Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 4>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot Fit Tips
    Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:00am

For the TL;DR crowd, just read the first bolded sentence in each paragraph and you'll get the gist of it.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a boot fitter.  These are gleaned from my experiences working a season in snowboarding retail and my own problems finding boots that fit the way I like.  I finally have a pair of boots that are 100% comfortable and ride exactly the way I like, but it took me a while and some modifications.  But I'm not a professional and if there are any trained boot fitters out there, I'd appreciate any input.

Intro Stuff

First thing's first: boots are the most important part of your set up.  They determine not only your comfort level, but also your ability to efficiently transfer weight into your board for everything on the mountain.  If your feet are hurting, you are not going have as much fun as you would otherwise.  If you are slipping out of your heels, you are at a much higher risk of hurting yourself.  Boots are that important.  Allocate your time and resources accordingly.

Try to find someone who knows what they're talking about.  Ideally you shouldn't have to read this and the shop kid at your local dealer should know better.  Unfortunately in my experience most don't unless you're at a ski shop catering to racers or you're in the mountains.  Ask what experience and training the person has with boot fitting, either formal or informal.

Blind yourself to price.  Don't skimp on boots because you bought a totally sick expensive board with color-coordinated bindings.  At the same time, don't buy the expensive boot if the cheaper boot fits better.  If you ride more than say 10 times a season I would stay around or over the $200 MSRP pricepoint, but try not to pay too much attention to it.

Best time to fit is going to be in the late afternoon or evening.  Maybe earlier if you've gone through some exercise that day.  Your feet will swell up from impact, blood pooling, and higher elevation while snowboarding, so you don't want to try on boots first thing in the morning.

Get measured by someone who knows what they're doing.  A very common thing among snowboarders is to buy their first pair of boots too big.  In general people wear their street kicks half a size to a full size larger than what they measure out at, but they don't know any better because they haven't gotten measured since they were kids.  Take note of not just length, but also width and maybe arch length depending on your foot.

Measure both feet.  One foot is almost always bigger than the other.  I find it's generally the left, but not always.  For most it's a relatively small difference (maybe a quarter size) but I've seen as much as a full size (which really sucks for those people).  In general people size to the big foot, but I have heard some people say they size to the small foot because you can have a boot fitter manipulate custom footbeds to correct the issue.  I would say MOST people reading this thread should size to the big foot.  Keep that in mind if a shop kid has you try a different boot on each foot.

Allocate a ton of time to buying boots.  I kind of know what fits my foot from different companies and I still probably try on 10-15 boots a year searching for that elusive perfect fit.  A blank slate snowboarder should spend at LEAST several hours trying on boots.  Even if you measure out at a certain size, fit changes from company to company and even model to model.  I range anywhere from a 10 to an 11 (even the rare 11.5) depending on the company and the boot.

Wear your snowboarding sock while trying on boots.  Don't use cotton socks (they retain moisture).  Don't double up on wool socks (this creates potential for pressure points).  You don't necessarily NEED snowboard socks, but use a tight athletic sock of some sort that will wick moisture and has flat seams so you're not getting chafed. I personally like lightweight smartwools.  I wouldn't go  over a midweight, boots are pretty well insulated these days and heavier weights will pool more sweat and slip more in my experience.

Check if boot fit is guaranteed.  Most places won't refund used boots, but a lot will guarantee boot fit and give you a credit for what you paid for a new pair of boots.  Try to shop at a place with a guaranteed boot fit.  It gives you a security blanket and gives the shop kid a strong incentive to find you the best fit possible and not just throw you into whatever's available.

Don't buy a particular boot because of a particular lacing system or brand.  Your priorities should be fit >>> flex >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lacing system and other features > brand.  I know there are people out there who HAVE to have a BOA or speed lace system or have to have the shiniest new techy boot, but don't let that blind you if the fit isn't ideal.  If you're having so much trouble effectively tying shoe laces to the point that a twisty knob becomes your primary requirement in boot buying... I don't know what to say to you.

