Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie looking for sound advice
    Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 5:07am
Went snowboarding for the first time a couple weeks ago and I am now hooked. (even though at first was painful lol) I would like to buy my own stuff going forward and have been doing a lot of research and looking at different reviews. Was wondering what advice anyone could give. I am 6'3", 195 lb., 11 boot and ride goofy. It would seem the board of choice is an all mountain between 160-164 wide. But as far as brand goes I have no bias for anyone particular brand since I don't know much. Have been kinda looking at some arbor boards and thinking I would like to roll with the wasteland series. But that particular board is supposed to be "intermediate/advanced" (do those type of rating really mean all that much) and rated highly as a good "everything" board. Would like a board that i can grow with and not have to ditch after a yr. Spending 300+ every couple of yrs isn't how i roll lol. Any ideas, advice, and suggestions are greatly welcome. Looking to also move to Colorado Springs later this yr so i am syked to see what its like with real snow.
Daveongo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 5:25am
look at the sierra crew package deal with bindings for a first time setup its a good all mountain board that you should be able to advance well with. the intermediate advanced ratings have alot to do with how forgiving a board is, when your learning you want a more forgiving board to pick up the basics and become comfortable riding. and dont let graphics play a role in what you buy
jardigan777 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 5:42am
if you post wat kinda riding you want to do then you'll get more specific results. im in the same place as you but alittle bit farther along. this is my first year and i am also hooked and im looking to buy. but i have found that its better to get atleast 3 days under your belt before you start looking to seriously buy. this is only because i think you should find what kinda riding you like. Do you like the kickers, the jibs groomers powder? i know you said you want an all mountain board, but in the all mountain category there are alot of options. like what shape of board, if you want rockered, or cambered, and how flexible you want it. theres a post on this website called ippys snowboard guide i highly suggest reading it all the way thru. It will give you a much better understanding of what makes up a board and how all the parts work together. i posted the link below happy searching

P.S. i have decided on getting the sierra stunt package. because i like freestyle and butters
hope this helped

http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40125&PID=864421
chriskot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 5:49am
How much are you looking to spend on everything?  Not that much longer til the end of season. Depending on how many times you will go in the next month or two it might be better to rent until the end of the season and see what you can get at discount.

I'm sure people have different opinions on the beginner, intermediate, advanced ratings on boards but in my opinion you can learn on anything.  My first real board was rated as advanced and I had no problem learning on it.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 6:11am
A board that is rated intermediate or advanced most likely has a medium to stiffish flex.  That is the most common aspect of a board that puts it into those categories.  You will not see any beginner boards with stiff flexes.

I think as a beginner you should choose a board with a medium flex rating.  This will allow the board to help you with stability as you learn to go faster but will not be too stiff to enjoy in park or just in general.  The stiffer the board the more speed is required to initiate turns easily.

This is not the only aspect of the board but the most important in my opinion.  If I were you I would look at the Element over the Wasteland from Arbor...will be easier for you to handle but is a solid all purpose deck.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 6:49am
Based on your height, weight and skill level I would look more in the 157-161 range.  The reason being a longer board is harder to turn.  This is not what you want when learning.  An Intermediate-Advanced board is also not really what you want for learning.  However you can get away with it.  It is really up to you.  If you are okay with falling more and it taking longer to learn then go ahead and get the arbor.  Snowboarding is 90% rider 10% equipment IMHO.  If you are dead set on just buying one board and it lasting you the next 3-5 years then yeah snag the arbor.  Otherwise grab either a sierra reverse crew, crew, or stunt package with S90s and ride that for 1-2 years, then upgrade and you will have a nice all mountain board and you can use the sierra board as your park or rock board.
www.chargeharder.com
pierreblackbelt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 6:55am
A great way to save some extra money on your gear is to find good 2011 gear that you really like. Do lots of research, talk to people, and visit stores to find exactly your size. Then, as the 2012 gear comes into view, stores will put discounts on the 2011 gear that you want.
mitsucow View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 7:20am
The first board I purchased was an all mountain board that I didn't realize at the time was a pretty stiff board. its great for groomers, carving, and powder. However, after doing a bit of riding, I think it is way to stiff for glades and tree runs. Stiff board need to be going faster to turn as someone said, and this is definitely apparent with this board in the glades.

My next board will probably be a directional freestyle. something a little more flexy to give more low speed maneuverability. I would say if you are just gunna be doing mostly groomers, crusing, carving and some park stuff go with a stiffer all mountain board for high speed stability and to stomp landings. If you think you might like glades and tree runs go with a flexier freestyle board and it will still be good for crusing groomers.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Cmartins

Went snowboarding for the first time a couple weeks ago and I am now hooked. (even though at first was painful lol) I would like to buy my own stuff going forward and have been doing a lot of research and looking at different reviews. Was wondering what advice anyone could give. I am 6'3", 195 lb., 11 boot and ride goofy. It would seem the board of choice is an all mountain between 160-164 wide. But as far as brand goes I have no bias for anyone particular brand since I don't know much. Have been kinda looking at some arbor boards and thinking I would like to roll with the wasteland series. But that particular board is supposed to be "intermediate/advanced" (do those type of rating really mean all that much) and rated highly as a good "everything" board. Would like a board that i can grow with and not have to ditch after a yr. Spending 300+ every couple of yrs isn't how i roll lol. Any ideas, advice, and suggestions are greatly welcome. Looking to also move to Colorado Springs later this yr so i am syked to see what its like with real snow.

What I notice when boards are labeled "intermediate/advance" it's typically more expensive and includes tech and material where in the end, it won't really matter.  As Bruizza said, 10% board, 90% rider.  The Arbor Wasteland, as the description states, is their flagship model...pretty much an do it all board.  As a beginner, I would start with if you want camber or reverse camber.  After that, you already know that you want a do it all board.  So, stay with a medium flex board (Burton Custom, Sierra Crew/reverse crew/ Capita indoor survival / etc.)  <- I'm basing this on description, not experience.  With a size 11 boot, definitely go with a waist width larger than 255mm.

Gnu Carbon Credit I think would fit your bill.  K2 Parkstar (reverse camber.)

Also, on the length, as Bruizza said, 159-161 range rather than 164.  "The reason being a longer board is harder to turn.  This is not what you want when learning."
Did you google it?
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 12:30pm
Thank u everyone for all the great info and suggestions. I guess for the moment I would just stick to learning how to put turns together and cruising and then progress to jumps and so on. Don't really mind falling (not that I like it but I figure it's apart of the process no matter what board I get) and definitely don't mind putting in work. Thought process on getting the wasteland was it's got a lot of features and it's a quality board that will last more than 1-2 yrs.( as far as progression is concerned). And its just a sick Looking board.

Appreciate the link jardigan will look that over thoroughly looks like it's got some great info.

What y'all think about flow bindings? I like the one time setup and easy in easy out movement. Are they good for aggressive riding?
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 12:36pm
I would add too the 160 size. It is a good size board for you and you can get a feeling if you want a longer or shorter board. It is hard to buy your first board that will last you 3-4 years not bc of the board but it is hard to know what kind of rider you will be in a year or two.
jardigan777 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 12:40pm
i hate flows but only because they have them for rentals at my local resort. and obviously they arent the best, i havent tried good ones so i cant help you there. i will say that they are annoying, because you cant put them on when your sitting down
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 12:43pm
You will either hate or love Flows, it is really up to you.  Personally I prefer straps and also Flows are heavy as bricks.  I dislike Flows, my brothers loves Flows.  You just got to try it out and see for yourself.  Anyways, I think a Crew would be a good board for you for awhile.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 12:44pm
People have mixed opinions about flows. I personally don't like the way they feel and prefer regular front entry bindings. As for your board, I think you'll be happy with the arbor. Learning on a longer board may be a bit more difficult, but it'll help you learn to turn and control your board faster as long as you're motivated.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 12:57pm
I'm 5'11 175 and I did a 160 wide Burton Bullet. The thing is great really makes you learn to turn properly and doesn't kick your ass for small mistakes and it won't break the bank. make sure you focus on the boots more than anything though
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 1:31pm
in terms of boots i suggest to go to the shops and try out which one is more comfortable and which one you prefer. I would say this is very important. Also check out what lace system you prefer, speed lace, boa or traditional. I have boa inside and traditional on outside.

in terms of bindings, i prefer burton cartels.. as i find burton ratchet is really easy to use. Ride Spi bindings i find are ok as well, but i find the rachet a bit annoying to take off.

