weekend Wink
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:36pm
I might have to take advantage of my weird work schedule and go during the week.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
PICKLES View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nom, nom, nom.

Quote PICKLES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:47pm
Snowing all day, today. Ridiculously fun! Riding today is one of the best, if not the best, powder days I've had this season.
Weather, comply!
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by PICKLES

Snowing all day, today. Ridiculously fun! Riding today is one of the best, if not the best, powder days I've had this season.

Yup today was in the top 3 best day all season!
2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 7:25pm
My buddies will be riding starting tomorrow at N*..super jealous...stuck at new job and down in So Cal...hitting N* next weekend and into the week though...hopefully the storm door reopens then
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by deepakhj

Originally posted by PICKLES

Yup today was in the top 3 best day all season!

I hope tomorrow is the same!  Keep some freshies around because the drive will probably take me a while.Smile
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 7:56pm
damn I wish I was there right now.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
foolio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote foolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 9:37pm
wow.. is it ever going to stop snowing?  too bads the roads are a mess.. looks like both 50 and 80 are currently being held.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 8:09am
Glad I live in Reno, so my drive is only 30-45 minutes, depending on where I want to go, plus I don't have to wake up at the buut crack of dawn.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:39am
Well I guess we have received the answer to this question.  Was a long wait but FN WORTH IT.  Just happened to have last week off to ride with my homies from back home.  Stayed in South Lake and rode Heav, Sierra (x2), Homewood (wednesday powder day), Kirkwood (thursday DEEP powder day) worked Friday and then Mt. Rose yesterday, best day of the week but a ton of people.  heading out to the backcountry today, looks like it's pretty solid. 

Can I get a HELL YES for a 5-8' storm on my week off???  More snow on the way next week

-b
get bent
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:54am
HEIIILLL YEAH!!!!  Thurs was perfect and friday was hella deep, dumping all day.  Cliff drop city!!!
seyheeya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote seyheeya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 8:20am
It was an epic weekend! Pow up to my chest!!!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 9:29am
I'm actually glad I'm not up there today.  At 4 feet of fresh deep, it's maxing out the ridability/steepness of my local resort.  Add to that the weekend crowds and the webcam shows they're stopping the lift practically every 3rd chair for the noobs Dead 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>