Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ncc719 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riding Very Small Boards
    Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 2:25pm
Alright, so I have been riding for about 8 years and riding park seriously for 5 years now. I have been riding the Ride Kink 152 and absolutely loved it for jibbing. Im 5'8 150-155 lbs. Now this part is probably going to sound crazy but I just bought a 144 Capita Stairmaster and took it up a couple times to Keystone to ride it. It feels awesome even though its a ridiculously small board. It has tons of feel, still has a lot of pop and its super buttery by nature and also because its tiny. I took it off a couple smaller jumps and it handles fine (its probably not as stable as it should be for larger jumps, but for 30ft and under it seems good and and has awesome spinablity.

I have also taken it around the mountain and it seems to ride a lot better than my 152 kink on the groomers as well.I just couldn't understand how this small of a board could offer a better ride than an appropriate sized board.

Do any of you ride very small boards, and how does your board hold up throughout the season? Im just trying to see if there are any fellow riders out there who ride these kind of boards and I want to hear some comments about it.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 2:28pm
smaller= lighter, easier to manuver BUT at the same time it wont handle high speed or pow as good for you. thats the only draw back
chriskot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 6:53pm
Yeah I've strapped into my girlfriend's board before and it's fun to whip it around
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 8:25pm
I rode a 158 Burton Custom for a while, and I'm about 6'3" 210lbs or so. I liked it, but the most I ride, the less I felt it fit a niche in my arsenal. I got rid of it for a 160w Sierra Crew, which fits me better.
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:06am
I try getting the shortest board i can get my feet onto.
Unfortunately with size 12s there really aren't alot of options.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:09am
A 144 is insanely small, but hey, if it feels good than do it.  I would be very interested to see how you feel after hitting some big kickers though.
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:13am
i rode a 139 vavavoom for a while, sidewalls were cut so it rides like a 143....pretty fun for rails...not so fun for kickers
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:18am
real men ride the "largest" boards they can get on...but, seriously, although ridiculously small, ride what you like, especially for park. I took out my wife's 150, and had a blast, until it started to delam(I'm 6'4" 200lbs)...and that is the question, wear and tear, riding "under-sized" boards can lead to some issues with durability. but hey, how long do we keep boards now-a-days anyways...
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:41am

Short boards would definitely be fun for a park board but won't be as fun for riding high speeds.

I went a bit shorter than my recommended size as well to ride park but didnt go crazy short cause I ride ont he mountain as well.
Got me a 158 and I'm 5'10 210 LBS and I'm loving it!
packfan4ever View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 11:27am
yea i got my 152 capita midlife and sometimes i mess around on my 145 burton clash just for fun. it presses super well cause its so small and i can beat it up on rails and boxes and not worry cause its not my main board
ncc719 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:24pm
Wow, thanks for the replies. I havent done the whole forum thing before so please excuse any forum etiquette problems i may encounter haha.

Seems like I am not alone in riding such a small board. The funny thing is that the 144 capita stairmaster happens to be pink, (hot pink base and baby pink designs on the top sheet) so everyone is looking at me like im riding my gf's board which leads to some funny explanations.

I see that a lot of you are saying they are good for jibs which is consistent with what i have experienced so far. It lock onto rails perfect. The narrower maximum stance has also shown me how easy it is to press this thing out. Lets just say that my overall riding style has become much better on this board.

I should be back on the hill tomorrow so I am going to take it off the 35-45ft jumps and see how it works out. So far the only issue i have experienced with larger jumps is when coming out of a spin bigger than a 3, i normally land a little back foot heavy. With such a small board i tend to wash out a lot when i should be landing. Strait airs arnt really an issue considering i land normal. Im going to take it off the bigger ones and see how that works out.

This is also going to sound pretty crazy but.. we just got a bunch of new pow so i will be temped on just taking a couple powder runs with it. I know im going to use this board for a regular powder board, but I am curious about how it will hold up in the event I do decide to shred some pow. Ill just have to prepare myself for a very sore leg from having to manual the dam thing.

Thanks again for the replies, it gives me a lot more confidence taking the "gf's" board out and whipping it around the mtn knowing im not the only one doing so.
ncc719 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by ncc719

Wow, thanks for the replies. I havent done the whole forum thing before so please excuse any forum etiquette problems i may encounter haha.

Seems like I am not alone in riding such a small board. The funny thing is that the 144 capita stairmaster happens to be pink, (hot pink base and baby pink designs on the top sheet) so everyone is looking at me like im riding my gf's board which leads to some funny explanations.

I see that a lot of you are saying they are good for jibs which is consistent with what i have experienced so far. It lock onto rails perfect. The narrower maximum stance has also shown me how easy it is to press this thing out. Lets just say that my overall riding style has become much better on this board.

I should be back on the hill tomorrow so I am going to take it off the 35-45ft jumps and see how it works out. So far the only issue i have experienced with larger jumps is when coming out of a spin bigger than a 3, i normally land a little back foot heavy. With such a small board i tend to wash out a lot when i should be landing. Strait airs arnt really an issue considering i land normal. Im going to take it off the bigger ones and see how that works out.

This is also going to sound pretty crazy but.. we just got a bunch of new pow so i will be temped on just taking a couple powder runs with it. I know im going to use this board for a regular powder board, but I am curious about how it will hold up in the event I do decide to shred some pow. Ill just have to prepare myself for a very sore leg from having to manual the dam thing.

