102 [5.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ever going to snow in Tahoe again-
    Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 6:10am
Yea, like above said... I didn't even start riding until January last year and there were a couple of big storms that came through for great powder.

Keep praying to the snow gods... they will answer us soon!!!
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 7:43am
Originally posted by sdwc96

yea. the consensus seems to be late feb for some real snow to fall. I'm just hoping tahoe has some end of season magic.

where are you getting this "consensus"?  No where anywhere have I read anything that would make me even think that, let alone put it in writing and open myself up like that on a public forum.

Post a link to your multiple sources (read: consensus ) because we'd all love to read about it.  
-zakk

azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 7:10am
from the SOTC crew

"Okay, so a bit of good news on the snow front. Our meteorologist, Mike Pechner says it appears a moderate sized snow storm is possible inbound around January 2nd. Moderate? Not sure, since I have not talked to Mike direct, but knowing him I'd guess 1-2 feet at Lake Level. Stay tuned, as we see if we're seeing a real pattern change...finally."

!!!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by zakk

Originally posted by sdwc96

yea. the consensus seems to be late feb for some real snow to fall. I'm just hoping tahoe has some end of season magic.

where are you getting this "consensus"?  No where anywhere have I read anything that would make me even think that, let alone put it in writing and open myself up like that on a public forum.

Post a link to your multiple sources (read: consensus ) because we'd all love to read about it.  
agreed - that's the bullshit poor advice/negative thinking this community definitely doesn't need or want.  Add to that, he's already talking about the end of the season....when it hasn't even started.  Doesn't get any more FAIL than that.

sdwc96, go away.  You are (un)officially banned from TruSnow
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 8:09am
it will come when it does...be patient young patawon
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 10:53am
I was up at Kirkwood Monday & Tuesday, and it was pretty terrible.  There couldn't have been more than a 10" base, and they were making snow, but it was pretty icy.  

As for a "consensus" from sdwc96, just ignore the troll.
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JandJBlks2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 11:00am
^^ I'm seriously beginning to worry now..I'll be up in South Lake in 4 weeks! I pray/hope that it'll dump between now and then before I head out!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 11:16am
Everyone seems to be having a crap winter so far.  The east doesn't have snow, the west doesn't have snow.  I'm in the midwest and we have nothing.  It's too warm to even make snow.  We've got a trip in a month to powder country (the U.P. of MI) I'm worried about.  They usually have feet of snow by now, but they only have an inch or two on the ground.  I heard this was going to be an epic winter for snow, I'm not seein' it yet.Cry
CAPnCRUNCH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CAPnCRUNCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 11:53am
I'll be in Heavenly this weekend.
Anyone know how the man made conditions are?
kyavo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kyavo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 11:57am
thanks a lot global warming.....way to screw up my winter plans
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 12:10pm
I wouldn't say everyone is having a crappy winter, you're just looking in the "obvious" places Smile  Things seem to be going pretty well in the Southwest.  SoCal is looking ok, Vegas has pretty good coverage, as does Northern Arizona, and SW Colorado.

Like a moron I planned a New Years trip to Tahoe way too far in advance.  Now I'm headed out there to ride some ribbons of death, when I could just stay home and enjoy the 4ft base at my local mountain.  Sure the terrain isn't as good... but at least its covered and open.  Oh well, at least there's friends and booze.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 1:02pm
based on my experience, I would almost never trek to tahoe in december/new years.  I've been there 5 years practically in a row, just after new years, and it was only o.k. for some trips, but basically gravel for most. 

although, last year was one of the few good new years...but it was so incredibly dumping/stormy just before in dec, most people wouldn't have the right equipment or know how to handle it (or the roads getting there)

...you will, most likely, be riding gravel near the base lodges this new years in tahoe
elmasri90 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote elmasri90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 1:27pm
Conditions at heavenly aren't too bad. Its all man made snow, but the coverage on the open runs are probably the best in Tahoe right now. Just got off the mountain a few hours ago
kjdsider View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kjdsider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Piranha

based on my experience, I would almost never trek to tahoe in december/new years.  I've been there 5 years practically in a row, just after new years, and it was only o.k. for some trips, but basically gravel for most. 

although, last year was one of the few good new years...but it was so incredibly dumping/stormy just before in dec, most people wouldn't have the right equipment or know how to handle it (or the roads getting there)

...you will, most likely, be riding gravel near the base lodges this new years in tahoe

i've been there the past 3 years, with this year being the 4th, during this time frame (only time to get a lot of ppl together for an extended amount of time.) usually, the advanced territory is not open during this time unless it's last year, but the bigger resorts with snowmaking should have enough coverage to get you top to bottom. The snowmaking is to supplement the natural snow they get. However, it seems this year is extremely bad, since even Squaw valley hasn't even opened the upper mountain.

