Boot Fit Tips

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
flips712 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flips712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot Fit Tips
    Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 9:19pm
Kudos to an amazing write up. Nicely done and very objective writing about something that is so personal and different to each person. An awesome guide especially for noobs like myself....thank you!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 6:41pm
uh, kimchi, sounds like you're a boot fitter to me...or you're at least as good as any fitters I've talked to.

one thought:  Buy early in the season as possible!  Even the best boot fitters are basically employed to sell product, so, later in the season (when they start running out of inventory), they're going to make an effort to sell you what they do have....even if they know it's a cheap boot (happened to me). 

In this case, buy the most expensive boots that fit you properly (more $ usually means better features/tech) .  Don't buy cheap boots - you'll hate them all season and dump them before the next.  Do it right the first time!

If the available boots are suspiciously cheap, move on to another store....or do something else. 
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 7:04pm
i didnt know that they had "boot fitters". I do know that any sort of discomfort will be multiplied on the mountain, in the cold, after several hours of boarding. It's all about comfort regardless of price. Even if the cheapest boot fits me the best (though I doubt it) it's probably the one I'd get.
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 9:12am
great read, especially since i'm looking to get a new pair. thanks!
Gtone287 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gtone287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2012 at 8:11am
Thanks for this post considering the fact that I'm a new rider. This will help out a lot in the purchase of my first pair of boots!
KimmyDee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote KimmyDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 10:33am
This is great - been renting boots and really want to get my own. Those rental boots are brutal!
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 2:01pm
I'm glad this thread finally got the Sticky it deserves.Thumbs Up

While this next bit is more of an update for Kimchi, it may be useful for others wondering how helpful boot work can be...
The smashing & bruising of the tips of my middle toes seems to have been remedied by the adjustments the custom boot fitters out at Helm of Sun Valley in San Mateo did way back in Sept(http://www.helmsports.com/boot_fitting). I had ZERO issues w/ my toes during the first 2 days of the season I FINALLY got in a week or so ago.

The other trouble spots may need a bit more tweaking as I still felt some minor discomfort on the mounds. Plus, I felt VERY VERY slight pressure on the top of my foot. I'm riding again this wknd and hope to pinpoint any & all remainings problems before my next visit for more boot work.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
jon98gn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jon98gn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the tips. Definately the first part of my setup that I will buy before I commit to the rest of a setup.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 11:07am

This forum helped. Ive read reviews of the boots that i had bought which were nike zoom force 1's. I never had the chance to try them on in person so it was a riskbuying it. When they came my toes touched the end and i thought to my self wow wrong size. but they were heat moldeable so after that they fit perfect! I love this thread!

11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote soxfan47104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 7:37pm
This thread is great! helped me pick out my boots and i got the size just right
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 8:08pm
Maybe someone could touch on heel lift a bit? It seems every boot i try on my heel slips up, even when there is a correct size. Is this normal?
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 8:56pm
a little heel lift is normal. because not all ankles are the same. if you worry, you can always throw in some j-bars in there.
hmmm... Now What???   
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2012 at 2:23pm
ianbejamin,

Some brands handle heel lift better than others, but then as we all have different sized feet and ankles it's all about finding the best fit.

Ideally you want no heel lift, but a little is ok. In my case the Nitro Reverb TLS boots worked great with my heel, and I have zero lift. The liner is shaped in a way that it really grabs hold.

If you haven't already, try some Nitro boots.

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 5:46am
Originally posted by boardoholic

While this next bit is more of an update for Kimchi, it may be useful for others wondering how helpful boot work can be...
The smashing & bruising of the tips of my middle toes seems to have been remedied by the adjustments the custom boot fitters out at Helm of Sun Valley in San Mateo did way back in Sept(http://www.helmsports.com/boot_fitting). I had ZERO issues w/ my toes during the first 2 days of the season I FINALLY got in a week or so ago.

The other trouble spots may need a bit more tweaking as I still felt some minor discomfort on the mounds. Plus, I felt VERY VERY slight pressure on the top of my foot. I'm riding again this wknd and hope to pinpoint any & all remainings problems before my next visit for more boot work.
Glad to hear. I'm still on first couple days with my Imperials, so I may need to make a visit down to them.

Originally posted by ianbejamin

Maybe someone could touch on heel lift a bit? It seems every boot i try on my heel slips up, even when there is a correct size. Is this normal?
It's not ideal. I aim for as little heel lift as I can get. You probably have skinny ankles. The thing that helped me with heel lift was not only filling in the space around the ankles with j-bars / wraps of some kind, but also filling in the space in front of my shins. The less you can displace your legs in that place, the more efficient your energy transfer, and the less you put your heels in a position to slip in the first place.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ianbejamin

Originally posted by bataleon155

a little heel lift is normal. because not all ankles are the same. if you worry, you can always throw in some j-bars in there.

Originally posted by CLoSeR

Some brands handle heel lift better than others, but then as we all have different sized feet and ankles it's all about finding the best fit.

Ideally you want no heel lift, but a little is ok.

Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

It's not ideal. I aim for as little heel lift as I can get. You probably have skinny ankles. The thing that helped me with heel lift was not only filling in the space around the ankles with j-bars / wraps of some kind, but also filling in the space in front of my shins. The less you can displace your legs in that place, the more efficient your energy transfer, and the less you put your heels in a position to slip in the first place.

Though kimchi, CLoSeR & bataleon touched on it, kimchi's 3rd post at the start of the thread has all you need... and in great detail. Re-read that to see if it covers what you're looking for.Thumbs Up
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 5:10pm
ok cool. I'll definitely look into some nitro boots and keep trying on different boots. I know there's a right boot/woman out there for me!!!
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Originally posted by boardoholic

The smashing & bruising of the tips of my middle toes seems to have been remedied by the adjustments the custom boot fitters out at Helm of Sun Valley in San Mateo did way back in Sept (http://www.helmsports.com/boot_fitting). I had ZERO issues w/ my toes during the first 2 days of the season I FINALLY got in a week or so ago.

Glad to hear. I'm still on first couple days with my Imperials, so I may need to make a visit down to them.

Well, I didn't get to ride over the last couple days (I hope to shred on Wed), but I did find out that Sports Basement Walnut Creek has a couple guys in their ski/board dept. who've lived up in the mtns for some years. The employee I spoke w/ said that he & the other fitters are very knowledgeable and want to make our feet as happy as possible. They offer custom boot work @ $40/hr for boots not purchased there, but FREE w/ purchase of boots! They may be another resource for East Bay Area folks along w/ California Ski Co. in Berkeley. Since mentioning CalSki some months ago, I found out they also hook up us knuckle-draggers.LOL
Ryanpmajor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Ryanpmajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:15am
Awesome post. My burton motos should be coming and this was perfect to help me out!
B737 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote B737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2012 at 6:02pm
Toe pain and boots...

I've been riding my Vans for about 3 years, I do about 30-40 days a season. I like the boot, they broke in well. EXCEPT...
I seem to be developing a pinched nerve in my front (left) foot, Morton's Neuroma. Its especially nasty while on a long flat traverse where you're holding toe edge for extended time. I can make it go away by releasing the toe strap, and toe boa, and can clear it up while on the lift.

Morton's Neuroma is something that can get worse if left unchecked. mine seems to be increasing in frequency. I'm going to see a boot fitter and see if the toe box on my vans can be widened or material cut out of my inner liner near the toes.

hopefully I wont have to buy new boots but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction this takes...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

very informative thread, good info here
GoingPro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
First pic

Quote GoingPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 7:56am
if you wear a (slim) ankle brace at all, i would bring it to try on boots
daanbouman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote daanbouman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 5:22am
you should also try to buy the boots in the afternoon or evening, cause your feet are more swollen than in the morning, because you usually haven't walked that much by then.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 12:25pm
Does anyone have experience with Flow boots?  Specifically Flow Rift?
jdawg224 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jdawg224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 5:27pm
I stuck a sock into my heel area and it seems to fix the heel lift by eliminating the extra space.  Is this a good idea, or should I still by the more official products?
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 12:00am
O.O how big is the sock?
what kind of boots do you have?
im sure the company will send you jbars to help lock the heel down.
but if you can fit a sock in there, are you sure the boots are sized correctly?
Long hair don't care!
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 12:05am
Originally posted by jdawg224

I stuck a sock into my heel area and it seems to fix the heel lift by eliminating the extra space.  Is this a good idea, or should I still by the more official products?

dude, if you have enough space to stuff a sock in there... the boot is TOO BIG!
its time to go get boots that fit properly!
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
jdawg224 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jdawg224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Jigkidd

O.O how big is the sock?
what kind of boots do you have?
im sure the company will send you jbars to help lock the heel down.
but if you can fit a sock in there, are you sure the boots are sized correctly?

The sock is not that big.  It is one of those small socks that girls wear with ballet shoes, that doesn't go up past the ankle bone.  The way I put the sock in the boot is, I have half the sock that my heel is stepping on, and the other half is against my Achilles tendon.  Heel lift solved 100%  These are Forum League boots and they are really comfortable with the exception of the heel lift.  Also, after trying on multiple boots, I've come to a conclusion that the heel area of my feet is just smaller/skinnier than the average person's, so I am resorting to these DIY methods.
andy_d View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote andy_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 8:13am
Does anyone know of a good boot fitter in the Northeast preferrably closer to New York?

I actually had custom insoles done while I was in Steamboat in December but I'm not sure if it was done correctly. From what I understand, my feet are pretty atypical and have yet to find the right boots for me

B737 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote B737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 9:20am
Andy,
I used SureFoot, they are in Killington and they have a store in New York City as well.

I will say, that the foot beds they made for my snowboard boots 100% cured my nerve pain and toe numbing (mortons nueroma). I kicked myself for not going sooner...

andy_d View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote andy_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 2:40pm
Oh so they do snowboard boots as well? I noticed Surefoot at Whistler a few weeks ago but it looked like it was mostly a ski shop. I wanted to talk to someone with more snowboard boot experience
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 5:55pm
I was looking at insoles for my boots. Just regular ones from a sport shop should work
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 6:22pm
I use superfeet which they do offer a winter sport model line although I haven't seen any store carry those in stock.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I use superfeet which they do offer a winter sport model line although I haven't seen any store carry those in stock.
Are you talking about the winter greens? They stopped making those several years ago. They replaced them with the Red Hots.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2012 at 3:01am
This is a great boot fitting summary. I have some friends looking to buy gear for the first time. They will definitely benefit from your work. Great job. Thanks.
helmet143 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote helmet143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 12:22am
There are some boot fit tips-
1-Your boots should be snug!
2-Don't strangle your feet with too many socks!
3-Growth room is not a good option.
4-Your toes should be free to move, your midfoot should be comfortably supported, and the heel and ankle area should be securely supported with a very precise fit.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 3:48am
Originally posted by helmet143

There are some boot fit tips-
1-Your boots should be snug!
2-Don't strangle your feet with too many socks!
3-Growth room is not a good option.
4-Your toes should be free to move, your midfoot should be comfortably supported, and the heel and ankle area should be securely supported with a very precise fit.

Anything more than 1 pair of socks is too many.
CharlieZima View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CharlieZima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 4:09am
dont wear more than 1 socks!

i prefer my boots real snug (although i know some people prefer it loose), and i think dont worry if the boots kinda seems tight in the beginning, coz it will loosen up over time.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 5:53pm
I've heard of some people getting away with more than one pair of socks. Instead of using snow-sport specific socks, they use a thin polyester liner sock (typically used in hiking) and throw a normal thin wool sock or athletic wicking sock over that. But doubling down on your typical tube socks is a bad idea.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
steez_master17 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote steez_master17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2012 at 2:29pm
hey im 14 and about to buy the thirtytwo 86 fast track boot im a size nine in boots and was wondering what size boot to get because people are saying to get a bigger size because i will grow out of a size nine boot fast what do i do?
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by steez_master17

hey im 14 and about to buy the thirtytwo 86 fast track boot im a size nine in boots and was wondering what size boot to get because people are saying to get a bigger size because i will grow out of a size nine boot fast what do i do?
Either buy to the size you're at now, get used equipment, or rent until your feet are done growing. You're liable to hurt yourself if you're rolling around the mountain in boots that're a size too big. I would probably rent unless you ride a good bit (more than say 5-10 times a year).
ROLL ON, BISHES.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 1:48pm
i basically had that issue when playing hockey growing up.  i generally got skates that were 1/2-1 size bigger and put a thicker insole in them to make up some of the space until i grew into them.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by getkong

i basically had that issue when playing hockey growing up.  i generally got skates that were 1/2-1 size bigger and put a thicker insole in them to make up some of the space until i grew into them.
LIAR. Asians in California don't play hockey.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
steez_master17 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote steez_master17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2012 at 2:50pm
k thnx for the tip
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2012 at 12:52pm
wow, now i know what it's called.. narrowing pad. i got slim/narrow feet and it's pretty loose in the middle. Imma try that when snow season starts!
Boardingon22s View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Boardingon22s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 12:46pm
What an awesome post, now i will know exactly how to get a boot. ty
mho223 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mho223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 11:36am
Thanks guys for this post, definitely will look into this more when im getting my new boots for this year
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 4:57pm
I live in Ohio and the nearest snowboard shop is an hour and half away. So its kind of tough to go get fitted. And I want to buy boot here.

I wear size 9 shoes and my last forum boots were size 9. They fit fine but I had some heel rise because of some extra space in the heel.

Does anyone have experience with ThirtyTwo boots? Should I stick to size 9 or can I go to an 8.5?
whitejawz1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote whitejawz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 3:48am
wow thanks i did not know some of the stuff You Posted

Thanks
amottola View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote amottola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 6:57pm
If i am looking for a boots to use with a free style board, should i be looking for a boot with alot of flex? or do i just find any boot that fits the right way?
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 6:45pm
wow I got some new nike zoom force ones and this thing fits like a glove. It hugs my foot in all the right places and is super comfortable. My boot is an 8.5 and I usually wear 9 in shoes. 

A really cool feature about the fit is it has a heel harness that keeps my heel down. I had problems with heel lift with my last boot.
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by amottola

If i am looking for a boots to use with a free style board, should i be looking for a boot with alot of flex? or do i just find any boot that fits the right way?

It's all preference. But the majority of freestyle riders tend to go for boots with more flex.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>