Thanks again for the replies, it gives me a lot more confidence taking the "gf's" board out and whipping it around the mtn knowing im not the only one doing so.

edit... i meant " i know im NOT going to use this board as a regular powder board"
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by ncc719

[QUOTE=ncc719

, it gives me a lot more confidence taking the "gf's" board out and whipping it around the mtn knowing im not the only one doing so.

haha, i think everyone does this, but no one admits to it.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:51pm
When I started riding, I had a 153 forever. Went to a 161 and now I've gone back down to 158. I'd like to go back down to a 154-152 just for some fun in the park. Seems like going smaller allows you to throw the board around alot more. But like others have said, definitely the longer deck for the bigger kickers / booters.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 2:17pm
man, makes me wanna take my gf's 145 violenza for a ride. Damn those polka dots!!!
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:17pm
Smaller = More control, my buddy does this with his 139, his go to is a 158 but when he feels like doing some stuff that needs to be nimble this is what he hits up probably not a bad move
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by AJD13

Smaller = More control, my buddy does this with his 139, his go to is a 158 but when he feels like doing some stuff that needs to be nimble this is what he hits up probably not a bad move

that sounds ridiculous, you sure about that?
his go to is a 158 yet he sizes down to a 139? LOL 
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 6:17pm
I am on the other end of the spectrum...I am the same weight as you and my freestyle board is a 155...powder board is a 158 20mm taper, and I have a speed board that is a 161... I have never liked small boards at speed but whatever that is just me...if you like it sweet.
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 6:26pm
I think the Stairmaster is cambered also which may be one of the differences you feel...not sure about the Kink
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 6:33pm
I am also on the other end of the spectrum. I'm the same weight as you and I have a 161.5 as an all mtn deck and now I'm using a 164 as well.

However, I was using a 151 jib stick last season and it held up fine, just was shaky on icy terrain. If it works and feels comfortable, then it should be fine.
Rhyme-Or-Reason View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 7:31am
I'm 5'8" 185lbs, and I went with a Rome Artifact 150cm as my jib board for this season. I love the feel on the shorter board, but it has its consequences. I wash out a lot more on the steeper runs and have jammed my ankle because of that. Either way, I love riding the thing.
ballinsicknasty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
my skate banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 7:35am
i have a 165 now but im bout to get a 153
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 10:06am
Downsizing is definitely fun for screwing around or buttering, but for riding at speed or on ice it quickly loses its appeal.

On the plus side, I notice that they do actually improve my carving ability, since you have to concentrate so much more on maintaining an edge.
ncc719 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 2:27pm
Yeah I noticed that there are definitely pros and cons to riding the smaller board ie speed, ice, pow, etc. It does feel noticeably unstable at higher speeds, but not enough to completely throw me off. The only thing that throws me off a little is the approach on the kickers, it feels sketchy cruising up on a less stable board which translates into a little bit of a sketchy landing. Other than that, I love whiping the thing around. Makes all the little tricks nd tweaks so much easier and so much more fun. I guess im just going to ride the heck out of it until I find enough reasons to go up in board size haha.
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 9:55pm
My normal board is a 152 Hero, but this season I've been riding a 146 Dominant park board, and even taking it on the black groomers, and I'm loving it. Like others have said, it's so fun to just throw it around.

(FYI...when you need to edit your post, click the 'Post Options' and pick edit post, then update :)
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
chramiji View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 10:39pm
im considering a signal park board, and i normally ride 158, (5'11 170 +-5 lbs.).. should i just get it as a 158 because i heard it may be too soft for anything else if i get it in a smaller size?

im looking to ride this signal park rocker for mostly doing some ground tricks, and cruising down slopes.. no real intentions for jumps or anything really high speed...

the only real experience i have is 156 or 158, 156 was quite jittery but it was a ride board, camber, while the 158 was nice and smooth to ride, but its a rocker...

any advice here? (sorry for thread jack, i dont know if i should start a new thread while we are kinda on the topic... lol)
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 2:28pm
im 5'10 160 and i have a 153 pusher and a 144 saloman something i just mess with and its super fun to just ride around with it. i say if you can ride and you dont have any problems with it. whats stopping you?
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 1:04pm
my buddy is @220lbs on a signal park rocker 154.
i laughed before his first run, got jealous at the end of the run.
he looked stretchy once in a while, but it's way more fun than scary.
anything that's bigger than small is gonna feel fishy, but he got used to it.
pow is the funnest day ever wit tis board. is the shape that allows it to float.
at speed, is not stable b/c there's no edge control. but it can be stable if you learn how to ride it differently. i'm 130lbs on a 152 flat kick and he is goin wit me at my top speed wit no problem.
he can rotate, butter and press it wit ease. ollie off the ying yang. landing though.... fishy most of the time.

Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:08pm
haha... I was looking into just this; a 157 wide for throwing around. But all that is left is a 154 wide. Confused I usually ride 164 and had a 161, 158 and even 156 once. But never this small @ 154!Big smile

However, I think I may just pull the trigger on this based on above comments. I have (2) 164's and will be getting either a 160 or 157 Proto CTX next season. So, 154 should fill in fine.

SPECS: 190, 6-2, 11.5

Thnx for OP. Wink

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAMEā€¦ THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 2:00am
I have a 156 Crew and 155 Rev Crew and am thinking about getting the 152 mid-life or 151 Bataleon Evil Twin.  I want more control under my feet.  I am surprised many more don't do this!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 2:08am
smaller board usually = easier to maneuver at slower speeds, worse at higher speeds and during more aggressive riding

larger board = harder at slower speeds but much more stable at higher speeds and during more aggressive riding.  i also find that as you go up in speed as well as size, control balances out.  downsizing the board + downsizing speed kinda balances out as well.

it depends where you are on the spectrum.  some of the things in here suggest that i might find a low 150s easier to control, but i find it to be way sketchy, because im on the fast and aggressive end of the spectrum.  if i rode slow on mellow stuff all the time then i dont think id have as much fun on my boards though.  that being said, i dont consider my standard 58s to be big at all for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply