Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 891011>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official Union Bindings Thread
    Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 6:48am
Dang, what's the deal with Union's Custom House web page still not being released??

When I go to it, all I get is "Dropping October 2012."  It was annoying on October 10, Frustrating on Oct 20, now... straight inaccurate on Nov. 1st.

I love their co-labs and the team bindings.  Honestly, just to look at, but still...

Just a thought: are they behind on the T Rice pro-model?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 8:12am
sometimes things get delayed

what t-rice model?
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 8:42am
^^ - Was it just rumor?  I had read... not sure where now :{, that Rice was going to have a pro model, based on the Atlas baseplate.

Ah crap, maybe I read this wrong? http://blog.the-house.com/product-info/general/travis-rice-union-bindings/  His binding will be for next year?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 11:52am
I just got to playing with some Union binders and it got me thinking.
Those of you who use or have Union bindings, do you find it annoying or a little difficult unbuckling the toe strap?

I was finding that I couldn't really get a good hold of the buckle, couldn't comfortable get a finger under to pull up on it.  It doesn't have much of a latch. These were the 2013 models..I think they have same kind on the older models as well.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 11:59am
sticky ratchet complaints are common.  i find it easy if you kind of slap it open quick and hard, instead of grabbing it, lifting up, and trying to release it.  i rock my straps tight and sometimes the toe buckles want to stick, but they get better as they "break in."  i've never had any actual issues with them, but some people are anal about little things like that and hate them.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by JDiggidy

^^ - Was it just rumor?  I had read... not sure where now :{, that Rice was going to have a pro model, based on the Atlas baseplate.

Ah crap, maybe I read this wrong? http://blog.the-house.com/product-info/general/travis-rice-union-bindings/  His binding will be for next year?
they're not actually stating there will be a pro model next year.  knowing the house, it's just them speculating and writing something for their little blog post.  but for all i know there definitely could be a t-rice binder next year.  i guess we will find out in january.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by spenser

sticky ratchet complaints are common.  i find it easy if you kind of slap it open quick and hard, instead of grabbing it, lifting up, and trying to release it.  i rock my straps tight and sometimes the toe buckles want to stick, but they get better as they "break in."  i've never had any actual issues with them, but some people are anal about little things like that and hate them.
yeah I've read a lot of complaints that they're sticky
i'm finding there isn't much to grab hold of, good and bad thing.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 3:22pm
My DLX buckles are flawless. They are super smooth in and out. 
But I have an old pair of contacts that one buckle sticks really bad. 
Doesn't bother me that bad though.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 7:58am
I'm having some trouble grabbing hold of the toe buckle with my bare hands.. I can't imagine how hard it will be if I had gloves on.
Thanks for the responses, thought there would be more people who would respond though. =\
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by jhoang6

I'm having some trouble grabbing hold of the toe buckle with my bare hands.. I can't imagine how hard it will be if I had gloves on.
Thanks for the responses, thought there would be more people who would respond though. =\

I was playing with some older Datas and newer SL and noticed it's the same for both, in my experience.  The toe buckle sticks a bit compared to the ankle strap buckle, but no issues grabbing them from the bottom and just pulling them off with my gloves on.  The Datas have 50-70 days.  The SL <10days.

Did you google it?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 1:25pm
got some new boots and I need to adjust my DLX straps. Whats the proper way the straps should fit around my boot?
Do I make sure the padding of the straps is even on both sides of my boots? Or do I align the "Union" embroidered on the center?
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

got some new boots and I need to adjust my DLX straps. Whats the proper way the straps should fit around my boot?
Do I make sure the padding of the straps is even on both sides of my boots? Or do I align the "Union" embroidered on the center?

Heres a good vid on setting up your Unions

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 2:39pm
Awesome thats what I needed. Thanks a lot man.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 8:11pm
That's a great video!  Those ideals don't just apply to Union bindings though, right?  Can they not be applied to all bindings in general?
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 3:48am
l have to say yes. i ddin't realize about the ideal # of teeth. l never thought that was the cause. didnt realize the 2 position of your toe strap is for different purposes. l thought it was simply a fit and sizing issue
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by keljai

l have to say yes. i ddin't realize about the ideal # of teeth. l never thought that was the cause. didnt realize the 2 position of your toe strap is for different purposes. l thought it was simply a fit and sizing issue

Same here!  I had mine all the way to the front even though I was using it as a frontal toe cap.  I moved mine back one slot and realized it's now able to rotate farther forward!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 9:57am
My favorite part of that vid is when he talks about not having to rotate the highbacks.  Welcome to the future!

