Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whos the Better Rider
    Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:21am
Are you better if you are a park rat or if you are taking double blacks down with ease?
infernoflo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:23am
different strokes for different folks.  it's funny because i used to love going fast and when i started learning about jibbing, i switched over. 
GoHuckYourself View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:26am
All mountain riding (double blks). anotherwords, you can use the whole mountain as a terrain park: rock drops, cliff drops, tree jibs, knuckles, natural jumps. not only can one perform the same spins and ariel tricks on them but they are more difficult to pick out and you need keen riding skills to be able to hit these types of features. all mountain riding requires more skill. 
Nathan
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:53am
I would say playing in the park is easier. A basic boarder can do basic jumps but not really do blacks.
C02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:55am
all mountain jibbing for me. :)
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:57am
Park Rat.

Look at the kids coming from the midwest and slaying.  Or the Scandinavians coming from mountains that have 200' vertical and slaying everything. 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:38pm
It's alot harder and alot more appealing when you see someone use natural terrain to huck themselves off of and stomp a trick than it is in the park.  That's my opinion.  I still enjoy watching some of the park rats stomp bigger tricks than me, but I have more respect for the guy who uses the mountain for what it is.  I can do a lot more tricks in the park than I can on the mountain.  I wish it was the other way around.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:51pm
double black doesnt mean anything in general.  run ratings are based on the hardest run at your resort.  a midwest double black could be an easy run in the PNW for example.

in the end, it doesnt matter.  if one person is great at park and another at natural terrain, then neither is best.  one is better at one thing and the other at another.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Park Rat.

Look at the kids coming from the midwest and slaying.  Or the Scandinavians coming from mountains that have 200' vertical and slaying everything. 
put em on top of a line up here in haines and see how well they do.  whos better now, them or someone whos good at ak lines?  one is better at one thing, the other is better at another....
tdobbins1231 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:54pm
I hate anything straight down with no feature or anything wheres all the fun in that i'd rather hit jumps or features or somethin like that
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:56pm
It depends what your doing in the park.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:57pm
...rather, who has more soul, or rather what discipline better encompasses the "soul of snowboarding"? ya probably can guess what i think, but the xgames, especially the street competition was not, in my opinion, a good representation of the "S of S".
Flpstyl View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:00pm
Loaded question..... I think as long as you enjoy it.  I think the better rider is the one that enjoys himself the most while on the mountain.  Of course as long he is not an ass hat, being reckless and being a danger to others on the mountain.
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:11pm
i donno...if you overlap you tend to be stronger in one aspect than the other...I don't judge people who ride a specific style as better or worse...but overall if you can ride park well and still slay the rest of the mountain...I think thats my favorite style of riding
dabomb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:13pm
I'd say Park Rat. It's more exciting.
jardigan777 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:18pm
who ever has the most fun is what i think
c0r3yp View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and my cousin.. yeah im wearin jeans.. scrub day lol

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:22pm
park rat for suree cuz normally if your in the park you know how to ride and its way more challengign to tear it up in the park then it is on a hill where all you do is carve.. just my opinion
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:23pm
Your the best if you can take the double black parks with ease and steeze.
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by jardigan777

who ever has the most fun is what i think

took the words out of my mouth, most fun is the winner!!!
play young stay young!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by c0r3yp

park rat for suree cuz normally if your in the park you know how to ride and its way more challengign to tear it up in the park then it is on a hill where all you do is carve.. just my opinion
jesus christ.  come ride an ak line and then tell me that.  in the park you know how to do tricks.  but there are sooooo many kids who just do jumps and rails but suffer at actually RIDING.  all you have to do for jumps is scrub your speed right till you hit the jump so you clear it properly.. same for rails.  you never HAVE to carve or do real turns or anything, you can slip slide around just fine to get where you need to go in order to hit features.

try riding a line in haines, navigating where you need to go (yes, need to, otherwise you could easily get seriously injured or die), managing your speed AND your slough, doing it without looking terrible, and pulling it off in the end, not to mention dealing with just how steep it all is.. you never realize it till you get up there.  how much skill does that take vs a cool rail trick or a spin off a park jump?

you get good at what you do.  if you ride park all the time youll get good at it.  if you like park more, fine.  that doesnt mean its "better," it means you like it more.  my point is that its all subjective, and that being better at one thing vs the other doesnt make one better, or make the rider better than another.  there is not one line of building your skill, there are many branches and different aspects of riding.
seyheeya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 3:09pm
Why not try to do both very well?!
jman254 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:01am
If you can carve the mountain well then you can do anything in the park most likely, but if your a park rat it might take a while to do the mountain.
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:11am
Two different things, but I'd say double black with ease is a harder task.
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:12am
if your a park rat you can have fun by buttering and playing around on the slopes thats what i do but now i like to ride slopes more and hit jump
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:17am
Couldn't agree more
I'm going to PC tomorrow and I can't wait to see the runs, here in the mid west I bomb straight down the "double blacks"
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:18am
its different. park riding is cool but if u bust your nose, thats only funny. best if you can just do both though for ultimate rider
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:28am
Originally posted by spenser

double black doesnt mean anything in general.  run ratings are based on the hardest run at your resort.  a midwest double black could be an easy run in the PNW for example.

in the end, it doesnt matter.  if one person is great at park and another at natural terrain, then neither is best.  one is better at one thing and the other at another.

This + a million
More Tea Lord Douglas?
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Flpstyl

Loaded question..... I think as long as you enjoy it.  I think the better rider is the one that enjoys himself the most while on the mountain.  Of course as long he is not an ass hat, being reckless and being a danger to others on the mountain.

This is the most sensible answer yet in my opinion.  Do what is fun and keep it respectful out there.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:50am
I like hitting jibs and small jumps while cruising down some blues lol
L3mnhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 6:30am
I've seen kids in the park who can't even do toeside turns do jumps and rails.  Does that make them a good rider?  I don't think so...
dbalekian View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 6:34am
Way more comfortable bombing down black diamonds. I am worse in the park, so it really doesn't make it that much fun for me. I usually just hit a few small jumps in the park.
Brent View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 10:14am
If your taking down double blacks I believe that your a better rider than a park rat. I think that your balance would be about the same though between the two.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 10:24am
Yeah, you are definitely a better "rider" if you can bomb double blacks versus being a park rat.  Not that park rats can't do that.

Recently I rode on a chairlift over a terrain park and heard two skiers comment about some 360's....."Yeah, but you should see how much they suck riding down a mountain."  I think they were jealous.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 10:25am

Originally posted by c0r3yp

jesus christ.  come ride an ak line and then tell me that.  in the park you know how to do tricks.  but there are sooooo many kids who just do jumps and rails but suffer at actually RIDING.  all you have to do for jumps is scrub your speed right till you hit the jump so you clear it properly.. same for rails.  you never HAVE to carve or do real turns or anything, you can slip slide around just fine to get where you need to go in order to hit features.

try riding a line in haines, navigating where you need to go (yes, need to, otherwise you could easily get seriously injured or die), managing your speed AND your slough, doing it without looking terrible, and pulling it off in the end, not to mention dealing with just how steep it all is.. you never realize it till you get up there.  how much skill does that take vs a cool rail trick or a spin off a park jump?

you get good at what you do.  if you ride park all the time youll get good at it.  if you like park more, fine.  that doesnt mean its "better," it means you like it more.  my point is that its all subjective, and that being better at one thing vs the other doesnt make one better, or make the rider better than another.  there is not one line of building your skill, there are many branches and different aspects of riding.

Nico and Jake both started out as park rats and they are the epitome of freeriding.
http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1000135672/featuresobf/nicolas-muller-and-jake-blauvelt-nowhere-sneak-peak/

My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
chriskot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 11:42am

This is what I agree with.  Get best at what you find most fun.
aboarder808 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 11:53am
it depends on the person. if u can hit 50-60 foot gappers and stomp multiple tricks with ease than you are probably better than most riders. and at @ spenser it takes alot more skill to hit a handrail than just scrubbing your speed.
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 1:11pm
they are two different things. I have noticed that a lot of park riders lack some basic snowboarding abilities. Then again, there are some that are great at actual ability and are learning different maneuvers in the park. Double black diamond means nothing. I can ride a double black diamond here in PA no problem and I've been boarding for three year. I don't consider myself to be anywhere near a great or even good boarder. Like spenser said, its all about how hard your mountain itself is. So I'd say no broad statements which are better or more talented because you just don't know
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 1:13pm
I prefer long runs. The park is fun too though.
ALEMU94 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 1:17pm
It is probably the same amount of experience, but I personal like to go fast and hit jumps, so I am in between. (I still need to work on those rails)
2010 Burton Blunt 156w | 2009 Burton Cartels | 2009 32 Fruit Boots
board_to_death View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 2:02pm
Here is a nerd/instructor view of this, but I'd have to say the guy who can ride steeps effectively and dynamically. 

My argument -- in order to do this you have to be able to
1 have enormous edge awareness and control
2 be able to ride/pressure the board from tip to tail
3 have enormous base awareness and control
4 be able to manipulate terrain

I do think sick park riders have to do 3+4 but not 1 and 2.  Now I think many do, but that is bonus and not required.

Said another way, imagine if we had had a total park rat and a total big mountain rider, and both never did the other discipline -- who do you think would show more progress in a week?

I'd bet on the merits above, the big mountian rider would do much better at the other discipline.

Park rats, flame away!
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 3:16pm
I would say riding the "double blacks" of terrain parks takes way more guts than riding a double black run. As steep as those double blacks are, you can always be in contact with the snow. For me, it takes way more skill to fly through the air with crazy speed than any run does.
sullyj42 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 3:22pm
depends on how you look at it; for resorts 99% of the time the parks will have more difficult terrain than the steeps, but if your going backcountry you can hit terrain that is more difficult than any resort; ie deeper from this year, also it obviously depends on the conditions, a 3ft powder run down a normally very technical line may not be as tech. 
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 3:55pm
They're both really difficult, but it's all preference. I never got the hang of rails, boxes or big jumps, but I can do double blacks all day.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 3:55pm
i blow in park
my mom says im hardcore
muddog257 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 7:34am
It takes more skill and time and blood and sweat to be a park rat. But you have to have some balls to hit some double blacks. But the best is the person who can do both.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 8:09am
Originally posted by muddog257

It takes more skill and time and blood and sweat to be a park rat. But you have to have some balls to hit some double blacks. But the best is the person who can do both.

^ yeah, what he said.

Personally, I think an advanced rider excels in both though.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 8:25am
Both are great to be good at but if you are great at park you are going to be more well known than a down hill skier
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 8:45am
I'd say...

Both.  

You could take your DB guy and throw him in the park, and he would jib around a bit.  
Then you could take your rat and throw him down a DB, and he would jib around a bit. 

To each his own.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 8:53am
I'd say that the rider who is enjoying it more is the better rider.
andydeckerrr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 8:56am
all mountain is way more fun to me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>