102 [5.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ever going to snow in Tahoe again-
    Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 4:31am
Originally posted by Ginger

oh thanks for the insult. Just going on what my local news said the other day. Wasn't me, they said that denver has had only 50% for that time of year. Blame it on the news. And I think your a uninformed moron as well for saying that :)

i was at vail/aspen/keystone over christmas.  they had some decent snow while denver was completely dry.

even some parts of the mountains had almost no snow on it.  The snow tends to fall on certain areas because of the mountains.  One mountain was bare while across the valley, the next mountain had a ton of snow.  
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 6:07am
and i say this to you tonight
let us not forget
there is hope

Originally posted by tahoeweatherdiscussion.com

New 12z Euro shows retrogression of the ridge to replace the trough over Hawaii opening the door to cold and possible storms. Maybe a split flow convergence on CA with the MJO induced jet coming under the Central Pacific ridge? This is only one model run of many I will need to see before I start talking change, but it’s the first model run in weeks that doesn’t just show a dry ridge as far as the eye can see. Hopefully this will be a trend? See this morning’s pattern discussion below. BA

-zakk

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 7:00am
Originally posted by mech9t5

even some parts of the mountains had almost no snow on it.  The snow tends to fall on certain areas because of the mountains.  One mountain was bare while across the valley, the next mountain had a ton of snow.  

It has way more to do with wind than anything else as to why some peaks appear bare and other are pure white gold.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 7:04am
it should hopefully by some freak chance 

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 7:04am

^^^^  Yeah but you'd need about 2000+ mph winds to blow the heavy wetness around in Tahoe right now.  

Side note, I heard there was a snowboarder death at Mt. Rose yesterday but can't find any news on the internets -- any intel?

-b
get bent
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 7:08am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^^  Yeah but you'd need about 2000+ mph winds to blow the heavy wetness around in Tahoe right now.  

Side note, I heard there was a snowboarder death at Mt. Rose yesterday but can't find any news on the internets -- any intel?

-b

I haven't heard or read about anything happening on Mt. Rose.  their twitter feed is clean too. 
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 7:12am

^^^  I can't imagine the Mountain would be giving it a shout out Z !  Supposedly a 14-year old kid but I still don't see anything on the web.  Hope it's false info

-b
get bent
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Scorer099

It has way more to do with wind than anything else as to why some peaks appear bare and other are pure white gold.

it's the mountains that cause the wind patterns to deposit in certain areas vs others. in addition, mountains cause air pressure changes and temperature gradients which also make it snow more in one area compared to another.

Wind isn't really the root cause, just another by product of the way mountains affect weather patterns.

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 9:17am

Originally posted by Scorer099

it's the mountains that cause the wind patterns to deposit in certain areas vs others. in addition, mountains cause air pressure changes and temperature gradients which also make it snow more in one area compared to another.

Wind isn't really the root cause, just another by product of the way mountains affect weather patterns.

I think angry was just saying that the wind blows snow (from the windward to the leeward aspects) around the mountains as it falls and after . . . causing wind loading, cross loading, and good stuff like that

-b
get bent
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Longboarderdude

Originally posted by powpowpow

Global warmings has struck, obviously
Global warming isnt real... All of the scientists who are in charge of the research have released only the data that suggest global warming is real and they wont give out the raw data. 
one just has to look at the nearest 4 lane street to see the staggering amount of cars on the road every day...compound that by every town/city...every state/country...across the world.   The population is also rising every day.  That doesn't even include all the industrial smoke/gasses, etc, etc..