Get an insole.  Some of the companies have decent insoles on higher end boots, but most are crap that provide no support.  Drop $30-50 on an insole, your feet will thank you.  Most even have satisfaction guaranteed policies ranging from 30 days to 90 days, so you risk nothing except maybe a few bucks for shipping if you don't like them.  Do note these can change boot fit slightly due to changes in volume from the stock insole and how they bring your foot back deeper into the heel pocket. 

Options for insoles:

http://www.superfeet.com

http://www.shredsole.com

http://www.remindinsoles.com

http://www.aline.com

http://www.yoursole.com

Don't be a douche.  Don't waste a shop kid's time for a couple hours and then go home and buy the boot online.  Seriously.  It sucks for the shop kid because just about all of them work on commission and they are missing out on other sales catering to you, and it sucks for the shop because they're losing business despite providing you with valuable service.  Eventually it reaches a point where you don't have those shops around any more to try on boots and then you're screwed.  With lower manufacturing, lower inventory, and more stringent pricing controls instituted this year, you're not going to save that much money shopping online anyway.  Pay the sales tax and consider it a tip for service.  At least buy something or tip your sales kid.

ROLL ON, BISHES.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:00am

Fit

Make sure your heel is settled all the way back.  I generally kick my heel back into the ground a couple times to make sure I'm all the way back.  You'd be surprised at how much difference that can make.

The boot should fit snug everywhere, but comfortable.  You don't want to hurt, but the tighter the fit is, the less play you have and the more control you have on the mountain. Problems with having your boots too big: wasted money; loss of control on mountain; bruised and blackened toenails from "toe bang," banging the front of the boot when turning due to excess space; footpain from excessive muscle fatigue.  The list goes on.

Your boots will "pack out."  Meaning through use you will get more room because the liner will break in to your foot and compress.  You're aiming for a good fit after they pack out, not necessariy in the store.  Generally I'd say you get quarter to half a size, but I've heard of much more than that.  This is a hard variable to account for because you never know.  I've had boots that packed out to crap after 5 days and boots that packed out way less than I anticipated after 30 days.  Ask the guy fitting you if he's heard anything or ask around, certain models do it more than others.  One thing to perhaps try is a shell test, a tip I picked up from some skier friends.  Pull the liner out of the boot, stick your foot in there and get up to the front.  See how many fingers you can get in behind the heel (on top of each other, not side by side).  1-2 is around what you're looking for.  The less space you have, the less shell volume you even have for the liner to compress into.  However, some bootfitters tell me that this is less helpful for snowboard boots than ski boots since snowboard shells break in and throw things off a bit compared to rigid ski shells.

General rule of thumb for length: toes should have some pressure up on the front of the boot and draw back off or just grazing when you flex forward.  Don't freak out if you can feel the front of the boot.  You're supposed to.  Generally you shouldn't have curling (unless you ride a lot and like an aggressive fit), your toes should be flat but pressing against the front.

Watch the width.  Don't go up in length to accommodate width, find a boot that's wide enough.  Boot companies have different general widths in their lasts.  It can be a problem since the widest point of your foot might be outside your pinky toe or it might be more in the mid-foot.  Helpful thing might be to pull out the insole, throw it on the ground, and step on it.  If you're hanging over a lot over the side (say more than a 1/4"), probably want to look at a different model. 

Watch the volume around the foot.  A little room over the toes isn't too bad, but if the roominess continues up over the instep, that's no bueno.  Excess volume around the heel/ankle area is especially troublesome.

Watch the volume around the shin/calf area.  This is overlooked IMO.  Make sure it's tight but not uncomfortable like everywhere else.  My current pair of boots were too big in the shin area unless I cranked the upper lacing, so I had to throw some after-market foam in there to fill out space.  I have noticeably better response and less lift with that area filled out better.

Watch the heel hold.  Heel lift is a snowboarder's worst nightmare and can be attributable to any of the above factors.  Try to lift your heel upward, both standing straight up and flexing forward in an athletic position.  It's easier if you have someone grab the back of the boot.  I've heard a couple guys say heel lift doesn't matter if you don't get any while standing straight, because you ride with knees bent... I think that's crap.  This is true if you're just cruising around.  But if you're ollieing or buttering or doing anything else that doesn't require constant knee flexing, heel lift of any kind SUCKS.  Aim for a 1/4" or less, ideally none.

