Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Trevor7796 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noobs
    Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:05am
Isn't it just so annoying when there are a bunch of beginners and little kids on the terrain park? My mountain's park is always filled with little kids who just mess up the take offs. Who else has this at their mountain?
Proskier75 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:07am
Same thing happens to me all of the time. you need to let them learn though Trevor.
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:08am

Everyone's a noob at some point...

Try to dodge them or wait it out a bit till it clears
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:13am
I try to be curtious to everyone on the hill.. But i dont like when you are waiting for a jump.. And they cut in front of you or they look like they are going to hit the feature in front of you and then bail out haha
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:16am
Well...Since you are the elite rider in a park, why are there kids and beginners in the park you ride?
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:22am
Mmmmmmm... brains.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:45am
I know. Everyone should just be awesome from the start. F- learning!
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:45am
No, it's not really annoying to me.  If they are any good, then it is fun for me to watch what they can do.  If not, then it can also be fun watching them eat crap right?  You have to start somewhere...
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:50am
I just dont like when you get cut off or when the sit in the middle of a landing or something, i enjoy watching everyone either do well in the terrain park or fall in it
PICKLES View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nom, nom, nom.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:52am
Everyone was a kid and a beginner at some point.  Someone was patient with you some time and allowed you to progress.  Patience.
Weather, comply!
DicksmashMcIroncock View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:53am
I personally think every mountain should make you take a class before letting you ride the terrain park. I know Steven's pass makes you do this. You can then pay $10 and have a season pass to the park. I know I would be totally down for this at every resort I ride.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 6:54am
This answers my question, a pa park.

mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:01am
Originally posted by rzero

Well...Since you are the elite rider in a park, why are there kids and beginners in the park you ride?

LMAO!!...I dont care about noobs in the park...(because I'm a noob in the park).  

They just need to know these..
1) Learn to wait your turn before you drop in
2) If you crash or fall..and are not hurt...get up and don't just lay there!
3) Let people know "this is my first time"
4) Give people in front of you time to clear out
I just hate seeing kids go up to features w/o enuff speed and still try to make it up on a box...this usually happens w/ skiers.  I had a girl tell me the other day...wait a while before you go b/c I will probably be laying on the other side..thats cool.  Sometimes its like we forget we all had a first time..lol
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Sintexo

Mmmmmmm... brains.

BRAINS!!!

DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
http://thench.com/garage/
Furb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:19am
why's a beginner have to learn on shitty gear, how exactly does it affect them (or you)?
Trevor7796 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:20am
Thats what i'm talking about. Its okay if they try and then get up and out of the way, but its not right when they just sit on the landings, especially when you can't see the landings.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by mkee19

Is that how you get the highschool chicks?

Sometimes its like we forget we all had a first time..lol

What if I wasn't born a virgin?  Think about it.
knoelle11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:21am
My five year old loves to hit up the terrain park. He's not totally a noob, but just hasn't figured it out yet. He either doesn't get enough speed and has to walk off the top of the ramp - and yes, I ride behind him and fix the ramps and landings he damages - or he has too much speed, freaks out and then there's a yard sale at the bottom. Usually people are really nice and wait until he clears out or use the other features. As a parent of a kid who's learning, we appreciate it.

Everyone was a noob at some point in their skiing/riding careers. Just be patient and laugh when the noobs screw up. It'll make you feel better.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:24am
I don't care who you are, a 5 year old doesn't belong in the terrain park, if anything at least for their own safety.

I can definitely have a laugh at somebody screwing up, but it's not funny if/when they screw up and get in the way of somebody that's hauling a$s towards a jump.  A collision of the two will end up in a mess.  The terrain park is not a bunny hill.
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

Is that how you get the highschool chicks?

Yes it works everytime Big smile

Sometimes its like we forget we all had a first time..lol

Umm..err..dont know what to say bout that.....only leaves a few choices..if u had a twin sister or brother..eww...and the persons stomach u were in...eww to that also..lol.