Board... something with more flex, and possibly reverse camber.. k2 www?

kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 1:56pm
its almost year end, you might as well wait for the deals to start rolling in to see what you can get your hands on.

do not get the www, its alot more leaned towards park riding
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:11am
Yea I was probably gonna wait till the end of the month before I actually make a purchase since it's getting close to the end of the season. I was at my local ski chalet and he said the same thing.

Question about boots? Are they really supposed to tight (heel to toe)? I was looking at some butron boots since they give u a smaller foot print (wear size 11) on the board with the shaping of their boots. Tired on a pair and it just felt weird since I have always been use to having a lil space from end of toe to shoe.

And purchasing online as apposed to going to a brick and mortar store for my first set up? i know u can get some great deals online but since i really don't know what or how to set up bindings correctly should i just go in. Was at ski chalet and the sales clerk said any savings i would get online would pretty much be waisted if i went to them to set it up since they would charge more to do it.

And thanks for all the input/patients again all of it has been helpful.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:39am
Hey man,

Yes, boots are supposed to be tight, well more like fitted, from heel to toe. If you moved your big toe up and down you should feel the front of your boot. Also i would ensure that there is no heel lift as that isn't a good thing.

Buying online/brick mortar is all preference. Sometimes, the shop will even price match, you never know unless you ask. Also mounting bindings isn't that hard of a deal, you could youtube it and save yourself money and gain some knowledge.

'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 3:24am
i have seen few types of boots so far: the ratchet dial system (wonder how durable it would be), the true lace up, a pull cord style, and a combination of the three in some fashion. which is most reliable? how durable is that ratchet dial? (dont know if its the correct term lol)
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 3:45am
ratchet dial = boa, i have heard of them snapping and what not. They can be replaced, i personally don't use them. Look for dual boa's if you going to be grabbing a pair.

pull cord - speedzone (from burton's boots) are my preference. Pretty fast and my boots are usually good until i take them off. Not too sure if they changed them all, but the dual zones would be preffered.

lace up - tried and true method. Old school and slow though. Wife take's way too long to lace up if you ask me.
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 4:15am
I have seen the speedzones before and thought it looked a lil messy cause of all the extra cord. or have they fixed that issue. could imagine having cord spewing out everywhere lol. and yea i would be so pissed if i bought those boa's and they broke before or during a session!! i seen a boa/lace up burton where the boa tightened up the middle portion and then the laces took care of the outside.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 4:36am
Originally posted by azn_dan

ratchet dial = boa, i have heard of them snapping and what not. They can be replaced, i personally don't use them. Look for dual boa's if you going to be grabbing a pair.

pull cord - speedzone (from burton's boots) are my preference. Pretty fast and my boots are usually good until i take them off. Not too sure if they changed them all, but the dual zones would be preffered.

lace up - tried and true method. Old school and slow though. Wife take's way too long to lace up if you ask me.

not only do boa break, but once it breaks its very difficult to replace and expensive. l belive its like 80$, for that though, might as well get a new pair
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 5:15am
anyone got some goggle advice? was looking at some anon hawkeye's which look pretty sick. But i kinda like the zeal's and how the lenses changes from light to dark depending on the conditions which is pretty sweet. cost would be more but wouldn't need different goggles/lenses. and i was looking at getting the mutiny 2 helmet so i like that anon's have the 1:1 fit (i am aware both are made by burton)
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 5:22am
if your goggles can change color, l would get those because then its fitting for all season. practicality is more important than the actual style of it. get ones that fit comfortably. cheap ones=cheap padding
chriskot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 5:27am
Don't worry about setting up bindings, you can easily look up a video online to do it.

Also it never hurts to ask if they can give you an additional discount for buying an entire setup in the store.  I've never paid the sticker price for stuff I've purchased in store, always gotten a 10-15% discount.  That way if you are buying in the store you can also try on the boots and what not.

In terms of the lacing system I think the regular lacing system is really without fault for performance and you will only have to put them on once, maybe twice a day so I don't see the speed as a huge deal.  I don't like the speed lace systems because they always seem to come undone for me.  I haven't tried BOAs but my next boot I am planning to get one just to see how I like it.

I don't really see the need for flow bindings since I feel getting into regular bindings is easy enough.  I'd stick with Union or Rome.
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 5:55am
for binding isn't there a certain direction they should be facing or i should say angle?
chriskot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Cmartins

for binding isn't there a certain direction they should be facing or i should say angle?

The angles are about comfort more than anything else.  There are a few threads on what angles everyone has their bindings at.  If I had to guess I would say most people have some variation of a duck stance (when your feet point outwards) for riding switch and stuff.

Only thing I would note is some people have said that having an angular difference of more than 30 degrees is bad for your knees.  I don't know if that is true or not but I keep it within that to be safe.  Just put your bindings at a mellow duck stance like 9, -9 see how that feels after a few rides, then adjust from there.
letterandnumber View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 5:59am
I've seen BOA laces lock up and require a screwdriver to undo. The speed zone laces are definitely nice and easy but the only pair of boots I tried with them loosened up pretty quick. I ended up buying regular laced boots and obviously haven't had any issues. My brother is learning on the Sierra Crew/S90 package and it seems like a really nice, solid (and well priced) set up so I would definitely suggest that or maybe the Reverse Crew or Stunt.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 6:00am
this video should be more then enough to explain:

Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 6:53am
cool thanks for the video azn_dan!!
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:05am
no probs Big smile hope it all works out.
oddman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:11am
i suggest he pick up the 2011  Arbor formula 

Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:52am
Anyone got any thoughts to camber or rocker?

Camber is more stable at higher speeds and digs into longer turns (locked in feeling) and big works well on jumps. But can whip u around more if u are not concentrated on what u are doing. Supposedly not for beginners because of that fact and will take longer to master the technique.( i like a challenge lol)

Rocker is more of a "forgiving board" and allows u to be more playful and just enjoy riding and more of a jack of all trades board. Not all that stable at high speeds, turn radius is smaller, and can wash out more if pushed. A good board for beginners to learn on.

Am I correct with my assessment?

But either way u go ur gonna learn regardless of the board. And since i have really no preference/experience on either would it really matter because i am gonna learn and get my bumps and bruises just like everyone else?
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:54am
i think you should buy a 7-ch home theater system over the 5-ch

baazzing...i'm so hilarious!  LOL
be talkin to ya
Aric889 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
camelback

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:19pm
Thx for all the info guys, I am new to snowboarding and anticpate buying a board in the near future.
Sierraboarder4pow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:24pm
I like the camber over the rocker. The rocker is real nice for avoiding catching an edge, and you are able to do more tricks and such, but the camber just feels like a better ride, and you go allot faster. Rocker for park, Camber for all round is my thought. Idk, its personel preference, try them out and see what you like.
happybik3 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:49pm
good video azn_dan
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 4:06pm
reverse camber is more forgiving only if you know what you are doing, if not, you just end up washing out a lot.
i suggest startin off wit reg. camber to learn the edge feel and control. as a starter, edge hold will feel more stable and is more apparent if you do make a mistake. where a reverse camber will wash out and it gives you less feed back cuz there's less edge feel.
while reg. camber rely more on the edge hold, reverse camber rely more on the balance of the rider.
for size, probably around 159cm wit a waist width of 253mm, which you might need to get a wide board depending on the board. if you get the skrinage boots, then 250mm. and get a board wit a softer flex rating, it's more forgiving. also wit true twin so later when you learn switch, it'll be easier.  
make sure you get good boots, and try on as many as you can before buying to see what fits you best and what kinda laces you like. having a boot that doesn't fit perfectly can ruin your whole day.  
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 10:26am
appreciate all the info think i got a good idea about what I'm gonna get.
 Post Reply Post Reply