While immobilizing the shell, try to move your foot around in as many directions as possible and see how much play you have in the above directions.  Try to not just lift your heel, but try to pivot your foot around inside the boot, roll it from side to side, twist it while lifting, etc.  You want as little play as possible in all directions.

You shouldn't have to CRANK the laces to keep your foot immobilized.  If you have to, you're likely going to be cutting off circulation on the hill and that blows.  Take the slack out and go a bit past that but you shouldn't have to pull all your strength into it.

If a boot feels good after you lace it up, keep it on for a bit.  Boots may superficially seem great and then you may get a hot spot after 15-20 minutes or so.  Some of these will break in, some won't.  Talk to the shop kid and use your best judgment.

Heat mold can help break in some hot spots, but it's not a cure-all.  Heat molding is a process of heating up the inner boot liner so it becomes softer and conforms to your foot better.  I'm not going to write about the process extensively, any decent shop should be able to guide you through it.  You can heat mold your liners to adapt a bit to your foot. However, I've had shop kids try to sell me on heat molding as being able to punch out all uncomfortable spots in a boot… that's nonsense.  Sometimes it is true, but heat molding only does so much.  It's more like accelerating the break in process.  If there's a minor issue with a boot, you might be ok.  But if it's a poor fit, then it's a poor fit.

After you buy a boot, wear it around the house a bit.  Even after trying boots on in store, you want to wear it around as much as possible.  There are two reasons for this: first to break in the boot (every little bit helps).  Second, to give yourself as much confidence as possible that you got the right boot.  Some people have said try sleeping in boots and if they hurt, get rid of them.  I think that's crap, my boots fit great but if I lie down in them fully tightened with my feet laid  out, my feet fall asleep.  Just wear them around and be cognizant of potential trouble spots.

Boots take time to break in.  Don't judge boots immediately if they hurt your first day out. They take time to break in.  Typically the stiffer they are the longer they take.  I'd say mine are generally broken in after 5-10 days.  If you don't ride at least 20 days a year, I would recommend heat molding.

ROLL ON, BISHES.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:01am

After-market Boot Fitting

Don't give up immediately if it doesn't work on the mountain.  If you feel like your fit is only slight off after pack out, there are things you can do to fill out a boot.  Spending a few bucks on these solutions might be better than dropping a few bills on new boots if you only need subtle changes.

You can DYI, but see a boot fitter if you can.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the intro there are not a whole lot of shop kids who know what they're doing in snowboarding.  This is especially true when it comes to aftermarket stuff, unless you're lucky enough to live in a place like Tahoe.  Occasionally you'll be lucky enough to find someone who does it from a snowboarding perspective, but generally I recommend checking up on ski shops that cater to racers, they are usually better trained when it comes to stuff like this in my experience. Check http://tognar.com/boot_tips_fitting_repair_ski_snowboard.html  andhttp://www.alpinecarving.com/bootfitting.html for some more in-depth, technical boot fitting tips.  They're more from a skiing/hard booting perspective, but there's stuff that carries over.

Full insole heel shims can help with volume problems.  My current boots were a little too voluminous for me because the stock insole is thicker than my insoles.   Bontex produces flat insole shims to fill up a bit of space.  I believe they're made of fiberglass.  They're available in 1/16" and 1/8" thicknesses (at least from tognar).  I've seen conflicting information about whether to put them directly under your insole or put them under your boot liner.  I've tried both, I noticed under the liner feels more "natural" whereas under the insole makes my boots feel stiffer underfoot.  It's very subtle though.  I'd guess it's a preference thing but maybe there's something that makes one clearly superior to the other.

Available at http://tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_ski_snowboard.html .

I took some photos from http://www.svst.com/svst1.aspx?Category=ff167d2c-b517-4ab7-b5ae-1ab7f5355299. Those look great, but it looks like they don't do direct sales.

Adhesive foam can help fill out space.  Burton has their J-bars, but just because you don't have that system doesn't mean you're doomed.  Sticky-backed foam pieces can be attached in a number of different arrangements to fill out some space in the boot.  These ones are available at Tognar here http://tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_ski_snowboard.html.

You can have L-pads.  Something similar available at http://www.stopheellift.com/ .

C-pads.

Ankle wraps.

Narrowing pads.

I've seen other versions of these and used something called a "butterfly wrap' which was like the ankle wrap, but also had a smaller protruding area up top as well as on the bottom.  Ask your boot fitter what they have available, or pick it up off Tognar.  Tognar also sells general boot fitting foam sheets which you can cut into whatever shape fits your needs.

Something similar that I picked up for my current boots is foam to fill out space in the tongue to protect against too much shin space.  Tognar sells something called the"Eliminator" which attaches with velcro and fills the space out.  It also extends a little bit into the instep, so beware if you don't need it to fill out that space (maybe cut it?).  It's worked out pretty sweet for me.  I would say beware the sizing.  I ended up with a small, which is supposedly only for up to men's 8.5.  I'm 10.5 and it worked out great.  Tognar also sells "tongue pads", which I think are similar but not as extensive.

You can use rubber wedges to work out fit issues.  There are heel lifts and heel wedges. Heel wedges lift the back inside of your foot and are apparently like poor man's insoles. Heel lifts raise your heels and are designed to eliminate heel lift and get you on your toes more.  I personally don't like them because I feel they throw off my center of gravity, but they're out there.

Heel wedges.

Boot Fitting Heel Wedge (pair)

Heel lifts.

You can also shave liner foam with tools if you are getting a persistent hot spot.  I have no experience with any of this so try it at your own risk.  I've heard of people using a dremel tool or razor to shave away some liner foam where they have a bit too much pressure on a particular spot.  Google it if you're curious.

Finally, learn when to admit defeat.  Boot fitting can help when there's a slight problem but there's only so much it can do.  If you're more than half a size off, you're probably SOL and better off buying new boots.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

ROLL ON, BISHES.
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:13am
wow great post dude. thanks for the time to writing this up
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:20am
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:22am
thanks kim for the great guide. hats off to you
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 8:24am
Holy gaucamole that is an intense guide, good work!

Hopefully this can reduce the amount of boot threads.
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jjfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 9:22am
This is awesome....thanks for the info dude
I wish I saw this 2 weeks ago before I ordered my boots online....
I woulda gotten a half size smaller....
But I guess I can fix the problems with the adhesive foams
bhswrestler150 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bhswrestler150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 9:41am
Def needs a sticky, wish I woulda known about boots packing out. I got wicked lucky and found a great first pair but they packed out after about 6 times out and now im getting a bit of heel lift. gonna try some of those foam pad things,

Do they go in the boot or in the boot liner?
Furb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Furb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 9:49am
great post

this forum reeeeeally needs some sort of rep system IMO
Biggspeed View Drop Down
Local
Local
JMB

Quote Biggspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 9:57am
Wow, very imformative! Thank you! Thumbs Up
“For me, music and life are all about style.” - Miles Davis
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 10:09am

I can summarize much quicker....invest in fitted inserts.

Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by carebear

I can summarize much quicker....invest in fitted inserts.

"Fitted inserts" (I assume you're talking about custom insoles) are not a panacea.  There's also VERY dependent upon finding an experience, reputable boot fitter to make them for you.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mkee19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 12:11pm
This is a good post.  I had been using my friends old boots for almost this whole season..they fit my foot..thats about it.  I went into my local shop for boots..and I had just rode with the guy the day before.  He talked about how important it is to have good fitting boots...and helped me find a good fitting boot and eliminated the heel lift I was having.  I didn't know about any of that..I just thought as long is its comfortable and feels good then thats all I need.  
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 12:25pm
I was pretty eager to check out the shredsoles, but I'm a bit hesitant after reading that canting within your boot could cause leg misalignment issues.  It seems to make more sense to cant outside the boot so your entire lower legs are affected, rather than just your feet.

The Snowboard Addiction peeps heavily recommend getting custom insoles made.  I'm looking into possibly getting a set of Superfeet Kork custom insoles; hopefully they'll help protect my crappy knees.

determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 1:08pm
Is that you ippolite? How the shtook you hack into kimchijajonshim account? Now you are trying to pose as him and writing your multiple essay type posts. This is just wrong ippolite.Thumbs Down

Great write up man.Thumbs Up We need more pins of more useful stuff.

Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Marumm

I was pretty eager to check out the shredsoles, but I'm a bit hesitant after reading that canting within your boot could cause leg misalignment issues.  It seems to make more sense to cant outside the boot so your entire lower legs are affected, rather than just your feet.

The Snowboard Addiction peeps heavily recommend getting custom insoles made.  I'm looking into possibly getting a set of Superfeet Kork custom insoles; hopefully they'll help protect my crappy knees.

I have Korks.  I like them, but if I were to do it again I would go with something a little softer underfoot.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 2:16pm
wow really good read.  ive been having some boot trouble too.
dance like no one's watching
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

I have Korks.  I like them, but if I were to do it again I would go with something a little softer underfoot.

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up.  Superfeet has another model called the Kork Vac that is supposed to be a bit softer, thanks to replacing the kork topsheet with a dense foam.  It's also a little bit cheaper.

EDIT: I stopped by a well-regarded boot fitter to ask about these, and he didn't recommend them for snowboarders; he said that the relatively soft snowboard boots (compared to ski boots) tend to flex them too much and eventually cause the two kork components to separate.  He actually recommended the green Superfeet, and for no charge trimmed them down to size, made some arch adjustments, and beveled the edges for me.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 11:05pm
i just got superfeet blue.  hoping theyll make a difference in terms of fit and comfort
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Marumm

Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up.  Superfeet has another model called the Kork Vac that is supposed to be a bit softer, thanks to replacing the kork topsheet with a dense foam.  It's also a little bit cheaper.
Excuse me, I have Kork Vacs.  I would go with something a bit softer in the arch as well and also a bit lower profile.  Just a personal preference thing.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
teuhsb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote teuhsb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 5:18am
Thanks for this post. I'm having problems with my current boots and reading this helps me figure out where I went wrong.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 5:38am
l want to know, for regular lace. for me at least they always come loose. whats the best way to get them to not tighten up/ keeps tight
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 6:12am
Originally posted by keljai

l want to know, for regular lace. for me at least they always come loose. whats the best way to get them to not tighten up/ keeps tight
A.) Learn to punctuate properly plz.

B.)
ROLL ON, BISHES.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 6:37am
how tight are you tying your shoes? make sure you tighten every part, included the laces above the top of your foot. every little bit of slack will move to be spread out across you boot, causing it to feel loose.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 9:24am
thank you for doing tis. good fitting boots are wayy too important. seen lots of people complaining or asking bout how boots should fit lately. plz sticky tis, and also, can you guys sticky a wax and tune thread too. there's been a lot of wax and/or tune thread lately.
samolo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote samolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 1:20pm
Great guide!
especially just when i wanted to go get some boots.
Thanks kimchi :)
+1 for sticky!

PS: im craving some kimchi chigue..
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:24pm
Kimchi, you da man!

I recall reading your various musings... err... I mean frustrations LOL... on finding the close-to-perfect fit for yourself. If I recall, you've got some mid-wide feet w/ one of them slightly longer (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 size) than the other. Almost a carbon copy of my feet. Tongue

Finally, can we sticky this already?!?
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by boardoholic

Kimchi, you da man!

I recall reading your various musings... err... I mean frustrations LOL... on finding the close-to-perfect fit for yourself. If I recall, you've got some mid-wide feet w/ one of them slightly longer (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 size) than the other. Almost a carbon copy of my feet. Tongue

Finally, can we sticky this already?!?
Not quite.  I'm definitely not a mid-wide.  I have just-short-of-stupid-wide feet (a hair narrower than 3E on the left, 2E on the right).  To make that problem worse I have pretty narrow heels and ankles.  My left foot is about a quarter size smaller than my right though.  Finding my perfect fit was pretty maddening, since for all the stuff I wrote about, you don't really know how something is going to work out until you put it to snow for 5-10 days.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 8:26am
man, im back here trying to look for solutions...ahh they need better shops around for everyone
bballboi948 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bballboi948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 8:51am
awesome post, i just bought some new boots on craigs...=/ not too confident about them now... they fit pretty well though
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 9:19pm
anyone wanna pick up 2011 burton hails size 8 from me?
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 7:32pm
Bump.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
RoseBud View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW kickin my butt

