Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fiend138 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chair Lift
    Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 4:45am
I'm still fairly new to the sport and while I continue to get better, there's still one area that gives me fits. Does anyone have any good tips for getting off the chair lift, or is this just something I will improve at as time goes by?
teuhsb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 4:50am
If it's slow enough, I usually push myself off the lift. Otherwise, I've been told to keep my legs straight and let the chair push you down or use your hand to push off the chair. You'll get used to it.
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 4:52am
it can be hard at times, i still fall every once in a while, i try to just stand on my board and put my hand on the lift and let it push me away, then i just go straight unless there are people in the way
casanovaa0 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:25am
in the beginning i like to tell people to keep the toes of the loose foot hanging off the board a bit with your heal on the stomp pad. this will allow you to dig into the snow a little when getting off so give you the option to "brake". this will automatically turn your board as well.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:27am
try to time it so you don't roll off at the same time as all of the other jokers around you.  Sometimes easier said than done, but like you mentioned you'll get a feel for it as you move on.  ONe-footing on a sb is not a natural thing, but as you practice you'll learn to control it in any situation. 

-b
get bent
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:30am
Chair lifts are just things that you have to get used to.... I'm usually the last to get off the lift because I don't want to get caught up in someone else's board/skiis
RoseBud View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW kickin my butt

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:36am
This topics been done!! Try a search and you will have immediate answers and advice Clap
Like everything else in snowboarding, it's all preference!
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:37am

I like to put the board down, stand up with my legs bent and let the seat of the chair push me down the ramp. I always thought it was counterintuitive but the people who taught me said to lean forward a little bit while going down the ramp helps to stabilize you.

Magulley View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nananananana!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:39am
Let the chair do all the work.  Make sure you get your board pointing straight as it touches the snow and get good footing on your board whether you use a stomp pad or not.  I usually keep one hand on the seat and let the chair push me forward. Don't worry about turning too fast or anything hopefully people clear the unloading area quickly enough for you not to worry about it.

I've definately taken a few spills because people wipe out and the lift operator wasn't paying attention.

Just takes practice and some getting used to but you'll figure it out.
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 5:44am
The best thing will be more practice riding one footed.
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
fiend138 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 12:40pm
I'm fine when it comes to riding with my foot on the stomp pad, I'm just terrible at getting my foot on the stomp pad.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 12:51pm
the slower you go, there will be more friction under the board.
try to go a little faster to loosen up the friction under the board by pushing off the chair wit your back hand just a little.
also, lean front a little, you'll have more control and easier to control you balance this way than just trying to stand straight up or lean back.
the best way is to grab on to your buddy that's next to you...LoL.
don't worry bout it too much, you get it soon enough. have fun.
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 12:55pm
HAHA I keep getting hot by the lift when it turns...the better mountain, the faster the chair! Get out of its way!
muddog257 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 12:56pm
If you have a stomp pad it makes a world of differance when getting off of the lift. And if you are regular get on the rightermost part and if you are goofy get on the leftermost part.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 12:58pm
For me, it depends on the type of board I'm riding.  For a camber, I find it easier to ease on out and stop on heel or drag my boot in the snow.  For a rocker, I find it easier to ease on out and stop on toe.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by teuhsb

If it's slow enough, I usually push myself off the lift. Otherwise, I've been told to keep my legs straight and let the chair push you down or use your hand to push off the chair. You'll get used to it.
Ive been told the opposite.
When you're getting closer to the top, aim the board forward and use both hands to help you stand up. Once you're standing and your back foot is rested on the board/against the back binding, gently push yourself forward (I usually wait for the others to go first). Lean forward slightly and knees bent for more control. Using your back foot to brake will turn your board, so don't use it too much, unless you want to turn/stop completely. 
Most important bit is to Look up. Look 5-10meters in front of you and shouldn't have any problems with falling over.
I'm a beginner with 6days under my sleeve, Never had a problem from day1 following these steps. 
If only Queensland had snow...
Jarryd View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 2:42pm
what i do and the advice i give people is prepare, give yourself enough time to position yourself on the seat in the ready position

i always line my board up ready to get off and get on it, last thing you want is to be tangled with another rider when its almost time to get off

i put my stomppad when i use one close to my back binding so i can find it if its covered in snow, so i stand up and push off the chair at the same times then while doing that im putting my back foot hard up against my back binding and on my stomp pad to a can steer and not have my foot sliding around. then i keep my knees bent and watch what im doing.

