Las Vegas Ski/Snowboard Resort

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 234

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Las Vegas Ski/Snowboard Resort
    Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 4:49am
Spend the slushfest on the bunny hill with my 8 year old, her 10 year old friend, and next to my 5 year old taking her first ski lesson!  $40 for my ticket, $20 for my 5 year olds 2 hour lesson and $20 for her rental.  All 3 of them got free lift tickets as well has cotton candy and snow cones from the spring festival up there.  Pretty sweet!

And on Easter Sunday, I didn't get to go but they had a free ride to the top of lift 1 for an Easter Sunday service followed by free pancake breakfast and an easter egg hunt with summer concert tickets and a pass for next season hidden in some eggs!  

They say they are adding more trails next year, so I'm really excited to see what they have planned for next season!  
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:07am
Sunday was the last day open this season...wish I would have went.  Apparently the entire hill was over run by chicks in bikinis...
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 5:32am
Guess I missed it then -- sounds like a good time (especially in Vegas)

-b
get bent
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 1:58am
Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard resort is now offering Disc Golf.

Pretty sweet. Would be a nice way to spend an afternoon.

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 4:58am
They'v had a few concerts up there as well.
So much nicer then the 115 degree heat we've had down in the valley
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Quote NickinChicago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 7:30am
I need to get up there to do some hiking. The heat down here has sucked all summer so far. At least today it is nice and cool with rain. Now if the rain would just go away so I can go shooting.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 7:54am
Thats what I was thinking. It would be nice to get away from the brutal heat for the day and enjoy the mountain.

Its raining a little up there right now.

I forgot to mention the disc golf is only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:28am
Looks like they are going to have a couple more new runs this season!
They also swapped out the double chair on the bunny hill for a quad.  Now I can help both of my daughters at the same time instead of taking one up and then racing down to grab the other!  
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:33am
Dude.  I am definitely riding in Vegas this season.  It looks to me like those chairs don't actually access the top, though.  Is there some gnar sidecountry we could access if we do some hiking?

-b
get bent
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:48am
For sure.  They have a 12 year plan (ugh) to expand all the way up, but currently chair doesn't even go halfway up the top.  Base lodge is at 8510 feet, top of chair 1 is 9310 feet, but longest run is 3000 feet.   There is a good 2000 feet of hiking up.  It's not groomed, but they do avalanche control up there and it's a pretty clear open shot.  

I'm not sure which runs they are adding this season, but I don't they put in any new lifts, so they probably didn't add any higher runs, just more lower byway criss cross runs as the 2 main lines go in 2 completely different directions leaving plenty of room for more runs.  I think I posted a pic of their plans a page or 2 back.  
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:54am
haha, we'll be the only people getting our touring gear ready at the top of the lift . . . .  But seriously, I do want to get down there when there's snow and if conditions permit you know I have an extra splitter set up I could bring to bear on the situation. 

-b
get bent
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 10:06am
NICE!  I've always wondered how those split setups worked!  But I haven't done the hike yet.  Natural conditions weren't great last season, but snowmaking covers all the main runs so we stuck to those.  I was thinking about just picking up some snow shoes to through in my pack to give it a shot.  We'll just have to see how the snow goes this year...
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 3:51pm
First snowfall of the season today?  Don't mind if I do!

lotechpeter View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lotechpeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 3:47am
that is awesome, I'm so excited to see some snow
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 3:49am
Curious where that shot was taken... it was cool in New England last night but not cold enough for snow.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Shift4200

Curious where that shot was taken... it was cool in New England last night but not cold enough for snow.
You must have missed the title of this thread Wink
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 5:02am
Dang meat what u doing up there in September?  Looks nice tho

-b
get bent
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 5:08am
Originally posted by MrMeaty

Oh i saw it, but i thought to myself no way that LV has beaten other parts of the country to the first snow... i guess I stand corrected.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 5:50am

Originally posted by MrMeaty

Oh i saw it, but i thought to myself no way that LV has beaten other parts of the country to the first snow... i guess I stand corrected.

Well, its not actually Las Vegas. Thats just the name of the resort. It used to be called Lee Canyon.

