Waxing my Snowboard

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shredhead16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waxing my Snowboard
    Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 5:50am
Hey guys I was wondering what I am doing wrong when I wax my snowboard. By the way at this point I am riding in either slushy warm conditions in the day and icy crystalline conditions at night.

1: clean off base

2: Melt wax with Iron onto the base of the snowboard, then spreading the wax around in a somewhat even layer.

(I just found out recently that the wax I was using was the green wax by burton, which is apparently some sprt of a rub on wax. I then bought some new wintersteiger wax for $10 which seems a lot better so far but I live in michigan and the place where I ride the conditions have changed so I cant tell if tje wax was the problem, my technique, or just the conditions. )

3: Let base cool and the scrape the wax off of the board.

It takes me a really long time to scrape the wax , like 30 minutes generally , is this normal?

4: (i only did this the last time I waxed) Take a nylon brush after wax has been scraped off and scrape at 45 degree angle both ways, creating a diamond weave pattern.

if you guys have any tips for me they would be greatly appreciated.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 6:14am
there's not much you can do to get around the slowness of slush - I won't get into the physics of why...it's just slow. However, your wax technique does need improvement:

The more wax you put on, the longer time it takes to scrape off.  The less wax you put on, the more difficult it is to iron in evenly.  There's a balance you'll need to find.

It sounds like you're not scraping ALL the wax off and skipping the Scotchbrite pad process.  You need to scrape off as much wax as possible, without scraping off your structure (again, find that balance).  Scotchbrite will "pre-brush" the base and expose any under-scraped areas.  Only Scotchbrite parallel to the edges (straight from tip to tail and vise versa).

Brush only after Scotchbrite pad and brush only straight from tip to tail and vise versa...Whoever told you to brush at 45 degrees is wrong, since the structure stone ground into the base already has that built-in.
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:18am
I use Swix wax, but get on the Swix web site and they have some very informative videos regarding waxing. Not sure if you've tried, but YouTube has a ton of good videos also.
ghostsnstuff View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ghostsnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:23am
"here's not much you can do to get around the slowness of slush"

hes pretty much right, ive waxed my board millions of ways and still, in slush, same
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 8:04am
Okay thank you. Early I waxed my board and I feel like I did a good even spread, bettter than before. I am going to go scrape now, I will try the techniques that you described.
hawkeyepnx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hawkeyepnx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 8:21am
i usually take and buff the bottom of my board with and old cotton sock. tip to tail and vice versa. It make sure to channel the water off the board nicely and its a good way to see that the wax is on even. Thats my personal opinion.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 8:43am
I'd recommend buying wax in bulk if you are a frequent waxer.  It'll cost about double what you get for a small bar, and it'll give you 10x as much.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
jman254 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jman254 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 11:37am
crap it takes me like 45 minutes to scrape wax because i make sure i do not miss a spot. I've found that a little silicone spray afterwards rubbed into the wax helps with slush and is gone before it gets really cold durng the nighttime so it doesn't freeze.
beunknown View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote beunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 12:23pm
Agreed, slush is just hard to get the most speed you can out of it. It's funny, I'm one of the faster boarders out of my friends in most conditions (ice, powder) but in slush I am almost always last. So it could also have to do with ridding technique. No diamond brushing, but that was said about.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 12:38pm
there's a theory that the deeper the structure, the less suction is created between the base and slush.  So, at least, try to brush as much wax out of the structure as possible (tip to tail...no angles!)
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 3:16pm
Good lord, 30-45 minutes to scrape wax??? I wax, let it sit, and then scrape for 3 minutes, brush, and head out riding!
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 3:27pm
use a emtal scraper. ALOT faster than plastic. need to use less force also
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 4:10pm
Ya jenni, thats what I was wondering. I have a plastic scraper, I guess I'll try to pick up a metal one. But today it only took me like 10 minutes.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 5:28pm
at one point i did a good amount of research on waxing at home and ive never heard of the brush thing, making 45 degree strokes and creating the diamond

anyways here's what i know

for starters, you should know if you have a board with an extruded base, or a sintered base. For an extruded base board, wax does NOT sit well onto the board regardless if you're following the "correct" waxing process. save yourself some time, its okay to do a sloppy job on extruded boards because the wax will come off after a day or 2 of riding. rub-on wax is a good alternative

now for sintered bases, this is worth doing a careful job. i thought 30 minutes for scrapping off the wax is a bit long too. usually the scrapping off is quick, just 5 minutes or so. what takes a long time though is BUFFING, which usually takes me 15 minutes or so.
yechiboarder770 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yeah for it!