when i go with new people i always make them sit on the side of the chair at one of the ends
that way i can keep an eye on them and hold their waist so they can get a feel for it or hold them up if i need to, and if they fall they dont cause everyone else to fall over as well

but yeah it takes time to get used to it. everyone falls off the lift just rememebr that!
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 2:47pm
It's something that takes time, to this day I occasionally get off the chair wrong and crash people, a good stomp pad helps alot.
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 2:49pm
hold the chair. place ur back foot on the board, dont try to turn. and push yourself off when u feel balanced. 
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 6:38pm
when you're starting out, move to the outside seats so you can push yourself off and to the right/left and stay out of everyone's way.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Costell14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 6:58pm
If you do happen to fall while getting off move out of the way! Nothing grinds my gears more than when someone falls getting off the chair and sits there in shock. Please roll your useless body to the side so that I don't hit you. Thank You
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 7:29pm
Scoot up a bit on the chair/turn your front shoulder forward a bit to get your board pointed straight(er) - If you have to scoot up a good amount be sure to hold on the the chair with your hand in case it makes a sudden stop so you dont fall off.
Use both or one hand to push off - push off of whatever feels natural usually either the front of the seat or the arm rest if you're on the side. Don't push to hard to start, you'll also notice you'll kind of push yourself forward when you stand up the chair will push your back leg. Stand up with your legs and use your hands to help and keep you centered, and put the majority of your weight on your front foot but use your back foot to help guide your board.

Also practice gliding (with 1 boot strapped in) on flat ground and on mellow slopes, practice turning and getting your center of gravity like that so you'll feel more comfortable when riding off.

When you get more comfortable, on a slow lift/slow day when not many people are on the lift try getting off by just using your back leg let the chair push you, without using your hands at all - if you can do this then getting off should always be cake.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 7:41pm
I find if you don't look down at your feet, keep your head up helps heaps. I still really hate getting off step chairlifts when the snow is icey it creeps me out and when you fall it kills your knees.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 8:36pm
plant ur board properly in the direction of travel. then let the chair push u forward..
fiend138 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 1:15pm
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. Today went a thousand times better. Letting the chair push me forward was a big help. Before I would be in a rush, almost a panic even, and try to push myself off. Today I just took it nice and easy, and while I was far from perfect, it was a huge improvement.
eschmunk View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 1:25pm
if your regular don't sit on the left of a goofy rider. you will bump into each other when you try to stand up and then you both fall over. happened to me this weekend :(
Chif View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 1:43pm
Yeah it can get a bit daunting when it's almost time to get off and you'll panik. Now that you're slowing down and thinking through what you need to do, you'll be less paniky and go 1000 times better.
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 1:47pm
Initially I found riding on the far left of the chair to be the easiest (as a natural footer)...as you can just make a little heelside turn off the lift.

I still prefer riding on the edge of the chair, but these days its the right side...so that I can dangle my board without any issues
Search the SierraSnowboard.Com Forums at:

http://tinyurl.com/sierraforumbygoogle

<Fine Tuning to Come>
DazedDozer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tremblant

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 1:44pm
I find that a foot stomp helps. That and just don't expect to fall and you won't. Half the time if you're afraid of falling, thats exactly whats gonna make you fall.

Hehe, that reminded me of that scene from the Matrix, where Neo meets the Oracle for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqFPDrDWAHs

Jaybez View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 5:04am
I find it easier to sit on the outside seat if possible. There is usually less complications out there. You don't have people on both sides when unloading, so you don't get hung up in some of the Chaos. Plus, you won't get hooked if you take longer getting off because that part of the chair takes the longest to come around.
BillyHoyle89 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 1:46pm
Yeah I always try to take an outside seat just because it makes it easier. That and the mates I ride with get annoyed with my board being in the way as i'm a goofy setup. Just make sure the board is flat and straight, use the seat to help you balance and just pop up and off.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 1:51pm
I'm a "stand up and let the chair shove me down the ramp" kind of guy.  
Also, if possible, don't try to turn/stop until your speed has diminished a bit from the ramp.  And keep those knees bent a bit.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 1:59pm
a) make sure none of your clothes are gonna snag
b) stay low when you push off of the lift that will make the biggest difference, make sure your not standing straight up cause youll have no balance
c) learn now to steer with one foot in by dragging a foot and turning on a very small slope...it may sound rediculous but it is the quickest way to learn...except for repeated chair lift laps of course
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:00pm
my bro might be reading this but he's probably the worst ever when it comes to chairlift..kid you not, it took him a season and 1/4 before he got it down..he would literally fall off hard every time he got off the lift..scared of the speed sliding down..he tends to put his other foot to prevent the board from gaining momentum..due to that he'd do a faceplant..lol..

but yeah, just ride it out..use your stomp pad (if you have them)..also you can use the chairlift while it's pushing you to help you with your balance..
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by steezmastaflex

c) learn now to steer with one foot in by dragging a foot and turning on a very small slope...it may sound rediculous but it is the quickest way to learn...except for repeated chair lift laps of course

I think using your heel is a lot more efficient (with the rest of your foot a good stomp pad) than dragging your foot behind you. You're just asking to snag it and mess yourself up. 
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Originally posted by steezmastaflex

I think using your heel is a lot more efficient (with the rest of your foot a good stomp pad) than dragging your foot behind you. You're just asking to snag it and mess yourself up. 

You're also making it much harder to turn to your toe edge if your back foot isn't on the board
Search the SierraSnowboard.Com Forums at:

http://tinyurl.com/sierraforumbygoogle

<Fine Tuning to Come>
Stanky13 View Drop Down
Local
Local
day one of my new addiction

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 11:10am
all these tips are much appreciated.
i have had the worst luck on lifts. if there are 3 or less people i dont seem to have much of a problem but when there are 4 i eat it every time. im not perfect and might stumble around a little but i can usually make it off in one piece if it isnt too crowded

people turn into me, fall in front of me, put their snowboard on top of mine so i cant move and just get plowed over by the lift.... its all bad. 

i guess next time i will take it slow until everyone else clears out.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 12:33pm
While on the chair, look to see where the hottest girl is sitting. At the top of the lift, try to land on her when you get off the lift. LOL
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 8:45am
I always try and sit on one side or the other of the chair.  That way, when everybody gets off the lift, I always have an out.  If everybody starts to stack it up and fall, if there is an open spot on either side of you, take it, and let everybody else fall while you stay upright and ride away.  I hate it when somebody is falling off the lift and they grab onto you only to pull you down with them.  That'l piss me off.  I'm no pro, but I couldn't tell you the last time I fell getting of a chair lift.  I also like what Lightning80 suggested!  I'm gonna try it Lightning80!
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 9:23am
Make sure your board is placed properly on the snow and pointing toward the direction you want to go.  Place your back/free foot on the board so that it is kind of pressing against the back binding for some extra support.  Then just stand up - just standing up is probably the best advice I ever got on this topic.
viereck View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Burton Board Amazing

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2011 at 9:32am
If you dont have a stomp pad that could help you out a lot another suggestion when your getting off the lift take your none strapped foot and push it back against the binding you'll have a little more control this way.
actekboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me 2011

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by viereck

If you dont have a stomp pad that could help you out a lot another suggestion when your getting off the lift take your none strapped foot and push it back against the binding you'll have a little more control this way.

i do the same thing too...
B1-5G View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2011 at 7:48pm
I had really bad issues with this too when I learned to ride. It's so much worse when you're on a lift that doesn't disconnect from the cable and you go into the unloading area at full speed. What I learned though, as mentioned several times, sit on the outside of the chair. Depending on whether you are goofy, sit on the side where you can turn outwards comfortably. For me, I ride left foot forward and sit on the left hand side so when I leave the chair, I make a heel turn for the outside and if anything goes wrong I let my heel grind into the snow to stop me and if you fall at least you are out of the way since you are turning outside anyways, Just don't turn and fall off a mountain or something. Also, you can invest in stomp pads, those help out a ton. I put mine right next to my binding so i can just push my foot out towards my binding and it'll land perfectly on the pad and rest against the binding for extra control. If you are nervous about unloading just talk to the other rides, see what direction they are going and try to go the opposite. I do this all the time to avoid crossing paths.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2011 at 10:23pm
When I first started, I would take the outside seat in case I needed to bail. But some chair lifts are faster than others so it kinda depends on whether you should push off. But just make sure to keep a good balance the moment you stand up to exit the lift. Also a good stomp pad will help give grip for your other foot. But it's mostly practice.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2011 at 10:54pm
I found the lifts in japan super easy. It was my first time up on the mountain and i got the impression that everyone ate sh*t the first time they came off. but i was fine with them, didn't fall off once in the whole week. i just positioned myself properly and pushed off the chair when i needed to.. easy stuff.

but i guess it really depends on the speed of the lifts, whether you've got time to get into the right position or not.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2011 at 10:58pm
the toughest thing about boarding was learning to get off the lift.. and avoiding noobs who will take u down with them
Stanky13 View Drop Down
Local
Local
day one of my new addiction

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 3:40pm
i am a new rider myself and i definitely have my share of problems with getting off the lift but here is what little i have learned about the topic.

it helps me when i sit on one of the edges of the lift, if i am in the middle it is harder for me for some reason. it is probably all psychological but if anything goes wrong at least i have an out if i am sitting on the edge.

when the lift get close the unloading area i place my board so it is pointed straight, stand up, take a second to make sure i am balanced and push off the chairlift and glide. 

if things get a little crazy i try to stop or slow down early and let everyone pass me and then skate my way to where i gotta go before the next lift comes. either that or i just angle off to the side and away from everybody else so that i dont get in the way. 

i have only gone 3 times now, and this last time wasnt so bad. i only fell once and managed to not take out anybody while getting off the lift
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 4:55pm
The lifts are a weird animal definately find myself eating it the first few times if im at a dif mountain just getting used to the speeds especially if the ramp is super steep. Only thing i can say is what other people have said just let it guide you off
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 5:15pm
tell the people your riding the lift with that your a beginner and your gonna let them off of the lift before you...this way you get more space to manuever and if you fall you don't piss everyone off..also make sure you actually push off the chair so it doesn't nail you in the back (if its an old non detachable lift)
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 5:22pm
just try to do you best and tell the people next to you your a beginner and your learning
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>