Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand Wax vs. Machine Wax
    Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 2:35pm
I'm planning on going boarding tomorrow morning. I went to Sport's Chalet to get my board waxed. They said machine wax is $5 about 10 minutes (1-2 time use). Hand wax is $10 about 24 hrs (better). He said to pay $10 and come back in 2 hrs (near closing time). If he can't hand wax it in time, then he'll just machine wax it for free and I can come back another day to get it hand wax. So I paid $10 and left.

My question is: How can I tell if he hand waxed my board or used machine wax when I go back to get my board in 2 hrs??
tomwantssnow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tomwantssnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 3:02pm
I don't know how you can tell while you're there, but on the hill it will feel like you have bad wax, and it will need to be re-done sooner
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 4:21pm
your probably not going to be able to tell.  but a machine wax wont last as long.  I would just go in a couple of days later and tell them your story. 
I make handmade longboards PM me for info.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2011 at 4:36pm
Since I'm a beginner, I don't know how to tell if my wax isn't good. I don't know what it's suppose to feel like
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 5:44am
Check the board out at the end of the day (after riding it) and if it looks like it needs to be waxed again then you know it was done on the machine.
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 5:59am
You can just ask the person if they used a machine or hand waxed it cant you? Are they not trustworthy? If you are that worried about the quality of the wax job i recommend you learn how to wax it yourself. From videos and looks very easy.
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 6:20am
I would just learn how to wax yourself.  It isnt difficult at all.  All you need is an old iron and some wax.  Then you dont have to pay $10 each time you get a hot wax!  The wax i use (one ball jay all temp) is abut $8 at my local shop and has at least 8 good hot waxes to it.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 6:35am
check if they removed all the wax from the edge, if they dont, then its a person probably =)
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 6:48am

Though it's too late for the OP, I'll offer my $0.02 to help others who might be wondering. If there is no evidence of unscraped wax on your edges (as kel mentioned), do the "finger nail" test. Scraping your nail on your base should give a decent shaving of wax if it was ironed in. If it was machined on, very little (if any) would come off.

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 7:05am
I agree with the others. Buy an iron specifically made for waxing, watch some YouTube videos on waxing, go to the Swix website and also check out the videos there. Once you learn how to wax your own board, you won't have to worry if the person who is waxing your board is doing a quality job or not. You'll spend a little more up front, but in the long run you'll save yourself time and money by doing it yourself. The crappy thing about the machine wax is all the crap that is on the bottom of other boards is on the roller for the machine, so when you wax your board with the machine, that dirt and crud gets transferred to your board. I'd highly recommend doing your own waxes.
sshredd View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote sshredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 10:34am
hand wax hands down
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote skyfooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 10:38am
the hand wax will probably have lines in it and the machine wax may look shinyer but it all depends on how he hand waxes it. if he used brushes at the end it will have streaks along the bottom and that is a hand wax most likely
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 6:22am
they told me it was a 24 hour turn around for hand wax, but when I came back 2.5 hrs later my board was done. Which makes me think that it was machine waxed and they claimed that it was hand waxed. There was no wax on the edges.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 6:56am
Originally posted by rurchan

they told me it was a 24 hour turn around for hand wax, but when I came back 2.5 hrs later my board was done. Which makes me think that it was machine waxed and they claimed that it was hand waxed. There was no wax on the edges.

it only takes 10 minutes to wax a board by hand...
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 7:02am

1.Stop by the Salvation army or SOS and grab an iron for $2.50.  

2.Buy a scraper for 5 bucks, or you can use a putty kninfe.

3. Buy some wax

4. Get waxing
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
RedLego View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote RedLego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 10:06am
If you really want to take care of your board, learn to do it yourself since its easy plus it saves you money in the long run.
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Cmartins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 5:55am
Watched a few vid on waxing and always wondered how do u know when to stop scrapping wax off your board? do u go till nothing is left?? or is there supposed to be some left behind?? maybe i missed that part of the video lol
talldude View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote talldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 9:00am
You can't scrape too much. Keep scraping until nothing comes off. And you should hold the scraper at a <90 degree angle to the direction you're scraping (i.e. tilted TOWARD the direction you're scraping).
c6mpact View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Jed & Christine

Quote c6mpact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 9:11am
Good info on this thread all! I am new to boarding (well I have been 3 times in 2 years but not longer than 2 days in a row) and am really ignorant. All the info I know is from my buddy that lived in Denver for a couple years, and after reading things on here, I am not too sure he knows all that he says he does. I have a couple of Q's.

When do you need to wax your board? My wife just bought me a new board before we went to Breck and I used it for 2 days. Do I need to wax it now? Sorry for the ultra noob questions.
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 9:23am
Originally posted by talldude

You can't scrape too much. Keep scraping until nothing comes off. And you should hold the scraper at a <90 degree angle to the direction you're scraping (i.e. tilted TOWARD the direction you're scraping).

I'm pretty sure I heard/saw this once on a tuning clinic video, but I've never been able to succesfully scrape that way.  They say it's to "push" the wax into the base instead of scraping it off/out.  However, I can only get the wax to come off when I scrape it the second way.  Examples:

"Pushing" wax in:

____\_____  <-- Direction of scrape

Pulling/Scraping wax out (how I do it):

____/______ <-- Direction of scrape
http://thench.com/garage/
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 10:43am
Definitely consider learning to wax on your own.  It's easy to pick up, and the money and time you'll save over just a year will be significant.  24 hour turnaround?  It sounds like a huge hassle, not even counting driving to and from the place.
TGozdor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TGozdor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 10:48am
Waxing your board is soo relaxing, the scent of the wax is nice
Torstein explains it her ----->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giCs8F_6lE8
zSukist View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote zSukist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 10:59am
dude yea, especially if u have a sented wax..lol
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

Originally posted by talldude

I'm pretty sure I heard/saw this once on a tuning clinic video, but I've never been able to succesfully scrape that way.  They say it's to "push" the wax into the base instead of scraping it off/out.  However, I can only get the wax to come off when I scrape it the second way.  Examples:

"Pushing" wax in:

____\_____  <-- Direction of scrape

Pulling/Scraping wax out (how I do it):

____/______ <-- Direction of scrape
I usually scrape the way the tuning video you saw said to do.  It helps a lot if you have a sharp scraper.  Just take a file or even your edge tool file at a 90 degree to the scraper and sharpen it.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 12:14pm
If you don't want to do your own hand wax job then you can always do rub on wax.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
packfan4ever View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote packfan4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 4:04pm
learn how to hand hot wax for sure. its so much cheaper, easy, and you can make some $ from your friends that are new to boarding and dont know how to wax and are to lazy to learn
daevilbeast View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote daevilbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 4:07pm
wax on wax off :O)
Cmartins View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Cmartins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 2:44am
TGOZ that video was funny!!
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote wdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 1:59pm
In 2.5 hours they definitely could have hand-waxed your board - their official "turnaround time" may be 24 hours, but it certainly doesn't take that long to do the job.  I think in this case, you may just have to trust they told you the truth (unless you really feel otherwise after you ride the board).  Personally, I can't imagine a shop like that trying to con you out of $5, and truthfully, $10 is a pretty good deal for a board wax (much cheaper if you do it yourself, of course, but for the service, you didn't overpay).
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 11:57am
I know this sounds stupid but when I got my board back and smelled the scent, i was like SWEET!! It's smells good, haha
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by rurchan

I know this sounds stupid but when I got my board back and smelled the scent, i was like SWEET!! It's smells good, haha

k, thanks a lot for the response. Especially since you were the only one who really answered my question :p
seulenstein1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote seulenstein1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 12:09am
even tho this thread is a year old, it spanned 3 years, so im gonna post in it.

disclaimer: im not an expert, but i have waxed my own snowboards for years.

the easiest way to tell if they machine waxed or hand waxed your board is if there is any wax drippings on the edges/sidewall of your board. if there is, it was hand waxed. but there shouldnt be any wax on the edge of the board, if there is it was lazily hand waxed.

as for everyone telling you to wax your own boards, you shouldn't. they say you only need an iron and wax. thats BS. to do a proper wax you need an iron, wax, a decent scraper, preferably a vice, a scraper cleaner/sharpener, and edging tool, and a little bit of experience. plus you're gonna make a huge mess of the iron you use and the room you wax in.
also, don't take advice from any tuning/detuning guide you read cause it might not suit your riding style at all.

the best thing to do is go to a shop you trust, give them at least 24 hours and tell them exactly what you want. i.e. tuned edges, or detuned, or where you want the detune to start at.

if you do decide to wax your own boards. make sure you scrape off all the wax and do so in a pulling motion rather then a prying motion. you wanna push the wax into the pores of the board and remove any wax remaining on the surface.

rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 3:10pm
thanks. I saw my dad's friends do this whole process in their cabin garage and even though it probably saves money. It is a long process with a bunch of tools that I don't have. Plus cleaning up all the wax. I'm too much of a neat freak to just leave the wax on the floor. I saw my other friends just wax the board without edging and they seemed so amateur compared to my dad's friends. I think I'll stick to getting a shop to do it.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 4:29pm
^It's really not all that tough to do.  We've been doing our own boards for years.  Once you get the tools they'll last for a while if you take care of them.  I personally like doing my own tuning, makes me feel more connected to my board.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by snowj720

^It's really not all that tough to do.  We've been doing our own boards for years.  Once you get the tools they'll last for a while if you take care of them.  I personally like doing my own tuning, makes me feel more connected to my board.

Is waxing good for your board? I rarely wax my board. I bring it to the shop only like once a year.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 6:36pm
waxing is what allows your board to slide properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply