Las Vegas Ski/Snowboard Resort

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Las Vegas Ski/Snowboard Resort
    Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 9:31am
HELL YEAH!  Went up Saturday to see the new park, guys did an AWESOME JOB!  
Now you just gotta set up some small features down on "Bimbo" for us noobs!
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 10:09am
one of those big hotels needs to build a solid indoor mtn
be talkin to ya
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 10:15am
they can definitely afford it, but, idk, I heard the "family entertainment" draw of vegas didn't really work out...so I guess sleaze is back in(?)
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 11:40am
Right...cause so many people pack their snow gear for their Vegas Vacation!  LOL!

Family entertainment really went downhill when they closed down Wet and Wild water park, but they are building a new one that should be done this summer.  

I'm uploading the pics I took saturday so when are are done you can see how we throw down here in the desert...
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 5:06pm
indoor mtns arent all that. and they're super small. I went to the one in dubai and for something in the desert, its enough for the fix. but I think the drive to BH would yield better results.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 6:25am
Not me, but some good footage of the park here in Vegas none the less:

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 8:50am
Bummer...totally forgot they are hosting "World SnowBoard Day" today on the hill.  My ribs are still sore from my fall last week :( 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 2:26pm
Found this vid...a good run through our park as it currently stands.
Not sure if it's official, but his youtube summary lists the jumps as follows:

1st:  1ft
2nd: 10ft on left and 20ft on right
3rd: 30ft
4th: 35ft
5th: 15ft table gap. 

and I'm pretty sure he snaked that boarder on the last flat box!

nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 2:54pm
dude. i just gave someone info about LVSSR. they were pretty stoked to hear about it.
-the vid counters how small I thought the runs would be. Theres definitely enough there to have fun. hope your ribs get better. theres nothing like being in pain every time you breathe.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by nautika96

dude. i just gave someone info about LVSSR. they were pretty stoked to hear about it.
-the vid counters how small I thought the runs would be. Theres definitely enough there to have fun. hope your ribs get better. theres nothing like being in pain every time you breathe.
Thanks!  Doc said nothings broke so I should be fine next week since I'm just taking my 8 year old up and won't be hitting anything.  Funny, cause after I fell, I finished out the day and didn't start feeling it till I got sick and was caughing/sneezing all week :( 

We have that run and another lift with a run the same size but more open.  There another path off that lift that's not filled with jumps as well, so yeah, it's deffinatly pretty good for vegas, but easily the smallest hill I've ever been to.  But I'm proud to call it my home mountain! 
Ima try to post the pics from last week sometime today. 

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 8:32am

This is the little begginer jump off to the side:

The roll in to build speed for the little jump:

The table:

The log.  behind it is a kink rail:

2 quarter pipes and the pill box:

2 quarter pipes:

The "Dance Floor":

sadly, this is the ENTIRE "lodge"!

This is all the parking they have.  I guess there's a shuttle when it gets full, but I'm always early enough to get a spot:

LOL!

Bunny slope with the 2 runs off lift 1 in the back:

Roads are almost always cleared first thing in the morning:

Snow and Cacti

I love the "Ski Area" sign in the middle of the desert!

and the arrow to "snow mountain" (not the resort) point AWAY from the mountain and into the desert!

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 8:47am
lol, that's some of the better conditions in the country right now...but we need more pics
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 8:54am
I'm actually really happy with how it's been lately, but unfortunaly, that's probably as good as it's going to get, where as other places will start really dumping soon!

And I think I posted way more then I intended to!  LOL!  The rest of the shots I took were more scenic stuff for my kids to entice them to come up with me. 
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by MrMeaty

I'm actually really happy with how it's been lately, but unfortunaly, that's probably as good as it's going to get, where as other places will start really dumping soon!

And I think I posted way more then I intended to!  LOL!  The rest of the shots I took were more scenic stuff for my kids to entice them to come up with me. 

You need to 'entice' them? Boarding should be enough fun in and of itself to make them want to go. I used to love going skiing when I was a kid
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 9:29am
Originally posted by namsapalooza

You need to 'entice' them? Boarding should be enough fun in and of itself to make them want to go. I used to love going skiing when I was a kid
Yup...my kids are desert city rats and don't like the cold!  My oldest (8 year old girl) is super stoked to go after going only once last season, but the other 2 could care less Cry
I think I'll get my son skateboarding this summer first and then take him up next season...
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 11:21am

Originally posted by namsapalooza

Yup...my kids are desert city rats and don't like the cold!  My oldest (8 year old girl) is super stoked to go after going only once last season, but the other 2 could care less Cry
I think I'll get my son skateboarding this summer first and then take him up next season...