Quote yechiboarder770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 5:33pm
Just got a cheap iron from wal mart, can't wait to get my home wax on and save some cash!
Lilclemo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Lilclemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 5:48pm
use the green side of a kitchen sponge and buff from tip to tail, makes the base really smooth and fast
geebet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote geebet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:22pm
I think the diamond structure is done with a machine.

Still slush is tricky, maybe try to DIY your board into a banana shape?
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote skyfooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:43pm
READ THIS!!!!!!!      YOU ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off you are waxing wrong and second you need different wax. OK, go onto EBAY and type in racewax it will pop up right away. Click on the first hit then on the right side click on the name of the seller "racewax". Then scroll down a little bit and click on store or their little emblem. On the left click on basic ski snowboard wax and get the "RaceWax Warm/Cold Hydrocarbo‚Äčn Wax, 300 g, Two 150g Bars". this will set u up for pretty much like 4 years at least. Now for how to wax your board:

1. Melt wax and drip it along board
2. quickly spread all the wax out on the board so it covers the entire thing
3. let sit for 10 mins
4. scrape off just top layer of wax 1 or two times across the board/ only take about 30 seconds
5. melt wax and drip it along board again
6. repeat step 2
7. start from the end of the board and move slowly across it with the iron don't apply much pressure but keep it as smooth as possible
8. do this until you have done the entire board
9. let it sit for about ten minutes
10. scrape just the top layer of the way off/it should take 30 seconds at the most
11. try to make it as smooth as possible when you scrape off the wax / don't leave bumps/'DO NOT REMOVE ALL OF THE WAX JUST A LITTLE BIT'

YOU ARE NOW GOOD TO GO AND YOUR BOARD WILL BE MUCH FASTER
I would wax every 5 to 9 times depending on how fast your board becomes slowREAD THISREAD THIS
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:57pm
Thanks skyfooze, ill be sure to try that out the next time that I wax.
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:58pm
So many wax threads but this was on top so I'll just say it here. I just waxed my board today for the first time. Looks kinda bleaaah. Not really what I thought but I guess it would serve its purpose. Anyone have tips to waxing. Im not talking about steps but tips that you can only get through lots of practice.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2011 at 7:59pm
Oh, and apparently the diamond weave texture or whatever is supposed to cut throught the water and stuff, i read on some online diy.
baracs View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote baracs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 1:52am
Shouldn't diamond texture be slower since it holds the water?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 4:16am
ya probably, that would make a lot more sense.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 5:31am
Originally posted by baracs

Shouldn't diamond texture be slower since it holds the water?

l think he means xxxx formation
                           xxxx

it really dpeends o nthe riding you do. l'm directional so l basically go straight only, not to mention l'm the charging type
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:17am
this site is retarted.  I just gave you the right answer and then some other dude chimes in and tells u to leave wax on and not even scotchbrite (much less brush) and you're all : "o.k., I'll do that"...that will leave you with a slow board for days!!!...especially in slush.   Guaranteed, I will smoke the sh!t out of him with my wax technique.
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote steezmastaflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:30am
the longer you let your board cool with wax the more the wax will sink in...make sure you don't scrape your board for at least an hour if you want the wax to really stay in the board for a while. Some people say it doesn't matter but my friend and I have the same extruded board and he scrapes his immediately and the wax definitely stays on mine longer as I leave it on for a few hours before scraping it off...just a thought you might want to consider
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:34am
thanks guys
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote wdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:40pm
It is actually fine to use the nylon brush at 45-degree angles to create some structure in the wax to help slushy wet spring-conditions snow channel away from the board better.  You just have to realize that you are not actually creating base structure here, just cutting a bit of structure into the wax.  If you don't buff/brush the base after you scrape the wax off, your board will pretty much stick to the snow since the smooth wax surface will create surface tension with the snow.

Additionally, I would *not* suggest using a metal scraper to scrape wax - the metal scraper is really for scraping p-tex, and if you are not careful or not sure what you are doing, you could damage the base with it.  If you feel that you are putting too much wax on the board and it is taking you a really long time to scrape it off, I'd suggest repeatedly heating/melting the wax with the iron and just rubbing the wax onto the board in a thin layer instead of using the very popular drip method (you still smooth it all out with the iron, of course).  From my experience, this makes it easier to get a nice even thin coat of wax on the base so you don't have to scrape as much off (makes sense economically too - scraped off wax is just wasted).  Good luck figuring out what works best for you :).
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 6:52pm
I actually wrote a guide for this if you wanna check it out.
http://sbcommon.com/index.php?topic=3.0

But yeah. Metal is not usually necessary. It's faster, but it's pretty dangerous. Honestly, the way that I've heard it works is that the brush structures the base to facilitate proper movement of water and snow through the base.

You should definitely read the tognar.com guides to waxing too... They have super good advice on how to optimize your waxing experience.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 4:38pm
Well, of course now it is cold again and we just got a foot of fresh snow, so this is less applicable. I think the reason why it took me so long to scrape wax off was that the one time I left the wax on for like 36 hours, and it took a long time to scrape, then the next time I left it on for about 20 minutes and it came off in about 7 minutes
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 4:57pm
Ok thats good info to know bro thanks! 
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 7:11pm
So after not having scraped off all the extra wax. I went boarding thinking that the snow would smoothen it out. I now see these white splotches on the bottom of my board. I guess those are areas where the board is imperfect? Or where the wax gathered? Anyway, should I scratch those parts off?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 10:27am
are they white, like a waxy white, or a dry cracked white?
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 10:36am
wait what? is everybody right here because I see so many different waxing techniques
tjeddrey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tjeddrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 10:39am
nobody is gonna agree with this i know but... my friend bout some of the swix warm weather melt/rub on. we just rub it on 1 or 2 times a day in the slush it helps alot probably not as well as melt in but it takes 45 seconds and we can do it at the hill
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 12:31pm
The best way to find different techniques is to just youtube how to iron a snowboard.  They have a lot of videos.  Most of them are about the same, but normally have a little bit different ways of doing it.  That and a lot of practice, and you'll be a pro in no time flat.  Don't give up, doing it yourself saves you money you can use for lift passes!
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 12:39pm
Kind of both, a waxy white thats sorta cracked in some areas. not really dry
Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aus_Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 2:23pm
Have a look at this site.  It is a great resource.  It gets run out on the TruSnow every couple of years.

http://www.tognar.com/waxing_tips_ski_snowboard.html
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2011 at 11:08pm
everyone goes slow in slush.  just dont speed check as often.

sometimes its not even the wax job, its the dirt and oil that accumulates from riding spring conditions.  i just do a hot scrape.  melt wax, iron it, and remove it a few minutes later if not right away.  works fine for me in the slush.

unless you're racing, i dont think u should worry about wax patterns, warm temp wax, etc. 
dance like no one's watching
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 6:44pm
Sometimes I'll heat the wax an extra time after letting it cool so it soaks into the base a bit more. It seems to help on days with worse conditions.
aecho1231 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
monster

Quote aecho1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 7:04pm
try to youtube it, that will help!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 12:21pm
I have, many times
you can win awesome prizes, just click the link below!
uncivilbanks View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote uncivilbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 12:25pm
i dont know man, i dont wax my boards i let the wxer on the mountain do it or i go without.  now waxing rails for grinding skates is another thingWink
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 11:28am
what do you mean waxing rails? r u talking about skateboarding?
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by shredhead16

what do you mean waxing rails? r u talking about skateboarding?

Most likely.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 1:07pm
when you clean the base are you using base cleaner? that might prevent the wax from holding to your base. you dont need to use base cleaner every time you wax
muddog257 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote muddog257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 1:52pm
Yeah bro the time to take the wax off is normal thats about how long it takes me.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2011 at 1:54pm
okay, thats good to hear muddog257.
 Post Reply Post Reply