You don't have to be spoon-fed data to realize how much exhaust that involves....unless you really are a moron. 
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 3:11pm
^^ yeah, its pretty apparent that we are damaging the earth and to say global warming isn't having an effect is being irresponsible. 
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 3:17pm
^^  It's really just a La Nina type of event, not global warming
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 3:17pm
They also say the human affect on global warming is pretty minuscule in the grand scheme of it all.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 3:24pm
still, driving less and planting trees (and/or not cutting them down) and just consuming less can only help slow the process until a solution is found

...just seems like people are making an effort to not give a $hit  
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 5:07pm
I'm really hoping my half joking thread about no snow doesn't turn out correct.
seacow234 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote seacow234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 10:25pm
global warming is PARTIALLY to blame for why the east coast is receiving so many blizzards. as more water is evaporated, more water can be pushed around to cool down somewhere else/send it to a frozen hell.
turbo95sir View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

^^  It's really just a La Nina type of event, not global warming

yeah, i do remember reading early on in the year that this was expected in a la nina year. early season dumps followed by nothing much at all. they did not mention the warm temps though which is eating away at the great base that the resorts built up early in the year.

just hoping this tide turns soon... 
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2011 at 11:37pm
This is my first winter back in Sacramento after being in LA for 2 years.  I really wish I at least went more in December, but I didn't buy my pass till just before Christmas.  The last two times I went were really disappointing.  Unless I'm getting a free ride up there I really have no plans on going until the temperature and some fresh snow drops.

2 weeks of no snow might not seem like a big deal, but its been around 50 during the day and freezing at night.  During the day the snow starts melting and the water sinks into the lower layers filling in all the gaps, then it freezes at night making solid ice.  So its not even like we have spring conditions right now, because it doesn't get freezing at night in the spring.

The only areas that weren't ice at Northstar was some of the areas lower on the mountain where there was enough traffic to create some shavings that turned to mush.

Either we are going to have a little longer of a season when we get some late season snow, or its going to end a total flop.

I blame the earth's new tilt!
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 3:30am
^This is the type of weather we get periodically in New England; I didn't realize you got this in Tahoe. Is this very atypical?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 9:01am
it actually did this last year, to a certain extent. It dumped a few times in Dec, then absolutely nothing until late jan...when it dumped 11 FEET.

the seasons between 06 and 09 were just thin all the way around.  I remember going to heavenly in, I think, late march 08 and, other than the top quarter of the mtn, there were bare spots all over
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 10:01am
i remember alot of Northstar had alot of groomed slopes..

doesnt the slope being groomed help with the ice?
certainly does here in the east coast
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 10:56am
Blah! The next 10 days sunny...at most, partly cloudy. Temps no lower than 48 degrees.... These icy conditions are not the business.... "Follow the sun" as they say. I'd rather board on slush than ice any day....
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 1:43pm
ack...never thought i would see ice on the west coast after growing up in the east. anyone been out there in the last day or two? if so, how are conditions? heading up there this weekend and unsure if i should go after just dislocating my shoulder last sunday...
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 1:56pm
Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip then, eh??
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grand Targhee tree run

Quote turbo95sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2011 at 2:26pm
yeah i'm heading up there in a few minutes, just wondering how icy conditions are...guess only one way to find out!
MollyM1133 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote MollyM1133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 4:35pm
Tahoe Weather Discussion says maybe Feb 5th? Tahoe really needs some fresh snow. At least I don't feel as guilty for not getting to the resorts when I'm in the office working for Tahoe Dave's
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 5:12pm
^^ yeah, looks like super bowl weekend will bring the next snow storm
John-John View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lake Run

Quote John-John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 5:29pm
i hope it snows soon... we need it here
technochino View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote technochino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 5:56pm
Was up at Tahoe first week in Jan and it was pretty nice.  Haven't been back since but would have thought there would have been at least some snow since then.  Hopefully it dumps in Feb.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 6:09pm
lets rephrase this and say is it ever gonna snow in socal again? mammoth has been bragging about the 17 feet of snow in december... but has anyone noticed there has only been like 10-12 inches in january?
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 6:27pm
i was at Northstar and Sierra this weekend.  soooo icy.  Glad BA is talking about a storm coming our way, I need some pow to get my Hovercraft out.
-zakk

SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by zakk

i was at Northstar and Sierra this weekend.  soooo icy.  Glad BA is talking about a storm coming our way, I need some pow to get my Hovercraft out.

I want to hit up some of the places at the resorts I've never been to before.

I've been going to Northstar since I was 5 but there are some places like Sawtooth ridge and some of the other designated glade areas on the map I've never done.  Theres a line that I mapped out by looking at the map where you can go from the top of lookout and end up right back at mid mountain, cutting across that bypass they put in, it looks promising also.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 6:44pm
It's perfect time for park rats.  Back country types have to wait a few more weeks
tisguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tisguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 7:22am
Sierra was okay early in the morning yesterday. By noon it started getting icy.. real ICY. I mean 95% of the time all you could hear was the scraping of ice.
Dirtydragon View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Top oF Tahoe

Quote Dirtydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 9:10am
darn.. i wanted to go snowboarding this weekend.. seems like its going to be icy.. not sure if its even worth it
2010 Vapor | 2010 Custom X | 2011 Custom X | 2010 Custom Vrocker | 2010 Method (Sold)
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by SLUSHIE

Originally posted by zakk

I want to hit up some of the places at the resorts I've never been to before.

I've been going to Northstar since I was 5 but there are some places like Sawtooth ridge and some of the other designated glade areas on the map I've never done.  Theres a line that I mapped out by looking at the map where you can go from the top of lookout and end up right back at mid mountain, cutting across that bypass they put in, it looks promising also.

do you hike it?  I've been looking at a few of the in bounds areas over that way I think it would be worth it. 
-zakk

carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by tisguy

Sierra was okay early in the morning yesterday. By noon it started getting icy.. real ICY. I mean 95% of the time all you could hear was the scraping of ice.

Dang, this is very discouraging since we are headed to Diamond Peak/Sugarbowl this weekend.  Anyone go to Diamond Peak this past weekend?  If so, how was it?  Park still good?

Thanks in advance for the info!
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 9:49am
We're at 100-200% snowfall of normal. I think we'll see a pattern change on February 6th. 

2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by deepakhj

We're at 100-200% snowfall of normal. I think we'll see a pattern change on February 6th. 

I thought it was 300%. 

But yeah, it WAS totally dumping at Mammoth and now poof it suddenly stopped.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 10:07am
I think it was 300% last month.. :P Everyday without snow that # goes down.

2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
MollyM1133 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote MollyM1133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 11:46am
Back side of Alpine Meadows was actually pretty good today. 
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 2:02pm

Well that's encouraging.  Good news is we're all getting racoon eyes and arm tans out there.  Spring conditions fer sure

-b
get bent
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 2:04pm
Well the answer is... YES!

And you got to love that mid winter corn snow!

;-)
RoseBud View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW kickin my butt

Quote RoseBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2011 at 4:38pm
SNOW DAMIT!!! I'm bored and wanna go ride. . . . . . .please Big smile
Like everything else in snowboarding, it's all preference!
VSLSUB View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote VSLSUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 12:48am
It's so freaking warm right now too............ melting whatever's left.  

But it is nice weather to workout in Sacramento at least. =/

Regardless of anyone's opinion on global warming.... pollution is real and is terrible for everyone.... and dependence on foreign oil is a major weakness for our country.  There's good reasons for everybody to help cut down on fuel consumption and pollution.  Can't very well think of any bad reasons for cutting down on fuel consumption and pollution.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 5:24am
Might as well hit Boreal this weekend, all you can do is ride park right now.  That or work on switch riding 
-zakk

JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JandJBlks2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 7:01am
reading through this thread's somewhat depressing! I'll be in Tahoe in 2 weeks..I freakin' booked it like 4 months ago thinking it'd be all pow! smh lol..what a jinx that was! we could've just stayed either at Mt. High or Bear..yay for slushy/brownie snow !

we need to pray to the god of snow! I'm not asking for a blizzard..just fresh pow..that's all.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 7:29am

Yeah I have a number of friends coming out on Feb 11th for a week or so -- although it's not looking good for snow, I'm sure there will still plenty of shennanigans regardless of the weather

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 7:53am
Originally posted by tisguy

Yeah, man.  My buddy hit some crazy ice at Sierra last Saturday, smacked a tree, and sprained his ankle .  Unfortunately he's on crutches but maybe he will recover by the time it snows again.
foolio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote foolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 8:07am
This weather is pretty depressing.

Here's the story about the Mt. Rose boy - icy slopes to blame...  

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20110124/NEWS/110129953/1066&ParentProfile=1051

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>