If you want a surer bet for this time of year, goto Mammoth. However, the prices for a place to stay there is much crazier then Tahoe.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 2:25pm
No.  The answer is no, it will never snow in Tahoe again.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 2:29pm
...boards are already thrown in the dumpster (no one will need them ever again)
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 2:54pm
Northstar was icy on tuesday...bunch of people were getting hurt because it was so hard...we need some real snow!!!
kjdsider View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kjdsider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by lightning80

Northstar was icy on tuesday...bunch of people were getting hurt because it was so hard...we need some real snow!!!

what were the temps on tuesday? I'm planning to go on new years and it should be warm enough thaw a little in the daytime.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 5:20pm
just found out why we haven't been getting snow:  I found a big pile of (folded) summer shorts on my dresser...now that I've stored them away in a drawer, we should be waist deep in snow soon Wink
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Piranha

just found out why we haven't been getting snow:  I found a big pile of (folded) summer shorts on my dresser...now that I've stored them away in a drawer, we should be waist deep in snow soon Wink

we all need to go out and wash out cars, put away snow shovels and ice scrapers, plant some spring flowers etc.  
-zakk

Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by kjdsider

Originally posted by lightning80

what were the temps on tuesday? I'm planning to go on new years and it should be warm enough thaw a little in the daytime.

i think it was around 40 or so?
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 10:02am
yeah, Tahoe is almost never amazing in December/New Years.  If I were to plan a trip to it, I would say late Jan or anytime Feb to have the best chance of good snow.
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 10:52am
You guys think its worth it to fight the crowds this Saturday at heavenly? or just stay home and save the gas... (season passer)
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 11:08am
save gas, imo
kyavo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kyavo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 11:30am
yea i almost went in DEC and had to call it off last min. its been so dry there.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 1:07pm
save the gas and plan a trip over presidents day.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 1:11pm
Ermm...hopefully, he won't have to wait that long
a-wow925 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote a-wow925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2012 at 7:50pm
i think we're definitely gonna have a late winter.  i dunno bout you guys but i feel like the seasons are shifting, late summer late winter.  global warming?

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 8:12am
What makes you even say that? The storms are happening, but high pressure fronts are preventing them from reaching Tahoe.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 8:49am
blame it on the weatherman... lol
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 8:58am
I'm starting to really question my move from Colorado to California.......  
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 10:36am
God damn last weekend was so sweet. I'm still having snowgasms thinking about it.  Now where did the rest of the storms go?  
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 7:32am
This new storm is giving me jitters, I would love to run up the hill for a snow day!

I know some of you guys will be enjoying it. Smile
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 7:33am
heard kirkwood got a foot.  I was in Utah and our trip ended just as it was starting to dump :/
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 7:35am
couldn't go up today either - damn!  Hopefully, there's plenty of fresh tracks leftover tomorrow
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 7:51am
kong, 
Where in Utah? The powder is GORGEOUS out there. :)

----------------
I've been holding onto a free day pass for Squaw/Kirkwood/Sierra and haven't gone up once! It breaks my heart but it just hasn't worked out this season. 

Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 9:18am
Looks like there's going to be a break in the storm on Thursday before more snow comes...hoping my schedule will allow me to head to Northstar on Thursday.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 9:20am
turns out we got 10" and it's friggin' bluebird!...and there's tons of people up there tracking it out...on a monday!   Why does this ish have to happen on the one day of the year I can't go?!!  Supposedly might drop an few more inches tomorrow, so maybe it'll reset to an extent  
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by LittleShooey

kong, 
Where in Utah? The powder is GORGEOUS out there. :)

----------------
I've been holding onto a free day pass for Squaw/Kirkwood/Sierra and haven't gone up once! It breaks my heart but it just hasn't worked out this season. 

Rode Park City mountain resort, Snowbird 3x, and Snowbasin.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:39pm
And cut to April 2012. Looks like we're going to get another couple feet by this weekend . . . here's hoping.  It can still be a great spring

-b
get bent
CharlieZima View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CharlieZima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 7:11pm
i think most of the resorts are closed as of today, which one still stays open? I know Squaw stayed open ... any other?
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 8:55am
Well when Sierra Avalanche Center starts warning that the biggest danger is "long sliding falls [for life]" that "may be difficult to self-arrest" on steep surface rain crusts . . . it's time to bust this thread back out. 

January 30, 2013 at 6:45 am

Avalanche danger is LOW for all elevations and aspects. Normal caution is advised. In some above treeline areas, surface rain crusts are smooth, hard, and difficult to travel. Long sliding falls may be difficult to self arrest.

So from this point foward, how long till we see another multiple-foot dump in Tahoe???  We deserve it, dammit

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 9:02am
^ i was at northstar on monday..and it was very icy...we need some pow!!!
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 12:32pm
2 weeks is my guess. Middle of February.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 7:06am
Riding conditions aside, Saturday could be a quality day for slide parking lot BBQ/dog party at Mt. Rose.  Anybody?

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 7:15am
Sounds good, I'll see you there, -b.

Hey, wait a minute, this isn't an attempt to lure men to the parking lot for a weinie roast, is it?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 7:18am
with those couple of big december dumps, things were looking so promising...but, wow, this jan has been even drier than last.  I guess a positive note might be that it's been consistently cold, so maybe things didn't melt as bad as last year. 
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 7:43am
Originally posted by ctoma

Sounds good, I'll see you there, -b.

Hey, wait a minute, this isn't an attempt to lure men to the parking lot for a weinie roast, is it?

Actually, kinda it was.  Guess I hadn't thought it out all the way. 

Yeah January has sucked but that seems to happen all the time, seems like it's given my knee some time off and allowed me to bill some hours so I can get after what I anticipate to be a big spring, c'mon snow!

-b
get bent
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 7:43am
Days are warm, so it's just turning the snow to ice at nights. I'll be at Sugarbowl this Sat. It's my first time there. Hope it's not too scratchy.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 7:50am
^ If you go to Mt. Rose, J, be wary of men wearing Ohio State sweatshirts inviting you to a weinie roast.  Don't ever say I didn't warn you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>