Quote RoseBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 7:53pm
Nice video, I like the lacing trick I will have to give it a try! 
Like everything else in snowboarding, it's all preference!
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 8:49pm
weird, my boots fit better with the stock insoles than with the superfeet. 

anyone know a reason as to why?
melikman29 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote melikman29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 9:07pm
I fear I got myself some boots that are slightly too big. really wish I had taken boots more seriously my first time through...
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by BboyTommy

weird, my boots fit better with the stock insoles than with the superfeet. 

anyone know a reason as to why?

Insoles improve support and performance generally.  But like I said in the OP, they can change fit a bit and not necessarily for the better.  That's whether you're talking about aftermarket pre-fabs like superfeet or the custom stuff.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 8:23am
^ i gotcha.  i guess i can return my superfeet n get back my 35$.  they were good while they worked for me
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Quote BunnySloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 9:28am
Great tips!

My Vans Cirro fits great but I still have some heellift.
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 9:37pm
This thread should really be stickied to the top with Ippolite's snowboard buying guide.
I wish I would've known these things the first time I was buying boots.
Most people just getting into snowboarding overlook this, at least I know I did.
Well done on this guide!Clap

Long hair don't care!
bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Jigkidd

This thread should really be stickied to the top with Ippolite's snowboard buying guide.
I wish I would've known these things the first time I was buying boots.
Most people just getting into snowboarding overlook this, at least I know I did.
Well done on this guide!Clap

I second this. My first pair of boots were literally like 2 sizes too big. I gave them to my brother.
DangerMoose View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DangerMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 4:00pm
Thanks for this way cool post.   I had a bruise on my ankle after my first day out this season, riding the same Ruler/Cartel combo that I had all last season.

Went to my local shop, where they heat molded and helped me fit the boots I bought online (great guys). Rode the same boots again, still not feeling right (not sure why I didn't have this problem last year). Long story, shorter, I went back to my local shop and tried on a whole bunch of stuff.

Just switched to Thirtytwo Focus Boas.

I thought I loved my Burton Rulers...

All feet are different, but these Thirtytwos are something close to perfect (for me) right now. With any luck, I'll get another day out tomorrow o them.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 6:21pm
wow this is ridiculously helpful. i got real lucky buying my first pair of boots cus they just happened to fit perfect, even after 4 seasons. then i upgraded and bought a pair that was 3 times more expensive. i THOUGHT it fit well when i tried it on, but when i actually rode in it i felt a lot of the same issues that u described with a boot where the cushions compress in too much
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 5:51am
Le bump.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 8:08am
Bump for the upcoming season.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 8:40am
is this still not stickied? it should be. the only thing left after this is a binding guide. i haven't seen one on the forum yet. am i just missing it?
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 10:08am

Much mahalos for the timely bump, Kimchi. While good for northern hemisphere peeps w/ the 2012 gear recently released & still spilling onto the scene, 'tis also muy bueno for the southern hemisphere folks grabbing closeouts near them. Thumbs Up

I'm on the hunt again this season. My mid-season pick-up last year unfortunately did not work out like I'd hoped. Cry

I'm so excited (Ermm) to do the dance again. Wish me luck!

Btw, another awesome thread w/ muy mucho helpful tips is the one Ride Timeless threw together: http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43217. This boot fit thread is at the top of his list. Kudos to you both! Clap
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 11:51am
Yes, the dance does suck.  I had one set of boots that fit me HEAVENLY (2009 Forum Verdicts) and of course I had to warranty them and Forum promptly stopped making them, so I never got a replacement.  I'm hopeful for the Imperials, Burtons have generally fit me pretty well.

We should ride sometime this season, I'll be back in the Bay Area come December although I won't have time to consistently ride until late-February after the bar.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
powhound View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote powhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 12:07pm
Holy hell this is an amazing rundown of all aspects of boots. Thank you so much OP for taking the time to do this. Pretty much changes my mind on boots, think a fitting is in store for me this season. Everyone should see this thread.
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2011 at 6:28am

super informative     Thanks for the effort 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>