The Official Union Bindings Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official Union Bindings Thread
    Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 4:03pm
you can also buy from other shops, you know..
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote itr43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by spenser

you guys are getting confused.  ALL their bindings are constructed well.  the tech is what changes the price.  the DLX and MC may be put together with the same quality in mind, but the MC tech is much more expensive hence the price tag.

the pro is between the force and contact as far as general responsiveness, but all of them are perfectly great as far as construction and durability.  again, tech is what makes the price difference in products.

Thanks.  That confirms my understanding of the Union bindings.  They didnt feel any heavier than the average binding.  But I twisted my knee and the lighter the better. 
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 9:30am

edit: i don't know how they feel about their growth being known, but at least it's a good thing.  i doubt i'm influencing their business besides getting more people stoked on union both online and in juneau/my shop.  they are the fastest/best selling binding we have ever carried.

It was actually because of your info on Union as a company, and their tech, that led me to by the Atlas this year.  So if your Union rep catches you and is po'ed, send him to me. :)

Only one day on the Atlases thus far, but man I'm stoked on them.  They are just made differently than other bindings.   Lack of adjustments? No biggie, because the bindings conform to your boot so much right out of the box.  Comfort? How about the lack of a baseplate, and the highbacks that flex right up to you, no matter how your boot is in them.  Weight?  Can't even feel them... a noticeable reduction from my Ride SPi.  Responsiveness? I rode on hardpack/ice in the am, and 4 inches of fluff in the pm... with zero forward lean adjustments needed.  The bindings quite literally conformed to the conditions and my style.

Thanks spenser, and I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with questions! 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JandJBlks2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 9:43am
yeah spenser knows his Unions! check this is out spenser, finally got this in!! I love how it glows in the dark!! so bi+chin'! haven't tried a run on it yet..but hopefully soon!

Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 12:42pm
Don't forget to rotate those highbacks, and give us a review once you've collected enough info to share about the bindings.
Long hair don't care!
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by JandJBlks2k

yeah spenser knows his Unions! check this is out spenser, finally got this in!! I love how it glows in the dark!! so bi+chin'! haven't tried a run on it yet..but hopefully soon!

hey can you take a picture of the bindings glowing. I really want to see them.
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 3:01pm
it will look like everything else that glows in the dark, a dim green glow.

Originally posted by JDiggidy

edit: i don't know how they feel about their growth being known, but at least it's a good thing.  i doubt i'm influencing their business besides getting more people stoked on union both online and in juneau/my shop.  they are the fastest/best selling binding we have ever carried.
It was actually because of your info on Union as a company, and their tech, that led me to by the Atlas this year.  So if your Union rep catches you and is po'ed, send him to me. :)

Thanks spenser, and I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with questions! 
stoked you're stoked on the binders, and feel free to ask any questions you have.. here to help

i haven't gotten to ride my atlas teams yet really.. one night time pow run but i won't count that.  may get on them this weekend though, probably will have a bunch more new snow and i wanna ride charlie
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Online Status: Online
  Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 3:05pm
i just got the 2012 union forces in the neon green and they are awesome! i rode them this past weekend and they are honestly the sickest bindings i have ever owned! They are so comfortable and they feel like nothing is even there. I will always make union bindings my first choice when i am looking to get new bindings. Has anyone rode the contacts? how are they?
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 4:04pm

atlas teams
pics!
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 6:03am
spenser's atlas team binders
LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 6:13am
Hey Spenser, 

Do you have any info on this year's SL's. I've been looking at them and am not sure what to think about them. Last year they were force sl's this year i'm not sure what its based off of or how different they are. Care to enlighten me about them. I was really interested in last year's force SL's but they sold out super quick, so was waiting for this year, but since they don't seem to be based off the forces, i'm not sure what to think. 
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 6:27am
There are force sl's and then there are sl's... 2 completely different bindings.  This years force sl's are the Purple Rain... 
http://www.trusnow.com/Union-Force-SL-Snowboard-Binding---Men's.asp

The SL have the stage 3 baseplate rather than the force baseplate the the Force SL's have..    
MOAR powderz plz!
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 8:52am
Originally posted by MTpow

There are force sl's and then there are sl's... 2 completely different bindings.  This years force sl's are the Purple Rain... 