I'll also have to admit I hadn't heard the thing about the 4 teeth until I saw this vid last year too.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 10:11am
Is there a performance difference with rotating the highbacks vs. not rotating them?  The very first binding setup video I saw told me to rotate them to be flush to the heel edge and I've done it ever since.  Some of my friends say they don't bother.  Is it really just a preference?  Or are there benefits to one vs. the other lets say in the park vs. freeriding?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 11:01am
the point is for maximizing response and comfort.  union says you don't need to rotate because the highbacks flex torsionally (twisting), but calf bite isn't really the reason you rotate in the first place.

un-rotated, when you lean back into a heelside turn and press into the highbacks, you're doing so at an angle, where the highbacks flex more, so you are losing response.  when you rotate so they're parallel, you are pressing straight back into them, where they are more supportive/stiffer.  it can help with calf bite too, although like i said, that's not the main reason.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 11:18am
According to the video, he says it doesn't matter if you rotate the highbacks because now it's tapered.  The alignment to the heel edge is to give you "better" response when u r carving on the heel side, as well as preference for lateral flexing. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Didn't know that if u didn't have the 3-4 teeth thing it would cause pinching or pressure points to be pressed.  but I knew that the buckle should be closer to the end of your ladders and not bottomed out. great vid, good to catch up and check up my settings before going out this season.

Still a little hesitant with the toe buckle, I'd have to really check that out again.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:16am

Still a little hesitant with the toe buckle, I'd have to really check that out again.
My Atlas's last year started out not letting go worth a hoot.  Espessially by Left (forward) binding... then, all of the sudden, they started popping right on cue.  I think they just take some break in period.  My ankle straps have always released right on command as well.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 8:10pm
I got some contacts for my little brother. they should be coming in the mail tomorrow.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 5:03am
Are these this years DK's or 2013-2014?
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 5:13am
to my understanding those are this years.... not 13-14
MOAR powderz plz!
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 5:18am
Originally posted by MTpow

to my understanding those are this years.... not 13-14

i want those boob highbacks.  
-zakk

woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 6:03am
Just wondering thanks!
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 6:32am

According to the video, he says it doesn't matter if you rotate the highbacks because now it's tapered.  The alignment to the heel edge is to give you "better" response when u r carving on the heel side, as well as preference for lateral flexing. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Didn't know that if u didn't have the 3-4 teeth thing it would cause pinching or pressure points to be pressed.  but I knew that the buckle should be closer to the end of your ladders and not bottomed out. great vid, good to catch up and check up my settings before going out this season.

The toe buckle is my one and only issue with my Union bindings. I've demoed & riden a few different Union's and there is always an issue with the release of the toe strap buckle. Doesn't appear to be that big of an issue to resolve but Union does not use quality easy release buckles on their bindings which is a shame because the rest of their bindings are great.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 2:33pm
Spens, did they change anything from this years forces and last years. (11/12-12/13). I was trying on a pair of Burton Rulers in size 10 and they seemed super tight in the shop's 12/13s. I went home maxed out my binding straps and heelcup and I'd be baffled if they didn't work. It looks they would definitely work. Did they adjust the ladder size or something?
Thanks
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Oinker

The toe buckle is my one and only issue with my Union bindings. I've demoed & riden a few different Union's and there is always an issue with the release of the toe strap buckle. Doesn't appear to be that big of an issue to resolve but Union does not use quality easy release buckles on their bindings which is a shame because the rest of their bindings are great.
Thanks for your input everyone seems to be having little to no issues with it, thought I was being paranoid.  I'm surprised that you say that the buckles are crappy.. they tout how their buckles are whatever injected to keep it strong yet light.. You aren't the only one too.. plus I know that they've had issues with their springs. Thought the would have resolved this issue and if it were burton, they would have replacements. Union will probably ask you to buy it. This is where they fall short.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 4:48pm
the only difference between 2012 and 2013 forces is the ankle strap, to my knowledge.  last year's was their older direct connect system where the strip of plastic runs straight through the center of the strap, and this year's have the new core (cored out oval, better pressure distribution).  they're not asym like the ones on the atlas or contact pro, but it's essentially the same strap.

a size 10 burton shrinkage boot should fit in a M/L no problem so there must be some other reason it doesn't seem to work as well as you'd expect.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 3:05am
Thats what I figured. Fella at the shop musta not tightened the boot down all the way... 
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 1:15pm
Guys, just wanted your opinions, Force SL, would you say this is too stiff to take into the park with a Stunt?  Do you guys have any other suggestions?