I'm sure if they're bundled up enough, they'll start to like it soon! The snow should be really refreshing and at the end of the day they get to drive back down into the warm desert. Couldn't be better!
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 4:10pm
Took my 8 year old up for her first real time today.  She did surprisingly well.  The lift on the bunny slope is so easy LOL!  She took one run on the big lift, totally fell off the lift at the top!
Well, actually, her legs were to short to reach the snow from the lift, and since I didn't let go of her, I ended up puller her off the chair and right onto her face!  

But she was a trooper, and she had so much more fun on the big hill.  She didn't want to do that lift again, but she did way better on the bunny hill after getting a taste of speed.

Way to busy today, though.  Only got maybe 5 or 6 runs in through the whole day :( 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 9:06am
LVSSR is having a special running this Monday through Friday, 9-13.  Normal ticket prices are $50 weekday and $60 weekend, but they are selling a 4 day pass for $149 that's good on any 4 days for the rest of the season!  Works out to $37.25 a day. That's about 35% off weekend prices which is usually when I go.  That's a pretty good deal.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 8:03am
Picked up my pass...still hasn't snowed in months but it's been cold enough to blow every night so every run (I know, it's only 11) is open.  And apperently they just put in a 20ft rail and did some redesign to the park.  I'm going up tomorrow.  

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 8:21am
Went up yesterday and had probably the best day all season!  Not due to snow conditions, I'm just getting better Wink
They are redoing the park so a couple jumps were closed, but they are catering to us noobs as well, widening the launch area on rails and boxes so we can use them as little jumps before we get the nerve to hit the bigger kickers.  
Snow was good for being blown, but the side tracks are starting to get bare cause not only have we had no snow, but it's been super warm as well.  
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 9:50am
Here's a good video I found showing off some of the new features this season:

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 1:37pm
I did some searching and found pics of the master plan.
http://business.transworld.net/68626/news/las-vegas-ski-snowboard-resort-will-expand/

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2012 at 10:40pm
Getting some snow tomorrow and I'm heading back up Sunday.  Went to Mt. Rose in Tahoe last week and was not impressed.  I'm sure the bigger tahoe resorts are way better but I only had time for a short trip before getting back to the office for work.  

Anyway, the local guys put up a couple more edits:

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 6:41am
OMG!  Epic day yesterday! 
Got 3 inches the night before so the morning was super nice.  Plus it lightly snowed on and off all day so it stayed fresh. 
There is the small curvey canyon run that I remember from last season that I went looking for back through the trees and I ended up stumbling on some knee deep untracked powder.  My first time ever on some true deep pow and I felt like a surfing ninja!  So smooth and so quite!   Screw the park...POW is my new pation!

But they re-did the park as well.  Aded a big round rail and a curve rail, took down the table top jump but added 2 smaller (my size) jumps that are great for learining on. 

Such an epic day.  Deffinatly need to get a season pass next year...
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:03pm
New feature and some events:

winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:23pm
so mr.meaty. is vagas real snow or is ti all fake? my idea of vagas is really hot and the area around. last time l went it was 100+ in sept 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:32pm
They are able to blow snow over 100% of the mountain which is why we were the first resort open in the US this season...back in October for one weekend.  Then we opened full time 2 weeks before thanksgiving because we got some REAL snow.  Since then they have been blowing snow up until early this month when we got another foot of snow.  

So yes, we do get REAL snow, but you usually count it in inches.  The rest is blown.  

On a side note, I went to Crystal Mountain in Washington this weekend when it was white out and windy as all get out.  Not a single jump and just 4 rail "features" in their "park" and apparently it's a ski mountain that "tolerates" snowboarders, so I'll take my little Las Vegas hill over Crystal Mountain any day of the week!  
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:41pm
haha l'm just saying lsaw those picture and it seems like thoses some brown area
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 7:12pm
Yeah, it hasn't been a great snow season for anyone.  Those pics were from December and we got hit with 2 or 3 storms since then, but right now our base is 47", and I think the best it's been is in the 60s or 90s.  But hey, we ARE still in the middle of the desert!  

I think it's actually a lot more then people expect to find in Las Vegas.  

AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 8:19pm
thats a whole lot more snow than socal resorts
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 9:02pm
Hey, I think we finally got some snow today!
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 6:30am
Yup...got another 3" last night. 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 4:47am
Got 9" on Tuesday.  I really wish I would have called out of work:

and yes...this is Las Vegas!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 6:07am
nice.  Did you take those pics?
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 7:18am
I wish...someone else posted on their FB page and it made it to my hill's homepage.
I didn't even make it up yesterday Cry
Hopefully there still some pow left in the trees when I get up on Saturday. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:00am
well, the good news is you have over 2500 feet more elevation above your highest chair to explore. There's gonna be plenty of fresh tacks for you on sat...especially if you hike a little.

we also got 8" out of this storm, but I just got back from the last 8", so I'm going to wait for the next storm (hopefully double digits next week or two)
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:11am
Nice pow pics meaty!

-b
get bent
TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:15am
This seems like a pretty cool resort, looks like I should plan a trip there somethime. How much are lift tickets there normally.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:16am
Those are some breath taking pictures. @MrMeaty
I go Night Skiing and there is none of that fresh powder reflecting from the blessed sunshine.
AHHH.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by TTowncrazy

This seems like a pretty cool resort, looks like I should plan a trip there somethime. How much are lift tickets there normally.
Kinda of pricey.  $50 weekday and $60 weekend/holiday.  But if you have a snowjam card, you can get $10 off weekday tickets.  And right now you can get a spring pass for $129 that is good for every day thoughout the rest of the season.  And they plan to be open though April. 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 10:06am
Saturday was super rocky slushfest 9000...LOVED IT!  Got so much goggle burn. about 45degrees.  total hoodie weather!  took out the sierra stunt I wont so my good deck wouldn't get wrecked and one of the lift operaters offered to buy it off my feet.  I said $150 and after lunch he showed me a $100 bill for it on the spot, but I had to turn him down. 

Anyway, here are some pics of the new rail and the big stair box.  Drop is a good 15 feet off the box and didn't think anyone would hit it, but I saw 2 guys 50-50 off the end, one guy boarslide the rail and another guy clearing the entire stair gap:

I'm not sure why this bonk had a wooden plank launch on it, but it's new too:

SoCalRyder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My little guy showin up the old man

Quote SoCalRyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 10:10am
I cannot believe that LV snow looks as good or better than So Cal snow. Why didnt I buy rental property in LV when i had the chance?!!

That's right it's in LV. That and the Sun spends it's summers there.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 5:04am
Originally posted by SoCalRyder

I cannot believe that LV snow looks as good or better than So Cal snow. Why didnt I buy rental property in LV when i had the chance?!!

That's right it's in LV. That and the Sun spends it's summers there.
Yeah...the summers get damn hot, but I love being less then an hour away from the snow and a few hours away from nice snow in southern Utah and southern Cali.  Plus we are only a few hours away from the beach and disneyland, and the airport here and direct flights pretty much anywhere.  

Oh...and we are supposed to get another foot of snow this Saturday so I may go back Sunday for my last day of the season!  
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 6:39am
So we got 10 inches on Saturday and I went up Sunday and it snowed all day.  Roads said needed chains but they were actually pretty clear so I made it up.  Wasn't prepared for so much pow! 
It was great in the trees with just a few solid tracks, but the rest of the hill was so much work!  So many people falling pulling divets in the snow, and they were not fixing up the jumps, so they started getting smaller and the landings were all choppy.  I think I prefer nicely groomed or untracked powder over noob chopped powder! 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 4:56am
We got another couple inches over the weekend, but it looks like they have stopped grooming since the last big storm.  They plan to stay open a couple weeks into April but I've already started packing up my gear for the season.  Even though it didn't snow much, I had a great season on my little local hill.  
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 7:06am

We got another couple inches over the weekend, but it looks like they have stopped grooming since the last big storm.  They plan to stay open a couple weeks into April but I've already started packing up my gear for the season.  Even though it didn't snow much, I had a great season on my little local hill.  

Keep your board within arm's reach meaty, I still intend to get down there with my board this spring!

-b
get bent
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 4:47am
I'm always down for another run :)
They will have an airbag up this weekend.
And next week during spring break, all kids are free with a paying adult, plus lessons and rentals are only $20.  Makes me want to take my 5 year old up and get her a ski lesson before I start taking her on my own...
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 8:04am
We got an airbag all week:

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 5:02am
bryman:
If you're going to come up, better make it this week.  My hill is closing on the 8th this Sunday.  It's been hitting the 80's down in the valley, but we got a little cold spell this week so temps on the hill should be nice 40 degree spring boarding weather for when I take my daughters up for the last time.  Gotta take advantage of that $20 ski lesson!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:56am

bryman:
If you're going to come up, better make it this week.  My hill is closing on the 8th this Sunday.  It's been hitting the 80's down in the valley, but we got a little cold spell this week so temps on the hill should be nice 40 degree spring boarding weather for when I take my daughters up for the last time.  Gotta take advantage of that $20 ski lesson!

Calendar's not looking good for me to get down there this week . . . but maybe something will come up.  Glad you had a fun year down there, either way

-b
get bent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>