The Official Union Bindings Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hawkeyepnx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hawkeyepnx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official Union Bindings Thread
    Posted: Nov/22/2011 at 6:08pm
ive been interested in getting union bindings since last season. my budget is pretty tight and I cant go too crazy so I can only afford the flite or dlx, but I also am looking into the Rome S90 because the price is so good right now, as well as the burton custom or missions from last year. I was wondering what everyone here thought as far as bang for the buck? Go with Union still or take advantage of last year's savings?
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 5:36am
You can always buy used Union Force's on here for a descent price. I have no experience with Rome bindings but I have had two pairs of Union Force's and they are bomb proof
packfan4ever View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote packfan4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 6:04am
well as for cheaper bindings the s90s are the best you can get. i have never tried out the s90s but alot of people on here love them. I wouldnt ever consider last years burton customs or missions compared to the s90s. i had customs 3 years ago and their a waste of money your much better off spending more on good bindings or getting the s90s.   also you could wait and save up money for union forces they are awesome bindings, my second favoirte behind rome390s, and are well worth the $. maybee look for a blackfriday/ cybermonday sale on thouse but that could be hard to find a place that will discount thouse. so either get the s90s or find a way to get some extra cash for forces.
hawkeyepnx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hawkeyepnx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 6:24am
awesome suggestions. I think you are right. Ideally I think I am going to get a the rome s90s and and try to pick up SL or asadachi in the offseason when I have a little more capital. I really wanted the PBR bindings though. WOW
Daveongo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Daveongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 6:28am
the pbr bindings with that pbr board would be dope
tlab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tlab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 7:05am
What are lighter force or cartel?
tdahl824 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tdahl824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 7:21am
pretty sure cartels are from just lifting them up...i just got the atlas and they are lighter than both and about the same price as cartels
159w Burton Joystick: Burton Malavita ::: 164 Bataleon Jam : Union Atlas
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Quote yechiboarder770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 9:09am
Who's riding the 2012 Contact Pros from this year? What do you think of them? Who uses them for park and how do they hold up?
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 9:13am
Friday is my first day on my new Atlases...  Can't wait.  What an upgrade!
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
brettg34 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
LIBerated

Quote brettg34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 10:48am
hey do you guys have a preference between the over-the-toe strap or the cupped toe strap? are they ride style oriented or just preference basically?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 10:57am
Originally posted by yechiboarder770

Who's riding the 2012 Contact Pros from this year? What do you think of them? Who uses them for park and how do they hold up?
i have them on my fish.

super light binding, responsive edge to edge, but you get a little more play side to side because of the baseplate design.  i like them a lot.  i like a pretty responsive binding and i use a little extra forward lean, and they have been feeling fine since i've been riding them.  i don't do any park, just pow mostly, but i feel like i want more response in pow than i do just jibbing around if i ever do it.  they're "holding up" great for me so far.
shredtilimdead12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Early Morning Groomers @ Snowshoe Mtn

Quote shredtilimdead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 11:18am
last year i saw a special edition union force where one place took all the colors of the forces and jumbled up the parts. It came out a random jumble of awesomeness. I wish some place would do the same for this year's forces
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by shredtilimdead12

last year i saw a special edition union force where one place took all the colors of the forces and jumbled up the parts. It came out a random jumble of awesomeness. I wish some place would do the same for this year's forces
Thats called frankenbinders. Theres a thread about it.
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 2:21pm

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by luv2shred

Originally posted by shredtilimdead12

Thats called frankenbinders. Theres a thread about it.
they were superpros actually, it's a special program union does for shop kids.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2011 at 3:57pm
I wanna be a shop kid so someday i may own teams and superpros.... Someday...
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 5:23am
Last year there were plenty of Teams floating around the web so Union decreased the number they produced this year to make them a very limited binding for their team and shop kids....love the look of this years Team too.......
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by brettg34

hey do you guys have a preference between the over-the-toe strap or the cupped toe strap? are they ride style oriented or just preference basically?

So my right (uphill) toes capped correctly, but were really hard to release. I guess they're cinched down too far.  My left kept popping up over the boot, so I had to ride it as a strap.  It wasn't that annoying or anything, but I just have no idea why it would do that.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:05pm
saw someone at my hill realllly struggling with their contact pros, idk what the deal was, but they were sitting down every half an hour messing with them
Trevinpendry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Carpet boarding.

Quote Trevinpendry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:13pm
Daggum it, i wish it would get cold in NC so I could try out my Forces.
Romans 1:16 For I a m not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by BoxStomper

saw someone at my hill realllly struggling with their contact pros, idk what the deal was, but they were sitting down every half an hour messing with them
probably didn't have them adjusted right.  i rode mine all day today for opening day, and had been riding them all preseason, and never had one single issue whatsoever.  but i also have them adjusted right....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by spenser

probably didn't have them adjusted right.  i rode mine all day today for opening day, and had been riding them all preseason, and never had one single issue whatsoever.  but i also have them adjusted right....
ha. probaly. And wow, Unions havent been super popular at my hill, but for opening day, think I saw more Unions, especially Contact pros, than pretty much anything else. Kinda suprised me
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:38pm
they grew 78% this year from last year i believe (if i remember the exact number correctly), and the few years prior they were growing by about 50% give or take.  pretty much unheard of.  and the cool thing is, they are growing because of demand, not just producing more, and if you ask me their full demand is not even met, if you count everyone who wants them or tries to find them to buy.  they are killing it.. doing it right.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:42pm
thats crazy if that stats is correct. would love that growth as a ceo 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:47pm
im getting them in the spring, no doubt, people want on! haha
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 8:03pm
good luck getting a discount on unions. as spenser explained they pretty much sell out every year. theres no huge surplus of unions to really discount.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 7:28am

I'll admit... I watched the Union set up video.  I know, 10 years of boarding and I watched a newbie vid, but their set up was a bit different than other bindings I've used.
Nearly perfect, with that toe cap/strap issue I put up earlier.  
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 5:30pm
is there a way to cant forces? i want to try it, im thinking buying footbeds and make them canted or just make it so that i can take the cant out whenever i want with the original footbeds
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 5:52pm
you can slide something under the side of the accelerator.  i did it last year and it worked but then i decided i kinda like it without cants.  i just used binding ladders..

mxracer89 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mxracer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 5:53pm
I would go with the romes sick bindings
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 11:07pm
Spenser:  Thanks for displaying bits and pieces of those Team Bindings in each of your pics.  You're such a tease.  How are you enjoying the Atlas' compared to the Forces?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2011 at 11:17pm
haven't ridden them yet really, just the one pow run at night.  i think i'm going to ride them tomorrow though so we'll see.  might ride forces too if i ride the black death.
s2bing View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote s2bing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2011 at 7:18am

haven't ridden them yet really, just the one pow run at night.  i think i'm going to ride them tomorrow though so we'll see.  might ride forces too if i ride the black death.

I just paired a set of 2012 Forces with my Black Death and rode it last week - phenominal combo.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 4:30pm
Yeah ok which one should i go with. Should i get some forces or contact or contact pros. I ride all park and i havent had any expierence with less responsive bindings than rome s90 bindings. Would it be better if i were to get contacts for park for the less response. Im pretty sure it wouldnt make that much of a difference.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 4:46pm
it's all preference so only you can answer that.  the force is the most responsive and i would say it's a solid mid stiff binding, contact is the least and i would call it a mellow binding, not really "soft" just not super responsive, and the pro is in the middle of the two.  you pick.

pro is the 2nd lightest binding in the line, contact is pretty light but more basic, force is bombproof and the tank of the line.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 5:13am

it's all preference

pro is the 2nd lightest binding in the line, contact is pretty light but more basic, force is bombproof and the tank of the line.

I agree, my experience with Contacts a few years back "they were great for park but when I decided to ride the mountain I really did not like them. So I sold them and went with another pair of Force's"

But it is all up to the rider
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 12:24pm

it's all preference so only you can answer that.  the force is the most responsive and i would say it's a solid mid stiff binding, contact is the least and i would call it a mellow binding, not really "soft" just not super responsive, and the pro is in the middle of the two.  you pick.

Yeah i mught just go with the contact pros and see what happens. If i dont like them, than hey dont buy them again. No harm done.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 1:58pm
well all i'm saying is i definitely like a more responsive binding, but nothing crazy stiff.  i like edge to edge response but i like mobility to move side to side, like when you poke an ollie or tailgrab or whatever.  the force and contact pro both give that to me.  i've been riding forces for the last 4 years solid and have had them at times each year since union's second year in business.  anyway, rode all day long on the fish with contact pros and i always had the response i like, so...

don't get them confused for being like contacts. the baseplate in the pro is carbon injected so it's stiffer and lighter, and the stiffer padding around the binding definitely makes a difference.  the highback is rad too and the new ankle strap is tits.
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote itr43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:03pm

When you say the Force is the tank, does that mean it's heavy (weight wise) or just solid in construction?

winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:11pm
force is not heavy by any means, he means by solid construction 
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:14pm
Ehh forces are kinda heavy. Not to bad. And completely indestructible.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:15pm
so the contact pro is just in between the force and the Contact? in regards to stiffness and durability?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:15pm
both.  it's not HEAVY but it's one of the heaviest in their line if not the heaviest.  i'd call it a perfectly average binding by today's standards and i don't consider them heavy at all, the rest are just extra light.  contact pro is the second lightest after the MC if i remember correctly, and the MC is the lightest binding on the market at the moment.

all are constructed well too, i just mean the force is the beefiest binding, and their flagship binding for a reason.  it's a tank because it's not a crazy light binding and there's not as much coring out, it's just a solid, damp product.  again, not to say others aren't solid and damp, the force is just............ well i don't know what else to say
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:19pm
you guys are getting confused.  ALL their bindings are constructed well.  the tech is what changes the price.  the DLX and MC may be put together with the same quality in mind, but the MC tech is much more expensive hence the price tag.

the pro is between the force and contact as far as general responsiveness, but all of them are perfectly great as far as construction and durability.  again, tech is what makes the price difference in products.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:24pm
l think a more pressing matter is where the hell are the s/m bindings go?! 
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:30pm
I don't think they produce as many because less demand. I believe TruSnow didn't even stock them right? I may be wrong and to lazy to check...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 2:35pm
they produce the numbers they get from shop prebooks in january, after buying a certain amount of material the year before with which they build the bindings.  if no shops order s/m, none get made.  if they get orders for a total of 100 units, they make that.  any stock left is if a shop cancels, goes out of business, or something like that.  they are currently sold out last i knew.  if sierra doesn't have them by now then they may just not be getting them, but i personally have no idea if that's the actual case, there could be a reason they aren't up yet.

they did have some delays with other bindings like those with the atlas base, but i don't know about the bases that come in s/m like contacts.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 3:31pm
yeah l understand if they are sold out, then they are sold out. but is it even possible that every model sold out so fast? l find it hard to believe. i mean if they stocked less s/m because they thought demand wouldnt be there, they are dead wrong 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 3:39pm
most shops that have things really under control will base their orders on previous sales trends and numbers

union does sell out that fast.  they have been growing by around 50% for the past few years but from last year to this year they grew almost 80%.  at the same time, they fill their orders and don't get excessive.  orders are met, people get their bindings, and there is still a demand.  they know how to sell through everything and produce enough to satisfy in general, but keep the demand and not oversaturate.

basically all the shops that carry a brand send in their prebooks.  the company gets all those orders and fills those numbers, so if there's a total of 2000 forces in l/xl in black, they make that.  if there's a total of 2 s/m contacts, they'll make that.  so on and so forth.  once the bindings are made and get to union, they ship out to fill shop orders and that's it.  like i said, anything they have left over is from shops that cancelled orders or went out of business between prebook time in january and shipping in october, basically.

edit: i don't know how they feel about their growth being known, but at least it's a good thing.  i doubt i'm influencing their business besides getting more people stoked on union both online and in juneau/my shop.  they are the fastest/best selling binding we have ever carried.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 3:45pm
arg yeha l guess its my lost, even with my rant its not like its going to randomly come. next yr l guess 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>