Lee Canyon is within Mt. Charleston. About a 45/50 minute drive from Las Vegas.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 6:36am
Crazy, right?  We were the first resort to open last season too.  they had installed new snow blowers and it just happen to get cold enough a couple weeks in October and blew enough to open the bunny hill for a weekend last october!  
I do live in Vegas, but I wasn't actually up at Lee.  I grabbed that pic off their website.  And chillwill is right, it's actually in Lee Canyon which is between Mount Charleston and some other peak.  Used to be called "Lee Ski Resort" but has been under new management for about 6 years now (same guys who run Boreal) and now called "Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort" (LVSSR).  
What's funny is I think this is the first year they have been open for summer activities like frisbie golf, scenic chair lift rides and a summer concert series, and this crazy storm hit the DAY AFTER they had just closed their summer season!  I think this is a good sign for this winter Big smile
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 7:01am
^ the first resort where? A basin was the first resort to open in the country last season on October 13th, Loveland was the 14th. And once they opened it was for the season, not just a weekend. Unless you're talking about first resort in your area, which makes sense.

We've already got a few small snowfalls here too in the mountains, first one was around a month ago, but it's all melted the next day. I kinda hope the big snowfalls hold off til later this season, we had a 15" storm come through last October that made the backcountry snow really unstable the whole year.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by RastaRider

^ the first resort where? A basin was the first resort to open in the country last season on October 13th, Loveland was the 14th. And once they opened it was for the season, not just a weekend. Unless you're talking about first resort in your area, which makes sense.

We've already got a few small snowfalls here too in the mountains, first one was around a month ago, but it's all melted the next day. I kinda hope the big snowfalls hold off til later this season, we had a 15" storm come through last October that made the backcountry snow really unstable the whole year.

We had similar on/off snow here in the east last year too.  Rode on Halloween weekend in good coverage, then it melted to nothing... again for Thanksgiving, and again gone before I even left VT for the weekend.  In fact on Tday, we rode in some pretty heavy falling snow... would fill tracks before you could lap the mountain.  Shame it was gone in a matter of hours.

I too hope that all this early snow is a good sign for the winter to come. 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 11:52am
Originally posted by RastaRider

It was October 8th 2011.  Yes, it was only for that weekend, and it didn't officially open for over a month after, but c'mon, it's VEGAS!  I'm in the middle of the DESERT!  LOL

chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 12:05pm
Its kind of crazy at the amount of people who choose to visit Vegas during the summer..when it is 1000 degrees.

If they only knew that in the winter they could enjoy the strip, have fun AND go boarding.

There is even a bus that runs from Vegas to the mountain.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:20am
Looks like LVSSR got some snow last night/this morning. Plus they've had some of the snow makers on for a couple days.

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 11:12am
Yup...it's finally dropping temps.  Got a little bit of clouds and snowmaking is in full force for opening day next weekend!  I was really impressed with how much coverage they got blowing snow last year, and this year they cleared a few more trees to make more runs.  Should be good...
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 12:13pm
Yeah, they've made all kinds of improvements. They re-did the bar and grill. They resurfaced the deck on the patio. They added the new 4 seater to the bunny hill. And they added in some more runs, like you said. Its nice that they are spending money on the place to improve it.

Oh, and they re-did their website. Much nicer now.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 12:36pm
I'm surprised that they did not raise their prices with all the improvements they did.  
They did last year, I'm sure to raise money for everything they did this year, but only a little.  Still, prices are pretty high for what they have, but I don't mind.  Can't beat an hour drive from the middle of the desert to snow!
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 3:27pm
Exactly.  I agree the prices are pretty high being that it is a smaller resort, especially the Adult Anytime season pass.  But to be able to drive less than 1 hour from Las Vegas to go boarding is great.

And, if you don't want to drive, they have that bus that will take you for $20 round trip. Awesome deal.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 4:58am
I went up on Thursday.  We have had 0 snow, so it's all man made, but they do a great job with it.  No trees and nothing off the groomers cause it's rock, but they did manage to put up a couple rails and boxes, and even got 2 little hips and 2 decent size kickers out of it.  Best part, since they only have the 1 main lift running (out of 3) they are charging pre-season prices which is $35 full day.  Considering it's the only lift you really want to use anyway, it's a good deal.  
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 5:17am
Been raining all day in Vegas, which means it's been snowing all day on LVSSR and it brought us a foot of snow overnight!  
All 3 chairs are running with at least 2 trails each.  But this also means full season prices are in effect.  
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 6:18am
Got another foot of snow...this Saturday is going to be awesome!

Oh, and they have free wifi in the lodge now, so even though there is no cell reception, I'll at least be able to Tango with my wife so she can see how good a time the kids are having!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 7:54am
Have fun Meat I'm going to make it down there soon I promise

-b
get bent
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Have fun Meat I'm going to make it down there soon I promise

-b
I'm counting on it.  I have the entire first week of January off of work so should be able to head up a few times then.  Just don't come down between Jan 10-13 cause I'll be in Utah!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234