I'm just saying...if people know you haven't been on a feature before..they know to expect a crash of some sort...and won't come balling right after you.

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:41am

I don't care who you are, a 5 year old doesn't belong in the terrain park, if anything at least for their own safety.

I can definitely have a laugh at somebody screwing up, but it's not funny if/when they screw up and get in the way of somebody that's hauling a$s towards a jump.  A collision of the two will end up in a mess.  The terrain park is not a bunny hill.

This.  I see so many parents take their kids through the terrain park who aren't ready at all nor do they know to look around before going on a feature and expect people to just stop.  I know you follow your kids, but you can't assume that just because you're standing near a feature waiting for your kid to get up that we can a. actually see your kid and b. that you even have a kid that you're waiting for.  

Just on Sunday a dad takes a small jump and his kid follows and has a yard sale.  The dad just stands there and tells his kid, go get your skis and we're done for the day since you're tired.  Dad doesn't even try to help his kid who is in the landing and just stands there while people coming can't see the kid in the landing and are taking the jumps thinking it's clear.  I'm surprised the kid wasn't hit at all. 
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:44am
Yah this annoys me so much because they always go up to the jump like they are going to go off of it wen they are next to u so u peal of cuz u dont want to hit them but then they just go off the side of everythin and u have to miss ur run because u were trying to be nice
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 7:45am
I hate seeing little kids in the terrain simply because I'm scared they are gonna fall on the landings and someone is gonna mow them down because they don't know they are there...freaks me out
whoanelly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 8:07am
I dont mind kids in the park if they know the rules. A two year old could do laps through the park skipping every feature and falling everywhere, but if they get up quickly, dont cut people off, and wait their turn to drop, I dont care. Its when they dont do this stuff that I get a little rattled. Especially when they come into the park and sit down right in front of me to strap in, while I'm standing there ready to drop.
Thats whats up.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 8:36am
I agree with some of the others who have posted above. Not trying to an ass, but if you're that good, stay in the expert park. There are kids all over the progression park because that's where they learn how to ride the features. I take my 6 year old in there all the time. When I want to lap the park without any kids getting I'm the way, I hit the intermediate park or the expert park. I know every mountain is different, but we all started as beginners at some point. Leave the little ones alone and go ride somewhere else. They're kids, let them be.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 8:44am
Maybe you should get out of the kiddy park and ride some "big boy" terrain on a legitimate mt and you wouldn't have to worry about "noobs on your box"....
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 8:50am
I used to be a noob when it came to boxes too....... but after much time and effort spent with different boxes, I think I have it down now. Even though, I tend to stick to 3 or 4 go to tricks, I just don't feel the need to expand/try new things I can always wow the crowd with the same moves over and over again.
started by flossers making floss for flossers
alphaod View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:05am
I just started riding the superpipe; I'm pretty sure I annoy the veterans who want to make their runs, but I don't really care. I need to learn somewhere.

Are you saying your dad had sex with your mom while she was pregnant with you and penetrated you inside at the same time? Tongue
-= alphaod =-
Current setups~
US: 12 Burton Vapor 159, 12 Burton Fishcuit 150, 12 Burton Diode EST
China: 13 Burton Custom X 158, 14 Cloudsplitter 158.3, 14 Burton Genesis EST
KainRoK View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Trevor7796

Isn't it just so annoying when there are a bunch of beginners and little kids on the terrain park? My mountain's park is always filled with little kids who just mess up the take offs. Who else has this at their mountain?

Its people like you that keep people away from terrain parks all together. Were you always good? No. You needed time and practice and the patience of people better than you just like the kids at your park need patience from you to get better. Its the way the world works.
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by skyfooze

Yah this annoys me so much because they always go up to the jump like they are going to go off of it wen they are next to u so u peal of cuz u dont want to hit them but then they just go off the side of everythin and u have to miss ur run because u were trying to be nice

Holy christ, try a comma or period once in a while!

Are you a heavy texter? LOL
knoelle11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:36am
[/QUOTE] I see so many parents take their kids through the terrain park who aren't ready at all nor do they know to look around before going on a feature and expect people to just stop. I know you follow your kids, but you can't assume that just because you're standing near a feature waiting for your kid to get up that we can a. actually see your kid and b. that you even have a kid that you're waiting for. [/QUOTE]

If you see someone standing in the landing area then please wait until they clear. It doesn't matter if you don't see my kid, if you can see me, then it would be prudent for you to wait. I don't understand why you would take off if this is the case.

Everyone, but especially those new to the park, fall, yard sale, have terrific crashes. If you see a noob trying a feature and you don't want to wait for them to clean themselves up afterward - do something different. Try a different jump, rail or box. Seems simple.

BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:41am
I don't think it's annoying for people who are new in the park to be there, not necessarily new to snowboarding. However, it's annoying to see people who can barely link turns (not even carving) try to hit a feature; or even worse, people who don't even know how to link turns hit features. I find that very annoying because they are just gonna hurt themselves and others.
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by knoelle11

If you see someone standing in the landing area then please wait until they clear. It doesn't matter if you don't see my kid, if you can see me, then it would be prudent for you to wait. I don't understand why you would take off if this is the case.

Everyone, but especially those new to the park, fall, yard sale, have terrific crashes. If you see a noob trying a feature and you don't want to wait for them to clean themselves up afterward - do something different. Try a different jump, rail or box. Seems simple.

Don't assume I do, I actually wait until the feature clears because I know of the dangers...I'm just telling you most people don't wait as what I saw with the kid on Sunday.  Of course we were all beginners and people have to start somewhere, but what I have an issue is with parents taking their kids through the terrain park when they are clearly not ready to handle the feature or the high amount of traffic coming through or not knowing when is an ok time to go for a feature and what not. 

Plus with how mt high is how am I and everyone else supposed to know you're not just standing there when a majority of ppl do?  I see people just chilling to the side of the feature all of the time.  Just know of the dangers when you take your kid through the terrain park because a lot of ppl don't wait and they bomb through and they honestly cannot see if your kid is in the landing area. 
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:47am

well are they at the more advance or the basic side? if they are on the basic side you can't really blame them for it.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by keljai

well are they at the more advance or the basic side? if they are on the basic side you can't really blame them for it.

Who gets blame if the kid gets hurt?

The other rider for not seeing the kid

or

The parent who didn't teach his kids the rules before taking them through the terrain park

I don't know, in some state, that's "child endangerment"
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:57am
Whether they're noobs or not, they should be more aware of their surroundings and the so called rules of the park and move outta the way if they fall instead of sitting there and having a nice cup of tea.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:58am
Exactly, if they are Noob enough to not know how to get up after a fall (with the exception of being really hurt), they shouldn't be in the park.
fiveflat View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:04am
I've personally seen a 4 year old (yes, FOUR) on a terrain park that would make a 20 something year old that's been riding for years look like a noob.  And I saw the same kid last year at age three, decent enough.  So age alone isn't enough reason to keep people out of the park.  Just sayin'

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by fiveflat

I've personally seen a 4 year old (yes, FOUR) on a terrain park that would make a 20 something year old that's been riding for years look like a noob.  And I saw the same kid last year at age three, decent enough.  So age alone isn't enough reason to keep people out of the park.  Just sayin'

You're missing the point here...I'm not saying all kids should stay out of the terrain park.  I have issues with parents who take them into the terrain park and using it as a bunny slope when their kid is not clearly ready for it and then getting mad when other riders come up to use the feature. 

I have seen kids who can rip in the park and have also seen kids learning how to ride in the landing area because their parents took them there.  That latter half is what I have issues with. 
knoelle11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:14am
I can't defend all parents in this case, but I will defend me and my kid. I know the park rules and so does my kid. My kid goes on a jump only after assessing whether it's his turn. I also try and let the folks around us know that he's going to drop. But he, like all of you, sometimes misses a jump. He crashes and burns. A lot. But, he gets up. I try to stand in the landing area so that those waiting to use the feature know he's still down there.

I'll say it again: pay attention to who is going down the features in front of you. If you see someone standing in the landing area give them a yell - something like "I'm dropping, can you move?" Then you can proceed or call ski patrol to help the injured rider. Communication with others is a good thing in a high-risk, high-traffic area.

More importantly, relax! We're all here to have a good time, the under six crowd and their parents included. The terrain park does not belong to you and you alone. Give beginners some space to learn.
DonkeyButt4Me View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:15am
I take my 6YO bro in the terrain park all the time.  He hits the easier boxes and the small jump line and usually has no issues.  He takes enough speed to get through them and though me may not be as styled out as some of you pros he holds his own.  It's the only way to learn.  And as someone said... if he does bail at the bottom of a landing... it is hard for someone calling next drop to see him... which would be the same if it were me who fell.

In the end it's up to the parents/guardians to kinda stick around and make sure they are okay and to of course teach them park etiquette.  Treating a park like a bunny hill is not right and not save, but neither is holding kids back from learning.
bcollins View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:17am
I have to agree that it basically comes down to skill level and etiquette, not age. I've seen just as many knucklehead teenagers, or adults, do the same thing you're describing. I have a 9 year old and he's not allowed in anything but the family park until he progresses. I also don't allow him in the park until after he works a majority of the day on the basics, like linking turns. Unfortunately, you can't force anyone, but your own kids, to follow these rules so you're stuck and in case you haven't realized, common sense isn't somthing that a majority of the people on the mountain have. The only thing you can do is progress to the park or features that even the people you describe won't touch because even the smallest amount of common sense is enough to tell them it isn't a good idea; otherwise, you just have to deal with it and not do anything stupid to try and make a point. You might even try educating them, you would be surprised how receptive some of these "noobs" are to constructive feedback.
knoelle11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by bcollins

You might even try educating them, you would be surprised how receptive some of these "noobs" are to constructive feedback.

+1. Instead of being upset about how all the kids are wiping out, why don't you offer some advice? Most noobs would love to hear some tips from those who are better than them. Critiquing someone else's riding or jumping might also help you become a better rider.
dn510 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:35am
boreal is best for beginners
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:40am
Originally posted by knoelle11

Originally posted by bcollins

You might even try educating them, you would be surprised how receptive some of these "noobs" are to constructive feedback.

+1. Instead of being upset about how all the kids are wiping out, why don't you offer some advice? Most noobs would love to hear some tips from those who are better than them. Critiquing someone else's riding or jumping might also help you become a better rider.

Yup.  Most of the time they're really nice about you giving them pointers.  One time though a dad just snapped back at me when I told him you shouldn't stand in front of a feature to film when there is all this space around he could be where it is safer.

He yelled back at me saying you can wait 5 seconds!  I'm filming...I was like geez.  Although I saw his kid come up to him and telling his dad...dad you shouldn't have been standing there. haha
jerry000 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:43am
hey man, i dont hate on noobs, people need to learn and we were all there one day..what i hate is when people cut me off on my way to a jump, or people that stop in literally the worst places on the mountain, thats terrible..or skiers that go far left then far right, taking up the whole trail and dont look, thats awful
daroberts3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 11:16am
A 15 year old who has been riding for two years is complaining about noobs!!?? Sounds to me like the pot calling the kettle black!
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 11:22am
The only thing i have a problem with is kids sitting/laying in the blind spots of jump landings.  it's really dangerous.
pgunnz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 11:30am
I have no problem with them as long as they know what they are doing and use some common sense
EvanCon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 11:32am
Don't worry about them, people need to learn too. If your so good, you shouldn't have a problem with the jumps. If it gets to bad just go earlier in the day and free ride the rest of the day when it gets bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>