I currently have Ride Beta MVMNT on my Stunt and I don't find the flex an issue when I go in the park.

When I tried Salomon Chief bindings on my Stunt, that was WAY too stiff for the park.  Too stuff in general actually.  Even my Burton C60 were more comfortable.  I wouldn't want that to happen again with the Force SL.

Any other recommendations?  Rome S90?  Cartel?  (I don't think the coupon will work on the Cartel though)

Thanks!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 1:42pm
SLs are really not that stiff.  With the regular stage 3 base, they may actually be a hair less responsive than the force just like the atlas.  In the past their highback was actually softer than the force as well, but I haven't been able to check out the new ones in person yet.  Either way, they're nothing like c60s.  I had a pair of 2009 ride betas for a little bit as well and those are stiffer by a little.  I feel like ride's bindings run stiffer in general, based on what they say about their intended use.

The point of the SL is basically to be for a force rider who wants something that's higher tech and significantly lighter.  The charger is the stiff binding in the line.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 2:15pm
Thanks, Spenser, so you'd still choose them over the S90?
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 2:32pm
Wouldn't it be awesome if you could buy this straight up?  I'd rock this!  (forgive the quick photoshopping)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by fj5

well I'd choose the SL just because I prefer unions, and I'm not too into rome binders, although they are definitely one of the top companies out there.  It depends what you want in a binding I guess.  The SL should be a little more responsive and noticeably lighter, and a bit higher end, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with the S90.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 10:59am

Originally posted by fj5

well I'd choose the SL just because I prefer unions, and I'm not too into rome binders, although they are definitely one of the top companies out there.  It depends what you want in a binding I guess.  The SL should be a little more responsive and noticeably lighter, and a bit higher end, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with the S90.

Alright, I feel MUCH more confident about the SL now, thank you so much for the input, Spenser!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by fj5

Originally posted by fj5

Alright, I feel MUCH more confident about the SL now, thank you so much for the input, Spenser!

Plus, they look a lot cooler in my opinion haha.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

Originally posted by fj5

Originally posted by fj5

Plus, they look a lot cooler in my opinion haha.

I totally agree, I like the funky colourway... I was hoping Union would come out with another all yellow Force... they had it in the past, but they took that colour out for some reason.  Not a high seller I guess?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 11:31pm
the yellow forces seemed to have sold well, but they still cycle colors every year.  they'll probably do another yellow binder in the near-ish future.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 12:09am
Really? I didn't see any all yellow in 2012 or 2013... I guess I'll have to wait it out till 2014.  Does anyone know if Union does custom setup orders, sorta like NikeID?  That would be sweet!

Sorta like Switchback bindings:

I love this concept!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 8:20am
i think the yellow ones were 2011

apparently union has been talking about something like that, but we don't know many details yet
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:39am
Yeah, I've seen these on the hill before, would be cool if they brought them out with white straps.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:49am
Man I would be so happy if I could custom design my Unions you have no idea.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:56am
i saw a pair of custom house "cobra dogs" at my local store the other day....

WAY COOL!
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by fj5

Yeah, I've seen these on the hill before, would be cool if they brought them out with white straps.

I really wanted these but they sold quick...ahhh thought the cyan's looked nice but in person wasn't that in awwe.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:19pm
Cyan's look really good on the 151 Reverse Crew... my choice in the current line-up would probably be green or magenta, they stand out the most.  The green would clash with my Stunt though, so probably the magenta.

What am I saying, I'm going SL, that'd be funky!  I wish the two colours were flipped though, they'd pop more!

coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 5:47am
^is that what your getting once you get 3k? 
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 12:02pm
Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for, I'm eager, but by the looks of my pace, I won't even get to use it this season.  Ah well, something to look forward to still.
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 4:00pm
Finished my CMYK Denim franks tonight.

http://thench.com/garage/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>