The SL have the stage 3 baseplate rather than the force baseplate the the Force SL's have..    

Can you explain the stage 3 baseplate to me, i've been researching what that means in for a little bit and i still have no idea. 
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 8:52am
sorry double posted... 

Regardless, which union binding do you think would be best. I'm a all mountain rider but i like to go to the park every so often. If i'm in teh park i'm just hitting jumps and a few boxes. Want to get into rails eventually. I thought the SL's would be good for all that, b
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 11:06am

same binding model, but it was called the force SL up until this year, it was a stage 2 (force) baseplate that was cored out and injected with carbon instead of fiberglass and also had a different highback.  the binding just got an upgrade and since the base is not stage 2 anymore, they can't call it the force so now it's just the SL.  technically yeah those are two different bindings now just cause the 2012 has an upgrade, but it's like saying the cartel is no longer the cartel since they switched the highback or changed the baseplate or whatever.

the purple rains are just a limited binding, it's not an SL.  it's a force baseplate with the old SL highback though, yes.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 11:16am

same binding model, but it was called the force SL up until this year, it was a stage 2 (force) baseplate that was cored out and injected with carbon instead of fiberglass and also had a different highback.  the binding just got an upgrade and since the base is not stage 2 anymore, they can't call it the force so now it's just the SL.  technically yeah those are two different bindings now just cause the 2012 has an upgrade, but it's like saying the cartel is no longer the cartel since they switched the highback or changed the baseplate or whatever.

the purple rains are just a limited binding, it's not an SL.  it's a force baseplate with the old SL highback though, yes.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a noticeable weight difference with carbon injected baseplates?  I'm assuming not, but I've shot myself in the foot for assuming before.
Did you google it?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 11:31am
if you take the same exact base and compare fiberglass vs carbon injected, i'm not sure.  i mean yes, there is a weight difference, but i don't know how noticeable it is.  the thing that really makes them lighter is getting cored out.  there's a list of binding weights somewhere so you could compare contacts to contact pros or something... pros are lighter but i forget by how much, and both are quite light..
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 12:06pm

if you take the same exact base and compare fiberglass vs carbon injected, i'm not sure.  i mean yes, there is a weight difference, but i don't know how noticeable it is.  the thing that really makes them lighter is getting cored out.  there's a list of binding weights somewhere so you could compare contacts to contact pros or something... pros are lighter but i forget by how much, and both are quite light..

I'll go search for that...in any case...Force + Contact Pro highback = Awesome!
Did you google it?
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2011 at 6:18am
it sucks that this year's force doesn't glow in the dark

have force footbeds always been the same or do they change them every year?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2011 at 8:07am
Originally posted by yuhui

it sucks that this year's force doesn't glow in the dark

have force footbeds always been the same or do they change them every year?

yes, each yr it's a different design.  sometimes it's a different color.  sometimes it's there may be a "U" symbol on it.  Other models don't.  So, to answer your question, yes, they change every yr.

Just like the Contact Pro.  Last yr was the first yr.  Now they have two colors.  See, it changed.
Did you google it?
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:26pm
Anybody else have problems with the leather on the straps peeling. I have resorted to superglueing it when it peels after every day....sucks. Wanna get some contact pro straps. Forces arent that comfy
vinzo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vinzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:39pm
how are the new forces toe strap. I loved the forces but the old toe strap kept falling off it sucked
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:45pm
They you will most likely like the new one's better if you had problems with the old ones. I like the old ones better. Never had a problem with them. Are you sure you have them on right? that little black strip should be touching the boot (the top) not hanging off. Spenser has a pic somewhere in here on how to properly have it set up.
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by RideTimeless

yes, each yr it's a different design.  sometimes it's a different color.  sometimes it's there may be a "U" symbol on it.  Other models don't.  So, to answer your question, yes, they change every yr.

Just like the Contact Pro.  Last yr was the first yr.  Now they have two colors.  See, it changed.
... i meant if it changed in actual design, not just color or pattern
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 3:48pm
Anyone here have a take on the Flites they have? more or less responsive than the contacts/forces?
lotta talk about the others in the line. I'm curious about the Flites...just spend the extra $50 and go forces?
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:34pm
Flites are wayyy softer than forces and wayyy lighter. never ridden the flites so i can't say too much
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 9:43pm
i think "way softer" is an exaggeration, but they are definitely not the tank-like responsive bindings that forces are
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 8:22am
For sure not tank like the Forces. but I'm sure it'll survive if you're not hitting those huge jumps probably would if you were to anyway.
So how about a comparison with the contacts? The Flites that is.

bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 8:34am
if danny kass use the flite as his signature model base, i am sure it can take the hit. the contact might feel looser than the flite due to the extra paddings.
hmmm... Now What???   
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 10:03am
Originally posted by bataleon155

if danny kass use the flite as his signature model base, i am sure it can take the hit. the contact might feel looser than the flite due to the extra paddings.

Good point.  What do you mean by feel looser? wow when I typed that out my mind went straight to the gutter... I'm thinking the Flites will be more responsive than the contacts.
So in terms of responsiveness I would say. Force> Flite> Contacts
hence stiffer binding. (wow i'm on a roll)
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 12:10pm
Alright i think this might just be me but who doesnt like this years teams. I personally do not like them at all. I like last years teams a lot better. I hate this years highback. I loved last years one on the teams. But i mean give me some feedback and correct me if im wrong.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 12:43pm
you can't be wrong about what you like more or less than another thing.  i personally like both a lot.  forces were my go-to binding for years but i really, really like the new atlas base and the team highback.  the new ankle strap is a lot better too.

as far as how they ride, i guess all i can notice is that the atlas base is a little more padded.  response wise, they feel similar enough to me and i've ridden them on the same board to tell the difference.

i like the look of my new teams more, but the force teams are also rad.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 12:51pm

you can't be wrong about what you like more or less than another thing.  i personally like both a lot.  forces were my go-to binding for years but i really, really like the new atlas base and the team highback.  the new ankle strap is a lot better too.

as far as how they ride, i guess all i can notice is that the atlas base is a little more padded.  response wise, they feel similar enough to me and i've ridden them on the same board to tell the difference.

i like the look of my new teams more, but the force teams are also rad.
Hahah sick. So if the team forces had the same technology as this years forces but just the graphic change. Which would you like the most?

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 1:54pm
they are already the same thing as is

edit: unless you meant if team forces (2009 through 2011) and team atlases (2012) were the same tech-wise, and we're just comparing the look... i'd have to go with the team atlas still
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 7:43am

they are already the same thing as is

edit: unless you meant if team forces (2009 through 2011) and team atlases (2012) were the same tech-wise, and we're just comparing the look... i'd have to go with the team atlas still
Yeah thats exactly what i was asking. But did they make team forces this year or only team atlas?

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 11:04am
the team binding this year is basically the atlas.  team highback though, which as far as we know is just an atlas highback that's not cored out.

2009, 2010, and 2011, teams were forces
lij1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 11:17pm
picked up some atlas's becuz they looked sick. rode on this week and was just amazed
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 5:25am
i made wedges to cant the footbeds, they feel so natural now

ilovesnow9797 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ilovesnow9797 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 5:45am
Mmm, I want some of these sooooo bad.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 6:54am
What did you use to cant your forces yuhui? Is that a wooden shim?
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by chillman

What did you use to cant your forces yuhui? Is that a wooden shim?
i just drew a template and cut them with a band saw. then i sanded them with a circle sander (not sure if that's what it's called) to make them wedges
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 1:05pm
sweet care to scan your template so others (me) can use it
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 1:06pm
anyone got some black ladders and maybe the quick adjust for highbacks they wanna sell or trade for white ones?  L/XL?  want to do some franken lol
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2011 at 1:15pm

sweet care to scan your template so others (me) can use it
yea sure
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 1:18pm
Thanks man. I will have to do this in woods class Wink
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 1:23pm
i think i might try to make these at work out of plastic for my forces :)
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 3:09pm
Do it! Plastic would probably work better than wood anyway. Les see that template!
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 3:13pm
yeah i wanna see this template.  i think the plastic is good because it cant swell upbecause of snow and water.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 5:17pm
Hmm that is a good idea haha I'm sure i can steal some from the plastics lab.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 5:24pm

Hmm that is a good idea haha I'm sure i can steal some from the plastics lab.
Went to the local shop today just to check out some bindings. Im amazed at actually how lite the union contacts are compared to the forces and the contacts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>